Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

AzraelNewtype posted:

What's your tolerance for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZBsPSiS__U

If you can handle it without wanting to beat yourself, you're probably fine as it's a good series. It's just a fairly goofy series with some questionable humor. Also Mandora Boy.

I was waiting for a Goranger Hurricane-esque "The monster explodes for no reason" after it started dancing along, but sucker-punching it to death works too. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So we went to Eiga Mura when we were in Japan last week. My 4 year old absolutely loved it and his grandparents went a bit crazy and got him the entire Kyoryuger robot set. Shinkenger is his favorite series though, but he does love the little samba music that Gabbatyra plays.

Besides the sentai stuff, there was a great samurai show, and the movie set town was fun.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

AgentHaiTo posted:

So we went to Eiga Mura when we were in Japan last week. My 4 year old absolutely loved it and his grandparents went a bit crazy and got him the entire Kyoryuger robot set. Shinkenger is his favorite series though, but he does love the little samba music that Gabbatyra plays.

Besides the sentai stuff, there was a great samurai show, and the movie set town was fun.

That's the cutest god drat thing :3:. I'm going to catch up on Kyoryuger before I check out older series, but I'm pretty sure it makes me feel the same way I did when MMPR came out.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I decided to finish Shinkenger before starting Fourze but I got to the Decade crossover and stopped to watch that. I'm very interested but I only hear bad things about it. I really have no idea what's going on other than a vague "They cross dimensions and do stuff, worlds get destroyed?" Why is it hated? Are the fight scenes any better?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

RBX posted:

I decided to finish Shinkenger before starting Fourze but I got to the Decade crossover and stopped to watch that. I'm very interested but I only hear bad things about it. I really have no idea what's going on other than a vague "They cross dimensions and do stuff, worlds get destroyed?" Why is it hated? Are the fight scenes any better?

Decade just makes a big mess of things for no reason. You can skip the Decade crossover in Shinkenger without any worry.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RBX posted:

I really have no idea what's going on other than a vague "They cross dimensions and do stuff, worlds get destroyed?"

Oh, so you have seen Decade then.

No, seriously, that's all anybody got out of it because they never actually explain poo poo. Some individual episodes are fine, but its own story arc is meaningless and basically stops because they run out of episodes and movies to tell it in. It's honestly just not worth the time.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
I'd say just watch the two Decade episodes that are part of the crossover. You would understand more if you watched Decade to that point, but it's not necessary if you're just coming at it from caring about Shinkenger. I wouldn't skip the arc though, it's a fun one and includes for example a great episode of Chiaki and his dad, and focus on Jii.

If you do watch make sure to do it in the right order, episode 20 of Shinken, 24 of Decade, 21 of Shinken, and 25 of Decade.

The setup for Decade is Tsukasa is an egotistical Rider who ends up traveling dimensions with some others, having no memories from shortly before the show starts outside of his name. Tsukasa however is somehow always armed with the knowledge and skills he'll need for the place they're visiting.

Tsukasa's goals are to find which World is his home, and to stop the destruction of his friend's Natsumi's home World that they left behind with their first accidental jump. He ends up helping a lot in the dimensions he visits, but there is also rumors encouraged by a mysterious man that Tsukasa is destined to kill the other Riders and destroy the other Worlds.

Decade is a show with a lot of good ideas and a central cast I really enjoyed, but at the end of the day has issues with plotholes and dropping threads. Until the final four episodes things are mostly enjoyable, even if some of the arcs were weak. Most issues, besides some OOCness with some of the cameos, could be waved off as plot threads they had time to return to.

However with those final four the plot holes become giant and you have some general convulsion with the story. You have retconning start to go on, and messy situations like the solo Decade movie. It has to be canon because of vital development and facts we learn from it that are only present there, and more particularly has to fit in right around 29 and 28 because of story events, but the final four episodes act like the movie never happened.

The finale, which is the Decade part of Movie War 2010 also isn't that great. The W half is amazing but you can tell they rewrote a lot of the Decade part and also what they ended up with wasn't the best material. I skip that part most times I watch that movie.

I did mostly enjoy the fights in Decade, and really liked his abilities and how much grew used them. The suit design for him and DiEnd are some of the worst of any Rider but it's only so much an issue with how much Tsukasa changes forms. They did have an problem of forgetting one of the main cast was a Rider too and not just a civilian, but I mostly just roll my eyes at it now. At the end of the day I'm happy I watched it despite a friend's advice not to, but I wouldn't recommend it to others.

And as a final note if you still do decide to watch, and have even remote plans to watch any series before it, watch them first. Unlike Gokai which was good about not spoiling much, and not drawing attention when it did, Decade mostly goes to the Kingdom Hearts 2 school of visiting so will spoil you for late story stuff for a number of past series. Kuuga, Faiz, and Kiva especially spring to mind.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh I watched the crossover for both series already, forgot to clarify. Guess i'll watch other series before being disappointed with Decade.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

Something got into me tonight and now I'm 1/3 through translating the first episode of JAKQ Dengekitai. Just thought you might like to know. I promise I'll finish more of it than GUIS did.

I don't believe you. I've been lied to so many times before when it comes to this show.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You can practically hear the writers in Decade going 'poo poo, WHAT DO WE DO NOW' at about the halfway point when they run out of Rider Worlds to visit. The staff is entertaining on their own, which is good because for the most part the show barely holds up at times.

Also, Decade and Decade Complete are some of the worst suit designs outside of Blade's base form. Luckily, they also hearld they end of the giant restrictive shoulder armor era.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I've heard that the Decade's producer just really enjoys trolling his viewers from Lynxara off of LowVisibility.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Is LowVisibility any good? I listened to one episode (about Gokaiger) and couldn't stand it, but I might have just caught them in a bad moment. I'd really like to listen to a decent sentai podcast, though.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Monathin posted:

You can practically hear the writers in Decade going 'poo poo, WHAT DO WE DO NOW' at about the halfway point when they run out of Rider Worlds to visit. The staff is entertaining on their own, which is good because for the most part the show barely holds up at times.

The "original world" episodes were some of the worst the series had to offer, too. They could have done something cool with the Showa Riders, but we only got Black/RX and Amazon for some reason.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

toomanyninjas posted:

Is LowVisibility any good? I listened to one episode (about Gokaiger) and couldn't stand it, but I might have just caught them in a bad moment. I'd really like to listen to a decent sentai podcast, though.

Well, I am not really a fan of Matt Comix or however he spells his name but Lynxara does know a lot more than most other English speaking toku fans and ever other podcast is far worse. I think they're okay but when they make a certain mistake it really grates on your nerves. I wonder why you didn't like their Gokaiger review, was it not praise-worthy enough?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

toomanyninjas posted:

Don't watch their episode about the second half of Gobusters if you're a fan of Kibaranger, it'll piss you off.

That episode also had one other annoying thing in it, but that's probably just personal taste.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It did seem overly negative at times but brought a different perspective on the show and gave some background info I didn't know. Did not agree about the story being non existent though.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Cliff Racer posted:

Well, I am not really a fan of Matt Comix or however he spells his name but Lynxara does know a lot more than most other English speaking toku fans and ever other podcast is far worse. I think they're okay but when they make a certain mistake it really grates on your nerves. I wonder why you didn't like their Gokaiger review, was it not praise-worthy enough?

I like Gokaiger, but it's not perfect so I wouldn't care either way; that it was the subject of this particular installment is incidental. They just sounded so pretentious—especially the woman, whose name I can't remember—like they were trying to elevate the discussion of a children's toy program to something far above its station. If they're not all like that I'll give it a try, but I don't want to get too talmudically ponderous about my spandex superhero shows.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Again, best not watch the later Gobusters episodes. They talk about stuff outside the show more than they do what's actually in it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Did they ever improve the audio quality? I tried listening to the first couple episodes when they came out and they were unlistenable.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

If you want toku podcasts, it's either LowVisibility, Henshin Justice or the occasional SU&WT Roundtable as far as i know. There's probably more. They probably suck.

HJU radio has the complete opposite problem where large chunks of the cast just sound ENTIRELY uninformed and childish. Lynxara and Matt really seem to put the effort in, and they take it seriously. I like that, I understand if you don't, but they're still probably one of the better toku podcasts out there.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's also these guys, who do the research, but come off more as guys just watching the show.

And yeah, they're responsible for that Power Rider prank.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Rei_ posted:

If you want toku podcasts, it's either LowVisibility, Henshin Justice or the occasional SU&WT Roundtable as far as i know. There's probably more. They probably suck.

HJU radio has the complete opposite problem where large chunks of the cast just sound ENTIRELY uninformed and childish. Lynxara and Matt really seem to put the effort in, and they take it seriously. I like that, I understand if you don't, but they're still probably one of the better toku podcasts out there.

Yeah, I tried a couple of HJU's and it was great when they were talking about the show, but yeah, I completely agree with your observation. I also agree with what you say about Low Visibility's thoroughness; I guess it's more of an attitude thing I don't like. Oh well, I'LL JUST START MY OWN SENTAI PODCAST! That'll show 'em (how lame I am!).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

Did they ever improve the audio quality? I tried listening to the first couple episodes when they came out and they were unlistenable.

Yeah, they got a real mic and stopped doing the audio via skype recordings a while ago.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Justin_Brett posted:

There's also these guys, who do the research, but come off more as guys just watching the show.

Ugh, that one hyper guy just ruins it for me. Which is a shame since otherwise they seem to be okay and reasonably knowledgeable.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
edit: Double post

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I like these guys, their enthusiasm is enduring.

They spend 30 minutes hyping up Gokaiger for Linkara in the first episode.

"So have we convinced you to at least try out sentai? One episode of Gokaiger?"

"No. I have no interest in the Sentai."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why are people so interested in getting this guy to watch Sentai? I don't really get it. He sounds pretty dumb if he enjoys Power Rangers and doesn't want to even give one episode a try.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't give a poo poo if he watches them on his own time or not, that's his business and people are free to watch (or not watch) whatever entertainment they want.

I do however think it would greatly benefit his History of Power Rangers series if he at least demonstrated some basic knowledge of it though. There are occasionally things in Power Rangers that, viewed in a vacuum, don't make a lot of sense or make you wonder why the poo poo they did things that way but that make sense if viewed in the larger context of the repurposed footage and how the production had to work around things or adapt them to the purpose of the characters and story being told. Having that knowledge would allow him to provide greater insight and understanding in his videos.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 14, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Linkara is a loving idiot and the fact that he loves Power Rangers enough to do 90 minute videos on it but has absolutely no interest in its source material shows that.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Especially in terms of like, production problems. LIke I can only imagine the stories that come out of adapting Carranger into Power Rangers Turbo.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Especially in terms of like, production problems. LIke I can only imagine the stories that come out of adapting Carranger into Power Rangers Turbo.

Or the producers throwing up their hands when it came time to adopting Kakuranger.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm wondering since Saban loves his two females minimum policy, would he change Hurricane Yellow to female?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tae posted:

I'm wondering since Saban loves his two females minimum policy, would he change Hurricane Yellow to female?

Power Rangers: Hurricane Rangers

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There's never been a female Red Ranger, has there?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Autumncomet posted:

Delta Force A from SPD and Lauren from Samurai.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tae posted:

Delta Force A from SPD and Lauren from Samurai.

And the SPD one was America-only, as far as I can recall, which means that Power Rangers had a female Red before even Sentai!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Waffleman_ posted:

Power Rangers: Hurricane Rangers

Power Rangers Ninja Storm. See also Power Rangers Dino Thunder, Power Rangers Jungle Fury and Power Rangers RPM.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Power Rangers has managed to beat Sentai to the punch on two major things, as far as I can recall. A team up with Kamen Rider (kinda) and a female Red.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fezz posted:

Power Rangers Ninja Storm. See also Power Rangers Dino Thunder, Power Rangers Jungle Fury and Power Rangers RPM.

I was trying to make an Akibaranger joke. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Autumncomet posted:

Not all the way through a whole season, no.

• Locked thread