Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is that supposed to be the Grandchildren of the original cast? That looks insane, their hair makes them all look so different. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And one of them is just plain Alata. Get outta here, Alata. Go back to your mediocre show.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And one of them is just plain Alata. Get outta here, Alata. Go back to your mediocre show.

Forget that. Utchy has a grandchild. That's amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ian also seems to have turned into Sengoku.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait a second, I remember when Kyoryuger images were being posted...

Dr Tran posted:

There was also this floating around

http://i.imgur.com/fdXxaL4.jpg
I'm guessing Torin has to use Deathryuger after Daigo's dad takes Kyoryu Silver

Larryb posted:

Also if you look closely you may notice that Cyan's costume has a skirt in that picture. Perhaps Yuko takes over for Ramirez at some point?

Judging from that 100 Years After promo...that image must actually be from that since Amy's actress is Cyan in that (which explains the skirt), and Daigo's actor has Deathryuger's power.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home
This sounds absolutely amazing. I'm all for more sentai movies to go all out and have as much fun as possible. Go-Busters vs Go-Busters has easily been my favorite and I hope this continues that trend.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Duet posted:

This sounds absolutely amazing. I'm all for more sentai movies to go all out and have as much fun as possible. Go-Busters vs Go-Busters has easily been my favorite and I hope this continues that trend.

My housemate, who watched a bit of Power Rangers as a kid but never any Sentai, sat down and watched Go-Busters Returns with me and we were laughing uproariously the entire time. The Commander finally busting out the Puma powers was the best.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The villains of Tokkyuger have been spotted! http://i.imgur.com/Ulp80bn.jpg Pretty much the only way they could have mobsters for the regular mooks. The classiest villains!

I am now completely on board for Tokkyuger. Choo choo!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This will somehow be greater than Kyoryuger, and I can't wait

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Can Of Worms posted:

The villains of Tokkyuger have been spotted! http://i.imgur.com/Ulp80bn.jpg Pretty much the only way they could have mobsters for the regular mooks. The classiest villains!

Whoa. I was on board before, but now I'm actively excited for TQG. Those villain costumes look amazing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Can Of Worms posted:

Three of those names definitely mean "black" (General Schwartz, Count Nero, Madame Noir). I'm not sure how Gritta ties into it, if at all.

Black versus rainbow. Straightforward and clean.

e: I'm not 100% on Nero actually, but I just noticed their org is the Shadow Line so I'm pretty sure it works out.

e: Nero is Italian, I now understand.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 25, 2014

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Flameingblack posted:

Is that supposed to be the Grandchildren of the original cast? That looks insane, their hair makes them all look so different. :stare:

If done right, this will surely cement Kyoryuger as the Greatest Sentai Ever.

Edit: I'm right now watching the Gaki No Tsukai No Laughing Airport batsu game and about had a fit when I realized Daigo's dad is a villain in one of the skits!

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 25, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hopefully the lady villain has another costume, 'cause no way anyone's doing stunts in that thing.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Caphi posted:

Three of those names definitely mean "black" (General Schwartz, Count Nero, Madame Noir). I'm not sure how Gritta ties into it, if at all.
Well, looking up the name brings up that it's a shortened version of Margaret, which means "child of light".

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This weeks Dino Sentai proves we can't predict for poo poo.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spoilers for next week's episode of Samba Dinosaurs:

I'm really, really excited!

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Potsticker posted:

Spoilers for next week's episode of Samba Dinosaurs:

I'm really, really excited!

Oh snap! I thought this was all a red herring after the V-Cinema announcement.

edit: I hope the lack of 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 in the V-Cinema promo image means those guys will be back as spirit rangers.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Hey, have a train song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avw7D6aHi5U

and another! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrZa6H32ESA

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Oh man that OP is catchy as hell. I don't think it's going to be possible to not be happy listening to this. :allears:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Shaezerus posted:

Oh man that OP is catchy as hell. I don't think it's going to be possible to not be happy listening to this. :allears:

These are really loving good.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Tokusatsu Network has a good rundown of the latest bit of info. And if you haven't started following this blog yet, it's probably the best toku blog out there right now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HKR posted:

Tokusatsu Network has a good rundown of the latest bit of info. And if you haven't started following this blog yet, it's probably the best toku blog out there right now.

quote:

These are the announcements that can be heard when the ToQgers transform or call their trains.

“We are about to transform, please remain on the inner side of the white line.” (pink)

“We are about to shoot. Please be careful.” (red)

“We are about to un-transform. Those in a hurry please change trains.” (blue)

“A train is coming. Please remain on the inner side of the white line.” (purple)

“Thank you very much for your continued use. ToQ-Oh is about to be completed”

“I can see your last stop.” (Said to the enemy)

Yessssssssssssss.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HKR posted:

quote:

These are the announcements that can be heard when the ToQgers transform or call their trains.

“We are about to transform, please remain on the inner side of the white line.” (pink)

“We are about to shoot. Please be careful.” (red)

“We are about to un-transform. Those in a hurry please change trains.” (blue)

“A train is coming. Please remain on the inner side of the white line.” (purple)

“Thank you very much for your continued use. ToQ-Oh is about to be completed”

“I can see your last stop.” (Said to the enemy)

quote:

Combined weapon: Renketsu (connection) Bazooka
By charging the Energy Ressha by imagining the weak spots and disliked things of enemies, it fires a final attack.
The final attack is whatever was imagined.

I am so ready for this show.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Well this is shaping up to be a pretty good follow-up to Dancing Dinosaurs so far.

Hopefully it doesn't drop the ball halfway through and just stays the course it seems to be headed on.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Man when people were throwing around things like "Stand clear of the transforming heroes, please" I didn't think that would actually be in the show. I'm hype.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So I just finished Kamen Rider Wizard. I sort of dropped the show at 30 originally and spent the last week finishing the series. This is gonna be a long post, since I sort of want to get my thoughts out while they're fresh.

The last 20 episodes were actually, like, pretty good, I thought! I mean, the show had some high points during the first two thirds (Phoenix getting drop kicked into the sun, Nitou's grandma, etc.) but otherwise I actually really enjoyed what I saw. For the most part, my problems come from the shows pacing, which I think I can attribute to Tsuyoshi Kida not really having a place in the post-Decade Rider universe. The series is a hell of a lot more hellbent on selling toys than it used to be, which means a lot of the story relied on showcasing new items and powerups, and while Kida has demonstrated himself to be a good writer with Hibiki (first half), it seems to really gently caress him up here. Post-Decade Rider is a lot more focused on the Producer (ironically, some think this may have been BECAUSE of Hibiki) and I don't know if Kida had the sort of clout with Toei/Bandai to get the show to move at the pace he needed it to.

On top of this, Koyomi's actress was an idol singer and that didn't jive too well with Rider's often harrowing production schedule. Considering much of (the entire) plot hinged on her it seemed to really slow the story down.

Junko Komura wrote almost ALL of the episodes I liked. I think his sensibilities and style jived a lot better with what was going on in the the show. He wrote a lot of really loving cool characters. The episode with Haruto's teacher? It's one of the last ones. That character was loving AWESOME. I wish all of the Gates had been like him. Daisuke Ishibashi wrote a few episodes, including the Arsonist arc and honestly I hope he finds something else to do with his life because that was honestly the low point of the entire show.

The Phantoms were all over the place, I really didn't care for most of them. When they got kind of high-concept and had a plan beyond 'slowly approach the Gate and make scary faces', it was actually really interesting. I still don't quite get the concept of despair being anathema to hope. I don't think someone having one bad day should turn them into a monster. Although, it doesn't seem to, because it didn't loving happen to anybody. So. A little too often someones entire life seemed to hinge on a trinket, which even got called out as stupid by a character (again, Junko Komura saving the show)

Haruto's a weird Rider and while I like aspects of him I couldn't tell you why. Haruto seems to be cool and calm except when he...isn't? He seems to be a really contradictory character and maybe a pedophile? I'm not sure what's going on there with Koyomi. Honestly I wound up loving Nitou as a character. Beast got almost all of my favourite moments of the show, and almost straight from his introduction onward he was just a consistent highpoint with a really clear arc to his character and he just seemed really loving interesting. He also managed to do more riding a bicycle in one episode than Haruto did riding a motorcycle throughout the whole show.

The suits were really cool, except for the Dragon Styles. I'm not sure why they went for a glossy finish on those, they looked like raincoats. Beast Hyper seemed to be Meteor Storm 2 in terms of its design and I thought we learned that lesson. At least Nitou looked like he could wear it and not give a poo poo, though. Infinity was a GORGEOUS design, I'm definitely looking into a Figuarts for that.

I dunno, lot to think about with this show. Definitely glad that Gaim is NOT Wizard so far.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nitou was definitely way better than Haruto. He even defeats the leader of the badguys and saves the city in the end!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I know people get down on Haruto alot but 'maybe a pedophile' is certainly a take I haven't seen yet.

Like, even ignoring any love between him and Koyomi coming off way closer to sibling love than anything romantic it's not like she was a 10 year old or anything.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

They always dress Koyomi up like an actual doll with little frilly shirts and poo poo, and it has the side effect of making her look incredibly young. Also they keep addressing her in terms of innocence and fragility which are typically childlike concepts? I get that the actress for Koyomi is supposed to be 18 at the time of the show but there's no way in hell her character reads that way.

Like, maybe pedophile is too strong a word but something about the way Haruto kind of approaches her sketches me out. Like, literally at one point he's more or less certain that he's going to be killing three other people to bring her back, and it's only when Fueki goes 'nah, it's all of Tokyo' he has second thoughts about it. Also having her restore her life force by touching his waist was kinda...you know? Their relationship doesn't read as familial, especially not when he's taking her out on dates and stuff. Combine that with her absence for chunks of the show means that Haruto doesn't really come across as having any real developed relationship with her (or basically anyone) but he just seems creepy and obsessed with keeping her alive.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 26, 2014

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

You are reading way too much into this interpretation. Her dressing up like a doll just seems like standard japanese lolita fashion which doesn't really have as strong of connotations over there as the kind of thing you're bringing up, afaik. The stuff about innocence and frailness is slightly iffy, but she's never treated as a romantic or sexual object and it's not like addressing her as those two things are inaccurate given her entire subplot hinges on those aspects of her.

And even though I don't have a solid grip on Haruto's characterization, I'm pretty sure the intention was for you to feel like his obsession with saving people(including Koyomi) was off. He's given up on who he used to be and has zero long-term plans, his only point in life is being the Last Hope for people, to the point that he was willing to make bargains with the monster inside of him and nearly went along with Fueki's plan until he learned the stakes were way higher than he thought. Haruto's relationship with Koyomi could easily be read as unhealthy, yeah but that's more because of Haruto's codependency than him wanting to bone her(Koyomi's codependency gets a pass since she literally needed him to stay alive :v:).

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Rei_ posted:

They always dress Koyomi up like an actual doll with little frilly shirts and poo poo, and it has the side effect of making her look incredibly young. Also they keep addressing her in terms of innocence and fragility which are typically childlike concepts? I get that the actress for Koyomi is supposed to be 18 at the time of the show but there's no way in hell her character reads that way.

Like, maybe pedophile is too strong a word but something about the way Haruto kind of approaches her sketches me out. Like, literally at one point he's more or less certain that he's going to be killing three other people to bring her back, and it's only when Fueki goes 'nah, it's all of Tokyo' he has second thoughts about it. Also having her restore her life force by touching his waist was kinda...you know? Their relationship doesn't read as familial, especially not when he's taking her out on dates and stuff. Combine that with her absence for chunks of the show means that Haruto doesn't really come across as having any real developed relationship with her (or basically anyone) but he just seems creepy and obsessed with keeping her alive.

You are so stupid.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Rei_ posted:

You're projecting quite a bit. The actress is an idol and she wears clothes that make her look good. She's 20 in real life and during shooting was probably 17-18. Her character's supposed to be a doll so it shouldn't be surprised she's dressed like a doll

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 26, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So does Kamen Rider Black ever get good? It just seems like a blander version of the original thus far.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Flameingblack posted:

You're projecting quite a bit. The actress is an idol and she wears clothes that make her look good. She's 20 in real life and during shooting was probably 17-18. Her character's supposed to be a doll so it shouldn't be surprised she's dressed like a doll

Plus, if I'm recalling correctly, in Fueki's flashbacks it looked like she had a thing for frills when she was alive too. One of those subconscious things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

So does Kamen Rider Black ever get good? It just seems like a blander version of the original thus far.

?? Original? The first Rider series?

How far are you in?

The plot doesn't start to kick back in til 17 or so.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing I hated most about Haruto was that he was just a blatantly cool to the point of being extremely boring. Not the show, which was boring and lovely on its own, but him in particular. Oh he has the most generically cool haircut imaginable and he used to be a soccer protege and was always so calm and collected and blahdyblahblah. I mean all modern Kamen Riders are sort of like that but Haruto just took it to the next level where there really wasn't anything unique or interesting about him. You could hardly even call him a real character and it was his loving show. And it was an "undeserved" cool too, he didn't really do anything to earn it in the way that, say, Eiji or Shotaro did. It was just, "look at this guy isn't he great," right from the first episode!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cliff Racer posted:

The thing I hated most about Haruto was that he was just a blatantly cool to the point of being extremely boring. Not the show, which was boring and lovely on its own, but him in particular. Oh he has the most generically cool haircut imaginable and he used to be a soccer protege and was always so calm and collected and blahdyblahblah. I mean all modern Kamen Riders are sort of like that but Haruto just took it to the next level where there really wasn't anything unique or interesting about him. You could hardly even call him a real character and it was his loving show. And it was an "undeserved" cool too, he didn't really do anything to earn it in the way that, say, Eiji or Shotaro did. It was just, "look at this guy isn't he great," right from the first episode!

And even then it wasn't taken to the extreme where it wraps back around to being interesting like it does for Tendou or V3.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And even then it wasn't taken to the extreme where it wraps back around to being interesting like it does for Tendou or V3.

Tendou was terrible. May be my least favorite main rider. I'd rather Haruto than him, even.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Honestly this is likely more just flawed execution than intentionally trying to make him cooler than other Riders. There are inklings of flaws to Haruto's character but he never really suffers any consequences for them so they kinda just get buried under so many upgrade-of-the-week episodes which are tensionless because you know he's going to win with the new toy. He comes off as blatantly cool and always calm because he never deals with any setbacks; bargaining with Dragon never bites him in the rear end even though it was really telegraphed, no new Phantoms were created from the people he protected, Wiseman's plan didn't involve stopping Haruto any step of the way so the ominous big bad just lets him continue to beat up Phantoms until it's time for the finale. He does lose Koyomi in the end but even that's hard to consider a setback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

Tendou was terrible. May be my least favorite main rider. I'd rather Haruto than him, even.

That's a dumb opinion. Dude was just 2 steps ahead of the game Mostly because he had himself from another future zipping around guaranteeing he'd know what was happening and what to do to save the day and he spends 90% the show just dicking around with everyone.

:allears: Remember the time he impersonated the priest for the wedding? or the loving Amazing Iron Chef episodes? Dude's a huge enjoyable jerk and you'd have to be crazy to prefer a bland, lifeless character like Haruto over him. He's at least fun to watch.

• Locked thread