Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
there's also the added irony that the first thing a libertarian does upon coming across something unexpected is call for help from a taxpayer-funded service (i.e. the police)

of course, see, it's Moral and Right when they do it, because they were coerced into paying taxes and therefore they deserve the benefits of them. it's just everyone else who is a lazy bum leeching off the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

"I don't think he's in any trouble," I say. "I would like to ask him about Bitcoin. This man is Satoshi Nakamoto."

"What?" The police officer balks. "This is the guy who created Bitcoin? It looks like he's living a pretty humble life."

i categorically refuse believe that this happened

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i stopped reading because im in work but did they mention his posts on bitcointalk where he eventually throws his arms up in the air and says gently caress it and walks off never to be heard from again
they pinpoint the exact moment

quote:

Communication with Bitcoin's founder was becoming less frequent by early 2011. Nakamoto stopped posting changes to the Bitcoin code and ignored conversations on the Bitcoin forum.

Andresen was unprepared, however, for Satoshi Nakamoto's reaction to an email exchange between them on April 26, 2011.

"I wish you wouldn't keep talking about me as a mysterious shadowy figure," Nakamoto wrote to Andresen. "The press just turns that into a pirate currency angle. Maybe instead make it about the open source project and give more credit to your dev contributors; it helps motivate them."

Andresen responded: "Yeah, I'm not happy with the 'wacky pirate money' tone, either."

Then he told Nakamoto he'd accepted an invitation to speak at the Central Intelligence Agency headquarters. "I hope that by talking directly to them and, more importantly, listening to their questions/concerns, they will think of Bitcoin the way I do - as a just-plain-better, more efficient, less-subject-to-political-whims money," he said. "Not as an all-powerful black-market tool that will be used by anarchists to overthrow the System."

From that moment, Satoshi Nakamoto stopped responding to emails and dropped off the map.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

holy gently caress it is really happening

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
UP UP UP! in flames
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zoz3q/butterfly_labs_miner_caught_on_fire/

quote:

ButterFly Labs Miner Caught on Fire... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 6 hours ago by Index_Dot_Zach
Hey guys,
So, as the title implies... I was one of the suckers who bought into the whole ButterFly labs gimmick a year ago. I ordered the 10Gh/sec miner and had to wait nearly 9 months to get it. It finally came back in January this year and I don't even think it's worth running to be honest.
But regardless, I kept it running most of the time because it wasn't using too much power.
I was just sitting at my computer playing a game, the miner sits on my desk next to my monitor. All of a sudden the miner shuts off, fans and all, and was silent. A few seconds later it starts sparking on the inside and I saw flames through the air vents. So I quickly unplugged it and run with it into my kitchen to place it on the granite counter-top.
This isn't supposed to be a sob story or anything, but as a young guy I just wanted to know what my options are for this situation. As in, how should I go about dealing with this with Butterfly Labs? I know it's nearly impossible to get a hold of them, but at the end of the day they sold me a faulty product that could have potentially been a hazard. I mean, what if I wasn't home when this happened?
Does anything think there is any legal action that I can take on my behalf against ButterFly labs?
Thanks!
No chargebacks, no refunds. Caveat emptor bitch :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

there's a hilarious number of staunch libertarians who work for government contractors. a guy i went to high school with is a self-described objectivist and works for loving northropp

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

The Kins posted:

they pinpoint the exact moment

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

zokie posted:

So Satoshi Nakamoto is a Japanese immigrant to the USA that got pissed over how hard it was to buy model trains from England. So he made BitCoin

http://mag.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/bitcoin-satoshi-nakamoto.html

quoting to acknowledge u as the one to break the story in yospos. goongrats.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Poor Satoshi. Wonder how many Silk Roaders are gonna show up outside his house offering to smoke him out

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

satoshi stole the goxcoins

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it is the legend

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the awesome thing is there is absolutely no way a paranoid libertarian didn't just delete every loving thing he had relating to bitcoin the moment someone mentioned the cia. satoshi's wallet, lost forever.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
countdown till people come up with the great idea of having him cover the missing gox coins

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr. Nice! posted:

the awesome thing is there is absolutely no way a paranoid libertarian didn't just delete every loving thing he had relating to bitcoin the moment someone mentioned the cia. satoshi's wallet, lost forever.

:pray:

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

the irony about reddit getting whipped up is that no one gives a gently caress

theyre the ones who turned him into this mythical god figure who they all adore

to everyone else its either mildly interesting at most

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Remember, there's no proof in the Newsweek article. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by 7trXMk6Z

The "proof" is the guy has the same name and vaguely relevant credentials. That's it. There's no other evidence.

is4k 5 points 58 minutes ago (7|2)

Tis typical for the modern press... Even when they are DEAD wrong they do not publish a correction..

The Newsweek article is wrong about Satoshi. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 48 minutes ago by FT_clox_metoo

It doesnt make any sense at all.

They tell you in detail that Satoshi did everything he could to protect his anonymity and then they proceed to tell you that Satoshi Nakamoto actually is his real name. How dumb are those newsweek people? Utter BS. Gavin describes how Satoshi encrypted all his messages and emails and that he never revealed any information about himself and his background. Satoshi was scared that it could be illegal to create a decentralized currency.

So why should he work so hard to protect his identity when he supposedly uses his actual name - or at least "Dorian S. Nakamoto" - all along.

Does nobody see this obvious flaw (among others)?

I can't believe the man that wrote this is Satoshi. (imgur.com)

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

and his brother says he made it but wont talk about it

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

no but don't you see in order to ensure the purity of his movement he clearly has been sitting on his coins despite the fact that he could get a few million for them regardless of how over-blown the 'value' of btc is

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Werthog 95 posted:

I can't believe the man that wrote this is Satoshi. (imgur.com)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

i can not believe what he wrote it!

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

lmao

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Boxturret posted:

countdown till people come up with the great idea of having him cover the missing gox coins

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I'm butticus

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

there's a hilarious number of staunch libertarians who work for government contractors. a guy i went to high school with is a self-described objectivist and works for loving northropp
like i said, its pretty a 100% match between asserting that youre a self-made titan who stands alone and worked for everything you have and living off of someone elses generosity (family or government)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

so its newsweek....but with bitcoin

Goddamn fiat Newsweek. Everyone knows bitnews is the best news except it has a hard limit of 5 articles a week (this can totally scale though promise)

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Dex posted:

don't have a newsweek subscription and work network has already read the whopping five free articles per month before you hit a paywall, is it actually worth reading later or is it the same as the other "well, this guy loves banks AND computers, and is a dork, so" articles that were around a while back

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...i-nakamoto.html
aaaaaaaaah why am i still surprised when i try poo poo like this and it just works

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jonesy posted:

the best part of him being 64 is all the "old ppl dont get bitcoin their way of thinking is dying out" coiners said when dad wouldnt give them a loan

Satoshi 64 was the best game but you gotta keep blowing on the cartridge

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i stopped reading because im in work but did they mention his posts on bitcointalk where he eventually throws his arms up in the air and says gently caress it and walks off never to be heard from again

yeah tl;dr

quote:

Then he told Nakamoto he'd accepted an invitation to speak at the Central Intelligence Agency headquarters. "I hope that by talking directly to them and, more importantly, listening to their questions/concerns, they will think of Bitcoin the way I do - as a just-plain-better, more efficient, less-subject-to-political-whims money," he said. "Not as an all-powerful black-market tool that will be used by anarchists to overthrow the System."

From that moment, Satoshi Nakamoto stopped responding to emails and dropped off the map.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

...! posted:

After hearing this, I looked at him and said "Well sir, you just lost my Business!" and walked out refusing to eat there.
i'm the autistic capitalisation of our holy lord and saviour business

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wh..what if they douse him with chemtrails :ohdear:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
good news reddit: bitcoin jesus is back

bad news reddit: he left because he was disgusted by you idiots and wants to be left alone

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Where's the money Satoshi?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Necc0 posted:

good news reddit: bitcoin jesus is back

bad news reddit: he left because he was disgusted by you idiots and wants to be left alone

there an't be a THIRD bitcoin jesus :mad:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Boxturret posted:

there an't be a THIRD bitcoin jesus :mad:

depends on how malleable they are

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I AM SPARTOSHI

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the numbersign used in the redddit tile but not the tweeter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I AM SPARTOSHI