Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I shouldn't get my hopes up for White to be Last Ninja, but I will anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm starting to really feel like I shouldn't get invested in Ninninger. It's three episodes in, and it's already starting to fumble in a lot of ways.

Maybe they'll get their act together before too long, but when your Red ranger is this blatantly unlikeable and poor at acting compared to his co-stars... It's really undermining any confidence I might have in the series.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It's been a long rear end time, but more Gransazer is now up.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm starting to really feel like I shouldn't get invested in Ninninger. It's three episodes in, and it's already starting to fumble in a lot of ways.

Maybe they'll get their act together before too long, but when your Red ranger is this blatantly unlikeable and poor at acting compared to his co-stars... It's really undermining any confidence I might have in the series.

I'm in it for the monster designs, more than anything, at this point. So good.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Shaezerus posted:

I'm in it for the monster designs, more than anything, at this point. So good.

Chainsaw Kamatachi was amazing I will back that until the day I die.

And Gabi is fantastic too.

Also can we just agree as a thread that Ninja Dad's Sweater-Vest Game is top notch?

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 18, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Type Formula reminds me of Turbo Man from Mega Man VII, and I consider that a good thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's been a long rear end time, but more Gransazer is now up.

So goddamn happy.

Gransazer is one of my favorite toku ever just for how cool it is. The ending is kind of a let down, but man, the first half is amazing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Kasumi seems to be really competent, and other characters keep commenting on it. Which is as much as you can expect really from Sentai.

At least she'll get a few episodes that focus on her like the next one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

At least she'll get a few episodes that focus on her like the next one.

As long as they stay away from doing something like Mio and Kagura's one time using the Hyper Ressha is together and in a gag-like fashion I'll be docile.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I like that Sentai and Rider this season have characters that have some kind of competent background, instead of getting powers dumped on them and instantly (more or less) kicking rear end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm going to take a moment to talk about one of the most morally complicated and interesting tokusatsu to ever almost make the finish line.

Iron King. I'm going to talk about this without spoiler tags because, really, this thing has been out for Americans for years now, and has been around since the 70s.

Iron King has a very interesting set up in that it is a very silly, VERY 70s Toku, that's straight up a rip off of Anime, Ultraman and Kamen Rider of the era, yet has a very somber, dark tone that runs under most of it.

From the first episode which is generally light and fun, we have the more somber moment of the lead hero, more on him in a bit, singing about why you shouldn't love some one with the first lead lady, which has dual tragic consequences when she's revealed to be a spy a couple of episodes in, and then dies to save the heroes.

I will note to the show's credit, this wasn't the original intention- they wanted her to be in the main cast til the end, and even get her own giant robot to help fight the bad guys by episode 9, but the actress for whatever reason wasn't enjoying the filming and decided to leave. What could have been.

Regardless, they do a fairly decent job of making her death matter and resonate with the main hero, who takes up her guitar and is rarely seen without it after, and becomes a much more morally gray character with her passing.

The other revealing moment in the first episode, a quiet scene of the two lead heroes talking about the villains plan, reveals the main hero Genetaro, is perfectly fine with letting them strike Tokyo and the casualties that would follow, so long as that would let them attack the villain's HQ.

This leads into the main point- Genetaro is very much the protagonist of the series. However, he is not the titular Iron King. The Henshining super hero who can only fight for a minute before dehydrating, is actually his bumbling sidekick in disguise- and early on almost never wins a fight on his own. Instead, Genetaro is the one to take down the giant robots.

After the first villain crew, a bunch of disposed of Japanese nationalists who want to return to the ways of old with superior force, are slaughtered by Genetaro and Iron King, they have to contend with out and out terrorists with giant monster robots. This is the darkest point in the series, where episodes are rarely happy or fun anymore, with families torn apart, or even one notable case where Genetaro uses civilians as bait for the villains, knowing full well they could die in the process. The series gets much heavier here, even with the more outlandish giant foes, as themes of death and inevitability build up.

The path Genetaro was treading was irrevocably leading to his own demise, as he slowly but surely became more and more of an anti hero in his quest to kill the, very human, villains. He would often butt heads with Iron King in this part of the series, Iron King the more traditional person who often found it difficult to forgive the shocking things Genetaro would end up doing, or be horrified at some of the very bleak outcomes of the battles they fought.

And then the final third of the series had them become super buddy buddy, get paired up with an ultra tight assed by the book lady, and fight giant insect aliens who dressed up in Guy Fawks masks and laughed a whole bunch.

To say there was a tone shift would be a small tiny understatement. The main heroes go completely off the rails compared to how they were before, to the point of literally thinking and saying the opposite of what they held true to for the first two thirds of the show, and everything just gets super light and silly. The only time the show starts to reclaim its original somber tone is in the finale, but it's more of a dim echo.

The final third isn't BAD, but it feels like an entirely different series, with totally different characters-symbolized best, I think, by the fact that Iron King stops being the side kick and starts being the actual hero, killing the MOTW on his own, with Genetaro just being his supporter.

It's a fascinating show that's never dull, but it's a weird one. It's also super short- only 20 something episodes total, with three distinct villain groups. The first two thirds of the show flow well into one another, with things getting steadily more serious and morally ambiguous, and then the final third happens and what the hell

The follow up series, Super Robot Red Baron, may or may not have been as good, but it certainly was more consistent.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

So I'm going to take a moment to talk about one of the most morally complicated and interesting tokusatsu to ever almost make the finish line.

Iron King. I'm going to talk about this without spoiler tags because, really, this thing has been out for Americans for years now, and has been around since the 70s.

Iron King has a very interesting set up in that it is a very silly, VERY 70s Toku, that's straight up a rip off of Anime, Ultraman and Kamen Rider of the era, yet has a very somber, dark tone that runs under most of it.

From the first episode which is generally light and fun, we have the more somber moment of the lead hero, more on him in a bit, singing about why you shouldn't love some one with the first lead lady, which has dual tragic consequences when she's revealed to be a spy a couple of episodes in, and then dies to save the heroes.

I will note to the show's credit, this wasn't the original intention- they wanted her to be in the main cast til the end, and even get her own giant robot to help fight the bad guys by episode 9, but the actress for whatever reason wasn't enjoying the filming and decided to leave. What could have been.

Regardless, they do a fairly decent job of making her death matter and resonate with the main hero, who takes up her guitar and is rarely seen without it after, and becomes a much more morally gray character with her passing.

The other revealing moment in the first episode, a quiet scene of the two lead heroes talking about the villains plan, reveals the main hero Genetaro, is perfectly fine with letting them strike Tokyo and the casualties that would follow, so long as that would let them attack the villain's HQ.

This leads into the main point- Genetaro is very much the protagonist of the series. However, he is not the titular Iron King. The Henshining super hero who can only fight for a minute before dehydrating, is actually his bumbling sidekick in disguise- and early on almost never wins a fight on his own. Instead, Genetaro is the one to take down the giant robots.

After the first villain crew, a bunch of disposed of Japanese nationalists who want to return to the ways of old with superior force, are slaughtered by Genetaro and Iron King, they have to contend with out and out terrorists with giant monster robots. This is the darkest point in the series, where episodes are rarely happy or fun anymore, with families torn apart, or even one notable case where Genetaro uses civilians as bait for the villains, knowing full well they could die in the process. The series gets much heavier here, even with the more outlandish giant foes, as themes of death and inevitability build up.

The path Genetaro was treading was irrevocably leading to his own demise, as he slowly but surely became more and more of an anti hero in his quest to kill the, very human, villains. He would often butt heads with Iron King in this part of the series, Iron King the more traditional person who often found it difficult to forgive the shocking things Genetaro would end up doing, or be horrified at some of the very bleak outcomes of the battles they fought.

And then the final third of the series had them become super buddy buddy, get paired up with an ultra tight assed by the book lady, and fight giant insect aliens who dressed up in Guy Fawks masks and laughed a whole bunch.

To say there was a tone shift would be a small tiny understatement. The main heroes go completely off the rails compared to how they were before, to the point of literally thinking and saying the opposite of what they held true to for the first two thirds of the show, and everything just gets super light and silly. The only time the show starts to reclaim its original somber tone is in the finale, but it's more of a dim echo.

The final third isn't BAD, but it feels like an entirely different series, with totally different characters-symbolized best, I think, by the fact that Iron King stops being the side kick and starts being the actual hero, killing the MOTW on his own, with Genetaro just being his supporter.

It's a fascinating show that's never dull, but it's a weird one. It's also super short- only 20 something episodes total, with three distinct villain groups. The first two thirds of the show flow well into one another, with things getting steadily more serious and morally ambiguous, and then the final third happens and what the hell

The follow up series, Super Robot Red Baron, may or may not have been as good, but it certainly was more consistent.

So, firstly, my excellent wife got me this series recently for a birthday present and we finished it a couple days ago. Everything you say is true, however you failed to touch on the best parts, in my opinion:

The robots/monsters which are HILARIOUSLY bad, but the fights are generally excellent. The untransformed lead frequently gets in on the giant monster fights and beats Iron King to the kills, to the point where it becomes almost laughable, and Iron King is little more than a distraction for the infinitely more competent Gentaro. The sets and miniature work is amazing and highly competent, so there's that.

in the final third, there's also a fun little reference in one episode to Kamen Rider, which as a total Rider nerd tickled me to no end.

Also! The actress left the show after a stunt burned her through her clothing, she understandably didn't want to work on it anymore, but it highlights the lack of safety on the sets which is highly disturbing (bonus: Watch some of the monster costumes catch fire!)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Its not Over-Time...but Imagination Station put up subs for ToQ vs Kyoryu!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Salamaz Ultimate Form is possibly the dumbest most amazing thing I've seen in a while. I can't help but be disappointed that Nero was the only Shadow Line member to do a roll call.

I think this confirmed for me that ToQger would have been just as good if they kept the child cast throughout.

Raserys fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 21, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The child cast was 100% adorable in the movie and Nero is basically the goon of the Shadows.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I just finished GARO - The One Who Shines in the Darkness , two years late but still. Is the Flower of Makai worth watching?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Demicol posted:

I just finished GARO - The One Who Shines in the Darkness , two years late but still. Is the Flower of Makai worth watching?

Far more than the series you finished to be sure. Flower of Makai is really good, Raiga is an awesome lead and the entire show is very high quality, it plays with the expectations of the original series while being its own thing.

In fact, I'd say everything Garo except The One Who Shines in the Darkness is worth watching. The currently-running anime is really good too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The child cast was 100% adorable in the movie and Nero is basically the goon of the Shadows.

It's a little weird though that they used up the big combination mech fight on a bunch of giant Crows wearing cardboard trains but then when they got to the final fight they just kind of, shot at him until he died. Seems a little anticlimactic to me.

Also I'm a little curious now if the Shuriken the Niningers used to shrink down the DarkLiner robot is going to be used in the series at some point, it seems like it'd be kind of overpowered and eliminate the need for mech fights entirely.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Shines in the Darkness had lots of flaws but the last chunk of episodes are a loving trip and I thought they were worth the ride

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

So, firstly, my excellent wife got me this series recently for a birthday present and we finished it a couple days ago. Everything you say is true, however you failed to touch on the best parts, in my opinion:

The robots/monsters which are HILARIOUSLY bad, but the fights are generally excellent. The untransformed lead frequently gets in on the giant monster fights and beats Iron King to the kills, to the point where it becomes almost laughable, and Iron King is little more than a distraction for the infinitely more competent Gentaro. The sets and miniature work is amazing and highly competent, so there's that.

in the final third, there's also a fun little reference in one episode to Kamen Rider, which as a total Rider nerd tickled me to no end.

Also! The actress left the show after a stunt burned her through her clothing, she understandably didn't want to work on it anymore, but it highlights the lack of safety on the sets which is highly disturbing (bonus: Watch some of the monster costumes catch fire!)

Yeah, I'm re-watching the series, and honestly, ANY toku fans out there should really give this show a chance. It's a TEENY bit rough to start, but also hilarious for that very same reason, and it's one of the most interesting third party company tokus made, I believe.

Every episode is an adventure, even if it's only 2/3rds of a complete tale.

mynameishong
May 5, 2013
What's a good set of subs for watching Kaiketsu Zubat?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

mynameishong posted:

https://millionfoldcuriosity.wordpress.com/category/releases/zubat/

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

mynameishong posted:

Near as I can tell, there's only one complete set. Nevermind that the unofficial full series batch isn't seeded since all the individual release torrents still amazingly are.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Drive is up. also, next week is the crossover special .

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I can see what you're saying about Ninninger stumbling, but the episodes are really drat fun. Maybe I'm just buying into flash over substance, but I thought the latest one was really good, especially for a character episode, which I normally don't like.

Also very glad to have more Gransazer to watch!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Oh man Drive sure is getting interesting I can't wait to see what happens ne- Oh...a crossover episode. In the middle of a plot line. Greeeeat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welcome to the old new tradition.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Welcome to the old new tradition.

Yup. Blame Decade.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Yup. Blame Decade.

Couldn't we have held off for a few more weeks though? Ninninger has barely even started.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

"Barely even started" seems like an ideal time for a crossover though. Doesn't interrupt an on-going plotline(hi Chase), shows off the new hot show to anyone who might only be watching Drive before you get alot of plot they'd need to catch up on.

I'm totally down with the crossover as long as it's not as utterly forgettable as Gaim/ToQ was

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Brother Entropy posted:

as utterly forgettable as Gaim/ToQ was

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

I'm still disappointed the Inves that ignored the "Please stand behind the white line" transformation warning in that episode didn't get straight up exploded and was only gently smacked around by the tiny trains.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure how accurate this is but according to some recent episode summaries we may be getting a Ninja crossover after all:

"(April 12th) Episode 7: "Emissaries From the Past"
Summary: Tsumuji brings in Ninja Red and Hurricane Red to teach the Ninningers."

Source: http://shurikensentai.tumblr.com/pos...ries-for-april

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 23, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Not sure how accurate this is but according to some recent episode summaries we may be getting a Ninja crossover after all:

"(April 12th) Episode 7: "Emissaries From the Past"
Summary: Tsumuji brings in Ninja Red and Hurricane Red to teach the Ninningers."

Source: http://shurikensentai.tumblr.com/pos...ries-for-april

I'd be happier with that than what the did for the Dino crossover. Don't get me wrong, I loved that movie...but the GoBusters got the shortest possible end of the teamup movie stick.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jivjov posted:

I'd be happier with that than what the did for the Dino crossover. Don't get me wrong, I loved that movie...but the GoBusters got the shortest possible end of the teamup movie stick.

Dammit :negative:
This reminded me that I liked GoBusters so much, you guys. I really, really liked that show, and also Beet J. Stag. Number one best robot who is kind of a dick.

That show was so good that it brought be back around on the issue of a Super Sentai acknowledging the phrases "Megazord" and "It's Morphin Time".

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
http://www.toei.co.jp/release/tv/1205315_963.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwGB-e3slqE

It begins :getin:.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh man Drive sure is getting interesting I can't wait to see what happens ne- Oh...a crossover episode. In the middle of a plot line. Greeeeat.

Anyone else think its seriously leaning towards Gou becoming the new Chase? Especially after his belt getting destroyed.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 23, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, I was always tempted to try to send in a video for Kyoryu dancing...I wonder if they'd ever use an entry that was obviously from outside Japan.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Fooley posted:

http://www.toei.co.jp/release/tv/1205315_963.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwGB-e3slqE

It begins :getin:.

Anyone else think its seriously leaning towards Gou becoming the new Chase? Especially after his belt getting destroyed.

It's going to be a setup for him getting a super form, since he seems pretty pissed that he doesn't get a sweet tiny pit crew.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It seems kind of odd to have the Secondary Rider's super form show up this early. Doesn't that usually happen in the 30s?

But then again it also seems That Chase is coming back as an actual Kamen Rider, so maybe that changed things around.

I really liked the Pit Crew though. They were cool.

EDIT: My major problem with Ninninger is that even more then ToQger or whatever, everything seems to come back to Takaharu, even in episodes not about him. I feel like it wasn't this bad with Right in ToQger, but even in this week's Ninnenger the ultimate lesson seemed to be 'Be more like Takaharu, don't give up on your dreams.'

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It looks like they're setting up Gou as Rider 1 (takeShijima honGou) and Chase as the Rider 2 that fills in for him when he goes off to un-gently caress himself, and then have Gou come back later on

• Locked thread