Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

seems to be going well so far

working hard, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Nevermind, I'll take however many shots I need to to not end up like that

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Lovelyn posted:

Patient is in their 30s, got their first Moderna shot, but ended up covid+ and on a ventilator. Air gets into their chest cavity and both bases of their lungs collapse. The intensivist puts in a chest tube on the first side. They begin to put a chest tube in the second side when the patient decides to cardiac arrest. A second intensivist arrives to run the code as the first intensivist is cutting into the patient's chest to insert that second tube. The incision is huge because someone is doing chest compressions on the patient as the MD is slicing. Pulse comes back, chest tubes sutured as well as possible, and the patient is stable.

For now.

If I get a serious case of covid is there any point in the process where I can just elect for self-termination, preferably before something like this happens?

mystes
May 31, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

If I get a serious case of covid is there any point in the process where I can just elect for self-termination, preferably before something like this happens?
Sure, just don't go to the hospital.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

Patient is in their 30s, got their first Moderna shot, but ended up covid+ and on a ventilator. Air gets into their chest cavity and both bases of their lungs collapse. The intensivist puts in a chest tube on the first side. They begin to put a chest tube in the second side when the patient decides to cardiac arrest. A second intensivist arrives to run the code as the first intensivist is cutting into the patient's chest to insert that second tube. The incision is huge because someone is doing chest compressions on the patient as the MD is slicing. Pulse comes back, chest tubes sutured as well as possible, and the patient is stable.

For now.

How far into shot 1 and what comorbidities?

ya dude: :suicide:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's incredible to me that they're still doing this wishful thinking poo poo

it's Jim Jordan. pretending kids can't be touched is like his whole thing

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

people can keep trying to ignore COVID and pretend it doesn't exist but I don't think the material circumstances will allow for that tbh

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

I think you can say you don't want to be ventilated

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

cr0y posted:

This is why I was interested in data about variant targeted boosters. Right now it seems like the existing antibodies are effective at very high success rates only when they are absolutely skyhigh following a boost, ie we are mostly staying ahead of the curve with shear numbers. If we had antibodies that had way higher binding affinity to variants we probably wouldn't see this rapid drop off in VE after the initial booster "surge" and could coast along a lot longer as the antibody levels drift down to whatever baseline is. This starts to look very similar to how we target flu variants every year.

pretty sure flu vaccines only have a 4ish month old effective period too. ive always been told to wait till late October to get the flu shot so your immunity doesnt wane before season ends. only reason we get the flu shot once a year is because it is so seasonal.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Atrocious Joe posted:

how were horses dewormed before ivermectin was discovered

Tobacco and folk tales.

Which reminds me: Whatever happened to that Chinese research showing a lower rate of death among smokers? Some sort of gender driven anomaly, given that the vast majority of Chinese smokers are men?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Overall covid seems to be going down again in Florida at least for the unvaxxed tho MU might give em a spike for vaxxed lamo. Sucks for the rest of the country tho if its anything like the last waves they will follow in Florida's footsteps.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Consummate Professional posted:

I think you can say you don't want to be ventilated

Except if you were a previously healthy 30 y/o, then you don't necessarily get to make that call. One of the med goons mentioned that itt last time that question came up

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

people can keep trying to ignore COVID and pretend it doesn't exist but I don't think the material circumstances will allow for that tbh

I think you're significantly overestimating people's capacity for self-delusion.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hexigrammus posted:

Tobacco and folk tales.

Which reminds me: Whatever happened to that Chinese research showing a lower rate of death among smokers? Some sort of gender driven anomaly, given that the vast majority of Chinese smokers are men?

I think it was like 1 preprint that got withdrawn.

However anecdotal, I have known 3 unvaxxinated chain smokers that bounced back from delta in like 3 days 🤷‍♂️

With the randomness of who gets laid out and who doesn't I suspect down the road we will find some genetic disposition to severe cases, especially because of the thousands of stories of entire family's getting murdered despite not living together.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 8, 2021

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

Lovelyn posted:

For now.

Chest tube gets kinked, another code is called, nobody notices the kink. Pulverize ribs and sternum and call it after a few minutes. Body bag

Many such cases

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Lacrosse posted:

Except if you were a previously healthy 30 y/o, then you don't necessarily get to make that call. One of the med goons mentioned that itt last time that question came up

maybe I should get "LET ME DIE" tattooed on my chest

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

fosborb posted:

it's Jim Jordan. pretending kids can't be touched is like his whole thing

lmao

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

cr0y posted:

This is why I was interested in data about variant targeted boosters. Right now it seems like the existing antibodies are effective at very high success rates only when they are absolutely skyhigh following a boost, ie we are mostly staying ahead of the curve with shear numbers. If we had antibodies that had way higher binding affinity to variants we probably wouldn't see this rapid drop off in VE after the initial booster "surge" and could coast along a lot longer as the antibody levels drift down to whatever baseline is. This starts to look very similar to how we target flu variants every year.

Given that mu's evasion advantage is most likely due to the E:484K mutation it might be that the SA variant targetted booster - moderna's first variant specific vaccine could be very effective.

If we had half a loving wit or any kind of forethought we'd be looking at the historical evasion performance of various mutations and running boosters through certification, and vetting the production processes so we have them ready.

As it stands, we're far from keeping up with the rate of mutation and with the awful uptake in the US and vaccine shortages worldwide, all we're really accomplishing is creating better environment for new evasion variants, along with the risk of deadlier disease.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

the 85% sterility is a misreading of the paper

it’s more like 21-46% less sperm per person

which won’t make men sterile but

somebody on Twitter pointed out that the bigger issue is that there is a massive decrease in motility of sperm

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
took 9 school days, but word finally spread throughout the 4th grade classes that the teachers can't make you wear your mask

lmao :rip:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Coldrice posted:

Added some more little animations for the disease spreading in my Covid simulator. I think tonight I'm going to step back from coding and creating assets, and just focus on how to make this a really fun sandbox :)

https://i.imgur.com/F38khem.gifv

oh this whips rear end :chanpop:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

DrPlump posted:

Overall covid seems to be going down again in Florida at least for the unvaxxed tho MU might give em a spike for vaxxed lamo. Sucks for the rest of the country tho if its anything like the last waves they will follow in Florida's footsteps.

What are you basing this statement on?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hexigrammus posted:

Tobacco and folk tales.

that’s the only study that was done about it. China can’t study it anymore because they successfully defeated covid and America won’t study it because it would destroy 30 years of anti-smoking public health messaging if it were true. also America isn’t studying anything about covid, because it is over.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

fosborb posted:

took 9 school days, but word finally spread throughout the 4th grade classes that the teachers can't make you wear your mask

lmao :rip:

surprised it took that long tbh

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jon Irenicus posted:

surprised it took that long tbh

sorry, took that long before my 4th grader was willing to me about it. so..... 45 minutes into the first day?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Jon Irenicus posted:

None of those motherfuckers could ignore Trump when all he did was tweet. They have no right to tell others to just ignore anything.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Blitter posted:

Given that mu's evasion advantage is most likely due to the E:484K mutation it might be that the SA variant targetted booster - moderna's first variant specific vaccine could be very effective.

If we had half a loving wit or any kind of forethought we'd be looking at the historical evasion performance of various mutations and running boosters through certification, and vetting the production processes so we have them ready.

As it stands, we're far from keeping up with the rate of mutation and with the awful uptake in the US and vaccine shortages worldwide, all we're really accomplishing is creating better environment for new evasion variants, along with the risk of deadlier disease.

I think the US and some other countries with large domestic vaccine manufacturing capability will be able to eventually get the pipeline optimized such that we can mostly keep up (for those who will actually take the drat things). Globally though? Not a chance in hell.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blitter posted:

What are you basing this statement on?

Source: i live in florida

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

current recovering from my third vaccine injury :smugdog:

e; how many days of suck n fuk left???

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i made one of those corsi boxes but put the furnace filters facing the wrong way lol. except for one.

should i redo it or is this fine?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lovelyn posted:

For now.

yowzers, that’s some grey’s anatomy poo poo right there

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ash1138 posted:

"the chances of any breakthrough infections were a million to one," he said

but still they come

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lovelyn posted:

For now.
loving hell

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Soap Scum posted:

[COVID-19] 😡 mask

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

So COVID kills your erection and horse paste kills your sperm? Sounds like we're breeding out the Republicans then.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

Nevermind, I'll take however many shots I need to to not end up like that
lol i was about to blow up on your previous post
like gently caress that take as many shots as needed, lie cheat steal
get every meme name in the book
or just give up??? :getout:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

od on horse paste to take your god given icu bed from those godless commie cancer patients

Manifest Bedstiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
here come the seattle area school problems

Lake Washington school sends 81 home after two students test positive COVID-19

schools have been open like 4 days now lmao