Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Those are the two guards that gave the main character their uniform early on? Seemed like a decent duo, I'm kinda curious what they might be like encountered apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkTechnomancer
Oct 16, 2021

Jazerus posted:

it would be cool to see more of guan yi and especially xin wei - they don't show up much anymore for how prominent they were early on

I really like writing them, too. An unfortunate consequence of the house arrest situation is that a lot of the male characters end up drifting into the periphery a bit due to Jia and Eui's limited interaction with them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is even going on

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nettle Soup posted:

I read all of "Her Golemancer Girlfriend" over the last couple of days [...]

avoraciopoctules posted:

[...] No stat sheets, thankfully, but there's a LOT of names to keep track of, [...]

Something I noticed that Her Golemancer Girlfriend did very well, was that it clarified names all the time, especially for characters that only had bit-parts or hadn't been on screen for a while. Sentences like "A week separated her last visit with the knowledgeable shopkeeper Urgul" or "that accountant Castien" really hammered home exactly who was being mentioned.

It's a simple thing, but a lot of stories just assume that you remember who people are, and I find with web serials, especially ones with fantasy or chinese names, that half the time I don't even remember the name of the main characters, nevermind that one dude who appeared 45 chapters and 6 months ago. I really appreciated it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Renowned cultivator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Caught up to katalepsis. Sad that I'm out of words to eat. But just to be clear, Heather's doing the thing she's doing now because she wants a glass of water and something to eat?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
condolences to the family of all the katalepsis patreon readers who were killed by the latest chapter and the word kitten

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sibling of TB posted:

Caught up to katalepsis. Sad that I'm out of words to eat. But just to be clear, Heather's doing the thing she's doing now because she wants a glass of water and something to eat?

And to be able to get home. But yeah, that's her more immediate concern.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sibling of TB posted:

While that would be an appropriately university-student like motivation for almost blowing herself up with an atomic finger-snap, no; she's still trying to get home, and the only method left is hoping the King in Yellow is feeling like giving his daughter's "special friend" a helping hand.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

condolences to the family of all the katalepsis patreon readers who were killed by the latest chapter and the word kitten

There's like half a dozen different things in that chapter which have sent the discord server feral all day.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hungry posted:

While that would be an appropriately university-student like motivation for almost blowing herself up with an atomic finger-snap, no; she's still trying to get home, and the only method left is hoping the King in Yellow is feeling like giving his daughter's "special friend" a helping hand.

There's like half a dozen different things in that chapter which have sent the discord server feral all day.

knot-bait :eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Perfect Run just wrapped up for non Patreon readers. I highly recommend it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I appreciate that such a sad, hosed up setting has a happy ending.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Looks like Weirkey Chronicles (Sarah Lin; also author of Street Cultivation, New Game Minus, and The Brightest Shadow) started updating again, with chapters from book 4.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Hungry posted:

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it and I hope the anxiety isn't too bad. Unless it's the good, narrative-related kind. If you don't mind me asking, is it the content causing that? The themes the story touches on? Something else? Again, if you're uncomfortable answering, please don't feel you have to.

Not the person you asked but as a fan of Katalepsis the thing that gives me the most anxiety by far is Heather's vomiting. Due to my own health problems I always dislike it when a character is being physically sick and your girl throws up an awful lot. I understand this is an important part of the character and you can't change it but I would unironically appreciate it if she could start carrying some mouthwash or something around with her. It will make it just that little bit less gross and will save Heather's teeth from getting wrecked by stomach acid like mine are :(

Anyway I am still loving the story. Can't wait to meet Seven's family!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hungry posted:

Thank you so much. It is incredibly gratifying to hear that I've captured that feeling of the post-industrial North. Most of my readers are Americans, so while they get it, maybe they don't get it, you know?

This is mostly me rambling and not to do with web serials at all. Feel free to pass.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I grew up in a big dilapidated victorian house, and so did my best friend. Eventually just me and my mum for a 5 bedroomed, 3 story house. Ours falling apart because we had no money to keep it up, my friends because her parents are insane hippies. I can see the kitchen in your story, not our kitchen, but all the wood is grey and dusty. There's never quite enough light, and nothing you ever do gets it clean, not that you really try, and the smell of boiled potatoes never quite goes away. Somebody long dead has tacked a leaky fibreglass extension onto the back for more utility space and (supposedly?) light, but in reality it just makes it even darker. The carpet is thin enough you can see the outline of the floorboards through it, and the rooms you don't go into much are silent and dim and filled with ancient oak furniture and generations of long-replaced sofas, because that's what survives, and why throw it out when somebody can still make use of it. The ceilings are all a minimum 10ft high, so the curtains are thick and dusty and always half closed and haven't been taken down since before you were born.

The area surrounding us was all takeaways and charity shops, with a spattering of useful old shops with bells over the doors, which mostly shut down over the time I lived there to be replaced with transient wine-bars and yet more charity shops. The house next to us on one side was student housing, with between 7 and 14 people living in it, moving on every year, and on the other was split into flats, with ever-changing tenants that I never met.

A few years back when my mum was dying, we used to get hospital-transport to and from appointments. It was basically a bus, they'd pick up all the patients one-by-one from their homes and then drop them all off again afterwards. I remember one old couple being dropped off down a tree-lined cul-de-sac with a small park entrance at the end, and I don't think that street had really changed in a hundred years. All of the houses on this tree-shrouded dead-end road were Victorian middle-class homes, hidden behind overgrown hedges of rhodedendrums and oak and monkey puzzle trees, probably all inhabited by old people who'd lived there since they were young, and who's last attempts to modernise was when they moved in, back in the 50s or 60s.

We were forced to move out of that house when I was 18 and it's been through several different developers since then. The latest ones have gutted it down to the brick and knocked down walls and modernised it beyond recognition by putting in faux-victorian fixtures that it never had when I knew it. I wonder what the ghosts thought...

I still dream about that house.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lot 49 posted:

Not the person you asked but as a fan of Katalepsis the thing that gives me the most anxiety by far is Heather's vomiting. Due to my own health problems I always dislike it when a character is being physically sick and your girl throws up an awful lot. I understand this is an important part of the character and you can't change it but I would unironically appreciate it if she could start carrying some mouthwash or something around with her. It will make it just that little bit less gross and will save Heather's teeth from getting wrecked by stomach acid like mine are :(

Anyway I am still loving the story. Can't wait to meet Seven's family!

I've tried to significantly reduce the vomiting as the story has progressed, partly because of well, Heather's character arc, but also because of this, yes. It still crops up sometimes though. If she doesn't get it under control for good soon perhaps somebody will actually suggest carrying mouthwash!

Nettle Soup posted:

This is mostly me rambling and not to do with web serials at all. Feel free to pass.

I know you said feel free to pass, but that was genuinely really, really interesting, thank you. It is exactly those sorts of feelings that I've tried to capture with several locations in Katalepsis.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nettle Soup posted:

I've been thinking about this a lot. I grew up in a big dilapidated victorian house, and so did my best friend. Eventually just me and my mum for a 5 bedroomed, 3 story house. Ours falling apart because we had no money to keep it up, my friends because her parents are insane hippies. I can see the kitchen in your story, not our kitchen, but all the wood is grey and dusty. There's never quite enough light, and nothing you ever do gets it clean, not that you really try, and the smell of boiled potatoes never quite goes away. Somebody long dead has tacked a leaky fibreglass extension onto the back for more utility space and (supposedly?) light, but in reality it just makes it even darker. The carpet is thin enough you can see the outline of the floorboards through it, and the rooms you don't go into much are silent and dim and filled with ancient oak furniture and generations of long-replaced sofas, because that's what survives, and why throw it out when somebody can still make use of it. The ceilings are all a minimum 10ft high, so the curtains are thick and dusty and always half closed and haven't been taken down since before you were born.

The area surrounding us was all takeaways and charity shops, with a spattering of useful old shops with bells over the doors, which mostly shut down over the time I lived there to be replaced with transient wine-bars and yet more charity shops. The house next to us on one side was student housing, with between 7 and 14 people living in it, moving on every year, and on the other was split into flats, with ever-changing tenants that I never met.

A few years back when my mum was dying, we used to get hospital-transport to and from appointments. It was basically a bus, they'd pick up all the patients one-by-one from their homes and then drop them all off again afterwards. I remember one old couple being dropped off down a tree-lined cul-de-sac with a small park entrance at the end, and I don't think that street had really changed in a hundred years. All of the houses on this tree-shrouded dead-end road were Victorian middle-class homes, hidden behind overgrown hedges of rhodedendrums and oak and monkey puzzle trees, probably all inhabited by old people who'd lived there since they were young, and who's last attempts to modernise was when they moved in, back in the 50s or 60s.

We were forced to move out of that house when I was 18 and it's been through several different developers since then. The latest ones have gutted it down to the brick and knocked down walls and modernised it beyond recognition by putting in faux-victorian fixtures that it never had when I knew it. I wonder what the ghosts thought...

That’s a very moving description.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hungry posted:

I've tried to significantly reduce the vomiting as the story has progressed, partly because of well, Heather's character arc, but also because of this, yes. It still crops up sometimes though. If she doesn't get it under control for good soon perhaps somebody will actually suggest carrying mouthwash!

I know you said feel free to pass, but that was genuinely really, really interesting, thank you. It is exactly those sorts of feelings that I've tried to capture with several locations in Katalepsis.

if her use of the teachings of an ineffably alien being to mold the very shape of reality like clay constantly makes her sick and filled with pain, why doesn't she simply change reality so she stops feeling like complete and utter poo poo every time she uses the teachings?

like she installed a loving fission reactor inside her body, adding a morphine drip to her circulatory system shouldnt be that tricky

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

I would simply use ineffable alien brainmaths to perform brain and soul surgery on myself.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I would just replace my teeth with very small tentacles. That have teeth.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I would simply expand my occult lesbian polycule, by accident.

Sorry, what was the question?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's one of the many problems with these litrpg works. If humans having game stats were a thing, developing the most optimized build would be an entire field of study, and nations would devote massive resources into research for it. A single person who plays video games a lot isn't going to be able to compete, especially considering they won't have nearly as much knowledge about what exactly each stat and ability does and their limitations.

This is actually something Outcast has usually been very good about (and is part of the reason I enjoy it, while I usually have trouble with litrpg stuff). Other people are aware of "minmaxing" (and even call it that) and non-humans lack an ability that is necessary to make use of the "heavily inflate VIT" strategy the protagonist uses (which doesn't really pay dividends unless you've reached a high enough level and leveled its skills accordingly). From what we've been shown, the non-humans are, in fact, building their classes optimally (at least for the circumstances they found themselves in).

KamikazePotato posted:

One of the key reasons that Rob's strategy works is because he managed to snag Regeneration and Lifesurge early on - both are Skills with harsh prerequisites that very few people will ever manage to achieve without just straight-up dying instead. Regrow Limb is 'easier' to get, but it's also a Prerequisite where if you're in a combat situation where you just lost a limb, you're probably going to bite it. Without those Skills, he (and everyone else he knows) would have bought the farm early on. The thing about focusing on Vitality instead of say, Strength or Dexterity, is that injuries are still going to suck even with a higher HP pool and defensive buffs. You're going to feel weaker and overall not fight at your best, leading to further injuries. And unless you have a Healer on call, you're looking at a painful recovery, potential crippling wounds, and/or death from blood loss. There's actually an upcoming chapter (much later on) that shows what happens to tanky combatants who get grievously injured and don't have access to free rare healing. It's not great for them. Meanwhile, high Dexterity people have a much easier time not getting hit in the first place, while high Strength people can overpower their opponents and win quickly win engages with a few good blows. In a world where 99% of people don't have Regeneration and Lifesurge, you reaaally want to avoid getting hit as much as possible.

As for Berserker, it's not a class that's very good against fighting people in general. It's one of the only Classes that comes without a Skill dedicated to improving weapon proficiency, which means that equal-leveled fighters will generally be more skilled than you for less work. Lifesteal is only good if you can actually hit your opponent, and the healing is actually fairly small unless you're fighting another person with lots of HP. Rampage is a very solid offensive move, but it's not any better than the offensive Skills other Classes have. Rob's Vitality 100 Skill is extremely strong and synergizes crazy good with Lifesteal, but there's still the matter of hitting an opponent who's inherently better with their weapon of choice than you are (and put points into Dexterity and Strength), and other 100 Skills are *also* crazy good regardless. Blood for Blood only matters if you're hitting them, and is less effective if you don't focus on Vitality, which hurts your Dexterity and Strength...see where I'm going with this? I'm not saying that Berserkers are never going to tag their opponents, but they're going to have a tougher time of it than other Classes. They have to get 'luckier' than their opponent to win. Most people prefer consistency.

Look at some other Classes versus the standard Berserker. A Warrior with a greatsword probably beats the poo poo out of them in most cases. A Ranger or a Mage at a fair distance is going to grievously injure them before they get close without spamming Rampage, which will leave the Berserker with low mana and fresh out of Class Skills to use. In that case, the Ranger runs away with their higher Dexterity and goes back to shooting from afar. The Mage has a tougher time, but there are spells that can deal with people at close range, and if the Party's Mage was left unattended then something went bad anyway. Swordmaster has inherent abilities that increase Dexterity and will likely never get hit. You can see this in Rob's fight against the Elven Swordsmaster; he couldn't even touch her and almost got his head chopped off in one attack, although a big part of that was his own lack of personal fighting experience. Vanguard loses, but Vanguard isn't supposed to win 1 v 1 in general.

What Berserker IS great at is fighting monsters, as monsters use less strategy and fight more recklessly than people do. Suddenly it gets a lot easier to hit/dodge your opponent and your Skills start mattering. Rob has almost exclusively fought monsters up until this point, which is part of the reason he isn't dead.

Thank you for the explanation! As mentioned above, part of why I like your story is that it is far more reasonable about this stuff than most others. And now that you mention it, we were directly shown the weaknesses of Rob's build during the confrontation with the Seneschal's people that you mention. There just haven't been many situations like that in the story yet (though it's obvious there will be at some point in the future).

One other thing that has always been true so far is that the protagonist actually relies upon his companions, and I like that his "cheat abilities" - through the Crystal Bearer sub-class - essentially just give his party more flexibility and only directly empower Rob in kind of weird indirect ways (like being able to store some of the fire during the recent dungeon).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 19, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
This chapter of TUTBAD (32) is a good demonstration of how Wales sweats the details of magic to an extent that I don't think I've encountered in any other work. It makes the world feel more real, that they have to worry about stupid bullshit like gently caress, how do we leverage this big rear end tree out of the dimensional space?

It reminds me a bit of Shallan asking Adolin what he does when he's in shardplate in a battle and needs to take a poo poo. I guess a lot of readers don't care, or maybe it even takes them out of the story for the characters to be discussing such mundane details, but personally I love it.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
The first chapter of Underland by Void Herald was just posted on RR, and I have to say I'm liking it a lot. It's just a really interesting premise where the MC is the descendant of a guy who got isekai'd, and wants to kinda ressurect him to ask about Earth because the world he lives in is a frozen hell. Like, the live underground and farm mushrooms (using undead workers raised through licensed necromancy) because the surface is frozen and uninhabitable. Also, he really wants to see the sun, which is a thing no living person has every done..

Also, after a three month hiatus, The Devil's Foundry by Argentorum is back! Book 1 is done, and the first chapter of Book 2 is on RR. I really like the first book, looks like we're having a short timeskip while the MC builds up her village.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 20, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Starting Fates Parallel book 2 today.

“Oh, ancestors, this is difficult. Where to begin? First, I suppose I should confirm that Yeong Jiwoo—the mage I killed—was engaged to Sun Jaehwa, but it was an arranged marriage. Second, um, Sun Jaehwa and I were—uh, m-more than just...friends.”

Jia blinked at Eui in confusion. Eui had gone so bright red that she looked like she might set the couch on fire, and she was cringing as if expecting someone to hit her.

“You mean like...best friends?”

“Sun Jaehwa wasn’t my best friend, Jia. She was my girlfriend.”

Jia’s expression was blank as it finally clicked for her. Eui’s teasing, her jealousy over Dae, her embarrassment when talking about Sun Jaehwa. The new context explained so many different things.

“Oh.”

Eui covered her face with a hand and sighed.

“Oh? Jia, you are the queen of underreactions.”

Jia blushed and scratched her cheek. What was she supposed to say to that?

“Eui, are we—roommates?”

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Starting Fates Parallel book 2 today.

A bad decision. Do not read Fates Parallel.

Here have a kitten instead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Anias posted:

A bad decision. Do not read Fates Parallel.

Here have a kitten instead.

Gonna need some stats on that kitten.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Cat 10/10

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

1/4 hd ac 14 C claw (d4-2)/claw (d4-2)/bite (d4-2)

imagine the quote box is blue or something

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Narmi posted:

The first chapter of Underland by Void Herald was just posted on RR, and I have to say I'm liking it a lot. It's just a really interesting premise where the MC is the descendant of a guy who got isekai'd, and wants to kinda ressurect him to ask about Earth because the world he lives in is a frozen hell. Like, the live underground and farm mushrooms (using undead workers raised through licensed necromancy) because the surface is frozen and uninhabitable. Also, he really wants to see the sun, which is a thing no living person has every done..

Also, after a three month hiatus, The Devil's Foundry by Argentorum is back! Book is done, and the first chapter of Book 2 is on RR. I really like the first book, looks like we're having a short timeskip while the MC builds up her village.

I firmly believe that Void Herald is the single best author on Royal Road, bar none. Sure, Azarinth Healer is the most weekly popular. Sure, Mecademius has two hugely popular ongoing novels. Yeah, BOC is the highest rated novel that's still going. Nobody completes high-ranking novels like Void Herald does. He has the #2, #3, and #4 spot on "Best Completed", the #11 spot on "Best Ongoing", and now has another, entirely different novel going on.

Sure, people can hit it out of the park in one specific genre, or one specific story. He's consistently hit it out of the park with multiple different types of stories. Greek litRPG, post apoc superheros, comedy dragons, and more! Not every story is for everyone, but every story is good, and seems to resonate with a lot of people.

I dunno how many other authors manage to get web comic deals, but I know he has one.

.... I want a web comic deal.

All this to say - I fully anticipate Underland will be yet another success.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's based

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Fates Parallel is good, actually, even if the Qin part 2 plotline could have probably been done better. Calling the Hayakawa situation slavery is completely insane.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Underland seems good so far. I bounced off the perfect run originally but it and uh the dragon one have been on my to-read list for a while.

Ground floor is a very convenient place to start.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I guess I'll have to add Fates to my list of stuff to read, it seems to be pretty divisive.

Please don't let this be another Cinnamon Bun.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Kalas posted:

I guess I'll have to add Fates to my list of stuff to read, it seems to be pretty divisive.

...Cinnamon Bun?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Someone earlier in the thread got mixed up which of the authour's work has explicit (Skippable) sex-scene chapters in.

It's Stray Cat Strut, with the 19 year old protagonist. Not Cinnamon Bun with the 16 year old protagonist.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Galick posted:

...Cinnamon Bun?

Cardiovorax posted:

The later chapters become somewhat creepily fixated on discussing the sexual predilections and/or misadventures of the (very much underage) cast of characters. There's a dog person side character who sticks around for a few chapters and who keeps referring to one of the teenage girls as "the moist one" who "smells like she wants to mate." I refused to read any more of it after the newly introduced (and very much adult) owner of the airship "Beaver Cleaver" started relentlessly hitting on said group of ~16-ish year old girls, because the creep factor just seems to keep ramping up further and further.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Did not get it mixed up.

Nuerophage did the explaining for me.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Selkie Myth posted:

I firmly believe that Void Herald is the single best author on Royal Road, bar none.

I tried Vainqueur the Dragon, Never Die Twice, The Perfect Run, and Kairos: A Greek Myth LitRPG without realizing they were from the same author. I bounced off or reached a point where I decided it wasn't worth continuing to read in all of them. Void Herald does a good job of giving RR what RR wants, but I don't know that makes them the best author on RR.

If I had to pick, I'd probably pick Etzoli or TMarkos for completing multiple well written and compelling stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kalas posted:

I didn't find anything in it creepy. Well, I guess there are elements of "Our souls are linked, that means we're destined to be together!" which I wasn't exactly thrilled with but it doesn't seem to do anything creepy with it at least.

Do report back on the divisiveness though. It's not the first time I've read stuff others enjoyed, but it's the first time I read the complaints and wondered if we were reading the same book. My current theory is that others have read books that did similar things and went horrible places with them, and therefor were unhappy about otherwise pretty innocuous stuff. I still don't get why I've seen several different people comparing swearing fealty to a feudal lord to slavery.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I tried Vainqueur the Dragon, Never Die Twice, The Perfect Run, and Kairos: A Greek Myth LitRPG without realizing they were from the same author. I bounced off or reached a point where I decided it wasn't worth continuing to read in all of them. Void Herald does a good job of giving RR what RR wants, but I don't know that makes them the best author on RR.

If I had to pick, I'd probably pick Etzoli or TMarkos for completing multiple well written and compelling stories.

I also dropped Vainqueur and Never Die Twice since I just didn't find either that enjoyable, but from the reactions I've seen I accept that I'm definitely in the minority. I haven't tried his other stuff yet, though I did mark The Perfect Run for a read since I heard it was complete.