Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That said, Yor is routinely depicted as having a narrower but far more extreme skillset than Loid. He's simply very good at everything to do with spycraft (which is an impressively broad field), whereas she's a completely unstoppable juggernaut.

As a comparison, imagine that they were both asked to eliminate a terrorist headquarters. Loid would spend a week or so mapping out patrol routes, gathering building blueprints, and memorising the names, faces, and mannerisms of every person in the organisation. He'd then infiltrate the headquarters and meticulously dismantle his opponents through stealth, sabotage, disguise-work, and precisely applied violence.

Yor, meanwhile, would just burst through the front door and kill anything that moves like a goddamned Dynasty Warriors character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something nobody's mentioned about the Loid and Yor fight is that Loid can't actually, y'know, fight back. If he actually went all out on Yor it would completely gently caress up his whole mission.

I'd venture they don't mention it because it's poppycock. He's applied non-lethal techniques before, and there's no reason he couldn't fight back within reason in that situation, since the whole game is to beat whatevers thrown at him. He might not want to injure Yor for the sake of a game, but he fought plenty of people up to that point without injuring them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh my god stop trying to power levels this family comedy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

could goku beat a spy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spies are about subterfuge and Goku would believe any lie you told him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Loid beats Goku with prep time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My dad could beat up your dad, unless your name is trunks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sydin posted:

Loid beats Goku with prep time.

Loid replaces goku's heart medication with delicious jellybeans

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tunicate posted:

Loid replaces goku's heart medication with delicious jellybeans
Goku would do that on his own tbh

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Darth Walrus posted:

That said, Yor is routinely depicted as having a narrower but far more extreme skillset than Loid. He's simply very good at everything to do with spycraft (which is an impressively broad field), whereas she's a completely unstoppable juggernaut.

As a comparison, imagine that they were both asked to eliminate a terrorist headquarters. Loid would spend a week or so mapping out patrol routes, gathering building blueprints, and memorising the names, faces, and mannerisms of every person in the organisation. He'd then infiltrate the headquarters and meticulously dismantle his opponents through stealth, sabotage, disguise-work, and precisely applied violence.

Yor, meanwhile, would just burst through the front door and kill anything that moves like a goddamned Dynasty Warriors character.

Yeah. Loid is a scalpel, if his mission succeeds, the target doesn't know anything happened. He is perfectly capable of killing people but, (particularly given this is a Cold War Germany riff) his victims die of "natural causes." Yor is a blunt instrument, a terror weapon. She gets sent when there's an example to be made, when her handlers want everyone to know that the deceased did something to get the Thorn Princess sent to paint the room red. She's the one-woman equivalent of the Mossad hit squads taking revenge after Munich.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Good episode. Enjoyed our first Twilight vs Thorns teaser, can't wait for a proper showdown. Given their respective jobs I suspect that Yor would win in a straight fight but Loid can use subterfuge to avoid one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My two favorite parts of this episode were:
1. Discovering Yor is a wino.
2. The way Anya kept saying "Loidman, tasukete..."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

tsob posted:

I'd venture they don't mention it because it's poppycock. He's applied non-lethal techniques before, and there's no reason he couldn't fight back within reason in that situation, since the whole game is to beat whatevers thrown at him. He might not want to injure Yor for the sake of a game, but he fought plenty of people up to that point without injuring them.

Poppycock, eh? Well your post is bafflegab and flummery.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
You're all just a bunch of flibberygibbits.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
iirc the author's been on record saying that Yor is stronger than Loid combat-wise, and it's not even close. The manga does eventually deliver an arc that basically amounts to the writer furiously underlining "NOT EVEN CLOSE" over and over in red marker, but the manga did suffer from Yor being rather under-utilized up to that point, and I hope the adaptation gives her a bit more to do. I suppose one of the reasons for it is general opinion dictating that a protagonist shown constantly killing people becomes less sympathetic, which requires Yor to dispose of bad guys in non-lethal manners, which isn't uninteresting by itself, but we've already seen Twilight doing it since episode 1, so it's hard for her to stand out in comparison.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

iirc the author's been on record saying that Yor is stronger than Loid combat-wise, and it's not even close. The manga does eventually deliver an arc that basically amounts to the writer furiously underlining "NOT EVEN CLOSE" over and over in red marker, but the manga did suffer from Yor being rather under-utilized up to that point, and I hope the adaptation gives her a bit more to do. I suppose one of the reasons for it is general opinion dictating that a protagonist shown constantly killing people becomes less sympathetic, which requires Yor to dispose of bad guys in non-lethal manners, which isn't uninteresting by itself, but we've already seen Twilight doing it since episode 1, so it's hard for her to stand out in comparison.

Cool, that addresses my concerns. Any idea if we're likely to get that far?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We are not going to get that far this season at the rate we're going. Maybe it'll be how they end a two-cour season 2.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Twilight's MO in combat so far has been to get a few surprise hits in and make a break for it. I get the general impression from how he operates that your average group of hired goons could probably take him in a straight fight, and if he encountered someone like Yor in the field he wouldn't even bother trying to engage them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnoHito posted:

Twilight's MO in combat so far has been to get a few surprise hits in and make a break for it. I get the general impression from how he operates that your average group of hired goons could probably take him in a straight fight, and if he encountered someone like Yor in the field he wouldn't even bother trying to engage them.

Unless he tasked was to take her out, then he would probably come up with a plan for it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 9, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Unless he tasked was to take her out, then he would probably come up with a plan for it.

Detailed plan for neutralizing the Thorn Princess:

1. Get a bottle of wine
  2. Get a SECOND bottle of wine
  3. Game Over

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder if there is a Yor vs Twilight fight in the manga because I really want to see one in the anime.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Detailed plan for neutralizing the Thorn Princess:

1. Get a bottle of wine
  3. Game Over

More like:

1. Get a bottle of wine
  3. BRING MORE WINE
  4. gently caress we are out of wine
  5. Game Over

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if there is a Yor vs Twilight fight in the manga because I really want to see one in the anime.

Not yet. The drunk Yor fight is as close as we've got.

(That said, she does kick him in the chin at one point, which we might hit in the second cour.)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Having read absolutely zero of the manga and having no influence outside the aired episodes: I hope that when that fight finally happens they realize who the other is and Lloyd proposes to her again.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

What brand Wine were they drinking?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Electric Phantasm posted:

The ED has a music video with english subs, the lyrics fit pretty well with the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Oyplmhhv0

I've been listening to this nonstop.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

SexyBlindfold posted:

This is canonical as far as I'm concerned:

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Why does Mixed Nuts go so hard? I can't stop listening to it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

Does twilight have a weak stomach or is this a Yor/Anya bad cooking joke

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Yor bad cooking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's not Yor's cooking because there is a family-wide agreement that Yor does not and should not cook except in the direst emergencies. It's a stress-induced stomach ulcer because he's the most all-around competent person in WISE, so he gets asked to help out with absofuckinglutely everything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It can be two things!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Every time Loid needs to break away to do spy stuff on no notice, he says he’s having indigestion.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

RuBisCO posted:

Smarts: 2

Poor Mama

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Smarts: 2

Poor Mama

Note Anya ranks her under the stuffed penguin.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

narm00 posted:

Note Anya ranks her under the stuffed penguin.

Intelligence is Yor's dump stat so she can kick real hard.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SirKibbles posted:

Yor is the Kick Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baWMuAIMovE

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

SirKibbles posted:

STR supremacy, INT builds can go to hell

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

STR supremacy, INT builds can go to hell

BIG BILL HELL'S!

BRING YOUR TRADE, BRING YOUR TITLE, BRING YOUR WIFE, THEN gently caress HER! THAT'S RIGHT LOID! gently caress YOUR WIFE!

BERLINT'S FILTHIEST AND EXCLUSIVE HOME OF THE MEANEST SONS OF BITCHES IN THE NATION OF OSTANIA, GUARANTEED!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

This episode was great.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yor is the Kick Master

Bonus Punch Master