Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I like how I don’t even have to know there’s an election upcoming, to know there’s an election upcoming.

Just need to wait and hear the racist howls coming from the east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

National Post posted:

It is controversial because it is inherently undemocratic when wealthy officers and directors exploit the unique legal status of a corporation in order to marshal significant resources toward their preferred political agendas.

So, so close to hitting the target. Like watchinh one of those guys at a basketball game whose seat gets called up to make a free throw for $10,000, and bounces it off the rim

Arivia posted:

i love how this guy is enough of a loving idiot he doesn't understand that pinkwashing is an advertising strategy that makes companies money

Can shareholders in Canada already sue if they believe the company isn't doing enough to maximize return, or is that more of a south of the border flavor?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

They should put Louis Riel on the money

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Where are my Amor de Cosmos stans.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

I like how I don’t even have to know there’s an election upcoming, to know there’s an election upcoming.

Just need to wait and hear the racist howls coming from the east.

what are you talking about

like an election what, federally? why would there be an election federally?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Arivia posted:

what are you talking about

like an election what, federally? why would there be an election federally?

The Quebec election.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Starks posted:

I'm a big fan of just doing differently angled shots of the Canadarm for every bill myself

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mr. Mercury posted:

I'm a big fan of just doing differently angled shots of the Canadarm for every bill myself

Like a fireman's calendar but better

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

kaom posted:

Is this down to Montreal vs the rest of the province demographics, or something else?

The current projections are here:https://338canada.com/quebec/. Take that all with a grain of salt, as polling by voting district in Canada is generally very poorly done and probably doubly bad in French speaking regions.

Seems like the modeling is really looking at the fact that there's 4 parties with between 10 and 18% of the vote, and one massively ahead with 40% and that's a recipie for a landslide in a first past the post system. The Liberals will absolutely crush a whole bunch of Montréal ridings, the other parties will squeak out seats in a few places, the the CAQ will win everywhere else.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Lassitude posted:

I wonder if he remembers the country the Quebec Mosque or École Polytechnique shooters were from.

One thing the Quebec media has always been very surprisingly decent about was specifically *not* mentioning anything about the Polytechnique shooter’s ethnic background.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Better things are possible.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nine of Eight posted:

One thing the Quebec media has always been very surprisingly decent about was specifically *not* mentioning anything about the Polytechnique shooter’s ethnic background.

I'm unaware of his ethnic background, just that he was from Quebec. I just think it's kind of incredible to hear essentially "Quebecois love peace, unlike those immigrants" when we have two pretty infamous mass shootings having taken place there committed by folks from Quebec, one such just a handful of years ago. And that one incited by similarly xenophobic comments.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Lassitude posted:

I'm unaware of his ethnic background, just that he was from Quebec. I just think it's kind of incredible to hear essentially "Quebecois love peace, unlike those immigrants" when we have two pretty infamous mass shootings having taken place there committed by folks from Quebec, one such just a handful of years ago. And that one incited by similarly xenophobic comments.

Both shooters were as pure laine white french quebecers as they come OP

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Starks posted:

How about Louis-Joseph Papineau and William Lyon Mackenzie.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

The Butcher posted:

CANDA

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

The Butcher posted:

They took the "A"s from the two CANDAs to give to CANAADAA.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

impossiboobs posted:

The AI art generators don’t quite understand human printed language so they mess with letters a bit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Proud to be a Coanalian!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ordering my Wacanda Forever coins now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

impossiboobs posted:

I'm sure it means the money! Those coins over there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

run on sentience posted:

So CBS is in fact pushing for paid plasma donation. Because they aren't already getting enough backlash from getting rid of mandatory masking, I guess.

Love to literally drain the poors and sell their fluids to the highest international bidder.

I was reminded of this topic thanks to a great guest essay on plasma donation in the US from the NYT. So you probably won't be surprised that Canadian Blood Services went ahead and signed a shady-rear end deal to privatize plasma collection:

Globe and Mail posted:

Canadian Blood Services has for the first time completed an agreement with a private, for-profit company to collect blood plasma from the country’s donors – a move that the head of the agency says will open the door to paid plasma collection in Ontario and B.C., where the practice is currently banned.

CBS announced Wednesday it had signed a deal with Grifols, an international pharmaceutical firm headquartered in Spain, to partner on collecting blood plasma from Canadian donors for use in manufacturing medication for the country’s patients.

CBS said the initial term of the agreement was 15 years, with possible extensions. The agency, which oversees blood collection in all provinces except Quebec, declined to disclose financial terms of the deal because of commercial confidentiality.

The deal is part of CBS’s strategy to boost its domestic collection of plasma. The agency currently collects about 15 per cent of its needs in Canada through voluntary donations and buys the rest from the global market, where donors are often paid.

CBS has been constructing additional collection centres to get to 25-per-cent self-sufficiency, but the agency says the deal with Grifols will allow it to source more than 50 per cent of its plasma needs from within Canada.

The business model of private firms relies on paying donors for their plasma. Paid plasma collection is banned in Ontario and British Columbia, though the laws in both provinces contain an exemption for CBS or its agents.

(The practice is also banned in Quebec and the provincial blood agency has said it has no plans to change or work around that.)

Graham Sher, the chief executive officer of CBS, said it is his understanding that the deal with Grifols will allow the company to circumvent the bans in Ontario and B.C.

“It is our assessment that the transaction that we’ve negotiated with Grifols is in compliance with the agent exemption granted under those two pieces of legislation,” Dr. Sher said.

When asked why CBS granted a de-facto monopoly on paid plasma collection in the two provinces, Dr. Sher said he was not at liberty to explain that decision because of the commercial sensitivities in how the agency evaluated companies’ bids for the contract.

Grifols, which did not respond to a request for comment on Wednesday, has identified Canada as a growth market in past news releases and investor documents. The company bought a manufacturing facility in Montreal in 2020 and a donation centre in Winnipeg in 2021.

Dr. Sher indicated Grifols’s recent investments in Canada, along with the fact that CBS has purchased the company’s plasma products for many years, was a major factor in why it was chosen for this contract.

“They are familiar with the Canadian market and we are familiar with them,” he said.

Barzin Bahardoust, chief executive officer of Canadian Plasma Resources, the largest chain of private plasma collectors in Canada, said CBS’s decision to work with private companies is a step in the right direction for ensuring better domestic supply of plasma.

However, he said he was concerned by the agency’s decision to allow one company exclusive rights to collecting paid plasma in some major markets.

“Having a more competitive environment would lead to better quality and better value for patients,” Mr. Bahardoust said. “I don’t think they justified why they only wanted to have one operator.”

The deal marks a major change in direction for CBS. The agency had long warned that allowing private plasma collectors to operate in Canada would negatively affect its own voluntary collection efforts.

Dr. Sher said the details of the deal with Grifols has alleviated those concerns. He said the company will only be allowed to operate in markets where CBS is not and will have to submit a list of proposed collection sites to the agency for approval before they are to be built.

“Some of the concerns that have been raised in the past, both by ourselves and by others, is that the unbridled expansion of the commercial plasma sector, without controls, is the issue that we would be concerned about,” Dr. Sher said. “The significant outcome of this transaction is that those controls are absolutely built into the transaction.”

Health Canada and CBS have said that research shows plasma from paid donors is just as safe as plasma from unpaid donors.

Wednesday’s announcement drew mixed reaction from health groups. The Canadian Health Coalition, a non-profit that advocates for public health and receives union funding, said CBS has eroded public trust in the agency by carrying out discussions with for-profit companies in private.

“There has been no public debate allowed concerning the dangers of commercial collection of plasma on this massive scale," said Michèle Brill-Edwards, a physician and member of the coalition’s board.

BloodWatch, a group that advocates for voluntary blood donation, has called for the resignation of Mr. Sher and CBS’s board of directors.

Other patient groups have welcomed the news as a way to build a new, reliable source of donations.

“We have long advocated for an approach that includes working with the commercial sector to ensure Canadian patients have access to life-saving plasma-derived medicinal products when needed,” Jennifer van Gennip, executive director of the Network of Rare Blood Disorder Organizations, said in a statement. The group receives some of its funding from pharmaceutical companies.

This is an attempt to solve a serious problem given that, as the first article suggests, most of the plasma on the global market comes from the poor and often desperate in the US... except it just seems to be copying the American :capitalism: solution with minimal improvements?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

We picked on them too much for stigmatizing same sex relationships, they had to balance it out somehow!

I guess in this case I should complain to both my MP and MLA. :sigh:

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit
whew at least all the out of work realtors will have some way to keep up their Tesla payments

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Realtors should be allowed to sell all parts of their blood. And the entire quantity of it. And it shouldn't be optional.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Clinched it in one round... we're doomed

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 11, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ah, bollocks.

I’m worried he’ll actually win.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Not shocked, disappointed etc etc

Welcome to some dark dark years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EngineerJoe posted:

Clicnched it in one round... we're doomed

lmao. Holy gently caress the CPC really has gone around the bend

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

He’s not gonna win. Suburban Ontario won’t vote for him for being too extreme and Quebec won’t give him poo poo.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

He's gonna get a lot of racist votes that didn't vote for Erin

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Were people expecting Charest to do better than that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You guys, I'm starting to get the feeling the Conservative party rank and file isn't terribly loving bright...

It's quite something to see two respective Tory leaders win leadership contests and have Liz Truss come up the less repellant of the two.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hand Knit posted:

Were people expecting Charest to do better than that?

I doubt even Charest thought he would do better at this point.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aw man I missed "who should be on the money" chat again. Anyway here's a good tweet:

https://twitter.com/Slade/status/1568319564349317124

Honouring artists in general would be pretty cool. Double power move if they're women, but I'd love to see Gord Downie on the 20, or even Neil Young. Peart would be a clever choice, because it'd still please all the dumb fans who thought he was always a conservative and not just a kid who read books and smoked a shitload of weed.

I'm now remembering working a busy weekend door/coat check shift at the arcade bar. This young guy pays his cover and we go to hand him at $10 and some change back. He says something like "I don't want that new tenner [with Viola Desmond] on it, give me the real tenner. I gotta support our first Prime Minister." I shot a glance to my coworker (who is Indigenous) and handed the guy an old ten. As soon as he was out of earshot, both of us went "GROSS!"

I should check in on my Nonna and Zia, honestly. They're huge fans of the Queen (which is especially odd because they're hardcore Roman Catholics), I think they even have a framed letter from her in response to something.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Between the ginned up rage against Trudeau from the right and the general dislike of him from the general public, this can very well be a 'kick the bums out' election where the alternate party wins by default. Don't say it can't happen, our electorate doesn't pay attention.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sarah McLaughlin erasure.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Maneck posted:

Canadarm erasure.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Put Scott Thompson as the queen on the 20.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Between the ginned up rage against Trudeau from the right and the general dislike of him from the general public, this can very well be a 'kick the bums out' election where the alternate party wins by default. Don't say it can't happen, our electorate doesn't pay attention.

FPTP guarantees it happens at some point.

I am even more mad now that the Libs backed out of changing our voting system to something less hosed. They have literally doomed us all with their incompetence and inability to wield math equations for the greater good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, but we can get legal weed now though.

Actually, seriously, from a non-weed smoker, I'm kind of impressed how well all that went and I'm glad they did it.

Still should have done something about elections though.