Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Usually I'm runs deep by now, but it's been a weird month followed by an absolutely horrible month so I just finished my first run. But I did want to share something...

...and then Windows ate my Capture folder by moving it off my removable drive into the Temp folder :eng99: Lesson learned, I guess. This month, sheesh.

So here's a faithful, perfect recreation done by memory:

Pretend that I posted a video of a White Mage party destroying Prototype. It's simple, really, barehanded crits will eventually do enough damage and you have 4 whole party members to do them with (at 20-40 HP a time at level whatever-it-was-but-undoubtedly-too-high). That's just like 200 crits, easy! You have a Heal Staff and the ability to use the rare Elixir/Phoenix Down, along with the other World 1 white magic. Prototype's Missile, Flamethrower, and most importantly Blaster do technically use magic (7MP, 5MP, and 10MP) and since Prototype only has 1000MP those will eventually run out (and in doing so gives you extra opportunities to attack) so if you don't get crushed it's doable. You could even slot in expensive Fire Rings to heal off Flamethrower but honestly you'll want to use an Elven Mantle from Karnak (and Mini from Catapult) because Fight/Specialty ain't going anywhere. Neither is the Mustard Bomb which despite what you might be thinking (I'm not, you know how many times I've killed Omega?) is neither Fire nor Poison (it's non-elemental and like a "weak" Flare with sap). And people cringe at a 4 White Mage party!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

:toxx:
I'll do the 0 power chicken knife once again, $10 up to a Max of $150 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

Here we are! I'd never done zero running before and while it added some interesting tension in midgame dungeons, it makes the endgame super, super easy with how many levels you get.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

Usually I'm runs deep by now, but it's been a weird month followed by an absolutely horrible month so I just finished my first run. But I did want to share something...

...and then Windows ate my Capture folder by moving it off my removable drive into the Temp folder :eng99: Lesson learned, I guess. This month, sheesh.

So here's a faithful, perfect recreation done by memory:

Pretend that I posted a video of a White Mage party destroying Prototype. It's simple, really, barehanded crits will eventually do enough damage and you have 4 whole party members to do them with (at 20-40 HP a time at level whatever-it-was-but-undoubtedly-too-high). That's just like 200 crits, easy! You have a Heal Staff and the ability to use the rare Elixir/Phoenix Down, along with the other World 1 white magic. Prototype's Missile, Flamethrower, and most importantly Blaster do technically use magic (7MP, 5MP, and 10MP) and since Prototype only has 1000MP those will eventually run out (and in doing so gives you extra opportunities to attack) so if you don't get crushed it's doable. You could even slot in expensive Fire Rings to heal off Flamethrower but honestly you'll want to use an Elven Mantle from Karnak (and Mini from Catapult) because Fight/Specialty ain't going anywhere. Neither is the Mustard Bomb which despite what you might be thinking (I'm not, you know how many times I've killed Omega?) is neither Fire nor Poison (it's non-elemental and like a "weak" Flare with sap). And people cringe at a 4 White Mage party!

this rules btw

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
yeah my toxx was worth it just to inspire that fight and post

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh yeah, speaking of White Mage, Gil Turtle doesn't counter Curas (in the latest Steam release at least) so there's another easy optional fight for them!

And since anything good is worth running straight into the ground:

OC Original Character, Do Not Steal

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I made the Cactuar mod for NED for FFV PR PC. If you want it, I uploaded it to the FFVGoons discord since I haven't figured out where to host it yet.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MatchaZed posted:

I made the Cactuar mod for NED for FFV PR PC. If you want it, I uploaded it to the FFVGoons discord since I haven't figured out where to host it yet.

Not for nothing, but do you have a copy of the image you used for him? Thank you!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Here's a Mimic glitch I ran into. Bartz was a two-handed Knight who used the Magic Lamp. Krile mimicked it and it used the same summon. Later in the fight, Krile mimicked Curaga and stuff while Bartz attacked with the Ragnarok I think. A bit later the timing switched so Krile mimicked Bartz's attack, but instead of mimicking the attack it used Magic Lamp. On top of that, it didn't mimick the Magic Lamp summon, but instead the !Mimic caused the item to be used so the Summon count counted down just as if Krile had selected the item. Very odd!
https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1690940493251870721

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Nocheez posted:

Not for nothing, but do you have a copy of the image you used for him? Thank you!

For the flipped and rotated 22 degrees

Original

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I think I might pay a tattoo artist to put that on my pale body. Been thinking about it for about 20 years now. Thanks!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Phoenix Tower is such a lovely place to farm money if you've got !Mug. Nothing's particularly threatening and the drops/steals off everything are worth 2500-25000 gil each.

Sadly, I don't need to farm gil, so the 400k or so I got just from combat loot goes to waste.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That's 8 elixirs! You can never have too many.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There’s a funny symmetry to the idea of selling off everything from Phoenix Tower to buy elixirs.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
And, done. !Steal and !Spellblade are basically a free run to begin with, combining them a Mime and a Freelancer is just full autopilot other than being quick on the inputs for zerking Shinryu, stoning the Almagest part, and lamping the magic part.
I can't see a viable Omega, though, with no autohits, no stop spam, and no quickleak.

I didn't take Excalibur, Masamune, and Apollo Harp first/ignore the rest, but I should have. Even Apollo Harp was basically just for Leviathan and if I somehow didn't get a Dragon Spear out of my entirely !Mug-based autobattle cycle, but the Assassin Dagger only saw action because !Break on demand for NED was more important than anydamage the THF could've done. Regardless,

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Completed another run, finally dragging myself through it. Onion done like a Classic (i.e. all from the start), which isn't necessarily good because of potential early Bard or Summoner. Party ended up Knight, White Mage, Geomancer, and Ninja. Don't feel like posting the full text here, since it's sort of a wall despite my best efforts, so I'll just talk about what mattered.

"No more imitation." Yes, I killed Gogo again. I could've done it like before since I had White Mage again, so here I show a different way. I've done it this way before with Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Berserker. Short of it is, zombies can be hit but effectively act as dummy targets. With White Mage and Geomancer acting as such and Knight (highest HP) with Throw and Ninja with White Magic, I can shell up, use the lamp for Carbuncle, and weaken him with reflected Holy. I'm unsure if every hit is a Meteor on Pixel Remaster or 2013; it is on GBA. But bugged messages won't appear on SNES after the triplecast, making a straight-up fight more doable. It's just down to Meteor luck. Beat Gil Turtle without any problems too except, of course, getting Float.

Got my triple crowns. Omega fight was nuts, leveled to mid-40s and probably should've gone higher, full of status bugs (got an Aegis Shield steal first try!), and made me wish I actually wasn't lazy enough to record it. Took several dozen attempts to get a decent run going. I almost lost at the very end because Maelstrom wiped my two remaining White Magic users after Krile got Circled (at around 18000) and the Elixir didn't trigger in time. But I was two thrown Pinwheels away from winning (Ninja and White Mage were using Bolt Scrolls), and Faris Aegis-blocked the Atomic Ray that would've killed her (I kept it on half because I panicked, half because it could've blocked Circle). I went the cheap route for Shinryu after all that.

My playstyle tends towards Brave Blade runs anyway, and I had Knight, so did it again.

Got all the tablets as I usually do, just for more content. Rare game before X-wise, I got Jackanapes (Protect up, throw a Shuriken or the Ashura, then wait for Berserk fights), Prototype (needed about 35 scrolls, it only hit two death Blasters and one paralysis one), Skull Eater (Skullkin in the new translation for some reason, Geomancer), Exdeath's Soul (Sage's Staff + Brave Blade made short work of it), and Stingray (no threat, just needed to find it). Also Shield Dragon if triggering !Flee isn't counted, which it'd be silly if it wasn't because it's otherwise a job check before Tyrannosaur (need Poison spellblade, Chemist berserk, or !Control). I just forgot about Garula and King Behemoth.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 19, 2023

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally wrapped up my run. Meant to finish earlier, but getting the same class distribution as last time probably took a toll on my enthusiasm. Changed it up a bit by gunning for a faster completion time at a lower level. Omega and NED were a bit rough, but Shinryu's never difficult when you have a white mage.

It occurred to me near the end though, I don't think I've ever played FFV outside of the Fiesta. Should probably give that a whirl sometime; maybe over Christmas.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Run #2 - Volcano - Blue Mage / Geomancer / Dragoon / Chemist

Between various trips and work kicking my rear end, it took me almost two months to finish this run! And it was super easy! The hardest part was farming Dragon Fangs :v:

CourtlyHades296 posted:

I will be doing a :toxx: for full Bestiary completion. $1 per SNES/PS1/PR/GBA without Sealed Temple run, $3 per GBA with Sealed Temple run, with both having an extra $1 on top of that for doing it with Natural enabled, up to a maximum of $35.

Sealed Temple is dumb and bad, sorry.

ALSO! I have the following players down for my full power Brave Blade toxx: SirSystemError, CourtlyHades296, Ace Transmuter, Bregor, Red Metal, Nihilarian, CourtlyHades296 (again)

If I missed you, let me know.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Bregor posted:

ALSO! I have the following players down for my full power Brave Blade toxx: SirSystemError, CourtlyHades296, Ace Transmuter, Bregor, Red Metal, Nihilarian, CourtlyHades296 (again)

If I missed you, let me know.

I did two runs and did it both times, posted it just above. So count me down as (again).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

SirSystemError posted:

I did two runs and did it both times, posted it just above. So count me down as (again).

:doit: 8/30

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Run 1 down a bit ago, White Mage, Knight, White Mage, Mime. White Mage and Knight is a fantastic duo.

Here's one for the record books, kept a Berserked Two-Handed Rune Edge Knight around to score the actual damage for Omega:
https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1690933794780717056
Somehow I dodged every Circle and with essentially 3 White Mages with shields or whatever I could keep the healing up. Thankfully I also never ate it with a bad counter around the beams (I did make sure to stagger the Knight well but it was still very random). Whiff Whiff Whiff Whiff Whiff

https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1690932638348148737

Love this "No Effect" message on Neo ExDeath:
https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1690936375728807936

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game:

I forgot the screenshot but also got Skull Eater. And I did Prototype with White Mage fists of course.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

:toxx: Meticulous Monster Masher

Mustached Demon posted:

:toxx: $2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

girl dick energy posted:

:toxx: There Are Even Twelve Of Them

Bregor posted:

:toxx: You're Actually a Coward if you take the Brave Blade
Forgot the screenshot if that's OK. It was on my Mime and I used it before I got that Magic Lamp Two-Handed glitch (if that's what causes it). I actually didn't remember the :toxx: until the end and kept it unsullied for Omega because I'm an idiot. Otherwise I definitely would've grabbed the Chicken Knife. Apparently I didn't keep the video after I edited it for Twitter!

Something special coming later :)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Doom Goon posted:

Forgot the screenshot if that's OK.

It is! Impressive run. 9/30

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I currently owe $25, I think. I'll try to finish this weekend so I can knock it up to $30.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Third fiesta down, probably my last this year. Typhoon 750. Ended up with Blue Mage, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage. I was going to do it on 2013 with patches, but time (and mechanics) constraints made me move to GBA three hours in. I notably had the Tycoon sisters get halfway to Red Mage mastery before Ronka then whimsically mastered it entirely after Archeoavis. Mostly since it was a "now or later" thing and I wanted to do it while I could have two in at once. Super/final boss highlights and :toxx: roundup...

>Gil Turtle: I gave a Poison Eagle the chance to Float everyone on the way out of Drakenvale. It did so; Blinks and Blizzaras killed it. I should really be more patient and fight this after sub access more often.
>Gogo: Here's yet another way to kill a mime, SNES/GBA only: three characters with Reflect, one without, and cast on the entire party (the not-reflected has to be hit, so no Aegis Shield, but absorption/immunity is okay, at least resist if you can). For whatever reason, enemy counters don't trigger when you do this. More importantly, I also stole his Gold Hairpin after like fifty tries at the fight. At least it was worth it in the postgame.
>Omega: Quad reflect, wait for search, Thundaga. This is part of why I switched to GBA from 2013: for some dumb reason, search bouncing doesn't work there. As if this thing needed to be overdesigned even more.
>Shinryu: "You have Berserk, this should be easy." / "Yes but that's not enough, so I did it solo." Mini doubles evade, Genji Shield has 50% evasion. Berserk and spam Dark Spark. I hit the 1% before he did, then hit with L2 Old and L5 Death. Not even Shinryu is safe from Death By Math.
>Neo Exdeath: Lamped the back and rushed down the Grand Crosser. Ancient Sword on the Almagester and Flash (eventually) on the physical part.

>Grand Aevis: Practically dead from doublecasted spells before Math could catch up with it. I killed it math anyway just because the Dark Spark landed (only 20% magic evade).
>Omega Mk-2: Same fight but longer (more chances to get screwed by Maelstrom). Actually probably intended strats to some extent.
>Archeodemon: Stripped of his MP in short order with an Ether and Magic Hammer (0% magic evade) and killed with Flares and the Sage's Staff.
>Guardian: Wiped the launchers with dualcast after Mighty Guarding to start. Once I destroyed the cannon, I hit the Guardian with Dark Spark (10% magic evade!), Lv2 Old, and Lv5 Death. DEATH BY MATH.
>Neo Shinryu: I got a Bone Mail drop from a Hades which was handy for status bug nonsense. Grinded to 67 to have enough HP. Messed up the timing only once. Trolled me relentlessly, including two White Holes on Krile (the only one vulnerable) and Lenna getting aged (I actually had to check with Libra, she was minied for the second phase). Have a video but need to upload it; missed capping the death animation.
>Enuo: Really wasn't much to this. Doublecast Thundaga and Holy for damage, Curaga and White Wind for healing, Mighty Guard and Blink for defense. Status bug Angel Rings and Bone Mail. 35:59 final time with 100% bestiary completion.

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

>Wild Garula: Lv9 Goblin Punch. Or just rushing it with Aero.
>Jackanapes: Lv5 Death. Just needed to desync EXP to learn it.
>Skull Eater: Blew up in its face. Hey, actual use of Self-Destruct!
>Prototype: Vampire deals fixed damage through its magic defense. Got the two Blue Magic spells from it in the process.
>Shield Dragon: Again, this is just a job check to outright kill before Tyrannosaur: Beastmaster, Mystic Knight, or Chemist. I have none of them. But it was easy to make it Flee if that counts; Flamethrower goes through Reflect.
>Exdeath's Soul: Sage's Staff and boosted magic
>Stingray: Not a problem to hunt and beat, just delayed since I forgot to take Lenna's Reflect Ring off from the Gogo fight so I had to use Dispel a couple times. Missed the death animation but yeah, it wasn't winning.
>K.Behemoth: They counter magic with Meteor. They also have no status immunities except Mini and are passive. Could sleep them. Death works nicely since they can't counter if they're dead. Doom was also an option, if I cast Mighty Guard to eat the Meteor. Hey, actual use for it. I had to reload twice to get this, once because I forgot, and again because the emulator crashed.

CourtlyHades296 posted:

I will be doing a :toxx: for full Bestiary completion. $1 per SNES/PS1/PR/GBA without Sealed Temple run, $3 per GBA with Sealed Temple run, with both having an extra $1 on top of that for doing it with Natural enabled, up to a maximum of $35.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also, :toxx:

Meticulous Monster Masher

I will donate $5, up to a maximum of $50, for each person who posts a screenshot of their fully completed bestiary.

Sealed Temple? Challenge accepted and completed. Counts for two!

girl dick energy posted:

There Are Even Twelve Of Them
$2 for every run that gets all the tablets and, thus, all the Legendary Weapons. Screenshot of your inventory is fine for verification. Max number of runs I'll be accepting TBD, but I'm thinking $24. (Twelve of them!)

Cashing in all the tablets is a requirement to enter the Sealed Temple, but here's the inventory screen anyway.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'll do the 0 power chicken knife once again, $10 up to a Max of $150 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

Done. And how about attacking Enuo with a 0 power Chicken Knife on top of that? If you want to see it in action, it's at 9:12 in the video (trying to land the hit starts at 8:00). Also man, wish I had a better way to record besides emulator native because it turns out bad when uploaded.

Didn't do the Blue Mage one, probably could've since they were just using Mighty Guard, White Wind, and sometimes Aeroga and Mind Blast by the end along with L2, L3, and L5 spells. Wouldn't have been nearly as fun, though.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 24, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SirSystemError posted:

Done. And how about attacking Enuo with a 0 power Chicken Knife on top of that? If you want to see it in action, it's at 9:12 in the video (trying to land the hit starts at 8:00). Also man, wish I had a better way to record besides emulator native because it turns out bad when uploaded.

I'll count both :toot:

I've got lots of leftover toxx money and there's a week left in fiesta.

:toxx: $5 per completed run between now and the end of fiesta. Max is whatever I have left on 0CK and speedrun toxxes (those are still available too though)

Completions: Pacra, DalaranJ, Internet Savant, SirSystemError x2, SereneDragon x2, Pacra, Various Meat Products, blakelmenakle, TheWonderTrickster, Cattail Prophet, MatchaZed, Doom Goon, Can of Worms, Funktastic, Mandoric, Alpha3KV, Grizzled Patriarch

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 1, 2023

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'll count both :toot:

I've got lots of leftover toxx money and there's a week left in fiesta.

:toxx: $5 per completed run between now and the end of fiesta. Max is whatever I have left on 0CK and speedrun toxxes (those are still available too though)

I'll bite! Timestamp of this one is 8/24 11:02:55 AM EST.

This is my 7th run this year, but the first one I've experimented with buffing myself to the skies with Chemist during tree phase.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 24, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

Jose Valasquez posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

:toxx: gently caress You, Yoshi-P, I'm Not Learning That! :toxx:

I like Blue Mage in FFV. I hate Blue Mage in FFXIV. Why? They both share an affection for useless dogshit spells with no purpose. Of the 104 blue magic spells in FFXIV, like thirty of them are near-identical Standard Cast Time, Standard Potency spells that basically all function interchangeably but you just ~have~ to go collect them all because one of your best cooldowns requires some loving Rareware-level "go collect all the tchotchkes" bullshit! gently caress that! It's dumb as poo poo!

So to protest this indignity, I'm putting similar restrictions on FFV because gently caress you, I can. You get a 24-spell palette to slot spells in as a Blue Mage in FFXIV, and a DPS-minded Blue Mage ends up with three open slots, but I'm gonna be nice and give you the full 24 because here's the toxx:

As a Blue Mage haver, complete your Fiesta run with a similar ratio of spells - that is, because 24 out of 104 is 23% of the spells, you can learn no more than 7 blue magic spells in FFV.

I know what seven I'd get, but I'm curious what you'll end up with. I can't give you a morbol mount, but I'll donate $2 to the charity for the first ten people who have the same "gently caress collectathons, actually" mindset I do.

DalaranJ posted:

:toxx: I'm adding $5 to a maximum of $50 for this toxx, so everyone who completes it earns $7 of donations, one for every blue spell they're allowed.

Run description forthcoming this weekend.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Unless you have a white mage i think white wind is too good a value to pass up. Mighty guard is just too much value regardless.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

It was completely useless in my extremely specific case.

e:

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 25, 2023

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!
Just wrapped up my third run of the fiesta.
Thief, chemist, beast master, hunter.

Shinryuu and NED? Easy peasy.
Omega - mega PITA. I couldn't get in a good rhythm or go fast enough with running shoes to stop getting wiped by surge beams and also do any damage. I got wiped by surge beams repeatedly. Mostly because I didn't have a solid all party heal option. X-potions just aren't fast enough.

Oh well. I'll take the double crown.

I think I may do one more 4 job fiesta run, but not random. I want to play a solid, broken, romp through the game and get a triple crown party (without the chemist). I've played too many chemist runs recently.
Bard, time mage, mystic knight, white mage?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Internet Savant posted:

Omega - mega PITA. I couldn't get in a good rhythm or go fast enough with running shoes to stop getting wiped by surge beams and also do any damage. I got wiped by surge beams repeatedly. Mostly because I didn't have a solid all party heal option. X-potions just aren't fast enough.

Oh well. I'll take the double crown.

This is why you just ignore the other three and load all your buffs onto one person who sucks Omega's vital fluids out through his face with a straw.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Well, I had an idea, but to keep up my naming scheme meme, it meant run 4. Classic Natural with Duplicates. RDM/WHM/THF/BLM. Four White Mages in four runs? That'll never work. I threw some money at the charity and job faired it to Monk just for that extra kick, pun completely intended. I was also trying the speedrun :toxx: Part for the thrill, part to make this run snappy, and part to prove mostly to myself that I'm more than completionism. I did it on the Japanese version for extra fun.

Played through as I normally do at first. I was level 10 when I started spamming !Flee. Most bosses after Karnak were dealt with through rod breaking. Except Crayclaw, it's so easy it's not worth bothering. Sandworm was an ordeal and took resets/Cura spam. I decided to grind on Black Flames, had to break rods on them. Luckily they pay out more than a rod costs. I got to level 20 in the process. The only other hard fight in W1 was Archaeoavis. Just being unafraid to use Elixir resources made the difference (in the escape, I just stole and ran, a lot). Kept enough in the bank for spells later. 3:44 gametime before jumping in the gate to the next world.

The only fight I was worried about before Moore was Gilgamesh 3, and it wasn't too bad since Enkidu played nice. Of course I got four Reflect Rings, but I took it further and got four Flame Rings by stealing from the Red Dragon and fleeing. Lots of resets were incurred between both. Couldn't beat Yellows for a shot at Corals, at least not reliably enough for my taste. The Flames paid off against the Seal Guardians, just weakened the fire crystal and I didn't have to worry from there. I grinded to 26 in Ghido's Cave and got three Light Staff drops. I broke them on Exdeath to get to the second phase as fast as possible. 5:58 gametime after beating him.

Had to think about my approach to W3. 4 hours to work with to get sub-10. How hard in on skipping did I want to go, and did I want to grind at all? If I did, I'd certainly be using the trench. Ultimately I decided to go right in after prep at Mirage and with the lamp, while keeping a backup save in case this turned out to be too much.

Calofisteri was easy as always, same for Apanda. Apocalypse played nice and got Bio'd down. Catastrophe of all things was the hardest of the gauntlet since any Earthshaker was a wipe. I went in toaded to Halicarn and beat them before Holy, and Twin Tania got Breaked during the Giga Flare charge (took two tries).

Jose Valasquez posted:

In addition, since FJF 2021 inspired me to take up speedrunning the game, I'm adding a new speedrun :toxx:

Finish the game in under 10 hours (in game time) and get $10. Each additional hour shaved off is another $10. A screenshot of the menu in the final room of the void within ~5 minutes of the hour marker (to account for the exdeath battle) will suffice as proof. GBA and PR both show the room you're in, SNES doesn't so it'll be on the honor system.

7:00 flat before the final fight. I didn't bother with Necrophobia, going straight to Exdeath with status bug Bone Mail on Lenna. Her and Dedede's job were to throw items. I had 21 Elixirs. I had more enough offense between Chicken Knife (only 125 power...) and boosted -ga spells. Hardest part was getting by phase 1; one time I was even Meteored. Once I made it to NED, it was first try.

Lamp to kill the back part and Break to kill the Almagester. With Protect up, I was relatively safe from the physical part and could reapply it as needed. So it was just down to the roulette wheel. First Grand Cross did Dead, Petrify, nothing, and HP leak. Yikes! Second did Berserk, nothing, Dead, Silence. Also horrible. I had to nuke Dedede with Krile once she was revived - he manged to do this while Berserked.. Third was poison (rendered moot when Dedede died immediately), nothing, nothing, Doom. Fourth was Berserk, Mini, nothing?, mini. Had to nuke him again and use my one Mallet on Faris. But with the physical part having been weakened first and then the Grand Cross part, they were both at critical health.

An AoE spell and one final Chicken Mug finished it, right before that Doom expired.

Jose Valasquez posted:

So that's that. Another run done. With any luck, I'll have one more that is an even worse idea than this one was, and certainly won't be as much fun. Seriously, this was a blast. Had to think about how to approach things as quick and efficient as possible. Thanks for the idea.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 26, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nice! Noted both

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm in awe of these runs. I really struggled at the end game, but y'all are really running at the end boss with like 1000hp and I can't even imagine.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I'm in awe of these runs. I really struggled at the end game, but y'all are really running at the end boss with like 1000hp and I can't even imagine.

You can really strangle NED's damage.
Back is instakilled by the third cast of the Magic Lamp from a refresh, and bottom takes a few rounds to charge up Almagest and in the meantime is vulnerable to Break at a rate of (8 + Lv) * 0.2, or roughly for that comp (1 - 0.06)^15 = 60% that you'll get it before it fires.
That leaves the physical part, which you will always out-action-economy even if it kills a character every turn--one to Phoenix Down, two left to keep blasting--but from a theoretical high of 2821 damage against a 0-Defense target is actually doing more like 2000, halved from back row and then halved again from Protect for 500.
And the status part, which is pure RNG--it can fire Dead, Stone, Zombie, Berserk and end a run but it can also fire Darkness on the BLM/Mini on the MNK that's just there as an item-tosser/Silence on the THF/Poison on the RDM.

When doing it this way, you do have to count and spread your damage to avoid the enrage with one part left--at more "normal" levels you might decide you can keep up with a -ga spell a round and prefer to save the third lamp cast for right when back is left alone.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 26, 2023

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Alright, this got me off my rear end and I finished Run 3. I normally do 7 or 8 runs a year but this was just a year with lots of other games to play and other adult life stuff for me to do (including getting my US citizenship two days ago lol)

And because I am absolutely a coward too

Bregor posted:

You're Actually a Coward if you take the Brave Blade

This run was pretty straightforward. White and Knight together can power through just about anything. Bard makes everything pretty much trivial after W3 especially and Ranger is just overkill. But I always miss runs without any shenanigans and this had none. Just big smacks and lots of healing.

I'm on the fence on signing up for another run. I've literally been on this one for 2 months. But maybe I can bash another one out before time is up.... I gotta think about it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Serene Dragon posted:

including getting my US citizenship two days ago

Welcome to the US! Despite what the loudest parts of us may say, we are a nation of immigrants and we're happy to have you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nocheez posted:

The thing about FF5 is that it's simultaneously one of the tougher FF games and one of the easiest ones entirely based on how much knowledge you have of its weird esoteric foibles. Bosses are punishing and if you don't have the right answers for them they'll hand you your rear end on a silver platter, but so many of them have their One Weird Trick, Void Trees Hate It. If you try to brute force the game it will brute force right back, but a lot of things can be shut down or otherwise outright trivialized with the right preparation too.

In NED's case, the spoilered reply covers most of it, but it's also worth noting that the first phase (treedeath, as we know him) is astoundingly slow and relatively unthreatening until the last 25% or so of its HP, so that phase is absolutely ideal for doing any sort of long, elaborate setup (bard songs, chemist mixes, having to single-target set up protect/shell/blink with a white mage) which all makes the second half MUCH more tolerable.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Nice! And congrats on your citizenship! 10/30

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

How I only learned seven spells over my summer vacation.
So, the first thing you have to do, and this is important, is sign up for a Typhoon run so you don't get Blue until last.
Anyway, my team was:
White Mage
Knight
Mystic Knight
Blue Mage

So, let's begin.
W1
First I leveled everyone up to the top edge of 20, for reasons that are probably obvious.
Flameguns/Rockets
Wow, I'm glad I didn't have blue mage for this forcing me to savescum dodging their attacks.

Sol Cannon
Oh, yeah, the launchers are not part of the boss which leveled up Faris leaving me with only one character that was going to be able to get me L5 Death, so that was close.

Clapperclaw
I'm not glad I didn't have Blue for this the boss that becomes increasingly resistant to any of my Mystic abilities, while I don't have access to any form of blind. I just smashed them with basic attacks.

Then the moment I get Blue Mage, Ronka crashes, so I no longer have access to White Wind or Aera.

I ether a tombstone for Flash. Then I farm L5 Death from a page 64.
Flash is basically useful the entire game. I used it on NED.
L5 Death, if you don't abuse L5 Death are you really even playing Blue Mage? In any case, I didn't want to slog through a clean twintania fight (not realizing at this point that I would have Holy).
Two Spells known: Flash, L5 Death

Puroburous
Didn't have any area attacks so I relied on my single rod breaker and tanked a couple of explosions with !White
Titan
Float from gaelicats gg
ChimBrain
Chose Galuf as blue mage for this fight to avoid learning the especially worthless Aqua Rake.

W2
Gilg1
I had Knight with !White so this isn't any challenge.
Gilg2
I really had nothing for this but tanking.
Tyranno
I just used a Phoenix Down. I think I was tired when I did this fight and couldn't be arsed to do it in a more interesting way.
Abductor
Doesn't have a lot of HP. I could have silenced him, but I just rushed him down.
Dragon Grass
This fight was actually proving to be annoying, so I settled for breaking 7 fire rods.
Gilg3
I used Flash, and silence to reduce the amount of blue spells I had to deal with from Enkidu.
Atomos
Sleep Sword naturally.

Picked up Aeroga from metamorph because I wanted to have a solid form of damage before starting the crystals fight. (Even though you can get it in that fight.)
Three Spells known: Flash, L5 Death, Areoga
Crystals
This was the one I was concerned about but a judicious application of shell and burning one down at a time worked fine. Did you know that the crystals are vulnerable to Flash?

Learned L2 Old from Magic Dragon in meat fort exclusively in order to chump MeatDeath later on.
I was convinced to get White Wind from hellraiser as well, but didn't use it, because the people with Blue equipped also had White equipped and we already had curaga, which costs exactly the same.
Five Spells known: Flash, L5 Death, Areoga, White Wind, L2 Old

Gilg4
I double checked some things about Goblin Punch, and then just didn't fight him, because Excalipoor Goblin Punch is bad actually.
MeatDeath
I used 'count to 8' skip. Which is L2 Old, followed by waiting, followed by L5 Death. I use it whenever I have the opportunity, because it's hilarious.

W3
I had left the beginner chest closed in case I needed Goblin Punch but after verifying somethings about what weapons I had and boss levels I ended up not taking it.
Antlion
I blinded it but it didn't really matter since I had White anyway.
Gargoyles
Aeroga was plenty for this fight.
Mellusion
Ate her HP up with Flame Swords + Rod breaks before she could shift. Don't forget that you can get back to Karnak for rods before going to the pyramid.

Went and Picked up Mighty Guard because my white mage had 700 HP, it speeds applying buffs a lot plus I don't have to go back and find a poison eagle for Catastroph
Six Spells known: Flash, L5 Death, Aeroga, White Wind, L2 Old, Mighty Guard
Running shoes wipe the floor with the action economy of this game, so even though the late bosses are really strong they're completely outpaced.

Stalker
I've landed some cleaner Sleep Sword wins against this guy, but I did manage to avoid getting Mind Blasted (even though I had left an open slot for it)
Minotaur
Excalibur Knight with some Mirage vest cheese
Rug Doctor
Silence Swords, and some areoga

Void
Calofisteri
It turns out Holy just completely outclasses boosted Aeroga and it's cheaper. Most of these void fights go: Mighty Guard, Knight chicken knife attacks, Mystic Flare Sword attacks, White and Blue Holy.
Apanda
I only used one fire sword here, but holy with two casters made quick work of them.
AzulMagia
Shell blocked almost all of his attempts to cast, so I avoided learning anything here.
Catastroph
Mighty Guard + Reflect = Catastroph never does anything
Halicarnassus
Not much to say about this except I'm glad she only uses the global toad spell once, I forgot to buy more maiden's kisses since I had esuna. And I'm really glad that's not blue magic.
Twintania
!White tanked to the second form and L5 Death
I learned Mind Blast here, because I had the slot spare and didn't care to savescum.
Seven Spells known: Flash, L5 Death, White Wind, Aeroga, L2 Old, Mighty Guard, Mind Blast
NED
My setup was,
Knight (chicken knife) !White
Blue !White
White !Blue
Mystic !White
(!White really is that good.)
So, mighty guard, flare sword. Then attack and holy on TreeDeath.
Switch to Break Sword to eliminate Al-Majesty/Form 3. Then back to flare sword.
Then focus fire Grand Coif/Form 2. I ate a total of 3 grand crosses, fortunately I had a couple holy waters for the only status Esuna couldn't deal with.
Level 3 spells were able to down my white mage even through shell, but fortunately we had so much speed advantage that recovery was no problem. I still had 3 other people with !White on.
Here I realized things were taking so long, that I might as well Flash flexdeath's attacks into uselessness.
Evened the damage out for the final two forms and ended things with the first several shots of the genie's lamp.
NEDs HP is sort of a lot to cut through when your best attack is Holy, but I made it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Jose Valasquez posted:

Another one for you (GLD/THF/FREE/SAM) with 0 chicken knife this time. I think i might have one or two more in me before the end...

Mustached Demon posted:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

check!

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

unfortunately, prototype and shield dragon were no-gos for my party combos, but:

Garula:

Jackanapes:

Skull Eater:

Exdeath's Soul:

I did Stingray twice but won't count it because I wasn't fast enough to get a screenshot, heh

King Behemoth:

Jackanapes was by far the hardest of these. Oh, I didn't ask if you had to do -all- of them to qualify, if so, back to the drawing board!