Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’m just dipping my toes into woodworking now that some of the rough remodelling is happening at the house. First post here and have a lot of catching up in the thread to do now.

I mainly come from an automotive background, so I’m just slowly getting my garage turned around into a more appropriate wood shop.

I’ve messed around with my old crappy Craftsman 10” mitre saw for a decade before finally getting something more serious this year with that Bosch 12” and stand. I was also in need of some routing work to be done, so picked up that SawStop table, JessEm lift, Woodpeckers fence, and Porter Cable production router.

I picked up some store brand new chisels to get the hang of cleaning up detail cuts and gave them a little home on the wall too. I’ve had the same circular saw for about a decade and it gets me by. Nothing particularly fancy there.

I need to figure out a decent under-mount bench vise setup. I’d love that twin turbo one, but hard to justify it with my level of usage. I wouldn’t mind loading it on some rails that it could slide on under my bench to make it a little more useful for different projects.

Something to figure out among the 200 different Woodpeckers products I wish I could afford and order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Now I just make mediocre wood things for the work crews. This is to support a piece of machinery with 100lb rated drawers on sliders. The top is recessed so the machine can’t be pushed off by accident.

The old counter to the left there was what we were using

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 19, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Very cool old desk showed up in my shop this morning:

The desk surface slides out too, and the leather part raises up at an angle.

I think it was probably a cabinetmaker's own desk judging from the inlays and high quality of materials, possibly as a showpiece in his workshop. A local antiques guy thinks it is English, and he's probably right. Drawer sides and bottoms are all quartered oak which is very English, but the pigeonhole drawer fronts look like curly maple which is a little more American. The flush fit, campaign style hardware on the interior bottom drawers is very English however, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that on an American piece.

Carpentry notes on the left of the desk, Freemason notes on the right :D

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Yo I finally got around to checking out the modeling recommendations and this is the one I liked best to just sanity check my simple project, thanks bigly

I’ve never really had a chance to do much 3d or CAD work but feel like I’d love it. Thanks for this for me to look into.

Picked up a $60 table saw to get some stuff done I’ve been fighting with. It’s a no frills direct-motor drive, but I can’t argue the price or usability. Fence, extending tables, etc. I sold my similar drive but ancient Delta for $40 a couple years ago with nothing attached, so I’ll call this a solid upgrade.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I wish my high school had shop class twenty years ago so I wasn’t learning basic wood working in my late 30s.

Friend cut me a deal on a pair of Stanley planes and sent me to Matt Estlea’s YouTube to sharpen and set them up.

Also picked up a cheap 3.25” wide electric for cleaning up rough cut pieces. I can definitely see why the 12” models are popular after making a few passes at wider boards with my small electric.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

keep it down up there! posted:

Another common DIY version is using scaffolding legs/leveling jacks.

Okay, you convinced me. Carved out a pocket for the nut in a chunk of 2x10 and covered in 3/4 ply.

Took apart the bench I made when I was like 20 for automotive crap. Made a 2x10 leg brace to better support the table that also will be the backing of the leg vise. I buried a flange support between the 2x10 layers to give the screw some support after the nut.

I glued up a bunch of scrap plywood to make a hand wheel around the foot of the jack but it’ll still be quite a bit bigger than the BusyBee 4.5” hand wheels (mine would be like 9” diameter finished). The Tommy bar thing seems simpler but handwheel seems nicer to actually use. Undecided there but the handle bit is easily changed since it’s just bolted together for now.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I usually take mine out after each type of job, but looking at the shop table I got the 45* sticking out of the table router and a hog-out bit sitting in the plunge on the bench- so I’m guilty too.

I just give them a light tap each way with a small rubber faced hammer and then they wiggle out with out any unwanted pressure or cutting myself.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Some apartment woodworking progress: I dry fit my plant shelf frame together (went w cherry) and it's looking great. I used dowels for the joinery

This turned out nice. I’ve only messed with lap joints and basic things, so any joinery impresses me.

I also just started a cherry wood project and it makes the shop smell fantastic when I take the mask off. I’ve never intentionally smelled a scraps bucket in my life, but here we are. Picked up a 12” planer because I’m not skilled by hand and need results. Making some laminated hardwood bits for the bench vise now that I’ve got things worked out mostly in cheap construction lumber.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I just bought some 100+ year old reclaimed Chestnut from a farmer for my work bench project. I can’t help but feel I’m wasting a cool piece of history, but damned if it wasn’t cheaper than buying anything at Da’ Depot and much thicker.

Also picked up a cast iron bench top planer for all the smaller stuff I’ll be getting into. Nothing particularly fancy but should get the job done.

Also grabbed a 12.5” planer because I wasn’t mucking around with the 3 1/8 one over and over again.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just a few parts of my wood vise. I’m saving two planks for something cool in the future. Ontop of some included red oak.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The other boards have some knotty and cracked spots (that picture was the best one), so I’m going to cut that section out and then break that down into a couple pieces and save every inch of the rest.

I think the guy’s wife priced it as a lot instead of per board. I was looking at that oak as a bench apron piece that I could rip and then re-read the advert and couldn’t pass up the deal.

Once I got home and did some reading, I felt bad for what I have in my possession at my current skill level. I definitely won’t be using it lightly given the history lesson I gave myself.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I took some rough cut 4/4 cherry boards from a different farmer in the area and messed around with the machines. Laminated the cherry together and then to a 1.5” thick pine backing that will be inside of the chop.I was just going to use a few tiny pieces of the chestnut around the screw hole as a trim and it has a cool story. I guess my wording was kinda vague with what I was using it for.

Anyways I still have to put some cherry sides on this, round the edges off, and then cut it down to length. Route out the inside of the pine a bit for the criss-cross setup I made and finally get this setup together. I’ve just been slowly pissing around for weeks on a half day project.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

personally I would just get some~$3-$5lbf oak and save the literally irreplaceable semi-extinct lumber for, well, at least a rich mark who thinks it's magical or something, but you do you

I thought about this a lot last night and this morning. I think I’m going to save them and have someone a little more professional make them into a custom bar-height kitchen top next year. Probably the best usage of them. I got three boards: one at 2”x 7.5”, and two at 1.5” x 7.25”. All ten footers - I paid $25 each for them which have come to find out was highway robbery. So I should at least save them for something super special that we’ll have forever (lived here 15years and no plans of packing up).

I went and got some more cherry today to finish up the bench vise and face pieces. I don’t feel so bad about learning on this stuff and it smells just plain fantastic.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm interested to see how this does. Sometimes face glueing different species can cause interesting cupping/warping from the two species expanding/contracting with changes in moisture content at different rates. Did you laminate up the pine out of strips like you did the cherry? That would definitely help if you did.

Yeah. I trimmed down some 2” rough cut pine, cut a strip out of the middle and then glued the two sections backwards of the original grain directions to each other. Then planed it down again. I was going to basically encase it in cherry and have a cherry bench apron to press against… or oak? I got both and this is kind of just an experiment. I planned to run some dowels through it to join it all that way too. I’ll piss around for a year or two and then build a heavy duty bench on the other side of my router table.

Just because I could do it now doesn’t mean I should because so much learning to do.

Edit: I think this is the random message board idea I was just playing with given the supplies I had on hand.
Well FWIW veneered furniture of old often had pine or another similar softwood as a core. More recently, blockboard and similar board materials do the same thing. So there's plenty of precedent both in terms of quality furniture and material aimed at a more utilitarian level. Now that said, you want to pick the pieces of wood for the cores with care so there's minimum chance of them moving/distorting (e.g. avoid boxed heart). Given the nature of wood supplies these days one way around being so picky is to laminate them up yourself, and the laminated pieces are v. likely to be far more stable.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 12, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

They're discussing veneer, which is a thin skin- so a totally different process from what you're doing. Like Kaiser, I'm interested in what happens. :munch:

That makes three of us. I only post here because I don’t know what the poo poo I’m doing when it comes to things beyond basic rough construction and appreciate any guidance.

I’ve never laminated anything, so that’s why I pissed around with the cherry first.. but then had to find a use for what I’d made.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The potential issue is that you haven't veneered both sides of the core, so it may be unstable. If you glued another laminated block of cherry to the other side of the pine your would have a an ideal construction. You've potentially made the wood version of a bimetallic strip. Pine is pretty stable if it's good and dry and so is cherry, so it may well be fine!

The moving chop part will be encased in cherry, but I had planned to glue some boards to the front of my bench to add a hardwood apron and leg covers.

I added… a few 3” long 3/8 glued in hardwood dowels. Hopefully that keeps them happily married together. Just need to run the electric hand planer down the edge tomorrow to level it to the top of the table, flush cut a bunch of dowels, and sand things down.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Incredible. You should be proud of yourself this rules so much

Absolutely this. I’m blundering around just wanting to fix up my automotive-use workbench so I can work a little more efficiently.

I got back out there and cut a butt load of dowels off, hand planed them down, and started bringing down the board to the table height. I put about 65 glued 3/8” dowels in yesterday - between the legs, apron, and replacing various screws that would be in the way. I need to get my No4 plane sharpened because using this long No5 for hitting those dowels on the side of the bench was definitely a free work out.

Edit: \/\/ absolutely. I need some new tools, but have to learn how to even use the basics. I’d love a router plane and a shoulder plane in the pile too. :getin:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 15, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I took my shop vac, taped to my orbital sander, and had a go at cleaning 15 years of :350: off the maple top plywood. Clogged up a lot of pads. The No4 planer worked so much better after I took a minute to freshen the blade for a first time. I didn’t even get fancy - just a quick run over the stone. Apron is now level with the table top.

I’ve also been replacing some of the original screws with dowels as I go and tying stuff together with them to take any flex out of my original build.

I’ve got to clean up the rest of my rough cherry for the moving block and put a face on the bench side too.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 16, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I cleared a big metal shop table out of my garage that just wasn’t working for what I need. Put the Subaru outside since it’s just a beater car. Last
problem to sort out is that I have an extremely heavy electric motor powered kayak that is also a pain in my rear end to store for half the year.

I was thinking of tossing together a 10’ long outfeed table on locking casters that would incorporate the table saw at one end. Have 8’ out outfeed space and put the table saw outfeed level to the surface.

Like a big version of this with with thin plywood walls to keep dust from the kayak area. Put some ABS pipe sliders on the bottom shelf and just shove the kayak in there when not using it.

Any suggestions on features from other tables that I should incorporate into this basic design?

I want to leave a clamping edge for general work when needed. Toss the planer on top when needed. Make some basic plywood shelves for misc stuff since the middle under-section will be enclosed for the kayak.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I have a very similar setup in my shop that I've had for years now.

The overhanging tabletop is essential for clamping like you said, the side vice is super handy but does get in the way sometimes, and the dust collection isn't essential but is important in my fully enclosed space. The pile of junk is optional.

At 10ft long are you even going to bother with casters? That seems pretty ungainly.

It’s more so I can wheel it out of the way when I need to get a car back into the shop. I’ll have room to push it to the back of the shop and still fit in a car for work if I need to. I’m working in a 20x24 shop with one permanent Miata resident.

I don’t plan on moving it unless I have to do something terrible in winter.

Edit: I measured and I’ll have 9’ of room behind me with a 10’ table before anything hits the mitre saw spot. I’m stuck tripping over a kayak if I don’t do this is kind of the alternative though.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 27, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

How heavy is this heavy kayak (with motor) can you rig up something to keep it overhead?

The garage door takes up the convenient space upfront so I’d have to get it past the car and everything else. I figured this way, open the garage door and jam it under the outfeed table and have zero mucking about with hanging it overhead. Add some ballast to the table.

With the motor attached, probably 150lbs or more. It’s more like a small boat.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Really helpful and insightful bits

Thanks a ton. These are the kind of things I need to think about over winter break while I clean up the rest of the shop. Hell, I haven’t even finished the project that generated the thread title but planing boards was such a mess with my previous setup.

The better table saw comment is totally inline with the plan. The $60 Craftsman special can get some stuff cut okay-ish once I added the feather board to it. I’ve definitely been looking for something to get after Christmas and I mainly see three options;

- Bosch, DeWalt and other brand general 10” construction table saws. Some belt driven, avoiding direct drive again.
- older cast iron top floor models that lack some of the nice fence solutions. Some cabinet models don’t do a 45* bevel cut and that might be limiting. Others are generic newer King models from Busy Bee
- absolute poo poo piles like my saw

Things are still a nightmare mess from taking out the steel table. I just threw everything on the floor and dragged it out. The table saw is sitting roughly where I’d keep it - gives me 9ft behind it until the mitre saw stand. It would leave me with about a 9’ x 8’ open floor space for whatever the hell.

Built a non-fancy little stand for the sheet metal brake. Been meaning to make one for a couple years and have lugged that thing around the shop too many times.

Once I get the floor cleaned up I can setup the planer again and finish off my leg vise build.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 29, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

”Advert” posted:

Victor Shaver built this bench about 100 years ago as a cabinetry student. It incorporates hand cut dovetails, mortise and tendon joints, pegs, tongue and,groove and lathe turned vice handles. I bought it from him nearly 50 years ago. Both ( steel screw) vices work well.

Just a cool piece of history on marketplace for well above anything I’d spend on a work table ($3.5k)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Just Winging It posted:

I love me some good tusked tenons but 3500$ is upscale man-cave statement piece money, not workbench that actually get used as such money.

100% this but the back story was kinda random and cool.

For only $2500 there’s this option too;

Or for $1200 you can get the beat to gently caress top off an old bench

These were just accidental things when looking for rough cut wood sellers in the area. I didn’t realize putting old work benches into your house was even a thing because that’s a little above my utilitarian brain.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
To the seller’s credit, he did describe it as “massive woodworking vise” and did not disappoint.

24” square for reference. 10” wide jaws.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’m not sure I needed it, but I couldn’t pass on a $50 oak beam. 4” x 7” x 10’ :haw:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That frame is classy for as simple as the design is …takes notes

Calidus posted:

Going to need a bigger lathe.

I don’t foresee myself ever getting into the spinny bits but who knows.

I cut a chunk out of my bench to get that old vise installed. Buried some carriage bolts under an oak insert for hammering on poo poo. Slipped a chunk of oak on the underside of the table as well.

I just need to plane it down to flush and I’ll be in business. I can clamp a piece of paper tight as hell with it so I guess things are aligned and flat enough.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Does Festool have a patent on the concept of a handheld slot mortiser or something? It's honestly surprising that there aren't really any cheaper alternatives.

Like this?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClURn6kPZ_r/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

Looks like JessEm is entering the game for $249usd

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I will make sure I plane down my test pieces a little closer to finished heights next time. Bit more to go.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It was more about my project planning since I have a powered option for doing it and I just didn’t bother to think about that before chopping it to length and now I’d have some snipe to deal with if I ran through just the small cuts. I could stick them on a sled and add a sacrificial front piece but I also forgot how dull the hand plane was.

Embarrassingly, that was way harder than it should be as I haven’t done a proper sharpen to the hand planes since I got them. I keep meaning to pickup a kit but at this point I should just hand them to a local person to get them to a good starting point and maintain from there.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That saw setup is such a dream of mine currently.

I reinforced the back of the bench and notched in a 2x6 support to join the back legs together. I’m just glueing up a front leg to go under where the vise is. Clamped the table top flat so it doesn’t sag with the cut apron.

I also picked up entirely too much wood for $150usd to be used over Christmas break for my 10’ table.

I got 60’ worth of 5/4 oak glue lam for my table top. Thinking 36” wide and doubled up for thickness. Should be a little better than doubled up 3/4” plywood.

Got a poo poo load of thicker short stuff for legs.

My garage has a very strong smell of oak now.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Most likely red, but I couldn’t buy two sheets of generic 3/4” sanded plywood from Home Depot here in Canada for that. The guy was selling a trailer and all this wood was on it in his garage. It was kind of a “take it all” deal.

I wanted to build one of those beautiful Roubo benches, but I also need to be realistic with what I’m actually going to use this for (a more useful solution to most people’s kayak carts in their garage).

The 10.5-11’ long laminated sections is what I was after to make a 3pc top from. The rest of the stuff I figured I’d use for some other garage-based projects as I need a ton of storage sorted out. I also wanted some cheap hardwood to mess around with over the next couple weeks. Tool sharpening stuff is next on the list now as well.

Edit: the laminated sections are tractor trailer offcuts from a builder. I figured those would make a pretty solid rear end table top.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 11, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I chopped up that cherry/pine slab into some fun angles and glued and screwed it back together for a front leg that supports the top. I need to recut some pieces for the bench top around the vise as the bottom panels slightly shifted position when I glued them to the top and bolted it tight. It’s not much on each side but it’ll be an annoying gap to look at forever.

I want to add some shelving again below the bench that will tie the legs together but the bench is feeling plenty stiff again after chomping that apron piece out for the vise.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Does anyone know good resources for shop set up and planning.

I have a huge garage - 18' by 21' so about 380 sq feet I want to slowly turn into a woodshop. I also want to put in some good dust capture and vent it outside, so I'm thinking to make a long worktable along one wall with my miter saw and then maybe one of those systems where you can pull up some other tools or rotate them down so you can still use the miter saw with full length boards.

Check out Jackman Works on YouTube for some ideas. My daughter turned me on to him through her Making Fun show.

https://youtube.com/@JackmanWorks

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I finally had a chance to get those “Chestnut” boards out to have an eyeball at them - and by that I mean your eyeballs in this thread that know what they are looking for.

The first two boards were planed when I got them with a third left original. First one sitting on my laminated oak panels.

The other planed one

The original finish one

Did I luck out on this pickup? I see the ring pores and stuff but I’m not a wood guessing expert by the slightest.
It was mentioned before that I should find a rich mark for these and I’m not even sure I have a use for them that I couldn’t get with any other wood.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 17, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I had this opening in my garage ceiling forever that I finally got around to making something to close up. Some scraps and a set of drawer slides has my access sorted now. I’ll pickup some some roofing steel to use for the actual ceiling but needed this fabbed for the cutout.

I just push on that 2” wide strip of ply to open it.

Attacking it with some kind of formal plan would have been nicer but it’s just garage poo poo so make it work.

Tossed together a left over router template and some scraps to make a little cleated holder for my squares since I’ve been just puttering around cleaning things up.

Still have to get back to that bench vise that I’ve been weeks on fine tuning but hate the mess I’ve currently made for myself.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just put the first coat of poly on some candle holder Christmas presents I made.
It was a woodcraft magazine project a couple of months ago and I liked the look.

Left is walnut, right is maple (curly I think)

The epoxy glows when you put a tea light in them.

This is totally my wife’s kinda jam. That looks fantastic

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, but I'd have to sneak it past my wife, and last night there was no way to do that without drawing suspicion. In the future for non-secret projects that's what I'll do for sure.

I’m thinking about removing my big shop-sized rolling toolbox from our laundry room and put a Murphy drop down table for this kind of small project stuff. Being across the border in :canada: means I’ve got a little longer cold season for glueing.

I currently just throw some parchment paper on her deep freezer and hope to sneak it back out in a couple of hours or before work in the morning.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Just Winging It posted:

That's a reasonable assessment, but given how much of the cash crops in the US are already some flavor of genetically modified (mostly pesticide resistance), that ship has sailed, sunk, been raised, sunk again, and salvaged for scrap. Reintroduction of the American chestnut, especially if done in a manner not making GBS threads over indigenous sovereignty, wouldn't really be the start of a slippery slope I feel.

You want tree ents? This is how you get tree ents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My wife got me a set of ISOtunes for Christmas and holy crap it’s what I’ve been missing. I always had music playing while working but not needing to wince for the noise when using the impact in tight spaces is nice. It seems like a small thing, but I’m always taking the muffs on/off during work so it was nice just to leave the protection in the full time.

Spent the day in our crawlspace making some shelving we’ve needed for a decade and those ear buds were perfect for moving between spaces. Made some modular 8’ ladder frames that I could get in there and then assembled in-situ. Just a simple two height shelf 24” wide and about 30 feet long.

We call it a crawlspace but it’s really a 50” tall cold paved space under half our split-level house. But it’s like having a really short storage unit in your house so that’s a win.

Also wish I’d get to making that 10’ x 3’ shop table soon. Building 8’ x 27” frames on a 8’ x 24” table was kinda annoying.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 27, 2022