Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Not the point of the made up story, but I have been to and worked at several factories and I can't imagine a layout that allows pedestrians to see:

quote:

how the workers toiled hard while the owners of the factory feasted on sushi dipped in their brand of soy sauce with wasabi while watching their workers.

All I can picture is a small, outdoor factory right next to the road with a table right up against the fence where the owners eat so that the pedestrians can see the wasabi and the brand of the soy sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

I like the misspelling of "pendejo".

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

There is no shortage of issues with that article, but I can't get over how bad it reads. It's like two different people each wrote an article on the topic and someone else just interlaced their sentences with no regard to flow.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Sports leagues have salary caps, profit sharing, and a draft order that favors poor-performing teams. I don't know why people use them as a metaphor for capitalism.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

I like how the shooter both is the shooter and real, but also not the shooter and fake.

There are multiple shooters, but only one of them will be relocated through witness protection.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

No. Next question please, this is easy.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Well, I'm convinced.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
As a kid, I remember seeing Twizlers labeled as "naturally fat free" or something and thought that seemed to be missing the point.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

I don't even remember the original version of that joke but it was probably either racist or an Aggie/blonde joke (they are interchangeable)

The version that we told when I was a child did not have any named person in it. It was a doctor, the world's smartest man, the pilot, and the kid. Maybe one more person that was their occupation, but no names or races or hair colors.

To be clear, we did have terrible blonde jokes and racist jokes, just this wasn't one of them.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 6, 2020

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

borkencode posted:

Anyway....

quote:

And, what I can say, is that I have NEVER in my life seen a President with so much patriotism, who accomplished so much, which has benefited so many, in such an unreasonably short period of time.

I have seen this come up throughout his term, but never a list of what was actually accomplished and how it compares to all the past presidents.

I know it's a meaningless claim that is vague enough that it can't be refuted, but it still bothers me.

Also, I liked the long list of good traits that he doesn't possess.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Do things being near each other have any meaning? Or are they only connected if there are arrows between them?

That's my only question, the rest of the diagram is crystal clear.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

blackmet posted:

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

Just so I understand, they are saying that they have their head up their own rear end, right?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

The Onion posted:

There’s an old saying that the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Our nation’s men and women in the armed forces are the patriots. But, I guess, it’s also possible they could one day be the tyrants.

That's pretty good

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Are you asking for a rational, logical argument to convince someone who believes in time travel

I haven't followed the Qanon thread in a long time. Time travel is now part of the canon? Or at least necessary to explain the powers that Q or Trump have?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

q is using tesla time travel tech given to trump's grandfather to elt us know what's going on from the future. Baby Q (not to be confused with the q baby) is some youtube guy convinced in the future he will be Q. I mean this stuff moves fast, so things may have changed

Thanks. I see that conspiracy theories get as complicated as a comic book plot or a soap opera.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Golbez posted:

My stepdad posted on his secret blog:

"Since most of the problems we are having in this country today are the direct result of women abusing power" is quite the claim to make.

I would like to see the list of all the problems in their country each with their direct cause. I suspect the math might not add up.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

quote:

8. Is there any cop dumb enough to continue kneeling on someone’s neck for 8 minutes when surrounded by people and being video recorded?
11. Why did the kneeling officer appear completely cool and calm, as if he was posing for the camera?

Ambitious Spider posted:

I mean some of them are very good questions, but the answers are just like racism and cop worship

For many of the questions, but especially those two.

Edit: it seems like so many of these conspiracy theories come down to "institutionalized rascism, hatred, and greed" vs "nefarious organization executes a plan in a very complicated manner which both shows how much far-reaching power they have while also being so incompetent that they re-use actors within the same crisis which they hired through Craigslist" and decide that the second one is more likely.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 5, 2020

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Xarthor posted:

GOONS LOOK!!! Some white lady solved racism on my Nextdoor feed! Why didn't anyone think of this before????

The country was founded on white people enslaving black people.

Wow, that really does clear things up when you ignore race.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A conservative friend of mine on social media. I, and my other friends who know him, don't know what happened to this guy. He's always been pretty conservative but we thought he was pretty intelligent and thoughtful, even if we didn't agree with him on most things. I don't know whether it's shelter-in-place or something else going on but he seems to have taken a real nutty turn in the past few months.

Were there people during Watergate claiming that the Democrats broke into their own offices and also they placed the tapes in Nixon's office? This is what I would expect today if it happened.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Medullah posted:

NEW HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
No more time will be devoted to scaring you about smoking and caffeine, or terrifying you about sexual harassment or global warming.

It's about time someone had the courage to step up and defend Big Tobacco :911:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Time for another family member round-up!

I like how for the right, Antifa is both a violent, militant, terrorist organization that is the biggest threat and also a bunch of wussy liberals that are no threat at all.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

PeterCat posted:

However, they have electricity, phone, food, hot water, and a roof over their heads.

None of this existed before.

I would like to see a source for that.

Also, the screed should have gone from 1900-1945 and then jump to 2020 and people are whining about wearing masks to combat a pandemic.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

"Airforce related" means "like to jack off to Top Gun", right?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Thump! posted:

That was a movie about Navy people.

Oh, so I'm actually Navy related. That's embarrassing.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Anyway, hot take from a co-worker on FB:

Not sure of I am reading it wrong, but feels like both: we (Trump supporters/"real conservatives") did not storm the Capitol and we should not apologize for it AND us storming the Capitol is like the Revolutionary War and we should finish what we started.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

quote:

Speed is measured in miles per hour and so is it's distance

I'm sold.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Sure is a lot of judgement going on before and after the line "It is not for us to judge or be judged!"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Is Blazing Saddles actually considered to have helped kill of Westerns, or is that the joke?

I always assumed it's role and impact was the same as Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs and I've never heard anyone say that those killed horror movies or sci-fi movies.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
I don't see the similarities between Deadpool and Blazing Saddles. I've only seen the first movie, but it felt like a standard paint-by-numbers superhero movie with more gross out humor and a lot of winking at the audience. I certainly wouldn't call it a deconstruction and take down of the genre.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

borkencode posted:

when something as simple as the power goes out

I like how a massive power outage is "simple"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Medullah posted:

I always love the "Crazy how the flu just suddenly went away in 2020, huh?" gotcha that you see on community forums. Yes, crazy how people not going to work when they felt sick, washing their hands more frequently and being considerate of other's health by wearing a mask "suddenly" made the flu go away.

I've never understood what their argument is supposed to be. Are they arguing that the seasonal flu is a hoax every single year until 2020 when the people running the hoax forgot to keep it going because they were busy with the COVID hoax?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

GrunkleStalin posted:

Risk and safety go hand in hand.

This sentence is true (safety is about assessing risk and then mitigating as needed). Somehow they are saying it to mean the exact opposite though.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I floor it and drive everywhere at 120mph because the safest thing you can do is ensure you're on the road for the least possible time

I have had people make the argument that driving faster is safer with regard to collisions with deer because they would be on the road for less time.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

GrunkleStalin posted:

My personal definition which is really completely irrelevant to the conversation is the risk doesn't actually exist it's too nebulous of a concept to actually be paired into an idea.

I'm sure it varies in context, but I am in an engineering role that deals with safety, equipment damage, and loss of production and learning that Risk = (Likelihood or Probability) * (Hazard or Consequence) really helped me understand risk analysis specifically in my role, but also in life in general.

So often I hear people argue that Risk = Consequence (without stating it that way of course). That is how you end up with insane arguments like a spoon is just as dangerous as a gun because you could kill someone with a spoon or you can still die in a car accident if you are wearing a seatbelt, so it doesn't provide any benefit.

As someone else already noted, we perform risk analysis all the time in our daily lives, even if we don't think of it that way.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 19, 2022

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

GrunkleStalin posted:

Is the first one, Risk = (Likelihood or Probability) * (Hazard or Consequence) or there actual division occurring?
I’m going to ask them which they think is more accurate.

Ngl though, needing to ask for clarification over this has me worried TheLogicalOne is making me dumber.

Sorry, I meant it as I've heard both terms used for the same thing. I realize now that that is confusing in an equation.

I've also heard people use "hazard" and "consequence" to mean different distinct things in terms of risk, but "likelihood" and "probability" always seem to be interchangeable.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Putting numbers into our profiles was used for a lot of things back then.
Have some in mine, and can't for the life of me remember what it was for.

I think I remember doing that for some browser based nation simulator or another.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Neito posted:

Ah yes, the "Bike helmets cause more fatalities" argument. I get that there's a large chance you're being facetious, but it's an argument that comes up fairly regularly, and is somewhat annoying every time; the safety equivalent of "If you get a raise you'll get bumped into the next tax bracket and *lose* money".

Cautionary Tales podcast did a good episode on "Do safety features actually lull us into a false sense of security – tempting us to take greater risks than we otherwise would?"

It's been a year and a half since I listened to it, but I believe it came down to where they had data, it showed that some portion of the benefit from safety improvements may be lost due to people being more reckless, but there is still a net gain in safety.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

borkencode posted:

*Before you say it, I already know that a lot of you will say I don't know how to copy & paste.* It’s easy... hold your finger on this post when the word copy appears, just touch it, then go to your home page and where it says "what's on your mind", touch it and hold your finger where you would start writing your comment and touch "paste”.

The best part

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Polygamy is when you hoard all the chicken feet and only share with the two chads in the class.

"Observed harpy bitchiness", I say objectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
I'm sure when they ran the experiment the other direction they found that if you give a boy a Barbie toy, he's gonna want to know everything there is to know about Barbie, and he'll try to think and talk like Barbie when he plays with the toy.