Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I ended up with a couple hours to kill in town the other day and just happened to find myself in the Lego store and as it was the May 4th promotion thought it would be rude not to take advantage and bought Poe's X-Wing, which I'd been eyeing up for a while. I was disappointed with the wings, as googling tells me many were, but also found it really easy to rebuild them in a much more authentic style straight out of the box. Slightly baffled why they didn't do it originally with how easy it was to make the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

checksin posted:

Did you follow any instructions on rebuilding the wings? I'm trying to build that model out of stuff in my bigass Lego bucket instead of buying it, and I might as well mess with it while I'm at it

I just took them apart and winged it (hah).

There's a couple things I'd do differently with access to more pieces, like having the leading edges of the lower s-foils being straight rather than tapering, but otherwise I think it's an improvement.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 19, 2016

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I don't know how much longer the offer is on for but I just came back from Tesco in the UK where they have 3 for 2 on toys, including a lot of Lego. They had all the rogue one stuff there so you could get Krennic's shuttle, the U-Wing and a TIE striker for £130. £10 less if you spend a little bit first to get one of their £10 off if you spend over £70 receipts.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Zodack posted:

I've never been particularly fond of it but to be frank the design of everything in Star Wars (even the prequel trilogy) is just fantastic, so I will happily display most Star Wars ships. I'm really taken by the U-wing design from Rogue One, though I'm unsure about the official set being in blue and white. Still gonna get that too, probably!

I love what I've seen of the U-Wing from the trailers but I think the Lego model of it is really ugly and boxy, the worst of the Rogue One sets for me.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Biggest gently caress up was my Helm's Deep set came missing two entire bags, and with one extra instruction manual. Ringing Lego they said to return it to the retailer for a replacement as they'd sort it out quicker than they could send everything, so I did, minus every minifigure, horse, and anything else interesting I wanted.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You're a shitbag

Why? The box and all the bags had been opened, so the item was unusable, and was already missing two bags of stuff. A few extra pieces missing from that is nothing as payment for being disappointed on Christmas Day (I was building it with my 7 year old nephew), and spending time and petrol money partially disassembling the set to fit it back in the box, taking it back to the shop and waiting another three days for another set to be delivered.

Beyond all that I highly doubt it would be cost efficient for Tesco to go to the trouble of packaging the box up and sending it off to have someone at Lego then disassemble and inventory every single part to work out exactly what was missing and then repackage the set to sell again as new, and even if they did, they're out barely a Euro's worth of parts to replace what I took above what was missing already.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'd never touch the knockoff sets this thread seems happy to discuss with a barge pole, I was just providing an alternative experience about Lego's apparently faultless customer service.

The condescending sanctimonious tones are funny but don't pretend you wouldn't have been annoyed in the same situation, and don't act like you genuinely don't see the difference between stealing new sets off the shelves and this.

I'm genuinely curious what their protocol is in this situation. Like I said I doubt the set even made it back, but if it did then think of the amount of work they'd have to do to repurpose it as a new set. Manually deconstructing it, then sorting and identifying every piece there and what's missing, cleaning the pieces because they have to plan for the lowest common denominator of users, throwing out the manuals and replacing one for the same reason, then having to order the replacement parts and divide it all back into the right bags - there's no way this would be cost effective.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm more bothered by the idea of waste than some nebulous deontological concept of theft so I'm pretty secure in my karma levels. It did bother me when I was taking the set back knowing it was most likely going to end up junked. Apologies for this boring derail but I had no idea it was going to be so contentious.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Am I right in thinking that the LotR licence was criminally underused compared to some of their other licensed themes? If my perception is accurate, was it because it didn’t sell as well relative to Harry Potter or Star Wars, maybe because LotR’s fanbase was more adult and also the Lego started coming out a while after the films were done iirc? I have Isengard, Helm’s Deep and Bag End and think they’re all great. I was hoping for Minas Tirith or Edoras, I’d have thought there would have been a lot of demand for sets like those, seeing as they incorporate castle and medieval themes as well. Lothlorien would have been cool too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

How long do people think the UCS Falcon will be available? I wanna put aside a bit each month so as to soften the blow, but obviously don't want to completely miss out. Are the double vip point sales at regular times of the year? Would be good to coincide buying it with one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lol I remember when I told this thread about keeping some extra figures from a hosed up set when I returned it even though it was absolutely designed for the scrapheap and got called a smug rear end in a top hat for it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

lol at thinking those are the same scenario

They're both taking advantage of a gently caress up somewhere along the line, the difference being in my case I was saving something from scrap and in this guys case people are advocating directly ignoring a request to rectify a genuine mistake and in the process getting a bunch of free poo poo and also denying that product to the company.

The guy can do whatever, if it would take a large amount of effort to send the poo poo back then I'd say he's not honour bound to but I just found the double standards notable, and not for the first time in this thread given the amount of talk about buying knock offs.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

My sisters and I decided that rather than buying each other presents for Christmas this year we’re going to all put in money for a big Lego set and build it together, and the ninjago city dock was on sale today for £140. We’ll all be in the family home over the Christmas period where our three childhoods worth of Lego is still stored in the attic and one of my sisters has kids who get to play with it all now, along with their own collection. Will be a nice way to spend some time together, and I’m excited for the set because 1: it’s a cool build in its own right 2: it has a bunch of different sections so we can take turns building it and 3: my nephew got the ninjago city last year so when we’re done he’ll have the whole lot to play with.

Now to decide if I want the UCS Y-Wing even though I have the rogue one version and like it a lot as a smaller scale version.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

Here in :sweden: they're not allowed to leave parcels outside your door without prior explicit agreement.

If it doesn't fit in the mailbox and you're not home to receive it, you have to pick it up at a drop off point. Grocery store, gas station, etc.

It's so weird to me that they just leave the stuff sitting in the open where random passersby can just nab it.

Yeah it seems a weird anachronism to me, like not to take blame away from the people stealing the packages but it seems very stupid to have a system in place where there's stuff lying about for people to rob mostly consequence free (as they see it).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

I know UPS tracks this stuff and if you cross some threshold you'll have to visit their local facility to pick up and sign for packages.

Why is this not the standard automatically preferred procedure when no-one’s in

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I guess I’m being dumb and forgetting the sheer sprawl of USA suburbia, having personally never lived more than 10 minutes drive from a package facility

That being said, you’d think the particular layout of American cities combined with opportunistic thievery would have led to more package drop off facilities like the kind I’ve seen all over Europe in petrol stations or local supermarkets

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Very nice, cloud city could maybe do with some greebling on the top to be perfect. Is the last one Maz's bar on Takodana?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Volkswagen is the second biggest car brand in the world and it was actually founded by Hitler. If you look too deeply into the things you buy, you're going to find lovely people.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Anyone in the UK spend the £85 necessary to get the mystery box of star wars items and can tell us what's in it?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Aw balls, I was going to start saving for the millennium falcon but this looks like a very nice distraction

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I’m in the same boat, although with having the Rogue One Y-Wing as a really nice smaller scale version and not owning any of the previous Tantive IV sets I think I’m more tempted by that

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I'm not defending anyone, Lepin could get burnt to the ground and it doesn't both me at all. I'm asking the question of who is hurt by their actions? If I'm the lowly MOC creator making stuff for fun and sharing it online and I find out 6 months later Lepin/whatever they are called now is manufacturing that set how does that affect me? If I'm Lego then yeah I'd probably have some real skin in the game and maybe the muscle (ie money) to shut them down, even in China, land of knockoffs.

Lepin worker spotted

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The 'new' rebel helmet people don't like is the one in the latest X-Wing set, right? I don't understand the hate at all. And which is the more recent set making people think they've reverted to the old style?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yep, they're in Rebels

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I very rarely find decent Lego deals where I live (in expensive as gently caress Luxembourg) however one of the big supermarkets is evidently clearing out some of their older lego stock because they have a lot of heavily discounted Solo Lego sets, including the Millenium Falcon for €90. I just picked up Han's speeder for €20 because it's a nice little set and am probably gonna talk myself into that Falcon by tomorrow

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

And an AT-ST from The Mandalorian TV series too. Otherwise that seems a whole lot of :effort: , interesting to see the revised Falcon with a fully enclosed hull

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I wonder if more Rise of the Skywalker sets are coming. They appear to only have 2-3. The rest is other stuff, which makes me wonder if Lego doesn't have much faith in the movie.

There's 5 sets from the new movie there.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I found that cats really enjoyed rubbing up against and knocking my Saturn V off its stands so it has also developed an ominous rattle from within the largest stage

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Star Wars Lego nerds, there's new footage of Rise of Skywalker and it includes proper original B-Wings, which hopefully means we'll get a new version in the next wave of sets because I fuckin love a B-Wing and it's been a while

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

That would be great but considering the resistance consisted of about 10 people and the millenium falcon at the end of TLJ maybe difficult to justify.

Although consistency between the films doesn't seem to be highest on the priority list so if that's what JJ wants then that's what we'll get. The new footage does also have a formidable looking fleet of OG Star Destroyers too, so maybe they'll have something big to fight.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I've got a few battle packs recently with the result I now have a motley squadron of imperial officers, troopers and bounty hunters on my shelf. The stud shooters look like rear end and I'm debating buying the brickarms blaster pack along with a few extra stormtrooper blasters to gear them up more appropriately but I'm a little worried that 1. I'll be through the rabbit hole of spending money on customisation and 2. They're not official so the quality might be off.

Can anyone attest to their quality?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'd been eyeing up the UCS Y-Wing for a while, figuring it wasn't long for this world and with the force Friday discount in the UK it's a very reasonable £135, coupled with double VIP points and a sweet little Endor mini build so if like me you have no control over your impulses it's a great time to buy it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

quote:

All parts are quality checked before shipping, so if you find some missing or damaged parts, don’t worry. Please contact us and we will send them to you without any fees, or we will offer a small refund for you to buy in another places.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe they mean better than standard Lepin stuff. I assume that the normal Lepin sets are automatically sorted by machines since they make so many of them. It looks like the pieces for these MOCs are gathered manually or something because it says it takes a 10-12 days to prepare it. So maybe by "highest quality" they mean that if the person sees a piece is obviously missing plastic or is deformed, it won't be included.

Lol that you think the knockoff chinese lego company is introducing this level of quality control and isn't just writing whatever poo poo on their product page they think will make it sell

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

You absolutely are. Put in a missing piece request to lego, they should ship you a new one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I assumed they'd have tried that but yeah now I look closer it does look like they could all be there.

Stability chat: It's strong enough to hold itself together but I wouldn't run around with it one handed. I had it stored horizontally on the stands on my bedroom floor for a while until I watched the cats come and start nuzzling the pointy end, knocking it off the stand and breaking the stages apart and the fins off.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 28, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I bought and built the UCS Y Wing recently and it’s a beautiful thing to behold. Later the same weekend I helped my nephew finish his Ninjago City, taking it in turns to do alternate bags, and I honestly got more out of building just a few rooms and the rooftop sushi restaurant (complete with functioning sushi conveyor belt holy poo poo) than I did the whole Y Wing. The recent chat on this subject itt was totally on the money and now I’m feeling a little bummed (although not on behalf of my wallet) I never got into the modular series if they had similarly enjoyable building processes.

What I’m saying is get the loving City before it disappears it’s incredible

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah you don't need to have any investment in the property beforehand, and actually just the building process is so rich and dense that you come away with a good idea of what it's all about. But it's simply so well put together and detailed that it's enjoyable for everyone.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I just had an initially frustrating but finally faith-in-humanity restoring experience on Facebook marketplace buying a Lego set.

After rewatching Rogue One recently I decided I wanted a U-Wing after all. Though initially lukewarm on the design evidently it had grown on me. I saw a woman locally selling a U-Wing for €40 with bags still sealed, so made the purchase. She showed me the box had been opened because as she described it her daughter had opened it and looked at the bags but didn’t want to build it. My fault for taking her at her word, but I was in a rush and had to get to work. When I checked the box a few hours later I saw that most of the bags were sealed but the first had been opened, the figures built and there were definitely missing pieces. Closer inspection showed that someone had built the set up to about stage 20, and all that initial structure was missing. The figs and everything after were present.

I figured I’d been scammed but gave the woman the benefit of the doubt and messaged her with pictures. When she got back in touch she was extremely apologetic and confused about what could have happened. She searched for the missing parts, but I told her I didn’t want to cause her extra wasted time and that I would just return the set. She refused and had her husband looking for it too. At this point I’d made a BrickLink list of the 60 or so missing pieces and it looked like about €15 with shipping so I told her if she just wanted to refund me €20 I’d order the extras and be done with it. She absolutely refused and asked for my bank details and refunded me the full €40 today, telling me to keep the set, along with further apologies even though I told her she was being more than generous.

So end result, I will have a very cheap U-Wing, and of course while on BrickLink I took the opportunity to buy a few more blasters to replace the stud shooters for the battle pack figs I have on my shelf. Also I picked up a couple pieces for my nephew’s Ninjago City set we noticed were missing when I built it with him, so smiles all round.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

They have an entire spooky/ghost themed line at the moment, Hidden Side