Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Not sure what took me so drat long, but I started messing around with Studio about a week ago after finding a bunch of old space sets that I had bought pieced out back in 2008. I got inspired to re-imagine the classic Blacktron 2 Allied Avenger in a bigger, grander, and more modern sense. I'll post some pics up once I figure out how I want to finish this odd stud width bubble cockpit.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Polished them up and made another new one.

Mini-Mario 64 MOCs

These are so good!! I had just started to design my own versions of Big Boo's Haunt and Whomp's Fortress last night. I was going in pretty different directions already, but dang is it rad to see someone else come up with the same ideas for the set. I'll post some pics up when closer to completion... which could be a while.

Carbohydrates posted:

The LEGO Sonic The Hedgehog set came with a couple of Technic pin connectors at the end, which was basically begging for some kind of expansion. I decided to try to capture Chemical Plant Zone in approximately the same style. I chose this level because it's usually level 2 in the games it appears in, and because it's nearly as iconic as Green Hill.

HOT drat this is seriously insane, A+. Start the countdown until Lego makes their own inferior version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Just saw the $80 Jabba's Palace that folks were talking about at Costco, which is tempting. I was pretty darn pleasantly surprised to also see the Luke + Dark Trooper scene for $23, $7 off makes it a lot more attractive. I was going to buy one anyway, now I might buy a 2nd one to beef up my Dark Trooper numbers.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPI7-T9Ntg

oh drat, looks like someone already has an early copy

edit: looks like it was made private... lol. I got to watch the whole thing, the set looks fantastic

ee: back up?

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 17, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ugh, I was totally uninterested until I saw 3PO and R2.

Not empty quoting. Still seems like way too much $$$.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

What are examples of innovative / complicated techniques in all these adult builds? I've only built my 80s sets and helped my kid with his age 7 or younger sets so don't even know what is really out there

If you didn't already know, Lego has instructions for all newer sets available if you want to page through some of the sets mentioned. I just built the new Speed Champions Lamborghini Countach and really enjoyed how the angles came together, especially the rear end.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/76908

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Anyone grabbing the BTTF Delorean tomorrow (today)? I'm thinking about driving to the Lego store about 25 minutes away from me and grabbing one if I can snag an early lunch. Feenix bringing up potential third party lighting kits has made me even more sold on the set.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Hot drat, the Lego store that I went to was already getting fairly close to selling out of DeLoreans and I got there less than 20 minutes after they opened.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Amazing Stone Golem

drat, just drat. Spot freakin' on! I just finally started playing the DLC earlier today, pretty much perfect timing with the post.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

It looks like the LEGO Technic Ferrari Daytona SP3 set is popping up in a few Youtuber's feeds. The boxing of the set is drat slick, rather impressive and upscale for Lego.

It looks pretty spot on to me and the paddle shifter gearbox seems exceptionally neat. Solid win for all of you Technic heads.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 24, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

The cheating factor is pretty big deal to me. I spent at least 10 hours iterating on a really cool tri-railgun in Stud.io and when I pieced it together, with randomly colored parts, over half of the critical connections that I had designed were clearly stress inducing. It took me 1/20th of the time with real bricks to show that it wasn't viable. I've gotten past the issues but now I want to redesign everything around the newly available angles.
On the other hand, everything that I've built in Stud.io that hasn't tried to push weird angles has built with real bricks perfectly.

That being said, you should absolutely ignore that complaint because it's definitely my fault for designing it poorly. Totally unrelated, I'm also in the market for large quantities of bricks :angel:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Yeah, it's looking like it'll be a gift with purchase of $150 or more between June 15th and 22nd. Or more realistically the first few hours that it's available on the 15th.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If I remember correctly, it's midnight EST when the deal goes live, so 11/10 for the rest of us, right?

I figure this is as good a time as any to get the Haunted House.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Similarly I'm going for City Gardens.

E: Yup, it was Eastern. Well that was certainly nothing like trying to get a new hype set on launch.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 15, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Lego needs to make an uncanny valley hellspawn child Aloy statue.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

holy poo poo that castle O_O 4500 pieces jeeze

https://brickset.com/article/78775/galaxy-explorer-returns

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 18, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

It's still available for me. Make sure your order is above $150, $149.98 will not cut it.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

The full CMF 23 line-up was announced after the stream.

Super easy pass for me, but seems great if you like holiday stuff.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

A Galaxy Explorer, Buzz Lightyear ship, an adhesive patch, and a second copy of Forest Hideaway for $125 after $40 of VIP points? Why yes, yes I will.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

The City Gardens that I ordered on the Forest Hideout release night just got delivered to my place with a big ol puncture that went through the outer pack, the ninjago box, then the white box inside, and just stopping on the unscratched and intact instruction packet (stickers were on the safe side anyway). Called Lego support, confirmed that I still had all of the bags and base plates, and chose $30 in VIP points over getting a new one sent to me. Talk about going from worried to extremely happy in 20 minutes.

And this is on the day after I spent all of my points discounting the space ships :getin:

Cojawfee posted:

Why did you have to tell me this? It's literally a viper. I have to get it now.

I am so stoked to finally have had a good reason to pick it up. It was pretty much an instabuy for me when it first got shown off and then the reviews kept singing praise; I think I remember at least one youtuber saying that it's by far the best ship in years, perhaps even ever.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Youtube just fed me this video of an interview with two designers of the Galaxy Explorer and Lion Knights' Castle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onr3JQICOi4

Which showed off all three variants on the Galaxy Explorer and goes through some of the aspects of the other two builds. It seems the instructions for the other two will be available online.

Chris Knight posted:

OK buying two lol. I couldn't convince myself to get the new BMW bike, it's just too much right now.

Edit: out of stock

Pre-orders are still available for me. Are you in the US or Canada?

Wow what a freaking lucky haul. I'm jealous!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Oh! You're most likely fine, that's the default email that Lego seems to send out with pre-orders. I got the same one when I placed my pre-order at 1:45 PM on Saturday.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Oh hell yeah! I just got a 80021 Monkie Kid's Lion Guardian with a messed up box for 40% off. I've been wanting to check out the theme but the price difference has always seemed far too steep for me.

Although the minimidifigs are weird, I really do enjoy the tree quite a bit. Good thing it'll be infinitely cheaper to recreate (an improve) by itself, gently caress that price tag.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

You should probably call or check the stock online before going out to a Lego store for the set. The Lego website's Check Store Stock feature seems to have a solidly fast refresh rate, the Time Machine flipped to out of stock within a couple hours of when I got my copy. I also haven't seen it pop back into stock at either of my local stores, which I'll admit that I've only been checking because I've been thinking about selling it while it's still rareish.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I'm generally not the target market for CMFs, really only going back for the sick Blacktron and other unique space stuff that's come out over the years. The cardboard robot is cool, I think I'll make it a R2D2 in disguise. The castle callback is solid and the horse toy compliments the new castle's play area quite well. The series clearly needs a "classic-spaceman-in-a-new-unique-color-to-compliment-the-Galaxy-Explorer costume" minifig :v:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Speaking of intense cardboard situations, it looks like boxes will be coming for all CMFs, not just the new Mario series. Can't say that I'm the least bit surprised. Maybe the inside of the boxes will be teal and orange to build the lore behind the controversial robot coloring :v:

https://brickset.com/article/79016/new-collectable-minifigure-packaging

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Two upcoming summer Technic sets were revealed and they are hilariously over-priced in the US.

https://brickset.com/article/79094/official-images-of-summer-technic-sets!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Whoops, yeah, I should have been more specific about that. The material mover was so distracting that I pretty much entirely ignored the helicopter, which seems pretty darn cool and acceptably priced.

I think I'm going to use the VIP points that I got for my City Garden's damaged box to bring the City of Lanterns down to $120, while also getting double VIP points for the purchase. The points churn never ends!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Holy poo poo they actually somehow made the Cybertruck substantially uglier. Pretty impressive if I'm being honest.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

There were no loose parts in my set. It does come with one of those un-numbered bags that's filled with some large parts like the windscreen, but that definitely shouldn't make the same sound as a bunch of loose bricks.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Lego.com has double VIP points today and tomorrow with some sets being freshly marked down as well. Definitely more options than the single(?) set that's on sale for Prime Day.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/categories/sales-and-deals

Monkie Kid's Galactic Explorer finally being available at international prices with double VIP points tacked on is a solid win in my book, especially before the price hikes hit.

I saw the new big Basic box 11022 Space Mission w/ 1700 pieces at my local Costco for $55, down from $70 retail. I've been looking for bulk bricks in fabulous colors, I'll probably have to snag one before they disappear.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Oh great, a spooky house from a license I couldn't be more apathetic about. It's really too bad that so many intensely cool and imaginative sets are getting brushed under the rug for this.

Also, car https://brickset.com/article/79384/chevrolet-camaro%C2%A0z28-revealed
Oh jesus it's another freaking August 1st release.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 12, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Two intensely lame licensed sets announced in one week, impressive poo poo Lego.

Edit: ^ Pretty questionable move to price your Tallneck above eBay Buy it Now scalping prices.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 14, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

The mini-builds for the games are impressively lame when compared to what they pulled off with the NES. It's like how kids must have felt going back home to their 2600 after playing the brand new NES at their friend's house, it's just kinda poo poo.

You better really like the look of the console because that's all you get.

Edit: holy poo poo it's $240 hahahahaha

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 19, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

^ :golfclap:

New smaller Avatar sets just got revealed with much more reasonable price points. They seem pretty decent to me, with the brickheadz being impressively disturbing. I can't rehost the pictures at the moment so this will have to do.
https://brickset.com/article/79587/four-avatar-sets-revealed-ahead-of-sdcc

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Avatar is at very least better than the repulsive Minions theme. The plant parts are the only thing that really draws my attention, maybe in a year or so heavily damaged boxes will be up on ebay going for at least 30% off. Though after a closer look it doesn't seem like many, if any, of the pieces that I want are actually new so I guess I'll probably bricklink some individually instead. The sets seem pretty decent for kids and people who enjoy exceptionally mediocre cgi-fests.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

What are you talking about?! This builder kicks rear end!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Dammit Target has increased the price of the noodle house and viking boat. I knew that I should have pulled the trigger earlier. Except,

deoju posted:

Same. They didn't have the new James Bond car though.

https://www.target.com/p/lego-speed-champions-007-aston-martin-db5-76911-toy-building-set--no-aasa/-/A-84800201
This James Bond car still seems to be $20.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Missing out on those Target deals has me pouring over the price increase list again. Which has me thinking that I should probably bust out some VIP point reward discounts and grab a tree house before it goes up $50!!!

https://www.toysnbricks.com/lego-price-increase-hike-list-2022-summer/

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

When is Neo-Galidor coming out??!?!!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Someone got the yet to be announced 76405 Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition shipped to them instead of the Lion Knight's Castle that they ordered. The train looks fantastic, too bad about all of the Harry Potter stuff attached to it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I've said it before, the XL-15 Spaceship set from the Buzz Lightyear movie is seriously fantastic and shouldn't be overlooked because of the license. The build is surprisingly complex and very different from the new Galaxy Explorer; Lego somehow knocked out a phenomenal un-weaponized viper in the same year as that insane nostalgia bomb Classic Space release.