Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What's the current wisdom on battery powered mowers? I have just under 10k sq ft of fairly easy to cut grass. Lawn is kept up, no big hills or roots etc and it's coastal new england so I don't get big crazy thick grass or stuff either.

I use the Dewalt 20v system for power tools and my string trimmer, but I've not seen great reviews on the DeWalt electric mower esp for the price. I am happy to go a different way on this one.

I don't keep my yard to like golf course quality, so I am OK with it being a slightly cheaper mower as long as it gets the job done / isn't crap. Self propelled is not mandatory at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FCKGW posted:

Ego is the top dog for battery powered mowers but they’re pricey and their replacement batteries are hideously expensive, around $350.

DeWalts other cordless outdoor tools are fine but as you said their mower is pretty lackluster.

I went with an Ego mower and Milwaukee edger and trimmer but if could do it all again I would probably just go for a full Ryobi outdoor system. They make decent outdoor tools that punch above their weight and their replacement batteries are still affordable.

Thanks. I don't think I'd go with the Dewalt one after reading as much as I could on it. Just too many negative reviews etc.

The Ego stuff looks great but I am sorta wondering if it's overkill. I've been using an old rear end used Craftsman mower with a Honda GCV160 engine with just a standard mulching blade. It's self propelled and honestly it's not really necessary or appreciated.

So I was kind of looking at maybe the push only Brushless Ryobi https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...110-Y/311084745

I technically can afford the Ego, but given that I mow my lawn once a week (without worrying about it overgrowing) and am always mowing on flat ground / never knocking down high or wet grass etc I am wondering if the cheaper one is sufficient for this case.

Alarbus posted:

You in the Philly area? I'll give you a good deal on it

Ah thanks but I am a good bit up the way in Rhode Island.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sockser posted:

I have the (old) brushless 40v Ryobi that has five to it and I love it, it’s never let me down, although it’ll chew through battery if you let your lawn sit too long

About how big of a space are you mowing?

I am prob looking at 10k sq ft or a lil less.

Putting in some more mulched beds as we update too so the lawn will get a little smaller still.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fins posted:

how can you resist this awesome operator console! 2 screens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-T_uhQ0iE4&t=309s

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

Speaking of tools I banged out my first copper tool yesterday. Here is my incredibly ugly scoop knife:

It actually works great despite being the shabbiest looking thing ever.

Hell yeah person

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

As someone sitting at home without power for the last 24 hours and looking at probably no power for the next couple of days I would strongly suggest picking up your flavor of tool battery version of an LED light source as well as a radio.

I have plenty of storm prep stuff and we're in good shape but I have a whole ton of DeWalt batteries that are sitting around charged up that could be used for stuff like this. Definitely wish I had these at the moment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I have a generator, just using it sparingly to keep the freezer cold and the well water pumped.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Miter saw question!

So towards the end of September I'm having all my flooring redone. The laminate on the first floor, AND the carpeting on the second floor. All of it! :toot: But what this means is that I'm going to re-do all of our baseboard trim, since it's done extremely poorly, and the flooring installers said that taking it up before they install would be better for future work(and also a bit cheaper on my part). So, I figure I might as well replace all of it cause WOW my POs did this poo poo crosseyed, must've flipped a coin for every measurement to see whether it'd be in metric or imperial, and hadn't worked the work "caulk" into their vocabulary yet. This means that a miter saw will be very much needed.

So my question is, uh, what's a good miter saw for this job? I can see it being used in the future to cut wood to build a chicken coop, cut more molding(chair rail and crown molding), and... I think that's probably it? I've been looking at Ryobi saws cause they're generally the cheapest(and I'm already all-in on team neon green for power tools), but I really don't know what features I should be looking for in a saw. A 10" model seems like it'd be able to do the baseboard handily enough, but is that too small for a future chicken coop project? I remember seeing people upthread awhiiiiiile ago saying that LED lasers aren't necessary, what about a sliding saw? Or sliding versus compound sliding? :psyduck: All I know is I don't really care about a cordless saw, since that jacks the price up significantly and mine will definitely just be.. hanging out in my garage/work area.

A 10" is fine for this kind of use and probably for chicken coop. I have a big compound sliding DeWalt miter saw and it was way overkill for building a primarily 2x4 based chicken coop build.

The big sliding miter saws are handy if you are cutting like 12" wide boards and stuff which unless you are doing a lot of woodworking and custom furniture / cabinet building it's probably not mandatory. For 2x4, 4x4, 2x6 based stuff you don't need much special.

If it were me I would check what I could get used on craigslist / FB marketplace 1st and go from there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

For all the useless crap that gets "Alpha / Toxic Male" branding I sure as gently caress wish DeWalt or (your preferred battery type supplier) would make some cordless kitchen tools that would run off the same batteries as the poo poo in the shop.

A cordless immersion blender, hand mixer, drive motor for a pasta roller etc would be great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

Back when AvE on Youtube actually did tool teardowns, that was a common rant he went on. The battery powered tools by big Red/Yellow/Blue are generally very well made, powerful and you get what you pay for. Kitchen/home gadgets are at the other end of the spectrum, typically bordering on absolute trash.

Yeah totally agree on that one.

Hell now I am going to cock up a way to fit a lovely wire whisk to my cordless trim router.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Revisiting the earlier discussion of LEDs run off of tool batteries. After 3 days without power in the last storm I definitely think these are worth it.

I also snagged this for <$20.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KGF91Q2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lower powered LED light but also comes with a USB, DC and USB-C output.

The light is handy as a small flashlight but the real strengths are being able to shunt your batteries into USB stuff very easily. Definitely something I think that will be handy in another multi-day power outage situation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Sorry. Just spitting truth.

This is a bad idea. Drill, sure. Router? Wear a face shield and body armor.

Gotta get those whites silky my dude

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brute Squad posted:

brb welding a hex shank to a balloon whisk

:getin:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stealie72 posted:

I figured that was going to be the answer.

Luckily I live near a gaggle of tree companies so I may hire one to take down a couple of the standing trees just because they can deal with disposal. Handn't thought of "and can you also chip up this pile of crap for me" as an option so thank you for that!

Yeah my local tree company guy in my neighborhood shows up with a chainsaw crew then with a truck + chipper on a trailer to process everything at the end if they aren't gonna take it for firewood.

That said we got a used Troybuilt chipper/shredder on craigslist for like $100 that's rated up to 3" branches and it did a good job on all the small stuff. We also throw all the fall leaves through it to make mulch / use for faster composting etc. Might be worth considering especially if you do a lot of gardening on your property and have a lot of woods / trees around it.

The back of my property is a wetlands protected area forest so we can just get all the small branches that fall during storms etc and mulch em as needed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

Whats the vibe on 10" vs 12" miters? Ive heard 12" can lead to less precise cuts because of blade wobble

I have a 12" and for 2x4 /2x6 type stuff it's not a factor in my somewhat limited experience. For like finish carpentry /cabinet facing stuff it's usually also good enough but if I want to go more precise than that I'd be using a crosscut sled on a tablesaw anyway.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm looking for a rec for a wet/dry vac on the smaller side.

I have a 110V Dewalt shop vac and it's great, but it mostly lives in the wood shop and is the largest size they make, so it's very cumbersome to move up and down the stairs / use in other parts of the house.

I would like to find a much smaller one (5g or less). This would be for spot cleaning around the house on occasion, cleaning the cars out, and one definite need is to use it to initiate a siphon flow of water out of the hot tub when we have to periodically drain it. So, it would need to have long hoses, or have a long hose that I could fit to it .

I have DeWalt 20V batteries, and I have a Ryobi 40v lawnmower with the big battery there, so a battery option works, but is not mandatory.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks everyone, was also running into the same complaints and bad reviews on the smaller 20V battery DeWalt ones. I'll go with the Rigid unless someone on craigslist throws up something similar before I get to HD next to buy one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAP THE SWITCH ON MY SHOP VAC

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

holy poo poo

also lol at the thread title

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What do you folks know about aftermarket substitute batteries?

example, Dewalt 20V 5ah equivalents like these https://smile.amazon.com/JYJZPB-Rep...093Q4K7PN&psc=1

I am kind of all set on batteries for the moment, but was curious if these were total poo poo, or like 80% as good etc. Thought about grabbing a few extras that were cheaper if they were mostly good but not if they are total poo poo etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tell me your thoughts on electric leaf blowers. I have not been a leaf blower user before but am considering.

I have either Ryobi 40v or Dewalt 20v batteries to choose from for this. Are the electric ones up to par now? Any big difference between those 2 brands / models to avoid etc?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Just a heads up, Amazon has a bunch of Dewalt tools on sale today. Cordless and corded. DWS715 12" Miter Saw is only $199 or $299 with the stand.

Thanks for this, grabbed the impact driver set I had been wanting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Literally A Ghost posted:

I think it's my own bad habits but I always end up rounding out square bits super fast. The torx seems to be the best bang for the buck as far as time/driven screws. I also don't ever seem to gently caress up torx bits for some reason. Like, I know they're disposable but I have some that have drilled like thousands of screws and still work great. :shrug:

Same for me on square bits. Better than phillips ofc but not near as good as torx

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a quality robot vacuum? My wife wants to just buy some random roomba but I wanted to see if anyone had one they liked here first

We have a Roomba 890 that has a HEPA filter. It's been running every day now for 2 years. Great if you have cats or dogs especially. Got it on a 33% off sale. Bit noisy is my only big complaint.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

My mom died a couple years ago and I'm still waiting for someone, somewhere to exclaim "holy jumpin' horse poo poo'!

Like legitimately, not just because i mentioned it now.

I haven't heard that in a long time. Can't remember who from my past used to say it but its definitely a memory.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squibbles posted:

I thought China stopped accepting most garbage/recycling from the US several years ago

They've firewalled your posts, yeah.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I got a Tajima and some extra blades thanks to this thread. The cheapo non refillable box cutter i had was just finally dying out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on a label maker? Sick of using sharpies to label breakers and stuff.

If you have a laser printer I like the printable templates. There are lots of styles of cheap ones on Amazon etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

The number of times I've been burned by grabbing a piece of hot metal would seem to indicate the stupidness is an inbuilt part of the human brain.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I have mostly dewalt power tools and after using my friends Ryobi stuff Id go either way if it was the situation for tools Im not using like weekly.

Same poo poo growing up, dad had Matco tools in the shop but told everyone to just buy the cheap craftsman stuff unless you were a professional mechanic. Works for some stuff, obv for some items you'd prefer the best available but most cases a cheaper tool for less use situations is better than what you would need imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

I was instead incentivized to build a battery charger rack and to taste the entire rainbow. Who's laughing now?

Big battery

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Deviant posted:

yeah but these parts are tiny and fiddly so i need dexterity

Dex is a dump stat you want Con or Int on your gloves

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Khizan posted:

Has anybody ever used the Dewalt 20V string trimmer? I already have a 6ah battery and it's a very small area that needs trimming, so I'd like to avoid dealing with a gas or corded trimmer if possible.

I have one. No complaints, its fine. I'd buy another if it got stolen.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Verman posted:

Give your attacker a harbor freight angle grinder with harbor freight discs and walk away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Can you guys recommend a sword? Dealing with light armor only, no plate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

redreader posted:

Thanks for the write up about cordless tools. If they're that good, then I'm sold. What are actually decent brands? Both of the sales mentioned a couple of pages ago for batteries with free tools are sold out. I just want a reliable brand that is sold everywhere and I don't have to worry about future-proofing. A black friday sale would be nice too.

No I don't use it a ton but we just bought a house and we're putting furniture together. The drill we have is poo poo and we want something that can drill and also potentially do screwdriver stuff. We've spent hours wrestling with putting poo poo together that was made worse with the poo poo hand drill/screwdriver we were using.

Edit: Thanks! I saw the skil post. That looks fantastic.

Take your pick of DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Makita, Rigid and go from there. They're generally similar in quality. I went with DeWalt because of frequent sales on more than one tool bundle. If you're just buying a house then you'll probably end up getting a few other cordless tools as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

redreader posted:

Thanks everyone. I thought I'd bought that Stihl (sp?) set last night but I couldn't find an email receipt for it, then I saw all of the newer posts. A baby gate arrived today so I went to home Depot and got a DeWalt drill, impact driver and 2 batteries set. After figuring out how to use it, my wife said it's much better (she's the handy one) thelan the 4 AA's drill and screwdriver that she's had for years. We're happy.

Welcome to team yellow 💛

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I'm being given an opportunity to buy a used Bosch compound miter saw ("idk 10 or 12 inch?") and a Bosch jobsite table saw with stand which is apparently a bit of a fixer upper and missing a few parts which I should be able to order.

Re: the jobsite/table saw, I mostly use this stuff for woodworking (as opposed to carpentry) so I want something that's square and accurate for repeated cuts, especially ripping. (I do sheet good breakdowns with a circ saw). Are these Bosch products decent for that role? Right now in either slot I have janky stuff that I got from my in-laws for free.

The jobsite saw might be OK but if you need something for like fine finish carpentry I dunno if its gonna be ideal or not. For like cabinet level construction it's probably fine.

The compound Miter saw is likely to be quite good (cant be sure without knowing the model). The main big popular compound miter they make is well liked because it does not have a huge amount of material projecting off the back of the saw for the slider like many of its competitors have making them easier to mount close to a wall and not need to be on a very deep table.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

redreader posted:

Someone who lives a couple of blocks away said "definitely get a snow blower for sure". I've only seen snow when skiing basically and I bought a snow shovel as soon as I moved here. Are there like... Snow blowers compatible with my DeWalt batteries or is that a big "lol no"?

I have DeWalt for all my indoor tools and for my string trimmer, hedge trimmer and small chainsaw and the bigger 5ah batteries work fine for all that.

I don't see that they make a snow blower and their electric lawnmower that uses 2x 5ah batteries is a turd by all reviews.

I bought the Ryobi 40v electric mower and it's great (as long as you frequently sharpen the lightweight blade). The 40V batteries also work great for the Ryobi electric leaf blower (I have the brushless, quieter model and its outstanding). Ryobi makes 2 diff snowblowers that use the same batteries (that are different from their One+ 18v stuff anyway).

If I was going to get an electric snowblower or other big outdoor tools I'd go with the Ryobi 40V stuff vs the DeWalt stuff I have (and like very much). The Ryobi 40v batteries are big, way bigger than even the largest DeWalt 6ah stuff (that is $$).

just my 2 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I know higher voltage doesn't necessarily mean more power, but I have a 40V Green works snow blower and it can't handle some of our Minnesota Winters. Meanwhile my mom has an 80V Greenworks snow blower and she apparently has no issues with our snow.

Not sure if there's a good way to see how much actual "power" different snow blowers have to really compare them though.

aH really. I wasn't saying it's more powerful because of the voltage but because of the sheer size / mass of the battery which is considerable.