Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

my white gi is looking pretty (really) dingy no matter how often I wash it.

Is there a better way to get it whiter outside of using bleach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

Anyone in here strictly do no-gi BJJ?

I found a well respected gym by me that only does no-gi and just curious on peoples opinions.

I've done no-gi a total of 8 times with 3 of those happening in a competition, but really seem to like it more than gi.

I did strictly no-gi for a few years and just started with the gi a couple weeks ago. Outside the high level stuff, it's probably down to preference, though training in both technically doubles the events you can comfortably compete in I guess?? Also (most?) no-gi places don't rank via belts (I'm a white belt :D) if that matters at all to you. The gi is cool and adds some interesting dimensions to the game but I find it cumbersome and don't like that it limits the distance between me and the hot sweaty body of my opponent

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

my grip strength is pretty good but I follow the classic regimen of furious masturbation and opening pickle jars

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

What's a good measure of grip strength? I'm curious as I was able to death grip like a crab when I rolled due to having huge hands, working in kitchens my whole life, and playing bass. Seemed to mean I could hold on to things.

idk but there was this grippy thing we used for one of my electives in college for measuring grip strength. i had the #2 record in our school behind some guy that was an olympic discus thrower while i was just some kid that death gripped my turgid wiener every day

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i toss off my incompetent african fighters for forearm strength. also myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq92gDny-dE

there are some pretty choice comments there

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

kickascii posted:

I've been a fat goon all my life and decided to try a bjj class. I never really played sports and I'm uncoordinated in general but I just wanted to get out of my comfort zone.

I'm 4 classes in now and having a lot of fun, but as expected I'm not catching on very quickly. The moves we go over feel awkward and by the next class I've forgotten how to do them.

For the first time I stayed to roll with another white belt and I realized that I have absolutely no game plan. Is there some decent resource out there for newb white belts that perhaps suggests 1-3 basic submissions from top and from bottom as a starting point to work on?

Maybe I just found a nice gym but I'm very surprised at how encouraging and supportive the environment is. I expected people to be annoyed at being paired with the sloppy clueless new guy but the "ace" students jumped at the chance to partner up with me and they have been very helpful showing me through the motions and not all concerned that they might be wasting their time in class with my mr. magoo moves. There might be a teacher's pet factor as the instructor seems very good and well respected.

I think this is basically what Stephan Kesting's free book at grapplearts.com covers. From most of what I've seen/experienced, the attitude you describe is pretty universal in the bjj world. Experiencing humility on such a regular basis makes for great people.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the rapist lloyd irvin and that weird australian guy have really warped my world view on this whole jiu jitsu thing

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

origami posted:

if you're brand new and just starting out I don't think you're going to get any benefit from visiting other gyms

i think it would be virtually impossible to not at least get something out of visiting a gym if you're new

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

Girls are gross obv

yea. i get to roll around with attractive women on the reg. if you think jiu jitsu is anything less than a thinly-veiled excuse for me to know the intimate primal touch of a man you are mistaken

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

roll untuil youre fukken daed

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

anyone ever train in nashville? I've got to spend a week there due to work and have a pretty good streak going that I don't want to mar

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

beautiful los angeles, california, famously known for its low cost of living

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

can a blue stripe still open a franchise because lol if so

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I think I'm done with BJJ. There's humbling experiences and there's getting your rear end kicked in sparring week in week out for 10 months straight, even against people with only a month's experience I just get flattened.

that's life my dude. bjj is a controlled way to go to these humbling moments again and again and turn yourself into someone that can face them with class and grow. it is not about how good your berimbolo is .

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

Class still says oss twice at the end, once to Helio and once to instructor

same for my current place. i do not otherwise oss or jits but respect everyone's right to do so because out of all the dumb gay things in this dumb gay sport they are amongst the least dumb and gay

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Seltzer posted:

What are people's approaches to smaller injuries? I feel a bit bad taking time off for small things but it seems so easy to accidentally make a small injury worse in bjj despite looking out for it. I see a bunch of people at my gym who are addicted and they come back seemingly too early and they have niggling to significant injuries that last a really long time and I can't help but think the bjj isn't helping. I took off about 2 weeks after a rotator cuff injury I got from moving a friend in/bjj/weight lifting and I think it was a really smart decision seeing as how it was flaring up just shooting a basketball and now it's 95%. I'm mainly asking because I've got a bright red swollen toe atm from yesterday's class and I want to train tomorrow, it feels lame to take off for an injured toe (idk if it was jammed bent whatever) but it hurts to walk and I know I probably won't be able to resist doing a bit of rolling if I show up to class tomorrow.

e-

how many?

i tape up fingers/toes and roll bc I have plenty of spares. I don't have many feet / shoulders / knees etc. to go around so those I baby a lil more

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i intend to die quite young, ideally at my own hand, so injuries mean little to nothing, to me

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

eventually your toes will wither into hard gnarled claws that feel nothing

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i'm rolling 5x a week now & all I know is pain

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

what's that even mean

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

teach me how to fix my warped spine goons

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

origami posted:

be honest - do you have an abnormally shaped crotch

that's a big ol' yes from this poster

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

lemonslol posted:

Is it rude to my new school to not tell them I have a blue belt? I started there about a month ago, really into doing nogi right now. But I got a blue belt 12 years ago and quit immediately after. I've tapped some higher belts on the open mat, and I get asked what my rank is after every single roll; when I say white, they ask me if I am a wrestler, sambo etc. Ive been truly enjoying being a white bellt though, no pressure. I don't feel like I remember enough from when I used to train and that a lot of stuff I do just feels natural. When I signed up I told the instructor that I had done bjj before, but I didn't specify

if you're going to compete under the school name I'd have a chat with them but if you're just going in and rolling who cares

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

12 years ago I could and would jack off like 10 times a day every day. if i tried to do that now sure, I could maybe recapture some of the old magic but I'd end up tearing the dick right off my body. your blue belt is much the same

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Anyone ever use a grappling dummy? I'm trying to get a deal on a used one from a guy who seems to have quit bjj. Will it be as useful as I imagine for practicing things like spinning for armbars and drilling leg positions?

they are useful as light free weights that you can toss around and probably not much else tbh

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

as the kid rubbed his diseased necrotic flesh all over my face and body, I knew that I had to draft up blueprints for the intricate rube goldberg device that would deliver to him a map leading to a key leading to a treasure chest containing a hastily scrawled note reading 'p-p-please consider h-hygene'

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

goongratulations!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i just spent way too much money on an origin gi

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Nierbo posted:

God drat, during mma class 100kg beefcake russian (maybe ukranian) dude slapping on arm triangle with 100% power as soon as he gets position. I tapped and then called him out as we stood up and said you start at 50% and then work your way up till I tap, and then he refused to roll with me after that saying 'no I'm afraid I will hurt him'. Maybe if you don't hit every submission like your life depends on it perhaps no one would ever get hurt. Fricken annoying.
I'm one of the least experienced guys there on the ground and even I know to take submissions slowly when I'm handily outweighing someone. I just feel like I'm constantly on the look out for others, making sure everyone gets a good workout in, constantly aware of my opponents weight and experience level but no one else seems to give a poo poo about any of that.

find a new gym

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ive been out for a month now w/ rib-based issues & i truly miss huggin dudes

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

yea I thought it'd be really cool to get stacked & stay stacked by a dude with literally 100 lbs on me. i could have done literally anything else and been okay :) :) :)

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

ive been out for a month now w/ rib-based issues & i truly miss huggin dudes

I went to open mat this friday and my poo poo feels the same way it did a month ago. I haven't been doing anything that would aggravate my ribs in this time, just some light jogging & weights to stay looking / feeling human. very frustrating.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I can't remember if I posted this above, but a training partner of mine came back after a month on the shelf with rib issues, and he magically improved in that absence. He spent the time stretching a lot and watching vids.

I'm spending a lot of time stretching, too but it will only result in significantly improved grip strength in my dominant hand

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

how the gently caress do people wrestle every day. we did just doubles and sprawls for an hour today and I want to loving die, somebody got hurt and everyone got a little dinged up. wrestlers are tough and insane.

im not tough and insane but managed to wrestle every day thanks to this weird trick: im bad

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I went to class. Holy gently caress. I'll effort post later. I literally spent the last three years being told I could never do anything more intense than yoga, so this was an awesome day.

I also went back today. here's my effort post: ribs held up good & I came back stronger than I thought I was going to. very worn out afterwards. going to start up @ 5 days a week again until something else breaks. namaste

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

our school is pretty big and probably something like 80% of people past a couple of stripes on their white belt compete. it's not crammed down your throat or even highly encouraged ever, but our location gives us access to tournaments in several major cities so there's always something to train for

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My ankles pop loudly every time I'm put in a straight ankle lock. It's like they're helping me.

i pop people's backs whenever I go for whatever the double unders > gable grip lower back > foot sweep is called and to a man they have said that it feels great. i should start charging for my services

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Decades posted:

Well since we're sharing competition updates, I did my second one a couple weeks ago at grappling industries Manhattan. Long story short got smashed 8 times. Still sorting through some feelings. Competition is hard.

8 matches worth of experience is a pretty drat good return on your investment, win or lose

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

"There's no crying in the UFC"

rofl I really love this and am gonna start saying it every time anyone gets hurt or taps

hell even outside of the gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

WayneCampbell posted:

Oh I feel absolutely loving awful about it. The guy is like me and makes a living with his body, he has 2 young kids.... I feel like poo poo and this only happened like 2 hours ago so I'm still pretty shook up. But I also feel like maybe it wasn't my fault and just wanted to get some outside perspective.

I feel like the adult man wagering his family's livelihood by violently pirouetting his entire frame on his acl is at fault here