Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

When I did the original viewing of my house I said “nothing some redecoration won’t fix”. I’ve spent £152,000 on it so far.

Houses, man. We went to a showing of a 1937 house here in Sweden, of a particular style that's getting rare as hell these days. Looked it over, read the inspection report, saw all the poo poo needing to be done and decided not to get it. Looked at other houses, saw this one still on the market, made an offer a bit lower than asking and got it. Did all the poo poo we didn't want to do, and 100+ hours of labor later moved in. Day after discover water leak in basement from using the kitchen. We shove a camera probe and find out the original plumbing is basically hosed (not a shocker since it's 80 year old cast iron but figured we'd be able to use it at least for a while) and we have to rip out half the basement to fix it. Oh well.

Everything else is done though! And it's a loving awesome house.

(Ironically, I just finished a multiyear renovation of a 1940s place and once done said "never loving doing this poo poo again" yet here I am...)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

In the context of a $25k kitchen remodel, a $600 pot filler is not a huge expense. I don't particularly want one myself, but I can see the appeal, especially for someone elderly or with an injury or disability who struggles to carry heavy things... although the whole "then what when it's time to take it off the stove" thing does still happen, so, yeah.

It's just, people freaking out because of the grease fire danger are being silly.

I don't get the grease fire worry. Is it that people supposedly panic and start to spray water all over the place if a pan full of grease catches fire?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, you have to let some of the water out before the water can get out.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just saw this in rental listings:

For a second I thought it was a loss edit.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Apparently my new kitchen will kill me and my dishes will be constantly coated in grease.

We have 30mm thick granite (black, pretty high density, around 3000kg/m3) with 28cm overhang and no supports. Several kitchen designers and installers were completely unconcerned with going to 30cm before adding supports. So far, so good.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

More baffling bullshit:

Are the ceiling lights on the right burned out, or on a different circuit?
Why, after going to enormous effort to install a vast network of wiring in the walls (and recall, this is the UK, so the walls are brick), do you have a cable in cheap plastic conduit plugged into one of the outlets (centre right).

I'm sorry, do you think exterior brick wall = there are bricks all the way through?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Zereth posted:

I thought the supports under the extension looked really weird.

It was breaking my brain trying to make sense of it. Looked like an Escher design.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

what in the goddamn gently caress is that

Guessing this:
https://allthatsinteresting.com/burj-al-babas

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

They just put that in place to make the AC condensate drain work until they can get the other work done.
gently caress I hate 50-year-old plumbing.
One of the times I wish I had pier and beam.

Old plumbing is the worst. We bought a house built in 1936 and had original plumbing and figured we'd need to address it at some point. Well, didn't take long after moving in before we had a leak in a basement wall, decided to run cameras down to check everything out, and realized it was in pretty poo poo shape overall. Ended up cutting out a long run diagonally through the basement to put down new sewer pipe, and decided to replace water and electrical as well since we had everything opened up. Ended up being a big project but now all that poo poo's done and we know every single pipe and cable in the house is nice and new. It's a good feeling.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, at least I know I shouldn't have to worry about that part for a while when we're done.
Of course, there's still the stretch from the bathroom to the sewer exit of the house, which is *currently* working, but...
And it 55 year old plumbing - house was built in '64. loving cast iron. Could be worse - could be clay, I guess.

I'd take clay over cast iron any day. In our place the cast iron was loving GONE, in one place there was literally nothing left except a pipe shaped hole in the wall. The pipes running under the basement floor were ceramic and in excellent shape, but back then they didn't place them in a gravel bed so over time they had shifted and all the seams were leaking.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

That would be the issue here. I'm in North TX, and the clay soil here expands and contracts like a motherfucker. *Everyone's* foundation is hosed.
But, yeah, at least it wouldn't have just disappeared like yours and part of mine did.

One fun thing we discovered during all of this was that back in the 30s it was normal to have the gutter downspouts just tie into the sewer pipe. Also learned that they are going through this area and blowing colored smoke into the sewer system so if your house gutters start showing visible smoke you get a knock on the door and 12 months to fix it. A previous owner back in the 1970s decided to put in drainage (not needed) and tie THAT into the downspouts as well. So basically we made sure that every drop of rain on or near the house got showed into the leaky sewer plumbing. poo poo was so leaky that when we poured a bucket of water into one end just a tiny trickle came out of the other. Now that we're done I am glad we are not just dumping sewer water and rain water under the house anymore. The drainage we just plugged with concrete since we deemed it 100% useless the way it was installed.

We've had some serious rain periods since and there's been zero moisture in the basement. The house sits on a slope and is well above ground water level so that's to be expected though.

One positive thing from all of this is that we relocated the kitchen to another room and instead of being stuck trying to tie into the existing plumbing we could just run that poo poo wherever we wanted.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, encountered some crappy construction myself today.

We live in a 1930s house, and have renovated most everything inside by now. Including replacing all plumbing, electric etc. Said to Mrs Bigsby that the old pipes in the ground outside the house will probably poo poo the bed at some point so just be prepared for that.

Well, they did.

Noticed water was backing up in the drains in the basement when emptying the tub. Not good.

Got a company out to run their magic hot water spraying hose to dislodge whatever. Hose got stuck around 20 meters into the yard somewhere. Took an hour to dislodge, at that point it was around midnight so we called it a night and they were to come back today to continue.

Brought some bigger guns. That poo poo got stuck too. Then they had to call another guy with some serious camera gear he snaked down there to investigate. They were loving around for quite some time, muttering "what the hell IS that...". Ran down a device to help pinpoint the location.

Finally knocks on my door. "I suppose you have geothermal heating?"

At that point I knew what was coming next.

Yup, when they drilled the holes (two) for the geothermal heat pump exchangers, they managed to drill right into the loving sewer pipe. Around 1/3 of the pipe is blocked by a neatly drilled hole and a big steel pipe. This was done in 2002 and nobody ever noticed until now when it happened to snag a few pieces of TP and poo poo and start building up a mess that ended up blocking the pipes.

So we flushed it, agreed that it was some weird poo poo, and based on the general condition of the stuff (1930s and 1960s) I decided we may as well replace it. Going to dig a 50 meter trench after the summer and run new pipes, for the water line as well.

Amazing the poo poo you find sometimes. I could write a loving novel with the stuff we've seen renovating two old houses and the massive fuckups from contractors we used (I do almost everything myself now because of this).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Are your pipes clay? Even if they called before they dug, they probably would have missed clay pipes unless they camera'd and sonded.

A combination. The original pipes were clay and went into a septic tank + leech field. In the 1960s they removed the tank and just hooked concrete pipes into the clay stuff. Former owners had no clue about anything and hired the worst people so I am not entirely surprised about this. The section they hit was concrete.

The original clay stuff under the house had shifted over time to the point where you could dump 50 liters of water in one end and get a bare trickle coming out the other end. And the downspouts were going into this as well. Amazing the house didn't float awat at some point.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

You can get drainage and sewage surveys done that map all that stuff out. I don't think it's standard, but if you got a suspicion something's funky it's probably better to spend 1K to stop yourself from having to spend 20-50K down the line to fix stuff.

On the topic of surveys, we just sent up a Phantom 4 drone here using DroneDeploy then fed all the images into their magic software. An hour later I had a detailed 3D map of the entire property to the point where I could draw a line somewhere and get an elevation map of it. loving incredible, and all accessible to mere mortals. DroneDeploy _is_ expensive as gently caress but you can get a fully working two week trial and that's enough to make a few runs and then export the resulting data in all sorts of format to gently caress with in other software (Blender, Sketchup...).

Just a fun thing to do if you have access to a (not fancy) drone. Blew my mind with how good the results were.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ArcMage posted:

Have you spot checked the output against conventional survey?

The guy who ran the drone buys .LAS maps for work and said it's certainly close enough for most purposes. I haven't gone out and measured down to the centimeter but having measured and flattened parts of the yard using self leveling laser gear I can tell that it's not off by much. We are using it to plan future landscaping including rough calculations of soil needed / produced from excavations so it'll work just fine.

If I can drag my rear end outside after dark sometime I can go spot check a few places with the laser just for fun.

Absolute elevation I have no idea about, but it's relative that matters for what I am doing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, just for funsies I went outside now with a long rear end level and a measuring stick. Figured the height difference (there's grass so hard to get an "exact" measurement) between the plateau and the lower level to 120cm.

Checked the elevation tool.

High point is 206.29 meter, low point 205.13. So 116cm difference there.

Considering it's a lawn and not entirely even I'd say that is pretty good for most purposes.

I also measured the length of some stuff on the property and it's basically spot on (the kids' trampoline measured 361cm across, it's 360). But elevation was what surprised me.

I think we used 116 images for this particular model. It was windy so got a little "wobble" in the house in some spots.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 17, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well now I want my future lawn scanned by a drone. What does it cost to get this done?

DroneDeploy is expensive as hell but offer free trials so you can use that to process everything and play with, then export before it expires. We used a Phantom 4 drone which is a fairly affordable consumer one, shouldn't be hard to find someone who has access to something similar.

For flying and capture we used their free app (iOS but pretty sure they have it for Android as well).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I used wago connectors when I was replacing some stuff and now I guess I have doomed my family. :ohdear: I mean something else in this house the PO messed up will probably kill us first, but I shouldn't have added to the list.

Is it specifically the wago connectors or any other connector of the same style that's a no go?

Amusingly here in Sweden the electricians won't use the wire nuts but rely entirely on the wago style stuff. Our old kitchen was redone in the early 2000s by a non electrician that used wire nuts all over the place and our electrician just shook his head and sighed when he saw it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

MRC48B posted:

Its also piped wrong and will never heat. they need a restrictor or valve on the vertical between the two tees.

Ideally yes, but I think the way the pipes are located you will see some circulation still.

I'm more concerned about the choice of material here.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, in a lot of parts of the world, outlets in a bathroom are against the building code.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/bathroom-safety/

Or I guess not fully, but they do have to be at least 3m (10') from the bath and shower, so it'd have to be a gigantic bathroom to be able to have an outlet.

Here in Sweden it started out with being completely banned, then in the 1960s you were allowed to have an outlet dedicated to a washing machine, at least 170cm above the floor level, as well as a 110 volt outlet that was intended for electric shavers. Finally in 1996 you could put in a regular 230V outlet for hair dryers and poo poo, as long as you have it on a ground fault interrupt circuit.

You can still find plenty of houses featuring bathrooms with just the 110V outlet, which can be cause for confusion.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Which are silly, antiquated hacks. Still can't run a hairdryer or any high-current device.

The year is 2020, and we have GFCI receptacles; The NEC is way ahead of UK electrical codes.

You guys have probably also figured out that it's ok to have your poopwater pipes inside the house.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I was trying to figure out what date inside toilets became common/standard for new builds because both the toilets in my house have a ‘well we’ll wedge it in here’ feel to the placement. The house is 1870s in New England and I would have guessed that was on the side of including them in construction.

Flushing toilets really didn't take off here in Sweden until the 1920s or so. The old school outhouses ruled until then, and in some areas long thereafter. The most common configuration there was three seats, and it was referred to as "the secret house" not because you did secret poo poo in there but because it was one of the few places where you could chill out and have a private conversion with someone.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Neighbors piling dirt and building retaining wall on property line. (self.legaladvice)

Before:

After:

Do they have some big rear end poles rammed into the ground on the inside or something to keep it from going places, or did they just plop it down on top of the dirt and pray?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Man, you guys talking about all these trees are giving me flashbacks to a few weeks ago when I yet again had to haul an ungodly amount of leaves away. We have around a dozen large trees around the house and while they are gorgeous to look at fall is a busy time. Especially the god drat beech leaves which take forever to decompose and you just have to remove if you want the lawn to survive. I think we hauled 60 big sacks of leaves away this time, and that's after keeping a bunch for our beds and compost.

My favorite's the small leaved linden, it attracts bumblebees like crazy. During late spring there's this constant deep humming sound in the yard from the hundreds of bumblebees flying around up there.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

A dozen. How quaint.

I'm about halfway done in this picture.

Stuff of nightmares right there

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Permanent poo poo towels, nailed to the walls.

They started out white.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

How did they got into the corners?

Rosebudding

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

On the topic of security, how much of a deterrent do you guys think security cameras are? And should they be highly visible, or more discreet?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GotLag posted:

It's not a deterrent if people don't see it.

I was thinking more along the line of big highly visible camera == likely fake vs smaller tucked away camera == probably the real deal, but maybe I was overthinking it.

The camera watching our driveway does the Eye of Sauron thing with its IR emitters at night so you definitely notice it if you're paying any attention at all.

BTW, for anyone interested in rolling their own surveillance setup, Blue Iris is pretty drat impressive. Just make sure you get cameras that can stream H.264 so you can record direct to disk or you'll be using a ton of CPU with just a handful. I have 4 5MP cameras streaming at 15FPS and recording continuously and it uses 15% CPU on average on a 4-core Xeon.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 24, 2020

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Not Wolverine posted:

Have you considered recording only when there is motion? I did this one time with a webcam in an apartment. My neighbors left a nasty letter full of swear words bitching about me "playing loud rock music" when I was away at work, so I put up a camera for the next few weeks. Since I was only using a desktop webcam the quality was pretty crappy, but it didn't take up much space at all. I don't remember the name of the app I used, there are tons of them, you pick a still shot and then choose to record when x% of the screen changes. It's also great for watching birds.

Disk is silly cheap and the 2TB I have allocated keeps several days of recording without a problem. I use motion detect to tag events but this way I can still review any moment I want even if something should've been missed by the motion detection.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Did they install an attic bathroom?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

This place grew up recently close to where we used to live.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dienes posted:

I don't think projecting light on paint that absorbs 99.99% of light will work as well as you'd hope.

Could do something like this, pretty trippy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53JclJwR4Po

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh its just a little something I threw together

Grover's Greenhaus

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Since I live alone and have to go up and down an extension ladder to do the laundry or go to the bathroom, the clothes always in the dryer would make a lot of sense.

Requesting more information on this.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I'm sorry, but I would actually love to have this bathroom.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Stolen from Reddit. This is a "subpanel" for a range...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Final Blog Entry posted:

Looks like they need to replace or recalibrate their light expansion tank

It could be a light hammer from someone else turning off another light too quickly.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gromit posted:

What was the Dall-E prompt that generated this?

Groverhaus but with an a-frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Looks like you found a venue for the Great White reunion concert.