Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

Don't take this deal for granite*!

*because it's going to be basalt.

Holy schist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ashcans posted:

I hate that couple so much because they dig themselves into a literal pit of bad decisions and stupidity, and then they waltz right out of it because his godfather shows up and doesn't have an issue with lending these idiots $300k.

Eat the rich.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Okay, you live here now. Bye!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I know an old lady who swallowed a fly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Seriously, on my phone it looked like human tissue.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
CLOWNS

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dagen H posted:

Mods, change my name to Blowtorch Lemonparty

Man, the next season of Sherlock is gonna be weird.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
So this thread talks so much about lovely house design, so what are some examples of good house design and architecture in modern houses? I realize that builders in most neighborhoods are going to build pink brick cubes, but in the unlikely event that I ever get enough money to do a custom build, how does one avoid ending up on McMansion Hell?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm thinking TNG colony world headquarters.

Nah, too many trees to be within spitting distance of LA.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Burt Sexual posted:

I like the stairs.They’d fit in my house if they were black and white.

Do you live in a piano?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Economics also factors in there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Almost anywhere in the US that much copper would get thieved away inside a year.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

therobit posted:

Any word on if the chicken man was inside?

Hope are things looking down on the boardwalk?

This did not go unappreciated.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Devor posted:

I think it's artistic and clearly not meant to be functional steps

The porch/patio is railed off and functional, and seems to be segregated from the stairway/front stoop.

Well, it is now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Devor posted:

Trickle Down was first known, appropriately, as "Horse and Sparrow" economics

If you feed the horse enough grain, he'll poop out some undigested that the sparrow can eat

"Eat poo poo, poors."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Crappy Construction Tales: The penis is not a precision instrument.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Probably :nws:, but in case people haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjQgTuUnwU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They're supposed to be amazing rear end in a top hat fun in airports.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Interior design inspired by the A-Team's van.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jack Donaheyyy posted:

https://twitter.com/scarytoilet/status/1100908040931414016

This account has some amazing crappy construction material.

Look your opponent in the eye!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oh, bra-vo!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I mean, the closest thing we have to a warning of danger to all future generations is the curses inscribed on Egyptian tombs, and in most cases those had all been raided within a hundred years or so.

Tutankhamun's unspoiled tomb was basically unique.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

StormDrain posted:

Also in Denver and I've been thinking lately. I get why the bungalows aren't popular. Small bedrooms with small closets, closed floor plans, smaller square footage, older homes that are expensive to heat and don't cool usually. Or maybe they're popular enough but there's more to be made on the cube houses.

But why aren't there any updated styles of bungalow being built? Same character of the neighborhood with modern styled floor plans, good insulation and windows? Bump the square footage obviously but keep the local look?

Mcmansions make the builder more money.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

StormDrain posted:

This might be controversial but... If you don't test it you don't know that it's asbestos and won't need to disclose it on a sale. If you're going to encapsulate it anyway there's nothing to gain by knowing what it is.

Don't be this person. Do it right.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

there wolf posted:

I've actually used one of these multi-head things at a spa once, and it was pretty fun for a one-time thing. But it only had three knobs, rainfall, hand-held, and car-wash extravaganza. I don't know what you would even use seven different ones for. What labyrinthine PVC nightmare lies within those walls?

Ask Bloody Stupid Johnson.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have a particular appreciation for "pomegranate", "pomme" apple "granat" seeded. Like other apples don't have seeds.

Not least because the name was borrowed for an item whose tight-packed payload reminded French soldiers of the fruit: the grenade.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

kid sinister posted:

Now you all need to look up the 20+ names for the " ` " symbol. You know, the regular press for the tilde key, on a US keyboard anyway.

Lowercase tilde.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

there wolf posted:

Oh god make it stop, here's a weird sink.

Type I socket. Australian?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Youth Decay posted:

Words fail me in describing this masterpiece of crappy construction

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11621-Purse-Dr-Manassas-VA-20112/88020746_zpid/ The whole 104-photo gallery is ridiculous but here are some highlights

there are no parallel lines in this house

The only justification for the $529,000 price is that someone is going to tear it down and build a $2 million non-deathtrap house in its place, but I'd be worried about upsetting the Lovecraftian entity that probably lives here.

What a beautiful disaster.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platystemon posted:

Speak, friend, and enter.

Puff puff pass, friend, and enter.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Luneshot posted:

There is the geoscientist thread but it's more chatting about the profession than it is "identify my rock"

Beat me to it, but the thread would probably welcome rockchat also. Because no geologist doesn't want to talk about rocks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Even better, after a nice meal, they ask you "oh where's the bog?" and you say "right here"

That new avatar of yours is loving me up.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moatman posted:

Apparently worms work pretty well for inflammatory bowel diseases, but they generally use worms that won’t wreck your stomach too badly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Darchangel posted:

You know, I *just* got that song out of my head. Thanks (not).

If it makes you feel better, imagine that lyric to the tune of the classic T-Pain anthem, "I'm in Luv (Wit' a Stripper)".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mostlygray posted:

I used to live in a terrible "little" house in Bemidji. We had servants stairs that were so narrow that you couldn't walk up them straight. You had to crab your way up. It was technically a 5 bedroom house though only 3 were legit. Strangest place I've ever lived. Not sure how a person living off of Irvine Ave ever could afford a servant, but they did.
The funny thing was, there was never a door installed on the stair side of the servants quarters. No provision for it either. There was a door on the upstairs side, but none on the stair side. We put a curtain there for one of our housemates. She didn't mind. It gave her quick access to the only bathroom in the house downstairs.

I'm sure I've told the story before but I'll tell it anyway:
At the bottom of those stairs was a trapdoor that went down to an old cistern which had been drained and they'd put the water-heater down there. It was all brick. About chest high, there was a bunch of brick that was bashed out that led to a curving tunnel. You could not see where it came out as it was curved to about 90 degrees I knew at the end of the tunnel was the furnace. I refused to go through it because I get claustrophobic.

One day, we thought we smelled gas so we called the gas company. I showed him where the furnace was and he hucked himself up and squirmed into the tunnel. I climbed back up out of the cistern and sat down in the living room.

About 20 minutes later he came back up and said everything was fine.

I asked him "What's back there? I've always wanted to know."

He said, "You don't want to know."

I said, "Seriously, what's back there?"

He said, "You don't want to know and I'm never coming back."

True story. I imagine many a kobold was slain that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeEC70Hw38

(To be honest I didn't remember the slur at the end, and I'm a little disappointed.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

tinytort posted:

https://i.imgur.com/fGRW1ru.jpg

Gamer toilet. For when you don't want bio breaks to get in the way of that WoW raid, I guess?

The his-and-hers toilet before that is more wtf, though, because it's set up so you can just look over and chat with the other person.

Pilot to copilot, as the old Philmont hands say.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Here's one from my 1999 trip.

For those unfamiliar, this is the other style: "pilot to bombardier".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Things should stay where they are.

That's what the 400-lb block of concrete is for.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Don't be obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GotLag posted:

The bones were still buried when the pipe was pushed through.

The tunnel being drilled and the pipe being pushed through should have significantly disturbed the bones, though. Even in situ.