Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Haha holy poo poo I used to have that toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

painted bird posted:

Attempt number 2 at taking conure out of box: she bit my finger and now I'm bleeding.

Attempt number 1 at tipping her out: nothing happened.

I guess she just lives in the box now.

I would recommend getting the birb out when possible. We let squirt have a box in our bedroom, and I think it encouraged a lot of the aggression he showed towards our feet. You don't want your new friend to be cage aggressive.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

painted bird posted:

Nope, not even then. :(

I'm assuming tomorrow she'll be even more settled in and more amiable to our hands?

I spent the better part of a week with my hand in my budgies cage, holding a variety of grass seeds, before she would trust that they weren't murderdeathmachines out to get her.

Just remember the size difference between you two, and be patient.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Yeah more time.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Jesus gently caress can we keep this dumb anime visual novel dating sim poo poo out of here.

nope

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I just heard A Fact. Our human fingernails are the same substance as a bird's beak.

And rhino/elephant horns/tusks. And scales on some snakes and fish I think.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You have to video that. It's the law.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Of all the spaces on the desk, all the perches and play stands, this is the best place to sit:

Nawwww taco is waving hello

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Magpies are lovely and charming and cuddly but are also living death-machines if they think you or someone who looked vaguely like you hosed with them or another magpie at any point in the last 50 years.

And they teach their offspring to do the same at the same people.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I laughed far too hard at this.

I was thinking the same thing about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8d19DRQXM

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

There is a very good reason why in telecom people refer to cable shears and conduit snips as either 'cockies beak' or 'cockie cutters'

(with cockie being short for cockatoo, because us aussieslove to shorten every word).

ahem

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

just trying to ease them into the slang slowly...

she'll be right

fair suck of the sav

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's your basic rundown on some of the more beloved cute and cuddly Australian wildlife;

Kangaroos - steroid muscle jocks. When they fight, they wrestle and it often ends in sleeper-holding the loser out. Piss one off enough and they'll kick your kidneys out your back.

Wombats - Waddling tanks. Look cute and cuddly, right up until they're angry. After that, the official recommended procedure is to get the gently caress off ground-level, or they will smash your ankles to knock you down and then you're really hosed.

If you are driving in a car in the australian outback you have to watch out for kangaroos, because they will jump across the road and slam into your car, and its not fun to hit something that big going 110kph. They also have a habit of bouncing, and will usually end up going through your windscreen.

Truck drivers dont really worry about that, because they are up high enough and have enough mass behind them that the kangaroo will just end up bouncing off. They worry more about wombats, because those dense fuckers can flip a road train if they arent careful.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

We fostered staffys while having a bird, and it generally went ok, but staffys dont have huge a big prey drive as terriers, so be careful.

Dogs are generally intelligent, and will pick up that birb is not for eating, but obviously never leave them alone in a room together. You need to come down hard on any sort of interest that the dog shows in the birb, and reward the poo poo out of behaviour you want to encourage, such as lying down and not doing anything when the birb is out and about.

I cant recommend clicker training enough, for both your dog and birb. It really does work well.

Pookah (from memory) is a fair bit bigger than the lorikeet I had, so that will probably help.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That sucks duder

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

titties posted:

Tons of animals including birds love to eat weed and do it all the time in the wild. The issue here is probably the smoking part since smoke is bad for birds and people.

We had to start putting the bird in another room in the house whenever our old dealer was over, because he would go straight for the stash and try to eat it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Thats a really good sized cage, I wish mine were that big. The picture makes it look deceptively small. With what i said about attaching toys to the roof, I just realised you could use a thicker board and get stainless steel screw in hooks or something similar. The bottom board absorbing spilt water and going bad over time is something to think about too but one of the woodworking dudes probably knows a way to deal with that.

You can get waterproofing finishes otherwise wooden boats wouldnt work, but I dont know how pet safe they are. Just because I have a lot of it right now, I would be intrigued to try a bees wax finish over it. It would repel water, and isnt toxic.

Either that, or just make the floor easily removable, so when it does happen, its no big hassle to replace it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dance lessons.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

:stare:

is that real or a photoshop

Real. It's a genetic abnormality.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cassowaries are as mental as cockatoos except huge and with battering rams instead of pinecone bombs. Our snakes and spiders are poisonous as hell but they'll only attack you if you provoke them, cassowaries will kill you just cause they can. They are way scarier imo.

Dont forget the razor talons.

And tiger snakes will attack you unprovoked, if they feel like it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tendai posted:

Ancient, murderous creatures on an island.

Are we sure Australia isn't actually just Jurassic Park???

We even bought in the army to deal with the living dinosaur menace once.

The army lost.

For reals.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Do you still live there? I thought all non native parrots were banned from WA? You have a sun conure don't you?

Not banned, just restricted. I know for rainbow lorikeets you are required to have an avian license and a 2 door aviary.

We didnt, because gently caress that, but you are supposed to. Course, im pretty sure its people like us that caused the rainbow lorikeet problem in the first place.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mikerock posted:

This is bullshit.

MGs were plenty accurate and were used as area denial weapons past 1000m during WW1. This is just a case of gross incompetency.

While I'm completely not denying gross incompetency on behalf of the army, I would be surprised if there were many places in the region where you could get a clear shot at 1000m+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

learnincurve posted:

It's not recommended but I put those sandpaper sheaths over the dowling perches once in a while, the distress that forcefully handling my lot would cause might actually kill them. You can also get special, and expensive, perches that have rough surfaces.

Would it work to glue a thin strip of sandpaper to the underside of the perch?