Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I can only hope they are pushing it to Jump+ where the author's previous series ran and this isn't the end. Seems odd they would can him when an anime for his first work is right around the corner which would probably bump up even more sales for Ayashimon.
It's not getting pushed to Jump+, they would've outright said it if that's what was happening. And either way what would be the point if it's consistently bottom of the barrel in the ToCs and presumably the surveys? Jump+ doesn't exist as a dumping grounds for manga that performs so poorly it gets axed from WSJ. People cite volume one sales but the ToC has always determined what gets axed, not sales and either way a veteran mangaka almost certainly enjoys a certain level of boosted sales for the first volume which they probably took into account. Similarly, if nobody was super enthusiastic about it in the surveys then you don't really need to wait for volume two's sales to make a decision since it's unlikely it's going to be a big seller.

It's like everyone had their heads in the sand for this one. This is how it's always worked, but for some reason Ayashimon is different? Nah. The latest chapter had both a metafiction "I lost my battle" moment and an "our battle continues" moment so it's not like the writing wasn't on the wall. I know it sucks for anyone who really liked it, but the Jump editors do send a pretty clear message: being at the very bottom of the magazine consistently means it's getting axed sooner or later.

I do think it's a shame because there was potential for a good series in Ayashimon but it was squandered at the start and there really wasn't any helping it even if things got better later on. I expect Shugomaru and Doron to meet the same fate in a few weeks' time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Shonen Jump generally always axes things in introduction order so Eartchild will only get axed after Shugomaru and Doron do. Doron at least seems to currently not be actively wrapping up but who knows what'll happen. With Ayashimon and eventually Shugomaru gone, it'll almost certainly be at the bottom of the ToC.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I saw the "next chapter on the 18th of July" thing last Sunday but I'm still confused since as far as I can tell, there's no obvious reason WSJ got delayed by a day.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Judging by how they've been ranking, once Doron and EC get axed, Smartphone and Alines won't be long for this world either. What a weird time for the magazine. Two serial underperformers barely hanging on and two thirds of their recent batch are doing poorly while the one that presumably isn't is on indefinite hiatus due to the author's health. There's also the very real possibility that Ruri Dragon never returns to the magazine either and they're forced to put it on Jump Plus instead with a more permissive schedule.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Apparently Earthchild is getting the axe soon - the third volume is more expensive than normal which means it's got extra pages so they're not waiting to fill out a fourth volume, they're just stuffing all the rest of it in the third one. Or maybe they decided it's such a success they're printing extra pages for shits and giggles who even knows anymore. Doron is indeed ending next issue according to current reports.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm worried for Super Smartphone. Its "cushion" is now limited to Doron Dororon, Earthchild, and Aliens Area, and in addition to the 2 new series, there's the eventual return of Ruri Dragon and Hunter x Hunter to worry about. (Funny how Hunter x Hunter's return has become a real possibility and not just a joke.)

Looks like Aliens Area is going to be the bottom of the magazine (which I think is a bit of a shame, it was a super rough start but it's been surprisingly okay lately) so Smartphone shouldn't be right on the chopping block, but then again being in the bottom three in general isn't exactly a path to success. Both are clearly trying to get out of that hole, Alines with moving to a more SoL formula and Smartphone with basically flooring it and ramping up the plot to bring in more excitement, but I'm worried it might be too late. I do wanna see where they both go but I know that WSJ is unlikely to let them ride it out for very long unless their rankings start suddenly improving. I'd bring up Earthchild as a counterpoint but somehow that cursed thing actually ranked higher initially and had more of a buffer.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Earthchild is confirmed to end next issue. loving finally.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Joe Desperado posted:

Earthchild may be ending but I think we all know what that means... Earthchild 2 baybeeee

Looking forward to Moonchild, serialized in Jump from February 2023 onwards

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I guess it must have been sudden considering thet just introduced the supporting cast.

It is so hard to get invested in anything interesting since it all dies basically instantly

In all likelihood the whole reason why the manga decided to speedrun introducing the rest of the cast was because it was either already axed or at least on notice due to bad rankings. Volume one apparently sold less than loving Earthchild so that would've been the final nail in the coffin. FWIW Alines also seems to be on the chopping block which is no surprise since again, consistently at the bottom of the magazine and terrible sales for the first volume. I think both suffered from not having the best start which probably honestly was enough to kill them. But I'll take a merciful axe over the Doron situation where it just kept going past the point where it was obviously over.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Checking in on the rankings:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/14rm4ss/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_30_june_26_2023/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/14rmk8g/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_31_july_3_2023/

It looks like Cipher Academy is safe for now. Fabricant 100 might be in trouble, but maybe not; the editors might feel that Jump has had enough lineup changes lately that they'll wait a bit before another cancellation. And there's a new bottom-place series (Do Retry).

Fabricant was apparently nominated for some manga awards recently; the winners will be announced at the end of August and based on historical precedent even series that otherwise ended up axed seemed to at least make it till the results were announced. Cipher Academy also got a promotional Twitter account recently so it's unlikely to be going anywhere. Both have pretty miserable sales and F100 especially has had some bad rankings for a while now (and Cipher's are only somewhat better, but very inconsistent) so it's likely only a matter of time but for now Jump's editors seem likely to axe some of the newer series first.

Meanwhile Kill Blue and Nue's Exorcist look like they'll both manage to survive, they're doing pretty well in the rankings. Do Retry and Tenmaku Cinema are dead in the water, though.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shibatarian: Watari having a weird fever after she was given the pill that turn people into Shibatas is surely nothing ominous. And their middle school teacher just fortuitously appearing when they need a lift, while looking suspiciously similar to a Shibata is surely nothing suspicious.

I was just happy that the MC's sudden ineptitude in wanting to definitely absolutely go alone and leave Watari out of sight with the cops while he tackles the situation alone didn't actually come to pass since that would've been ridiculously dumb.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1691781456979259877

Yeah, Kill Blue is probably fine for now, that's kinda crazy.

Turns out no one really can beat Ice-Head Gill when it comes to axes

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1692053731783717254
Huh. Jump editorial seems to be going all-in on Kill Blue and sees potential in Nue and Cipher. I'm guessing they're hoping to build up these three to at least be middle-of-the-road sellers (and maybe more for Kill Blue) but who knows how successful they'll be. Kill Blue's at least popular in the rankings which can't really be said for Cipher, but it has been trending slightly upwards in the ToC and apparently got second reprints of the first two volumes recently so it might not be an entirely lost cause. Nue I think is just a wildcard at this point.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Today in Sakamoto Days: Sakamoto has bad trigger discipline. Shameful!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Considering translating all those titles they do probably costs an arm and a leg and they really can't be making much money off it, I'm guessing we're about to see a magnificent shooting of self in the foot from Shueisha under the false assumption people will totally buy their funny coins to get tokens to read their favorite series. After all, they've gotten used to day-and-date translations, surely most will just fall in line and pay up the moment free access gets cut off!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm hoping the most they'll do is officially make the backlog pay-to-read rather than letting you read each chapter once in the app or something similar. But considering this is a manga publishing company and others have tried to make coin systems a thing in the western sphere before, I can't exactly say I'm confident enough to predict that's what they're doing.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but it still must suck to have the excitement of making it into The Biggest Shounen Magazine and then fail in the end. It's not like being a mangaka generally pays well, so that might be one of the few routes to a high income in the industry.

I imagine they at least prepare themselves for it mentally.

I'm pretty sure I've read that being in Jump is actually pretty lucrative for a mangaka, which is why they're never short on potential new series even when it's notoriously cutthroat and most will inevitably fail at least once before landing a hit, and most will never make it. In fact, this apparently counteracts some of the depression from getting your series axed since you still have guaranteed paycheck for however many issues you've got left before uncertainty. Of course your pay also has to fund your assistants (which are pretty much mandatory for a weekly manga) so it's not some enormous windfall but it is apparently well above what you might get with other magazines.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

It sucks it got cancelled, but I also wasn’t surprised. It was hard to follow at times what it exactly was aiming for, and unfortunately I think it spun its wheels a bit too much at the beginning getting to the great fights and big complications.

The big reason I’d say this sucked is because I think Two on Ice should have been cancelled first because Two on Ice is just awful.

Jump (typically) axes things in release order. It's why Cipher went first before MMA. ToI is definitely getting the axe sooner than later too, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't forget a terrible name! Who in god's name thought that Ice-Head Gill would make people want to read it?

I remember the first leaks confusing people because of the protagonist's appearance and some assumed it was intended to be Ice-Head Girl which probably isn't that much better, but hey, at least it's not loving Gill