Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

A long time ago I started reading Soukyuu no Ariadne. It was the next manga by Yagi, the guy from the Claymore Manga.
It wasn't very special, but there was something...fun about it. Seems like it could go anywhere, but even if it doesn't the leads seem to have a good time.

Anyway, the translations stopped after a few chapters, but I was suddenly wondering whether it had been picked up again and to my surprise it was. Apparently Cyan Steam wants to keep translating it, but they've been busy. So if you're like me and dropped it when the translations stopped, it's being worked on again.
So there's that.

Oh, neat. I dug Claymore. Actually re-reading it now thanks to SJ's sub thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen's translator is on twitter but tweets in such a way that I feel really old because every post and image is smothered in emoticons and stickers

The guy who translates MHA and Dr. Stone is also on Twitter and he's pretty cool. Posts a lot of the hard-to-translate in-jokes and why stuff is translated the way it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

On another note I finally started reading Eden’s Zero. Apart from the female leads basically being Lucy and Wendy with different names (and the lead essentially just being black haired Natsu) it seems to do a decent enough job of making itself unique.

There's a Mashima sale at Comixology so I jumped on a bunch of the early trades and I'm enjoying it. Not as much as I did with Fairy Tail but that series also took some time to get off to wild fights. Also it doesn't have an Erza.*

*Well, it has Elsie Scarlet who is Erza-with-an-eyepatch but she's not in the main cast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, has Eden’s Zero gotten an anime adaptation yet? I heard there’s one coming at least but I don’t recall when it’s supposed to start.

I don't think it's been anything more than announced.

It would be funny if they got the same voice actors to play their analogue roles again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly I like Mashima just kind of owns re-using character designs and goes on record for saying "Yeah, I introduced these people but I don't really have an idea for them yet." Least he's honest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chumbler posted:

Look I will take any number of Erzas and Lucys.

What got my atention on Fairy Tail in the first place was reading an interview with Mashima in that anime/manga magazine Wizard used to put out and he said his favorite character was Erza which felt pretty rare for a shonen battle guy to say his favorite character was a woman.

And she is pretty rad, so it worked out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chumbler posted:

Sadly that did not stop him from giving her the worst canon ship in the world.

Do they end up together? I haven't started the 100 Years Quest stuff. Uninteresting but sort of inevitable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

Better point of reference is probably Medaka Box since that's a manga that nisio isin previously wrote for in WSJ.

Looks like an interesting batch of new works coming out in wsj.

Every time I think about Medaka Box I remember a) it was never officially translated and b) there's a good reason for it. I can't imagine how to kludge some of the translations you'd need to do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember when somebody told me about the Viz subscription I thought they were joking because it genuinely sounded unreal. It's introduced me to a bunch of new series I liked, like the sadly cancelled dumb but fun Hunter's Guild and Kaiju No. 8 which I am into mostly for Mina and her support tiger.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked the first episode of Ningen Fushin: Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World well enough. It's not isekai which was my fear with that title but it's instead about a bunch of losers in an adventuring party and it's fun a single episode in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaiju No. 8 is pretty fun. I've heard of an emotional support animal but not a weapon support animal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dexo posted:

It's just that now we over here get almost every series that is in Jump that is not like extremely japanese(and even then sometimes shout out to Cypher Academy), and we see almost every series. So we note when some series that most people would have never heard of or seen 10 years ago is canceled.

Give us Medaka Box, you cowards. (I'm kidding. I get why.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mother's Basement did a thing on Seven Deadly Sins, a show that like him I binged when it first came out and enjoyed the first season well enough before promptly forgetting about it and... good heavens.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Not yet, but it's almost certainly going to be in the garbage purchase coins/limited chapters per day style that some other services use.

Shame. Viz's "3 bucks a month to read a hundred chapters a day" is about perfect.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How is Zom 100?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

I stopped after volume 4, so I can't say beyond that, but it starts very strong, but when it gets to a lengthy arc with human villains, that part's a slog.

So like most zombie media.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RuBisCO posted:

Kaiju no. 8 is so frustrating because the early stuff with Kafka was pretty solid and then the series proceeded to introduce like a dozen characters and he hasn't gotten like any focus in what feels like years. And the last year has been nothing but fights with aforementioned dozen characters. The bi-weekly pacing also makes this brutal.

How hard is it to just have cool guy punch things occasionally, drat. Twin-tail axe girl can stay too, but dump everyone else.

Mina and Bakko are cool and the image of her using him as a literal support animal for her gun was what drew me to the series and I... think she's still fighting? It's been a while since I checked in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MMA's pretty good. I hope what's her name gets to do things other than just being what feels like the stereotypical 'woman manager in a sports shonen' role right at the moment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Fire Force worth a re-look? I remember enjoying the anime for a bit but then it came to what felt like the third female character in the whole franchise whose deal was she cursed to always have something 'hilarious' happen to her like losing her clothes and I drifted away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sindai posted:

Funny you mention Tamaki, because the rest of the finale was pretty whatever but her final fight is....really something. Suddenly out of nowhere a nameless background character becomes a strawman criticizing her, loses an incredibly stupid argument, and is erased from existence while everyone else stands up and claps.

Check this and the next chapter or three out: https://mangadex.org/chapter/6c618c31-aecd-4f9e-b255-254f68a87849/1

And it still wasn't even really her fight which did feel like what I remembered of Fire Force.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yinlock posted:

it's such a weird ending too because it starts like any other baby steps match and then the final page is just strong bad yelling IT'S OVER!!!

still yeah Maruo actually a) hit the world stage and got a respectable ranking and b) (is implied to have) hosed, which makes him more accomplished than p. much every other high school sports protagonist in manga history i think

Reminds me of Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu which also didn't end so much as just stop. They'd even had a round of expanding the supporting cast, everything was just ticking along and then suddenly the announcement it was ending in like five chapters. It also had a love story that went somewhere and was more focused on the female lead's sports journey (even if it was bouncing off of the 'tall girl/short guy' trend at the time).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Every time Red Hood comes up I reread the whole thing and get mad that it was canceled. But also it has a banger of an ending considering the cancellation. Either way, probably the early cancellation I’m most confused by. I don’t understand why it wasn’t more well received.

Yeah, I liked it too. :smith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

The cruelest cut that really helped sour me on the series was Nobara's death at the end of the Shibuya arc. It just felt like a big misstep.

Yeah, that's when I decided I wasn't interested in the series anymore.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Chainsaw Man made the meat grinder work.

At least more than JJK did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

It still is and it's complete poo poo

I'm saying this as someone who still loves the series.

Didn't they almost literally turn to the camera and say "don't get your hopes up about them coming back?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerkface posted:

Still angry about this lol

I wasn't trying to argue about it or anything, I genuinely think it sucks too and keeps up with the genre's not great handling of women.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

All this talk just reminds me of how Shokugeki no Soma went completely off the rails and at one point there was a clown chef that juggled food, some chick that came straight out of Akame ga kill, Herbert West the Reanimator, and a bunch of other ridiculous chef concepts plus straight up magic. I never finished Yakitake but I'm not surprised it apparently jumps the shark either.

Wasn't that another one where the creator clearly had kind of checked out but they wanted him to keep at it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Wait so I use the jump app for this one and not the viz?

Yeah, it's on my phone's Jump app, at least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm not sure what possessed me to keep reading Undead Unluck beyond it's on SJ and I have a sub but I'm glad I did because like it turns a corner and is really good. The key is probably focusing more on Fuuko.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

UU gets actively better the less Andy is involved. Yet oddly he still scores good in the popularity polls. :shrug:

That checks out. It's about 125 or so it gets really good, and admittedly two years is a big ask of folks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elfface posted:

I vaguely remember Mai/My Hime being the first such one I saw, which also sort of fulfilled the 'death tournament for cosmic power' thing I think?

I remember very little about that show save vaguely recalling the villain got off scot free and it was irritating.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I 100 percent get people bouncing off Undead because two hours of a good looking comic with a kinda weak plot is a big ask but the reward that awaits somebody who sticks it out. Like the anime just dropped and the animation is in fact really good but it's also when the series is at its most... most.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Kaiju #8 starts with the Akira bike slide but on a tiger. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Unfortunately that's about the only cool thing in the entire chapter.

I liked it. Exploring your supporting cast is cool and good. And like somebody said, it's a nice spin on 'the underdog feels bad for not keeping up with the ace.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 16, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Togashi explicitly wants to do an ensemble series. He lost interest in the series he was doing before Hunter cause he wanted to do an ensemble and was rejected cause Jump wants there to be a proper main character.

That probably explains a lot about how a bunch of Jump comics go.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the Undead Unluck anime and it is kind of wild to go back to these parts of the story considering where the series is now.

Mother's Basement did a good video (or part of a video) on UU and talked about how it's worth it when you get to The Good Part of Undead but at the same time two years roughly of chapters is a super big ask of anybody and if you bounce before then no shame. Re-reading the early stuff Andy does settle down a bit quicker than I thought but it's still there, so I get it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

Just read 45 chapters of Undead Unluck over about two hours in what was meant to be a quick five or so before bed. I'm up to Chapter 120 now. That series just keeps getting better and better, holy poo poo.

Yeah, once it starts to trend upwards it doesn't stop. You just have to get there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

panko posted:

since its shonen the period after this fight is likely going to feature asumi having a crisis of conscience but I’d love to have my expectations subverted and have him go full violence enjoyer. teppu’s premature demise left me wanting

Teppu also makes me wish Nao had a bigger part to play.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sindai posted:

Green Green had a fine start but it's funny that, of the three sports manga currently in WSJ, in all 3 the inciting incident is a boy seeing a cute girl do the sport.

Anyway Nao is good and I hope she never gets pushed into the background.

The female lead in All-Rounder Meguru basically became a co-protagonist after a while, so there's precedence in an MMA book for them to be front and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

How much have you read? It kinda went up significantly chapter by chapter for me until it reached a baseline level of “drat, this is pretty great” around, idk, a bit before Autumn (and goddamn this rips around chapter 130) but ymmv.

Yeah, as much as I like to rib it for needing two years to get good it honestly starts at a slow arc upwards after the first couple of chapters (and then rapidly increases pace). That sounds about right.