Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shinjobi posted:

Xehanort kills Shinji

I can't believe Rei gets norted.

Siegkrow posted:

I can't wait for eva 3+1 to come out because I NEED peaceful times in an SRW.

I wonder how fast they'll fit the new poo poo into a new SRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

My first Eva experience was buying 2 episodes at a time on vhs

You young shits

This except renting them. Roger's Video had a surprising amount of anime available so during the summers me and my friends would have like, anime weekends in the basement.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've been re-watching all of Evangelion for the first time in a decade or so and I think I actually like it a lot more this time around now that I'm not just sitting there going "Ugh what's with all this talking instead of fighting!" and giving more consideration to the characterization of everyone instead of just dismissing shinji as a whiny baby.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fereydun posted:

shinji is super heroic because hes a scared peebaby who still goes out to get absolutely fuckin wrecked including basically dying like three times just so he can try and help

its like how krillin keeps showing up to fights even though he is basically guaranteed to die and has doed twice before except shinji is a lil kid instead of a grown man

Krillin and Yamcha are my favorite Z Fighters because not only did they keep trying for a concerning amount of time despite being mostly regular rear end people against, and along side, monsters: but they were also the ones smart enough to recognize this and just get out early. After dying like twice each.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Narzack posted:

The whole whiny Shinji thing is something that I never really got, even as a younger dude. He's a child, with a dead mother, an AWFUL father, stuck into a nightmare war that he doesn't understand or have any training at all for, he's abused and exploited by adults, tortured mentally by Asuka and beaten up by his peers, nearly dies over and over, is forced by his father to explode someone who finally starts showing kindness, and STILL keeps getting back in the Eva. AND HE'S A CHILD. It never made sense to me, the way people hate him.

EDIT: Rebuild 3 should be called EVERYONE IS A TOTAL DICK TO SHINJI.

He doesn't get into the sick rear end robot and punch the giant monsters though.

Honestly that's the bulk of it. To this day I know people who refuse to listen to anything and still insist that shinji has zero character growth or development he just whines and complains and does nothing the whole series because their view of the show is constantly reinforced by the memes.

wdarkk posted:

Yeah. It's been a while since I saw first Gundam but I feel like Amuro, at least in the beginning, has a similar energy to Shinji. Amuro eventually pulls way ahead, in part because Bright and such are way better at providing a support structure. Also, he's 15 as opposed to Shinji's 13, which probably makes a difference.

Given that Anno is apparently a big Gundam fan I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection there.

I really liked Amuro in Mobile Suit Gundam, his arc is pretty fun and I genuinely like where they took the character in Zeta and ZZ. It kind of made sense to me, at least.

I really like the character interactions in the Super Robot Wars games because sometimes they manage to get some really good poo poo in there that often plays off of how similar plotlines and character arcs tend to be in mecha series and some of my favorites will always be times like when the pilots of mechs like Getter and Mazinger just kind of befriend Shinji and help him feel better about himself and the lovely situation he's in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mari is a totally normal human, but she's animated by the soul of Jet Alone

I want nothing more than the franchise to end with Jet Alone just showing up to slap the evas down and no one can do anything to stop it because it doesn't have a soul.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I didn't even think about the delay between theaters to like, a proper home release. Oh no.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Surprisingly Dope posted:

i guess there wont be an english subtitled release for a while?

Yeah unless they do some kind of simultaneous release it's going to be a while, even if there is a group ready to hop to it as soon as they possibly can get ahold of a digital copy or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

That was a really long and cool post. But did anyone ever notice that shinji and rei's plug suits have two red dots on them? And one of the adams also has two dots on it. That's a real thinker!

For serious though, I'm actually really curious about Mari's greater like, role in the series at this point. I remember reading an interview where they had, early on in the design of the rebuilds, considered having her replace other character's roles but have clearly scrapped that idea. And as fun as it is to joke about her being a character that exists to confuse fans or whatever: I'd assume they have some plan for her and this is the exact kind of eva fan theory/idea breakdown stuff I've always loved seeing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pretty good posted:

Time to stop reading this thread lmao

See y'all when some subs come out

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bees x1000 posted:

give us a way to pay for it and we wouldn't want a camrip. it's a shame the year is still 1998 and there's no easy, convenient and universally accepted way to globally distribute and monetize media.

I'm pretty sure they're well aware the instant they release it on any kind of home media or streaming it's going to get pirated to hell by basically everyone who can't legally buy/watch it thanks to regional malarkey so they're taking their time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

It's been years since I looked into it, but isn't Shinji mentored by more of the hot blooded pilots or something like that?

In one of the more recent ones, V, which can be imported in English for the PS4 or pirated in English for PC has the Getter and Mazinger pilots adopt him, more or less, and since he's around a bunch of people who actually give a poo poo he winds up less miserable. I'm really looking forward to seeing how SRW handles the fourth rebuild.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Wittgen posted:

I definitely consider rebuild 1 uglier than the first six episodes of the TV show. I don't think I would call it ugly, but it is aesthetically a downgrade.

The Bardiel fight was where I went "If the rest of this is like this, I'm going to skip the future movies" because I really didn't like how they changed the atmosphere of the fight. and then poo poo goes off the wall.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I liked the ending way more than ever expected to. I'm looking forward to its content showing up in a proper SRW game to get the silly dad fight. I never expected them to stick the landing on it at all, and they managed it and I'd be okay with there never being any new eva stuff ever again after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Midjack posted:

Good troll but if you ever want him to watch the rest of it that may backfire.

It's okay he's going to also get to see the best fight scene and isn't that what robot shows are all about?