Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I really don't know anything about the various sub groups, but man that TV Nihon nonsense is whack.

I must be the only person in the universe that prefers TV Nihon's subs, at least for Gokaiger. I actually like the colored subs, and I prefer to see the honorifics in the subtitles. "Mr. Marvelous" doesn't flow as well for me as "Marvelous-san"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Believe me, you're not. We get people crying about it in our inbox literally all the time, from less than 24 hours after we started the blog. So your opinions are wrong, and you're not alone. Ps. It's fine if Marvelous-san sounds better to you than Mr. Marvelous, because O-T actually translates that as just plain Marvelous.

I'll have to track down exactly what I was watching, but I'm 99% sure it was something subbed by O-T that subtitled Ahim as saying "Mr. Marvelous".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Yeah cos Ahim talks so politely that she calls everyone mr. or ms, even the guy who kidnapped her for ransom.

But I prefer seeing the subs saying Marvelous-san, which matches what's coming out of her mouth. I just feel that the Japanese honorifics carry more weight and meaning than the "equivalent" titles in English.

Anywho, I don't want to start a huge derail with angst, so let's agree to disagree :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Justin_Brett posted:

If what you like is the honorifics, you could always get their soft-subs and edit the file beforehand. TV-N should never be someone's first choice, even if you prefer that subbing style.

My big thing I liked about their Gokaiger subs was the fun things like the logos popping up behind the Mobirates calls. I know, it's a dumb gimmick, but I liked it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ActionZero posted:

You are on an extremely slippery slope to "TN: Keikaku = Plan" here.

As I said, I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree. In the age of the Internet, we all can track down and watch whichever subs we want.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Flows better, you say?

In terms of flow, all I mentioned was the honorifics.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HKR posted:

I think the lessons we can learn from this is that there is a small group of people who would enjoy someone taking OT's more accurate translations and adding back in the honorifics while maybe doing some visual jazz to the attack names. If anyone wants to be /m/ famous or learn Aegisub, you'd probably have a small fanbase willing to gobble it up.

Yes. That. I am the target audience for that idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Autumncomet posted:

I figured that before jumping into Gokaiger, I'd check out the sentai version of my favorite Power Rangers, RPM. Is Go-Onger anything like RPM in tone or plot?

I've not watched much of Go-Onger, but from what I understand, its a lot more lighthearted than RPM ended up being. (Not that RPM's "darkness" was particularly deep, but it did at least attempt to be a bit more serious than your average Power Rangers season.

But seriously, watch Gokaiger, its great in that I didn't find many (if any at all) truly bad episodes in the mix.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

And the next episode promises the most powerful dad joke in history.

Words cannot express how excited I am for this. Kyoryu Blue is my favorite core team member, because he's just so chill, without making it a parody. (Cyan is my favorite hero, of all time, ever)

EDIT: I know I'm still behind the times here, but I'm getting close to end of Go-Busters, and I just have to leave this here.

Good episode all around, and one of the least pandering "Power of Friendship, let's all combine our power and win!" moments I've seen.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think I'd be happier with Megaforce if AdBlock+ worked with Hulu.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Flameingblack posted:

So they're going to get a new cast for Gokaiger's US adaptation right? I can't see the robo red ranger becoming Mr Swag, Captain Marvelous, or the nerd becoming second in swag, Joe. Gia would make a great Luka and Jake might make a good Joe and that's about all. I don't know why BMX queen would suddenly become the frail princess.

There's something floating around that says that we're not even getting a full Gokaiger adaptation, and for some reason the pirate suits will be upgrades for the Megaforce rangers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was mad when this episode of Akibaranger was a clip show...then everything started to make sense. This show is delightful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I started in on watching Shinkenger, and I'm liking a lot of the cast, but how long until Red stops being an arrogant dick? He's really dragging the show down for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, I'm only 3 episodes in so far. If they start presenting him as less of an aloof rear end soon, I'll be content.

In other Shinkenger news, I really cannot decide if I like the helmets or not. The symbol-visors look too...bulbous in places, especially Yellow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm also starting to see why people dog on TV-Nihon's subs. I honestly prefer their Gokaiger ones, but man...they leave a LOT of random Japanese in the Shinkenger ones. Is that due to the glorious Nippon-ness of the source material, or is it just TVN being TVN?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can sorta see the idea behind leaving attack names in Japanese, and it's not enough to completely turn me off the show, but yeah, other than Gokaiger, I'm going to be avoiding TVN.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I actually am in the minority that likes the text effects. That's why I like their Gokaiger subs, with the logos of the Sentai team whenever they Gokai Change, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wish I had the disposable income to be a completionist...I seriously think ranger keys are the coolest things ever, but seeing as my wife and I just got married and moved out, and my student loans are coming due, it's gonna be a couple years before I can afford to drop any kind of money into plastic collectables.

I do not hold much hope for finding affordable ranger key sets 4 or 5 years from now, if other toku merch prices/availability is any indication.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just watched a youtube video of all the Sentai "handoff" scenes from the end of each season, and suddenly realized that I'd really like to see the pirate theme revisited and played straight, instead of being the "base" theme in a anniversary/omega team up season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Watching episode 3 of Garo. Still can't get over Gai not being the silly fanboy and instead being a studly playboy. That said, him taking interest in a conversation at the mention of "naked chick" is pretty consistent with his Gokai Silver attitude.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

toomanyninjas posted:

That makes the team dynamic kind of creepy. You've got this 32-year-old family man hanging around with a 16-year-old Green and and 18-year-old Pink—he's twice the age of one of his teammates!

But he's just so mellow and chill. He's not hanging out with Pink in order to creep on her. If anything, he's taking the big brother, or even fatherly, role.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xelkelvos posted:

I thought she was 16.

IIRC, she's 16 now, 15 when filming.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

I got my Legacy Morpher today. It's great. The coins are all diecast and have some real heft to them, which I wasn't actually expecting. I thought just the plates on the morpher itself were diecast. The belt attachment makes it really easy to display too. Bonus points: It plays the MMPR theme when you hold down the button and the Communicator beeps when you turn it on. :allears:

Man. I hope I can get one of those...I kept checking the Toys R Us website, but they were always out of stock.

Edit: and now that I say that, they're available to order!

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 15, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my legacy Morpher in the mail today...and sadly, the Tyrannosaurus coin won't stay in the morpher :( I contacted Toys R Us and Bandai; does anyone have any experience with their customer support? How likely is it that I can get a replacement coin?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

From what I've read, because that actually is a documented problem a few people had, you may have to return the whole thing and wait for a new one.

Yeah, Toys R Us got back to me and wants me to ship the whole thing back, and then they'll give me a new one. I said "That's dumb, just send me a new T-Rex coin, Failing that, ship me a new one and then I'll ship back the old one."

Hopefully Bandai can just drop a properly cast T-Rex coin in the mail out of a spare-parts stash...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I do love seeing the actors in the suits. One of my biggest disappointments as a child was learning that Jason David Frank (and the other Mighty Morphin guys) didn't do all of their own suit-work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

Funfact: JDF actually did a lot of suit-work once he became the white ranger since they obviously didn't have any footage to go off of whenever he was around the Zyu suits.

That makes child-jivjov inordinately happy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we know when Megaforce is gona start airing again? I can't find anything other than that video from the cast saying "later this year".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Justin_Brett posted:

I wonder if the other actors there are wondering how much more Tommy's getting paid than them?

I don't have a link handy, but JDF released a video saying that he's doing this for the fans, not the money. His paycheck is for the kingly ransom of $1

Edit: Logistically, he's probably getting a regular paycheck and will be donating it to some charity.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 26, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It really makes me happy seeing so many old ranger actors back. I knew full well that a full tribute season like Gokaiger would never fly here in America, but drat, it's looking like we're gonna get one hell of an anniversary episode/story arc. My Power Rangers watching is really sporadic, but it really looks like they've got people from every season I love (MMPR, Space, Lightspeed, Time Force, Dino Thunder [I'm counting Tommy here])

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, if someone is doing a vintage power rangers podcast, I would love to guest on there at some point.

I wonder if we're gonna get classic morphing sequences, or if everyone is just gonna show up already suited up...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

Really the whole Lightspeed team was pretty badass. Carter was a quintessential Red Ranger though.

If I recall correctly, he relied a bit too much on his gun and not enough on sweet kung fu.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Liar Lyre posted:

I'll probably leave my email or twitter and then relay details there, but for general stuff I'll post directly. For example, what kind of format would work best? My favorite idea at the moment is to review the series one episode at a time, five times a week. Of corse each week of content will be recorded ahead of time in one sitting. Besides that, we could have a new PR/Sentai related topic to talk about each week, have a general show with news and what's new (although No Pink Spandex already does a great job with that), or something else. If any of you guys have a suggestion, please say something because you'll be the ones listening.

I like the one episode of PR = one podcast episode; maybe follow that up with a longer and more detailed series discussion episode over the series as a whole.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

Lightspeed is a badass underrated season. The green ranger is awesome, and carter is a new age Jason. The whole show is a retread of mmpr kinda but different. I liked it.

And the zords were amazing. Super. Train. Megazord. That is all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There wasn't as much Nossan+Utchy PowerHour goodness as I was expecting this week, but it was a pretty fun episode. Also, a missed opportunity to drop a Go-Busters reference.

Next week looks sick though. I'm a sucker for "Revelation about the past" plots.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

So TVN came out and said anybody who doesn't like them is a hating troll idiot. Then I watched that Otakuking anime fansub documentary on youtube and laughed.

After reading their news post, it seemed more like they were calling out people who were full-on being hateful to them (personal insults and the like), not "anyone who doesn't like them"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Liar Lyre posted:

I think I figured out how to record Skype decently enough and how to publish a podcast (sort of), so if you would like to talk about old episodes of Power Rangers add me on Skype: liarlyresa

Send me a message telling me when you are available (days, times and time zone) and I'll probably pick the first two people to contact me unless there is a major conflict in schedules.

Also if you have previous podcasting experience, hit me up because I barely know what I'm doing.

Added you. I don't have a whole lot of podcast experience, but I have fiddled with audio editing before

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fooley posted:

A week or two ago they were posting caps of Nobuharu's jokes on Kyoryuger, and it REALLY made me appreciate the extra effort OT puts in to rewrite them.

I didn't even think of that. His jokes, as written, must make absolutely zero sense if translated literally...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I appreciate TV-N telling us exactly what the character said and then explaining the pun...but O-T's certainly reads better in-the-moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't tell you what he said though. He is telling a joke. That is not a joke. That is him literally saying something.

TV-N gave a direct translation, and also provided an explanation of the pun. If you're a fast reader, you can read all that in time with the episode. That said, I appreciate O-T writing English puns.

• Locked thread