Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

Interestingly enough, Zyuranger was not the first sentai that was adapted for english audiences. Back in the 80's USA aired a parody dub of Dynaman, it only lasted for 6 episodes but here you go.

There was also a complete english dub of Bioman that aired in the Philippines. You can find it here.

I remembered seeing that gag dub Dynaman opening years ago, thanks for confirming I didn't just dream it.

So much toku, where am I going to find the time and hard drive space for all this? :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Justin_Brett posted:

Weren't the Yumajuu turned into Toxic Mutants or whatever? That's sort of foreshadowing.

They were toxic mutants in Goseiger too, and the environmental message stuff was dropped pretty quickly after one clash between the Goseigers and Gosei Knight about it.

Potsticker posted:

I liked Double's and Gokaiger's monster suits a lot. OOOs had some good ones too, but I'm lukewarm on Fourze's and Wizards. Gobuster's were too same-y and they reused suits a lot. Kyoryuger's so far have been pretty good, I thought.

For those of you who don't like the ones in Double, which series' monster suits do you like?

W's monsters ranged from cool (Weather) to silly (Sweets), overall I thought they were pretty average. My favorites are Agito's Unknown/Lords, Blade's Undead and Fourze's Zodiarts. I feel like those strike a good balance between having consistant, related designs without being uniform like Faiz's Ophenochs.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Rei_ posted:

The Orphenoc were really, really good looking though. Yeah they were all slate coloured, but they were all really unique designs.

I know, and looking at still pictures really shows that off, but when they were in motion I just couldn't get over them being all grey.

ImpAtom posted:

The environmental message continued basically throughout the entire series so I'm not sure what you mean there. Goseiger is hippy as gently caress.

The Uma were basically Captain Planet villains though, yes. Their gimmick was that they thrived in pollution and so all of their MotWs had some sort of pollution theme.

Gosei Knight attacks a factory once while blaming humans for the reappearance of the Umajuu. I don't remember anyone else bringing up the idea that humans were at fault afterwards, as opposed to blaming the current crop of monsters who wanted to destroy/enslave the planet. The Umajuu were also based on cryptids as well as pollution, hence the U.M.A. portion of the name for anyone who didn't know.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ImpAtom posted:

Gosei Knight has multiple occasions where he blames humans in general for being fuckups, although only to that extreme of attacking them once. His arc is basically him going from "man, gently caress humans, ya'll are ruining this planet" to "Huh, maybe humans aren't so bad." It plays into the fact that He is Bladerun's Headder and Bladerun has basically the same mindset times a thousand because he's a giant rear end in a top hat.

Well, that goes to show how little I remember about Goseiger. Thanks for the clarification.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

SpazmasterX posted:

It's really not that bad. Nowhere near as awful as Operation Overdrive's.

That's what I was going to say. I enjoyed Mystic Force's theme as well.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how to podcast, but once I get that's settled I'll be sure to tell you guys and organize something. So I'm guessing Early June.

Plan on posting here with details, or using PM/email? I'd like to get in on something like that, or at least check it out.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

JT Smiley posted:

Carter was a badass? I never managed to sit through more than a handful of episodes before I just gave up on Lightspeed completely. To this day it's the only season I've skipped, because I hated it that much. And I've seen all of Operation Overdrive!

I didn't like Lightspeed much when I first saw it, but seeing it in reruns later I thought it was pretty good. I think some of its problems come from being the first season to be more stand-alone in terms of story.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Liar Lyre posted:

I think I figured out how to record Skype decently enough and how to publish a podcast (sort of), so if you would like to talk about old episodes of Power Rangers add me on Skype: liarlyresa

Send me a message telling me when you are available (days, times and time zone) and I'll probably pick the first two people to contact me unless there is a major conflict in schedules.

Also if you have previous podcasting experience, hit me up because I barely know what I'm doing.

I've added you as well, my free time is listed in the contact message.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm so glad my worries about Kyoryuger were unfounded, it's been great so far and things are looking up. I certainly wouldn't have expected them to combine space into the newest dinosaur show.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

AzraelNewtype posted:

You didn't? Obviously team Over-Time did. Why else do you think we've had the Fourze based theme for so long? Everything is going according to plan.

No, I thought Dinosaur Samba would have been enough to carry the series but clearly I was thinking inside the box.

EDIT: Hooray, another Purple Ranger who's awesome! This is the best week.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 15, 2013

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've always liked Shallow Urban River and the Lakeside.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's Happening! Forget about Gaim(u) stalker nerd girl is joining the team.

So all Sentai change devices automatically add skirts to the suit when a woman activates one? It's kind of neat to see that again after Gokaiger.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I thought Go-Busters had pretty dynamic mech fights, probably because the little monsters and the megazords were unconnected.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Race Realists posted:

It really is the shittiest Kamen rider in a while. Would you compare it to the second half of hibiki?

Hibiki at least had its opening half to build a few good points out of, Wizard has just been kind of 'eh' throughout. I thought the fights were ok before the Dragon/Infinity win buttons showed up, but the plot's been largely obvious and uninteresting for most of the series. I hope Gaim is better.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Wow, if Kyoryuger 29 isn't the most giffable sentai episode I've ever seen. I hope there's a Carnival for every combination.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The Faiz Gear's super-smooth "EXCEED CHARGE" has always been a favorite of mine.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Rena posted:

Give Zedge a try, either they'll have what you want or you can get something easy enough to chop up. It let's you download the mp3, and I've been able to find sounds for pretty much every Heisei rider series and some before.

Thanks a lot for the info, I finally have the Morphin Brace tone for phone at last!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Honestly, I'd rate Fourze pretty highly just because Switches are my favorite Rider gimmick so far. There was no way they were going to make all 40 of them worthwhile (like Scoop only showing in a daydream sequence in the series) but there were some fun uses and combinations throughout.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Apollove posted:

So what are everyone's thoughts on Ryuki?

I'd recommend it, there's some good character interactions and music.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Can anyone seed the 01-24 SD batch release of Go-Busters from OT? My brother wanted to check out the series and I'm stuck at 89 percent.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
My favorite belt would be the Faiz Gear for looks and sounds, but my favorite henshin is Fourze's. That countdown is just too awesome. :swoon:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Is anyone else enjoying Mitsuhiro Oikawa's "Who's That Guy?" as much as I am? I've had it in rotation pretty much as soon as I heard it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've haven't heard it yet, but it has an amazing title.

Do you not watch the previews at the end of Ninninger or Drive? They've been playing the short version since they started showing the previews for Super Hero Taisen Grand Prix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Cernunnos posted:

I wouldn't really call this early in the series given that we're about halfway through now.

And they were actually doing the whole secret identity thing pretty well IMO.

You think so? I found it kind of strange no one seemed to realize that Tomari drove the Kamen Rider's car everywhere. He'd park it right in front of the station, and it's not like it transformed or anything.

• Locked thread