Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

i am a moron posted:

Oh wow that seems like a totally normal thing for normal, cool people to be fixated on. Good work society
I am in the middle of my very slow 4th playthrough of the whole series, though only 2nd since Siege of Dragonspear came out, and I had forgotten which character had this plotline and honestly missed it entirely when talking to her this time around and had to go back and look it up. Yeah what a thing to decide on as the defining moment of the game

Also while I agree Siege of Dragonspear is pretty good and worth playing, it also has some of the only fights in the series I find more infuriating than interesting. But you can always turn down the difficulty I realize. That was the only way I finished Wrath of the Righteous (probably Kingmaker too) without devoting whole evenings to a single fight, certainly, and it helped me lighten up about doing it in Infinity Engine games. Well a little. Still mostly playing on Insane because if there is any game series I have played enough that I better be good at it it is this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah and that line was fairly egregious even then. Not a lot of that kind of writing to be found (I guess outside of mods)

Unrelated, I'm a fine-lookin' strumpet, ain't I?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I played the first Baldur's Gate this last time explicitly laughing at doing anything efficiently in-universe; I think I was on like day 400 when I finally reached the end of Chapter 5, and I laughed out loud when I realized I had managed to have an entire day pass between "THE ENDGAME IS HAPPENING THIS VERY MINUTE HURRY!!!" and when I bothered to show up to it. Obviously hardly unique to this game but still.

Skipping the first game is certainly a choice I can see someone making, but I love the early game nonsense honestly, especially since every time you restart it seems easier than before. It probably helps that I am irrationally enamored with exploring big fog of war maps. I am going to finally try a solo character run for my next playthrough whenever I get to that, which will surely bring a little of "oh right, low level combat does suck" back into my life though

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shard posted:

I love the trees and flowers in BG1. They are so pretty and make me think of fall.
One thing that really floored me in my most recent playthrough was now good some of the ambient soundtracks are. I was standing in the Gnoll Fortress after killing everything and just appreciating how beautiful the combination of the visuals and audio were. Same with how I sometimes get stuck listening to the nature sounds and watching the fish jumping on the Western edges of the literal Sword Coast screens.

And I am not going to weigh in on the argument about graphics because clearly I am always happy as long as the little drawings look like what they are supposed to be, but this conversation really takes me back to when I first realized just how differently people could feel about what in a game was beyond the pale. This is an actual conversation that was so astounding we still reference it 20 years later when this friend complains about graphics

DR. QUAREX: Arcanum is awesome, you have to check this out *loads game*
ACTUAL HUMAN FRIEND: Oh is this the dwarves with guns game? Awesome!
DR.Q: Here it is, so you start in that zeppelin and--
AHF: Ugh, god, look at that grass.
DR.Q: The...grass?
AHF: How can you even stand to play games this ugly?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This conversation is really helping me reminisce about the argument I had that nearly escalated to a fistfight when my friend dared me in 1997? to name a better-looking game than Mario 64 and I said "well there are literally hundreds of examples but O.K., Myst?"

Polygons were EXTREMELY not my jam, honestly I had a hard time taking 3D games seriously until the mid-2000s because they just looked like a pile of sharp bullshit to me

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shard posted:

I wonder how Dare ok compared to the other children. Like if he made it to the end could he take on the five or were they stronger. I like to think he was second strongest and had the bad luck to run into you first.
I mean Dare O.K. would have probably had a hard time taking out the guy who was literally invincible if not for the One Weird Trick Bhaalspawn Do Not Want You To Know, but I would have no problem saying he was 3rd. Or 2nd if he could have also, you know, done what the protagonist does

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The system of items transferring between the three games has always been interesting to me because it is so much more convoluted than it should be. Did they really think it was going to be too overpowered if you let a character bring in like a chain mail +2 AND a helmet +1 or whatever some of those either/or choices were

And even beyond power level considerations, I remember the first time I played a fighter-type through the series I somehow managed to build him exactly right to be wearing like nothing that transferred (in the dark days when I did use the Internet but mostly for chat rather than assuming I could instantly find anything I was curious about, so I probably did not even realize someone had a perfect understanding of the system)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I kept believing I could find a way to make a wand of lightning useful in 1. If there is something vulnerable to electricity then I think I tried that. Or maybe I just used it repeatedly in a hallway? Still awful of course. I did laugh when I realized I use Aganazzar's Scorcher more than Fireball from those wands though, always looking for a tactical way to hit one jerk it seems

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It has always struck me as exceptionally unusual when the characters that designers allow you to have romantic interactions with are actually the characters you like and want to spend more time interacting with. I think literally the only overlap for me was Jack in Mass Effect 2, even if this was a little outside my general preference to not date mass murderers (then again, all game protagonists are mass killers of some sort). I can fix her

But for Infinity engine games, bleh. I am playing a she-Bhaalspawn on my current runthrough so clearly I should be trying to roleplay her potential interests, but I am surely going to end up hating Anomen even more than usual if he is flirting with me

You probably cannot have a baby as a Bhaalady though huh

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Having a great time with Xzar dual classed into Cleric was a compelling reason for me to watch my reputation level for a long time, I only had enough Helms of Opposite Alignment for Dorn :(

I messed up in every possible way planning my party this playthrough, I love it. I dual classed Imoen and Safana and then realized they were literally the only available thieves for Siege of Dragonspear for the first two chapters

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Flowing Thot posted:

Might I suggest: Hexxat. What is not to love about a lesbian vampire?
You know, that is interesting, I found it literally impossible to allow her to live in my first playthrough but I forgot she was into the Bhaaladies

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I dunno man I still have "ahhhhhhhhhhhh the Githzerai" go through my head on at least a weekly basis, I would say beating the game is worth it just for Tony Jay (no I also love just about everything about the game, I am even the rare Combat Apologist because I love how you can actually feel like a truly powerful melee character for the only time in the Infinity Engine games there [yes I have never played a wizard as a result despite this being the objectively best way to play; maybe I will finally get the Enhanced Edition and give that a shot {further parenthetical <hello>}])

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ginette Reno posted:

It is worth going and talking to the NPCs outside of it asap because one of them is a merchant and you can buy stuff like Firetooth which is real nice to have that early in bg2.
Yeah I remember feeling like I had messed up my game by talking to them too early, or maybe there is just a way to have a conversation with them that locks you out of an option with the keep if you are not paying attention or are not powerful enough to do the first room or something? I am sure somebody knows what I am talking about.

Also I was looking through my phone pictures from last year and realized this is the only thread on the Forums that will definitely understand me being so excited to get to see Ed Greenwood's original map up close

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rappaport posted:

This is just a guess, but the first time you talk to those folks, and (I think?) after you say you'll help them, the dude gives you two items, at least one of which you'll need to access the keep in the first place. If you lose those, you're screwed will have to console them back in.
This sounds right, I sometimes dump everything that seems like it is no longer needed in a central location and I can see myself having done that with a Watcher's Keep item having long since forgotten what it was for, and then being unable to get back to wherever I put it without backtracking hours of saves to the previous game. Though yes clearly just edit it in at that point

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I basically use the tweak pack to make the game incredibly slightly harder by enabling identifying potions and jewelry (I was a Gold Box babby so it makes me smile) and then also removing the XP cap because honestly that is the single thing that bothers me the most across all of CRPGdom so really just please go away, as soon as number stop going up I lose at least some tiny amount of joy from fully exploring the game

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Bards do get 6 skill points/level in 3.5th Edition, but given you are not a tabletop player who knows why you knew that? I suppose Pathfinder follows that too so maybe cross-game knowledge?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was so mad the first time I played through the game that Spellhold was over so quickly. At least my last playthrough I did the exit that entirely skipped the you-know-what area, which I did not even realize until wondering towards the end of the game "wait a minute, when do you go to THAT city again?"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have the world's worst and dumbest question, inspired by firing up my solo character run and trying to go from Nashkel to Durlag's Tower, getting stopped by a random encounter, and finding myself Northwest of Beregost on the random encounter map when continuing to my destination: does anyone actually know the paths the game has you take from one location to another? I feel like the actual roads between the locations would be a wholly plausible graphical mod project (if it actually follows any kind of in-universe logic for pathfinding, anyway).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Arivia posted:

They’re pretty well detailed on the 2e Forgotten Realms campaign setting maps - the actual roads, at least. Wandering into the Cloakwood or into the Cloud Mountains is a wilderness explanation kind of thing.
Oh, that is a good point. I mean I absolutely have at least one set of maps covering the Cloakwood area, and it would make sense if the in-game pathfinding logic just followed those pre-existing maps. I should get one out and check! Thanks for the idea.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slashrat posted:

If you're thinking about how the game technically finds a path between the area you are leaving, and your destination area if that is not an area adjacent to your current area, my impression is that Baldur's Gate 1 uses a node-graph where each area is represented as a single node and lists the surrounding nodes it is connected to. When traveling long distances, it simply finds a path through nodes you have already discovered to get the total distance traveled and determine roughly where you end up in the journey is interrupted.
Yeah that was what I was contemplating; the way you explain it makes sense, I just keep trying to figure out if having more of the map explored actually changes anything or if your party always takes the same path to places regardless of the number of theoretical routes they have available.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am in the middle of my own pre-3-coming-out playthrough (I started after playing the 3 alpha, so I have obviously been taking my time) and Dragonspear's main need to take specific characters, I would say anyway, is to see their storyline through and/or in the case of M'Khiin Grubdoubler to get a bunch of cool loot specific to her Shaman class that you are not likely to be using otherwise (actually and I think some is Goblin-specific, which obviously you cannot otherwise duplicate).

Though this is coming from someone who has never used Baeloth so for all I know he makes something somewhere much easier. Voghlin is also seemingly designed specifically to get around some area's otherwise difficult challenges, if I remember correctly?

Why am I even posting this

Probably because M'Khiin RULES and I want more people to know that, literally the only time I have seen "true neutral" written in a plausible and meaningful way in a D&D game

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pratan posted:

I liked Glint and his insanity better than Jan.
While I do like Glint I could not help but feel like I have absolutely gamed with him in real life in the past which kind of killed the immersion

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah playing through Siege of Dragonspear again right now and I maintain it is less irritating than Tales of the Sword Coast, and has a lot of cool stuff sprinkled throughout even if there are some unfortunate choices as well.

I honestly love the villain's motivation, too, and hope that idea has been explored elsewhere at greater length

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Leatherhead posted:

Oh god yes. Having just done TotSC in my playthrough, I was reminded once again that the only fun part of Durlag's tower is the chess game, and that werewolf island is bullshit.
My first time through back in the day I somehow managed to miss the werewolf island entirely, which probably improved my overall feelings on the game honestly. Then I only hated the Ice Island. And the final boss' instalkill. Well and like half of Durlag's Tower. I definitely liked the XP cap being raised!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Flowing Thot posted:

Just want to say you are wrong about Neera. If you don’t have her in your party when you give her the last ingredient for her potion the quest ends prematurely and you miss out on the last part of it that actually resolves her entire problem.
I definitely appreciated this on my current playthrough, as they did indeed go to the trouble of recording a whole new set of response barks for her character afterward. Definitely thought just getting her the crap and ignoring her was good enough in my first playthrough. Thank goodness I decided to go with a primarily spellcaster party this time

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I posted on SA-Mart when I wanted to start pruning my big box collection and sold like ~50 games with minimal effort for $25+ each, and that was right before the pandemic, so if you posted a quick thread there and said "someone buy all of this for like $500" I bet you would get an offer immediately

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I thought Baldur's Gate I would be fine without a cleric in my currently playthrough, but I started getting annoyed about having to rely purely on potions and resting eventually and dual-classed Xzar into a cleric which actually ended up making him a much more interesting character to me, and now I will probably always use him going forward after Montaron has his own fighting-a-bear-while-naked accident. Especially since I will not need the Helm of Opposite Alignment since I plan to never use Dorn again after this playthrough.

Someone should really mod M'Khiin into Baldur's Gate 2 since, as discussed, she rules and would at least be a Cleric-type

Though it is always interesting trying to put the proper spin on why a lawful good character says the things he does. Just read it as deep sarcasm most of the time and it almost works. I guess except for when he praises his literal demon master

I did finally beat Dragonspear and make it to 2 though, and I think the worst thing about it overall is that you end up with at least double the amount of cool equipment that you are mad you will basically never see again

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Beamdog companions, other than Hexxat, are mostly worthy of criticism in the sense that they are not as good as the best from the original games, not because they are actually bad. Hexxat is actually bad though

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am completing the final phase of like a ten-year journey towards actually using consumables in games by actually using my magical bolts and arrows and bullets in Baldur's Gate ][, like, right away. I am admittedly not using the +3 stuff yet but that is because I already got my rear end handed to me by trying to go to Watcher's Keep first. Goes to show how rusty I am at actual higher-level strategies

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

bike tory posted:

sick poo poo

hosed up you'd even admit this
:cry:

I cannot believe I have done this

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is the first I am hearing of it existing, I even almost posted earlier today about how I thought the only way to play was if you owned a copy of the physical discs (because obviously there is no other way to find games, nope, not a single one).

Is it weird that the reason I had no interest in replaying Icewind Dale was because Icewind Dale II was never going to have an enhanced edition, despite of course the fact that you cannot import your characters between the two anyway

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jay Rust posted:

iwd2 is on gog!
WHAT omg how long have I been blind

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
There has to be a reason I thought it was totally unavailable, I am guessing I just misunderstood when Beamdog announced they could not do an enhanced version of it, I probably assumed it was because the rights were in limbo for digital distribution

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vargatron posted:

The reason they couldn't do an enhanced edition is because the source code was lost when Interplay was sold to another company.
Thanks, that makes sense.

I will find it. Here I go. Gonna find it

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You actually had to do a headshot-style pose ala the original game shots. It was fairly fun, and the winners were both reasonable entries rather than what I expected, entries that everyone who entered would feel they had definitely outdone

I cannot even remember if I actually submitted the reference photo I took of me in a druid hood contemplating a stuffed gorilla

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Both Pathfinder games will just be going along minding their own business playing like solid Baldur's Gate tributes and then suddenly a guy with 10 missile attacks per round kills half your party before you can reach him. I have to hand it to those games, they finally helped me both overcome my aforementioned resistance to using limited potions/scrolls AND my aversion to just changing the difficulty level to easy once in a while if I would rather actually make progress tonight than go to bed after two hours of gaming with nothing to show for it

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am going to go back in time and change how exotic weapons work, where if you do not have the special training for that specific weapon then it is just treated as the same as the closest normal weapon. Like the example of the katana just being a weird longsword, or a spiked chain being a...spiked club?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The most frustrating part is that seemingly Gygax at least genuinely thought he had incredible knowledge of arms and armor and put that into his work, but I guess he really just knew a bunch of terms for polearms

Also it is weird that any characters moved from 1 to 2 other than Imoen honestly, especially remembering they were all tabletop characters

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do have a hard time with casting protective/empowering spells when you get beyond a couple. I am sure pro players do a dozen in Baldur's Gate too but I basically designed my Wrath of the Righteous party to require as few buffs as possible to get by after Kingmaker felt like you needed a dozen spells to start every fight by the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have always felt that until the Pathfinder games D&D-style games always seemed weirdly resistant to just letting you have a single character and a bunch of weirdo summoned monsters following you around all the time. Like, I want a gang of skeletons, why is there no way to just have a semi-permanent corpse horde following you around in most games