Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, but it's your dad's epic ninja bacon joke. it's unix history.

you see, when an unfunny joke gets old, and it's loved by fat greybeards very much, a tradition is born

recursive acronyms are awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw i currently use firefox with neither flash nor java installed. feels good man

youtube is like 99.9% html 5 now. it has been ages since i found an unplayable video

you have to disable flash blocking plugins cause they will cause youtube to think you have flash installed

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

is it enough to just have Firefox set to "ask before enabling flashplugin" ?

that should work

if i absolutely have to use flash i use chrome as previously recommended

everyone should uninstall flash, on windows and osx as well

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

*screenshots and posts to buzzfeed*

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

what is the current least worst desktop/laptop linux distribution

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I really cannot recommend fedora on a thinkpad. this is the worst computing experience I've had since like, the aughts

the only reason I can tolerate this poo poo every day is because it's forced me 100% into the shell.

sounds like ur linuxing properly then

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

YOSPOS: folk's we gotta go back in time and whoop Babbage's rear end

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

c linux status: after a ton of time putting it off i installed fedora workstation for work and side projects on a 8 year old core duo desktop

its kind of nostalgic, it really feels like i am using an os from 1995, i am amazed they got this far

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i want to try out a tiling wm but xfce is very needs suiting

i also need to know of annoying mechanical keyboards which work on this natively

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

i'll never forgive docker and k8s for injecting us with more yaml

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

RHEL8 wants you to use podman and buildah instead of docker. So far it seems better because you don’t need a daemon to build containers.

in what situation do you care about running an extra daemon. is it that computationally expensive?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

xfce is fine in whatever form that installs by default on xubuntu or fedora

like you're using anything besides a terminal or a web browser anyway, maybe vlc or some music thing? whatever

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

does one have to look for recommended laptops or is linux at the point in 2019 where i can get whatever dell or lenovo or preferred x86 laptop is and put linux on it without much trouble?

what's the best laptop that's not a mac?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

those systemd / at what cost unix talks were great

i think i read them in this thread

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've been using vim for far too long to use anything else, and even in intellij i gotta add the bindings for navigation

i use arrow keys though, the hjkl days are long over

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

putty still works

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hifi posted:

i'd rather use perl than python

i am here to start the perl survivors group

python (3, really 3.6+) is much better than perl, and it's here to help you move on

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

unless the reason you like perl is job security, then more power to you

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

one core issue with python is that you had to specify versions twice, going to a recent minor version, to make the recommendation. and that's for a language that's been around since the late 80s.

you couldve said one could only recommend it for the past 4 years of its 40 year history, which is fair as a critique, versioning is a project founder piñata

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

the rough guideline i use for if i need to move from a python project is if i need to, no joke, make another file. if my script is becoming that unwieldy chances are it needs to move to some real language

this is the real correct heuristic but i also give myself leeway at 1k lines of code

if its more than that it should be a real thing

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

basically any of the core unix languages - C, shell-scripts, various DSLs like awk, groff, etc. C++ also, more or less. Also Perl if you're a graybeard or Tcl if you're a circuit hipster

you dont have to care about this anymore unless youre doing embedded

you should care about the perf of your apps but the p lang jvm runtime just doesnt matter a lot

and odds are your bespoke csv or json parser skin for your db doesnt either

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

you can poo poo out bad code in any language and good code in any language

does it pay my bills? did nothing terrible befall someone due to how this was made? ship it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

that distroless thing looks interesting except for the loving name

"serverless" my rear end, i hired a taxi, this is a "Carless" drive

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I love vi/vim and use it every day

Setting nano as the default is good, suck it up nerds

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

is there a good hardware video capture device that's supported decently in linux (fedora or debian if we gotta be specific)? i'd be using obs, and computer itself is kind of old (core 2 duo) but i imagine it could handle 720p encoding/streaming on its own

i should probably test obs without said hardware beforehand as well, but the idea is that it'd ONLY handle the video stream not whatever i'm streaming

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Perplx posted:

https://www.epiphan.com/ is Wendell approved and works without drivers on linux.

thank you, but that looks like a standalone device that also costs as much as making a whole new pc would (3.5k starting) maybe the nano will be cheaper?

quote:

i've heard good things about the flint 4kp

also looks good and also offloads encoding, just gotta check that this motherboard has usb3 (this is a very old pc)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The_Franz posted:

you have to scroll way down the product page for the cheaper ones, although the cheapest ones are still $400+

https://www.epiphan.com/products/avio-hd/

oh cool thanks

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

someone needs to rage out a “dont use ubuntu” post but for debian

main reason afaik is it relies on a committee of nerds, unlike other linuxes such as

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

debian in the streets, fedora in the sheets

“shouldnt admit you have a scat/diaper fetish” is an appropriate dunk here

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hbag posted:

is there something you want to tell us champ

:iiapa:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I'm not a re-reg im an ~*old soul*~

yeah lmao who bought that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hbag posted:

i am unsure how i can prove that im not a rereg

by not caring about it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If everyone used vim we'd be exploring the galaxy, star trek style.

as someone who regularly uses and loves vim, vim is a loving nightmare to learn and i bet most users only use 10% of its actions

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

you consistently get your age story wrong

lurk more

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

matti posted:

weird age cops can also gently caress off

people can and should lurk more when joining a community or organization, especially online

this is called "reading the room" in real life

i blame the proliferation of broadband with the inexcusable transfer size growth of websites but this is the linux thread not the tech bubble thread

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

shoeberto posted:

Not directly related to the convo at hand but does anyone else actually just turn their PC off when they're done for the day? I started doing it for work to force myself to stay more organized.

i do this too

you ever see someone with 100 tabs open? those people don't know how to use bookmarks and refuse to learn

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

i have a bunch of tabs open right now, and i use bookmarks too

all this ram isn't going to use itself

post a screenshot, i wasn't using hyperbole, actual 100+ tabs where the ui point for the tab becomes smaller than the favicon in chrome (firefox and safari have a horizontal scroll when this happens)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Perplx posted:

the linux gui stack being abstracted in the name of 'freedom' to independently swap the display server, compositor, and desktop environment is why it will always suck

this is why people use distros rather than roll your own, which sucks in a different way but is less worse

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

can never say "its not for me" online in 2021, especially in linux

you're either Right or Wrong, it's in the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

since when can you choose the filesystem type with a docker/podman image?