Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, if you rich people hate paying tax so much, you're ~free to choose~ another income quintile to be in if it sucks so bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"Those janitors should just put some of their capital on the line and take a risk by starting a business. It's pretty simple. " - A university business lecturer

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Haters Objector posted:

"Those janitors should just put some of their capital on the line and take a risk by starting a business. It's pretty simple. " - A university business lecturer

Poe's Law right there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I say, why don't these poor people just inherit some money?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

a group of people who chose to get off their rear ends to take a risk, had luck on the side of their effort and are now being vastly rewarded for it.

Who of course create wealth out of thin air by dint of nothing but their Randian intellects, and not from a fundamentally stable and productive economy full of people with both the confidence and disposable income to consume driven primarily by government spending. Not only that, but money also does not have marginal utility and a rich person paying 30% of their income is exactly the same as a poor person paying 30% of their income.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The tax take just represents how much of the wealth has gone to the top quintile.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"I only know how to pay people to make new alloys" - Hank Rearden

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
What's the vale of not being murdered in your sleep by starving people trying to steal your food? I'm pretty sure that should be factored into the calculations.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I propose we hereby stop discussing income tax as the percentage taken from a group, but the amount remaining after tax adjustments for each group. Normalise it to hours worked. Anyone got the numbers? It'd be interested to see how much skill differential the free market declares there is between various careers.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

What's the vale of not being murdered in your sleep by starving people trying to steal your food? I'm pretty sure that should be factored into the calculations.

As long as you can pay one group of the poor with the hope of becoming moderately well off to guard against the other, you're coming out ahead.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

open24hours posted:

Does anyone seriously have a problem with the rich paying most, or even all, tax? Seems pretty reasonable to me, it's not like anyone is forcing them to remain rich.

The argument from a neoliberal perspective is that by placing too much of the tax burden on the wealthy you're PUNISHING SUCCESS and stopping the wealthy from putting their vast intellects towards the generation of economic growth, lowering quality of life and overall revenue.

If you tax that JOB CREATOR half of his profits, then he won't work as hard creating jobs and won't hire a new person to work. Lower his tax, and he'll create more jobs, which makes more productivity and growth!

This of course completely ignores that "job creation" is demand-driven, not supply-driven, and that the amount of employment in the economy at any given time is an equilibrium function of the amount of consumption, on which the influence of profit-based taxes is slim, at best. If your business has the capacity (and indeed, necessity) to expand, a point where hiring a new employee will create profits, the amount on which you're taxed on that profit doesn't really matter. Whether you keep 80%, 50% or 20% of the profit, YOU'RE KEEPING THE PROFIT, and the taxes will be used to drive more consumption.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

One day I hope to be smart and hard-working enough to sit in a boardroom and watch powerpoint presentations about how outsourcing my company's manafacturing division to Chittagong has improved unit profitability by 17%

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The argument from a neoliberal perspective is that by placing too much of the tax burden on the wealthy you're PUNISHING SUCCESS and stopping the wealthy from putting their vast intellects towards the generation of economic growth, lowering quality of life and overall revenue.

It's an argument, sure, but it's one that we can pretty safely discount.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

One day I hope to be smart and hard-working enough to sit in a boardroom and watch powerpoint presentations about how outsourcing my company's manafacturing division to Chittagong has improved unit profitability by 17%

what i really like is how kids growing up in disadvantage and without access to good education or a stable support system that enables them to take advantage of good education are written off as "just not as smart or talented"

seems fair to me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Guys, why do I have to pay for third party insurance to get my car registered? If someone gets hit by my car, it obviously must've been their fault for not having the skill and drive to get out of my way. Why should I have to pay to fix up the cars of these lovely drivers?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Note that there is a neoliberal solution to the paradox of the very real fact that government spending drives growth combined with the belief that increasing taxes lowers growth - fund it with debt. As long as the payments on debt are lower than the rate of economic growth, you're golden (well, up until you run headfirst into the physical and environmental limits on economic expansion, but as we all know they don't exist).

That, of course, presupposes that a) your tax revenues grow linearly with economic growth, and b) that you are politically and practically able to manage a certain amount of government debt.

Of course, no party would be stupid enough to slash a bunch of taxes, decoupling revenue from growth, and attack the neoliberal economics of an opposing political party on the grounds of surplus and debt for so long that the concepts become engrained in the public zeitgeist and create an uncontrollable rhetorical beast, destroying even their own ability to employ debt economics to drive the economy, right?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Bifauxnen posted:

Guys, why do I have to pay for third party insurance to get my car registered? If someone gets hit by my car, it obviously must've been their fault for not having the skill and drive to get out of my way. Why should I have to pay to fix up the cars of these lovely drivers?

The real question is why don't we have universal car insurance.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

what i really like is how kids growing up in disadvantage and without access to good education or a stable support system that enables them to take advantage of good education are written off as "just not as smart or talented"

seems fair to me

Those kids should have thought harder about being poor if they wanted to grow up to be an investment banker, adjunct lecturer in accounting and finance, fellow of FINSIA and all-round financial whiz/nice guy, I guess.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Just found some youtube videos of one of my man crushes, David Mitchell talking about the idea of sustainability and burden of proof. Both are well worth a watch only a few minutes in length each.

Sustainability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syii9DKnb2M

Burden of proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI5ulKiZAoE

Sorry I just wanted to break people away from Hypation's poo poo-and-run

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 30, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

A self made man.

If the argument is so open and shut why aren't either my own blog or Matt Cowgill's being directly argued against? C and P ing some Lolberterian rubbish might seem like a compelling plan but how about we actually get some analysis and/or debate happening?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

SynthOrange posted:

If there is a demand for it, the free market will support refugee agencies!
:goonsay:

Unless it involved boycotting the business interests of an Important Election Campaign Donor. Because we can't have that going on.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Ragingsheep posted:

What about those who got lucky in life being born to rich parents?

Here is the BRW50 young rich list. How many are rich due to inheritance vs entrepreneurship?
http://www.brw.com.au/lists/young-rich/2013/

How many people who were born from rich parents actually made a significant contribution to the increase of the family fortune?

Besides when it comes to getting a job, straight HDs beats your daddy (almost) every time. Even so given the importance of education as a lever for social mobility I'd be expanding HECS so that you could capitalise living expenses as well as fees on it.

Those On My Left posted:

Jesus christ you are an odious prick.

Well that's a rather dismissive judgement ... Quite similar to this one:

Sanguine posted:

I also notice from that report that over half of all income is in the first quintile. I can only assume this means that a person from the top 1 in 5 works more than twice as hard as 4 people from the remaining population combined.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.brw.com.au/lists/rich-200/2013/

Try this list you disingenuous clown car pilot.

Or maybe this one:

http://www.brw.com.au/lists/rich-families/2013/

Also try to actually make an actual argument. I note (for instance) that several of the people on your entirely disingenuous list don't even have tertiary qualifications. Where are their HD's helping them get jobs? Why is a broader tax base better?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hypation, you're being purposely obtuse. Just because a rich person who actually did have some skill and education behind getting there will outperform the trust fund nepotism baby, that doesn't defeat the point we're trying to make. The point is, those nepotism babies exist, and they aren't working at least 8 times as hard as a poor person who has just as much if not more skill than them.

And Sanguine's point was rightfully dismissive, of the loving stupid idea it was criticizing, which you have dismissed the need to make any reasonable defense of.

Go gently caress yourself.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Note when replying to Hypation that he was once banned for being mistaken for a poster who deliberately expressed ridiculous positions for trolling purposes

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

Here is the BRW50 young rich list. How many are rich due to inheritance vs entrepreneurship?

How many of them are rich without having to rely on government spending-driven aggregate demand?

The question of where they made their money is immaterial (although I will guarantee you very few of that list, even if they did not start out megabucks-rich, did not start out POOR). Being wealthy they, by definition, have benefited far, far more than other people from the continued maintenance of the Australian system, the protection of property rights, the administration of justice and the management of the economy, especially the significant amounts of redistributive spending and legislatively-backed high wages that drive consumption in Australia.

Like Open said, if the burden of having to pay taxes on their fabulous wealth is too much to bear, nothing is stopping them from choosing to be poor. Nothing is stopping them from leaving the crushing embrace of the vast protection of the Australian government and fleeing to more open climes, where the burden of society does not hold back their natural abilities, such as Somalia.

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 30, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

A Special Commission of Inquiry into allegations of a cover-up of child sexual abuse claims in the Catholic diocese of Maitland-Newcastle has released findings that are damning of the man who claimed to blow the whistle.

The four-volume report, released by Commissioner Margaret Cunneen SC, uncovered no evidence to show that senior police ever tried to ensure child abuse offences were not properly investigated.

It found Detective Chief Inspector Peter Fox was not a credible witness and that it was appropriate for senior police to instruct Chief Inspector Fox to cease his own investigations.

Welp.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

That is incredible.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Thanks, that's sort of what I wanted, but not the actual thing I remembered reading. I can calculate the numbers I wanted from those tables.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Hypation posted:

All else aside, I love that the top on this list are using 457 visas to 'reverse the brain drain'.

They are hiring non-Australian citizens to fill skilled roles and claiming this somehow is stopping skilled Australians leaving the country.

They have skilled jobs and are pointedly hiring foreigners to fill them. This clearly helps Australians with skills by

I guess Australians don't get enough HDs?

:wtc:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-30/ryan-and-morrow-suspended-over-alleged-racist-remark/5489916

quote:

Grandstand rugby league commentators David Morrow and Warren Ryan have been stood down pending an investigation into an alleged racist remark broadcast on air.

The investigation follows a reference made on air by Ryan during the broadcast of the round 11 NRL match between the Sydney Roosters and Canterbury Bulldogs on Friday, May 23.

Ryan refers to a line in a movie and says "the old darky says, 'someone says quittin' time', he says 'it's not quittin' time, I say quittin' time.' Then he yells out 'quittin' time."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hypation posted:

So the math works by considering the tax burden on individuals which is the tax they pay minus the deductions and rebates they receive. For example, suppose you divide an economy into two groups A and B and:

Group A pays $10 in Tax to the Government and receives $3 in deductions and rebates.
Group B pays $2 in Tax to the Government and receives $4 in deductions and rebates.

The Government receives total tax net of deductions and rebates of: $10 + $2 - $3 - $4 = $5.
That $5 is the amount of tax that the government actually gets and is the amount of tax that the taxpayers actually bear the burden for paying.
Suppose Group A paid 10 dollars tax and recieved none, while B paid 0 dollars and received 10 dollars in benefits.

Since the government doesn't actually keep any money, the tax burden is zero.

Group A is happy to hear this, since they had erroneously thought they were paying tax.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Hypation posted:

How many people who were born from rich parents actually made a significant contribution to the increase of the family fortune?

Besides when it comes to getting a job, straight HDs beats your daddy (almost) every time. Even so given the importance of education as a lever for social mobility I'd be expanding HECS so that you could capitalise living expenses as well as fees on it.

Well that's a rather dismissive judgement ... Quite similar to this one:

The BRW lists aren't a good indication of wealth given that many people actively try to avoid ending on that list but if you have a look at that list itself, most of the people there either worked for rich people or were financed by them.

I'm surprised you think having good marks makes a difference compared to family given that you work in finance as well. The fact that you're doing 60 hours weeks and working and earning money/providing advice for clients richer than you most of the time shows that hard work and intelligence means jack poo poo compared to what people are born with.

No amount of HDs is going to be able to get your a job or provide you with connections compared to if your daddy was a partner at say Blackstone or CVC.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Also, there's the issue about the extent to which coming from a "good family" (ugh) affects your capacity to get good marks. I mean it's pretty dim to say "it's just about how smart or talented you are" without observing that your smarts and talents are cultivated and developed (or not) in your education, and your family's location on the socio-economic spectrum determines what kind of education you get.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hypation posted:

In looking at the tax burden of each group:

Group A's tax contribution is $10 - $3 = $7.
Group B's tax contribution is $2 - $4 = -$2.

Group A pays +$7 / $5 of the total tax take = 140%
Group B pays -$2 / $5 of the total tax take = -40%
To continue my example, if Group A is contributing $10 of a $0 dollar total tax take, then they are shouldering 10/0 = infinity% of the total tax burden.

E: Trying to define the "tax burden" in terms of the percentage of net figures is fairly nonsensical.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 30, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

And if these rich shitheads with all their superior smarts and knowledge and education still can't work up enough mental capacity to imagine "gee, things might really suck hard for me in ways X, Y, and Z if I didn't have this money", I don't see how they expect those inferior poor people to raise their children with any awareness of how to navigate the alien world of corporate culture and become great enlightened risk-taking entrepreneurs.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
While we're debunking myths, here's a few more common quick ones you can tackle:

quote:

"we're paying $1 billion in interest repayments each month!"

quote:

"the $80 billion removed from health and education is just money that was overpromised by the Labor Government!"

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Hypation posted:

:lol: That list purposely only includes self-made wealthy people, ignoramus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nuclear Spy posted:

While we're debunking myths, here's a few more common quick ones you can tackle:

The first one is accurate enough (Table 7). The problem with statements like it isn't what they say, but what context they do or don't have. ~12B / year is 0.8% of GDP and about 3% of government revenue, which is exceptionally manageable.

The second is dodgier. The forward estimates are the 4 year period (current year + 3 more) for which the government / treasury feels pretty confident making predictions (like a 3-day forecast in weather). Many policies are only really sketched out beyond that (for obvious reasons), but there's an underlying assumption that things will continue on trend unless specified. So while Labor didn't explicitly go into full detail on how stuff would be funded and run beyond the forward estimates, there was no expectation or requirement for them to.

The Coalition have flagged massive cuts outside of the forward estimates, and their justification for why doing so isn't breaking a promise essentially "you never asked". The States were clearly surprised about the planned changes, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Scott Morrison is here to set the record straight on why he cut funding to the refugee council

quote:

Scott Morrison says Refugee Council's funding was cut because taxes should not support advocacy
By political reporter Latika Bourke

Updated 14 minutes ago
Scott Morrison Photo: Accused of 'vindictive' cut: Immigration Minister Scott Morrison (AAP: Daniel Munoz)
Map: Australia

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison says he axed funding for a refugee organisation just two weeks after guaranteeing it in the budget because he believes taxes should not be propping up advocacy groups.

The Refugee Council says Mr Morrison's decision to cut $140,000 in yearly funding is "petty and vindictive". The budget put aside the money for the organisation over the next four years.

"It's not my view, it's not the Government's view, that taxpayer funding should be there to support what is effectively an advocacy group," Mr Morrison said.

"They're entitled to be an advocacy group; they do very good work in the community and the Government will continue to support that organisation for contracted services.

"But in terms of administrative funding for an advocacy group, in a tough budget like this, frankly I just formed the view that taxpayer funds were not going to be spent on those types of activities."

He says when the matter was brought to his attention over the past fortnight, he decided the spending was "not consistent with what we are doing in this budget".

"And I took the decision to return the funding arrangements to those that were in place under the Howard government," he said.

Refugee Council spokesman Paul Power says the Department of Immigration called on Thursday to inform them of Mr Morrison's decision to terminate the funding.

"A lot of people are telling us that they see it as petty and potentially vindictive towards an organisation that can often be critical of government," he said.

"It's a very small amount of money that the [Government] is saving, and also the money was allocated in the budget.

"It's really indicative of the current Government's attitude to non-government organisations that are working with refugees and asylum seekers."

Cuts an ideological attack: Greens

The Government's political critics are attacking the decision as nasty and an attempt to stifle dissent.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten says the Government has some "hard explaining" to do.

"This Government wants to cut off its critics," he said. "This is a Government who will punish its critics."

Greens immigration spokeswoman Sarah Hanson-Young says it is a nasty decision and says the Government is trying to "silence dissent".

"These cuts are nothing more than an ideological attack to shut down the views of those who perhaps don't always align with the Government," she said.

The Refugee Council is 33 years old and serves as the national umbrella body for 180 organisations that deal with refugees and asylum seekers.

The federal funding it receives makes up a quarter of its budget, with 43 per cent coming from donations and membership fees.

The council says it will have to "redouble" its fundraising efforts as a result of the Government's change of heart on its core funding.

So there you have it - he did it for his own ideology not even the parties. This is him explaining himself.

Scott Morrison is scum.

• Locked thread