Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Active Raid should be interesting, at least for the handful of people who are Taniguchi fans.

But rather than a mecha show, it looks like a mix of Kamen Rider and Tiger & Bunny with vague shades of Patlabor so far. The writer has done a lot of Super Sentai work and also adapted Spice and Wolf (shame about MAOYU though). Mind you, the official tagline is "Bye-Bye Common Sense!" so there will be crazy/humorous shenanigans of some kind. I hope they provide a better trailer than just the teaser, which doesn't really tell us much else at the moment. The soundtrack should be cool though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF_OiG5NASY / http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ao3wx_active-raid-first-promotrailer_fun

Orange is doing the 3DCG, which is good, and I guess this will be the first original anime for Production IMS so they might aim higher than with their previous LN/manga adaptations.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

I don't get why so many people seem interested in Active Raid though, It sounds like a bad GiTS ripoff. I would watch the PV but it's not available in my country apparently. :shrug:

I didn't realize Ghost in the Shell was supposed to be a tokusatsu series. Nor that Masamune Shirow had a copyright on law enforcement units fighting crime. :v:

Honestly, I just don't see any reason to reach that particular conclusion. Perhaps reading the description in complete isolation from everything else about the show might give you such strange ideas, but neither the key visual nor the teaser trailer support that assumption. It's like how people thought Maria the Virgin Witch was going to be an annoying sex comedy full of cheap fanservice based on nothing but the plot summary (and the name itself, I guess).

PS: Here's a dailymotion link too, since apparently the Youtube video is blocked in certain places as a result of Youtube Red's introduction.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 29, 2015

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

A dark cyberpunk future in which a special Public Security unit does badass things in neo-Japan? It sounds pretty GiTS-y to me. The released images do tell a different story but the description sounds similar enough to put me off.

I don't see much in terms of "darkness" in that future at the moment , not even when it comes to the color palette, nor does the general environment seem to be aiming for cyberpunk either.

The special law enforcement unit in Active Raid is literally going to be called the Special Public Security Fifth Division's Third Mobile Assault Eighth Unit, also known simply as "the Eighth" to avoid repeating that whole thing. To give you an useful point of comparison, Dai-Guard had a similarly ridiculously named unit with the 21st Century Defense Security Corporation's Public Relations Division 2 and that show is certainly nothing like Ghost in the Shell. This doesn't mean it will be good or bad, not necessarily, but just something you shouldn't approach with those curiously unsupported expectations in mind.

And yes, I've already acknowledged that the PV doesn't say much right now, which is why it's more of a teaser trailer than anything else. The first trailer for Maria wasn't too informative either. I am indifferent to the character designs at this time, but the main character's attitude (the website describes him as a guy with a black belt who can be rude and does things at his own pace) combined with the theme song tend to suggest there will be a superheroic mood rather than a brooding atmosphere. More T&B, less GITS.

wielder fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 29, 2015

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Active Raid PV2

For non-U.S. viewers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRmY926Z_ik

Non-region blocked:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3igp8y

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm not a fan of the mecha design or CGI, and the character design doesn't really sway me either way, but I like the premise a fair bit. The last time I had this reaction was for Psycho-Pass, so with any luck Active Raid is even a tenth as good and will thus be worth watching.

Well, I do like seeing the power suits in action. They look fairly dynamic in motion. Orange usually does good work on the 3D, but I know not everyone is a fan of CGI. The girls look a little cute, I guess, but they're thankfully not pushing the potential fanservice angle too hard. The male characters look fine.

It feels less grim and serious than Psycho-Pass though, given the atmosphere, which is why I think Tiger & Bunny is a better comparison. Or even the Patlabor OVA/TV series, for that matter, which always had more room for action comedy than either of the films. Which is alright by me, since we don't exactly tend to get tons of anime of this nature every season.

wielder fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 17, 2015

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

darkgray posted:

Spring show trailer, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGjYjCnkLw

Looks very Titan, which probably makes sense given the studio/director/composer, etc.

If you ever thought Attack on Titan needed more trains and less walls...plus more steampunk samurai.

I am rather ambivalent towards this kind of project, but I'll give them that the production values look pretty.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Nightmare of Nunally is bad. More of the metaphysical bullshit that was one of the weaker parts of R2, a handful of characters stomping everyone else, making characters totally good or totally bad almost at random (Schneizel is good, CC is bad), strategy and tactics being thrown out the window in favor of generic superpower action...

I didn't mind Nightmare of Nunnally myself, either way, but a number of fans do seem to enjoy it.

There's a highly entertaining version of Zero, even though the character itself is less interesting.

Nate RFB posted:

I know a lot of people have come around to Geass R2 but for me the high water mark was those last four episodes of the first season. I was so on board with the franchise at that point and while R2 was entertaining enough it just was never the same. I couldn't muster up any energy for the R2 picture diaries or Akito for example.

I definitely agree the first season was the best part of the show in most respects. I love episodes 23 to 25. That's hard to argue against. Even so, I thought R2 ended very well at the time and still think that today. After revisiting the whole thing a few times and doing some behind-the-scenes research, I am satisfied with the big picture of both seasons beyond any initial frustrations. To put it in a few words, Code Geass is an entertaining over-the-top adventure with a very theatrical direction, a healthy dose of self-awareness for its crazy plot twists, plus a few interesting character dynamics and a suitable arc for its protagonist. You can certainly nitpick some of the writing, in both valid and purely self-serving ways, but that's missing the point.

What I like about Akito the Exiled, which admittedly is not what all fans want to see, is that it's not exactly more of the same. There are a handful of familiar elements and evident nods, to be sure, but it works well enough as a pretty decent mecha action OVA with a relatively different appeal. There's less craziness and more world-building, for example. Kazuki Akane is not trying to copy Goro Taniguchi, but he's an excellent director in his own right with unique interests and priorities. The production delays did drag it down though, but I've enjoyed watching each chapter.

Incidentally, here's the official trailer for Akito 5, the final chapter which will come out in early February (if you live in Japan, that is). Spoilers for everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0LJUhHdU9o

wielder fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 18, 2015

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Which is why Code Geass is the only robot anime anyone should ever watch.

This is wrong and you should feel bad.

As for the gg people...sometimes they were cool and chill folks, but at other times they were trying too hard and just made me shake my head.

Jostiband posted:

One day in the future someone might convince me that scene didn't involve the show's writers pussying out like a bunch spineless babies, but I don't think it's going to be any time soon.

It may not change your mind, but for me the aftermath more than made up for the perceived shortcut they took.

Lelouch killed the woman and dragged her name through the mud, which had extra consequences, so the staff didn't leave him blameless..

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 18, 2015

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't like robots. I don't regret it.

Oh, you're free to personally dislike robots. I am not trying to deny that way of life.

But it's still very silly to preach that to other people. And also very wrong. :colbert:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Valvrave was underwhelming at best and bordering on offensive at worst. I don't hate it like loving Guilty Crown, no, but I won't recommend it either. Both Gargantia and Majestic Prince were ultimately better options for a 2013 mecha series even with their own sets of issues.

More people should watch stuff like Gun X Sword that is similar to Geass in the right ways, rather than the shows that try and fail to be apparent copycats. Which is why Active Raid is probably going to be pretty fun too, and it doesn't need to have a remotely similar concept or premise to evoke that.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

That season was so strange, as the mostly generic Majestic Prince (loaded with Hirai-face!) ended up being much better than both Gargantia and Valvrave. MP was pretty goddamn dumb, but it stuck to its guns and told a coherent story which is more than I can say for the other two.

In addition, MJP had the best use of 3DCG and the most elaborate combat sequences thanks to Studio Orange, which also helps. I would say that Gargantia arguably had the best concept and a couple of memorable characters, but some weird execution dragged it down. I suppose Urobuchi should have directly written more episodes in order to smooth things. The 3D wasn't too great either.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Active Raid is a pretty good action comedy. Very amusing and doesn't take itself seriously.

Nakagawa did some groovy tunes for the soundtrack too.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Don't forget the 3 episode test exists, at least for those who actually feel like making use of it. Say, the first episode was awesome but the second one can suck and you need something to reinforce what way things will go. Or the other way around, I guess.

That said, this clearly doesn't prevent a show from either getting much better or much worse later on. Just gives us a rough metric for its basic quality that's neither too demanding nor too impatient.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Theowulv posted:

The second episode of Active Raid seems to have fixed the show's audio levels. The soundtrack was way too quiet during the first episode.

I sorta like this anime, but I can't help from getting the feeling that I should probably be watching Patlabor instead. I've heard lots of good stuff about that series.

Why not both? I love Patlabor, but I like Active Raid too. They're similar, yes, though not exactly the same.

This new anime is getting a lot closer to Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and other cheesy "special effects" productions.

Which is fine by me, but you definitely need a little of that in your tastes, since Patlabor didn't really go for that angle.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Active Raid was a whole buncha nonsense, couldn't make it thru more than ten minutes of either episode. I feel bad for its soundtrack, cuz it deserves such a better show.

One of the taglines for the show was something like "bye-bye, common sense" so...it's your loss, as I'll get to hear the whole soundtrack. :v: Speaking a little more seriously, I get that this won't be everyone's jam. Fine. It's tied to a specific and formulaic genre, plus one which is both cheesy and old-fashioned at that. But I've enjoyed it as light entertainment and expect to continue to do so. With that in mind, I liked some of the character stuff in episode 2 and the silly gags are amusing.

quote:

Grimgar is sumptuously animated, but that awful, long-winded conversation that closed the pilot nearly obliterated all the goodwill the rest of it earned. Erased is cool tho, and is rapidly looking like the one thing I'll be watching.

The first of those has nice animation and all, but it would be a lot more interesting to me if I were in the mood for some light medieval fantasy. Not right now, though maybe later in the year. As for the other, it's definitely one of the better things this season. Can't really go too wrong with that (unless the original ending sucks, since the anime is apparently going to be faithful).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Active Raid feels a little off to me. It is the same basic premise as patlabor, but unlike patlabor all the outcry about their incompetence seems largely unwarranted.

That seems to be what the show is going for in order to set up more of a general conflict, even if it doesn't blow up in their faces until much later.

They're not as incompetent at being police officers as the media thinks, but they still end up involved in a bunch of wacky situation that cause chaos.

Anyway, the third episode was still entertaining and continued to be amusing, though with a few obvious production shortcuts. The next one seems interesting.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Gunbuster movie isn't too bad, yet I still prefer the OVA series. There are folks who dislike the early episodes and might not mind, but I'd disagree.

I wonder if there are still issues with a specific part of the background music used in the first OVA or so.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Davincie posted:

active raid is a real mixed bag. i like the workplace/cop comedy parts and love how the office slowly gets infected by a bonzai buddy (even if its probably going to be part of the bad guys evil plan) but the mech fights bore me and the villain is of the worst kind possible, a creepy and perverted genius teen

I don't particularly care for the bad guy either (hope we get another one later), but since the mecha are often treated as part of the surrounding joke(s), I think they're okay. That said, I do think better battles will come when they actually need to face more of a challenge. Which might only happen once or twice this season. So far they've been pretty easy.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Killer Queen posted:

Good. I'd love a new BD release, since Aniplex USA's went out of print ages ago. A stream encode that isn't trash (assuming Funimation doesn't renew their rights) would be nice too.

Aniplex is not in any hurry to either re-license or re-release the show though. Just like with a lot of their older titles.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

I've been meaning to watch Baccano, is fund's release really that awful?

Who did the translation? Aniplex translated monogatari at home AFAIK, did they let funi do Baccano for themselves?

No, it isn't all that bad.

The show is perfectly watchable even on DVD as it stands (unless you have problems with the format itself). The dub was also pretty good.

Funimation licensed Baccano! at a time when Aniplex wasn't really doing too much with their own properties. They did keep the BD rights though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, Active Raid was pretty nice this week. Arguably the most Tiger & Bunny-like episode so far. The stakes were a little higher and we got some interesting hints about what could be the overarching plot (that military lady was pretty suspicious). Things got slightly more serious, for those who felt last week was too silly, though still lighthearted overall.

I did notice the weird use of 2D art (as expected of IMS) for the robot suits at times, particularly during a couple of the in-door scenes. I guess they thought it was okay since this wasn't exactly an action-centric episode and the more complex moves were still 3D.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Pretty cool episode of Active Raid this week, at least for those who love classic giant robots.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

...i wish they would like...talk about this whole quicksand thing because that's just sort of there, and I don't get what the significance of it is. i thought when they opened on a scene there it would finally be explained but no

My guess is they're either not going to bother explaining that within the show itself, or only whenever it becomes relevant to the main plot. Which might start happening after a couple more episodic incidents. As for the current episode...I wasn't too impressed either. But the new OP sequence is actually nice by being silly in a fun way. The enemy power suit was also kind of neat in that it reminded me of the Lancelot.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Pretty decent episode of Active Raid this week. The army girl came back and her interactions with garbage man were amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I wish active raid had better writing. But nah, it is pretty bad in general.

For me it's just okay, neither great nor terrible, as a fun distraction. Some episodes are better than others. Like many Tokusatsu shows, except with police instead of heroes.

Which is why I don't feel the need to nitpick the licenses taken by the writing. At the end of the day, it's more interested in silliness than seriousness.

wielder fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread