Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The problem is that occasionally (Amazon) it works. They were losing money for years, IIRC. So everybody looks at that one perfect unicorn and assume their company will be just the same.

Anyone that could read a set of accounts could see that Amazon were never actually losing money as such - the book value of assets was always growing, they were cash flow positive outside of plowing the cash back into expansion and accquisitions, the business plan was solid and it has always been a company with an eye to the future. Amazon really was never a unicorn, it was a properly run business that understood how to make money and then take over the marketplace with that money - wether or not it did it in the Internet didnt matter, the foundations and fundamentals were always strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Klyith posted:

That sounds great but you're using 20/20 hindsight to pick winners between Amazon and Uber. A lot of unicorns fit that pattern. Book value is particularly untrustworthy, Uber's book value is 5 billion or whatever insane number they claim these days. Even if you're not playing games with VC accounting, book value tends to assess intangibles that only hold up if your company is successful.

Thats why you read the entire chart of acocunts, not just pick and choose. Note that I certainly didnt just isolate any one partcular thing - but in Amazon's case the book value did stand up because the rest of the accounts also stood up to scrutiny. There wasnt VC accounting going on - it read like you would expect with grown ups in charge.

I'm also certainly not hindsighting either, whenever the whole Amazon isnt making money thing came up in it's first couple of years of existance, I always pointed to the accounts and what was really going on (might even be in some of my earlier post history here). Uber's books on the other hand..... yeah those read like poo poo.

Amazon and unicorns have always been vastly different for other reason already pointed out but the best one would be simply there was adults in cahrge who set out a proper business plan, there was no missing step then profit BS that unicorns are infested with

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Doggles posted:

Be careful what you say about Elon Musk. He might contact your boss and threaten to sue.

Japolik is full of poo poo bcuase the real story is closer to this as one poster there points out

quote:

Fossi is the lawyer and director for Stewart Rahr’s tax avoidance foundation. Rahr made his billion by scamming the American medical system through overcharging for drugs.

Rahr is one of Trump’s best friends:

http://eqs.fec.gov/eqsdocsMUR/13044334609.pdf

Rahr does have some deep links to the oil industry:

https://www.data.bsee.gov/PDFDocs/Scan/ADJUD/73/73978.pdf

The Rahr foundation likes to bank with the vampire squid and Blackhill capital.

http://www.foundationsearch.com/990/LATEST/2/STEWART%20J%20RAHR%20FOUNDATION%202016%20274275648.PDF

Blackhill has some oil investments, but most of their position seems to be devoted to Williams Sonoma for some odd reason:

https://www.holdingschannel.com/13f/blackhill-capital-inc-top-holdings/

Fossi isn’t some bartender who blogs on the side or even a retired fund manager in Montana keeping busy by getting into internet flame wars. He is a working professional: a lawyer and a fund manager. There is a reason he hid his name and when de-anonymized, shut everything down and stopped posting. His constant barrage against Tesla (including driving a reporter off twitter for daring to write a positive review of the Model 3) could get the SEC to investigate if he was running a “short and distort” scam. That would get the feds sniffing into Rahr’s books, which I’m sure no one at the foundation wants. If Rahr is anything like his orange buddy, I bet those books are full of vulnerabilities.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slanderer posted:

The guy could've tweeted a photo of himself at the gas station and Teslagaters would show this as "proof" that all the (veritably true) poo poo he's posted is FUD from Big Oil.

The post is literally LOOK AT ALL THIS IRRELEVANT poo poo ABOUT HIS EMPLOYERS. All of which is irrelevant, by the way, if you believe all the other comments talking about how his boss loves is Tesla and was an early adopter and Of Course He Should Be Fired For Insulting His Boss's Car!!!

This rear end in a top hat literally posted all his stuff in full disclosure of having a short position lol, and Elon Must called his boss to complain. Tesla's legal department probably declined to do so because it was so loving ridiculous

It wasn't irrelevant and nor was it irrelevant that you had the basics of a "short and distort" scam going on. And nor was it irrelevant the person in question had a history of abusing others that exposed his posts as bullshit. Which was also pointed out and you chose to ignore.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Spacewolf posted:

It also physically does not scale.

The US has 300 million people. (Granted not all are over 18 or citizens but for argument's sake...) Most of the countries that manually count ballots have, what, a fifth of that at most?

It isn't plausible to count 300 million votes from all over a rather geographically dispersed population in anything close to a reasonable timeframe.

Oh bullshit. Mandatory voting in Aust and yet a country as big as the USA usually has the count done 12am from polls closing at 6 pm. Scale? Well the AEC here makes sure there's enough polling places and scrutineers for the relavent electorates. And the postal votes? There's a couple of huge halls.

Every single issue you can come up with for paper voting is easily solved by a competent electoral commission that is interested in making sure every person gets a vote. And yes, Australia is almost always ranked 1 for free, fair and honest elections.

Oh wait, there's the real problem. The USA's various electoral commissions are hosed in the head. Good luck solving THAT

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

I'm sure I am reading you wrong; but are you suggesting that Australia is a similar size to the US? Geographically, sure, population wise, not even close. The US electorate itself (eg, people who voted in 2016) is larger than the entire population of Australia by almost 6x. Electorate to electorate the US is almost 10x as big and only has 50% turnout compared to Australia's 90%. The issue of actually getting people out to vote seems to be divorced from the voting method from what I can tell. In the US the biggest reason I hear from people who don't vote is the feeling that their vote doesn't matter. And not because they feel that the tabulations are jacked or anything; but because of things like the electoral college and first past the post single member districts entrenching a two-party system. Doesn't matter if the US hand counted or not, those issues aren't going to get resolved by changing our tabulation methods.

Australia's size and lack of population density actually makes it harder to get everyone a vote. The USA has 10 TIMES the availible manpower and a greater density to draw from. If a country that is 95% wasteland can do it, the USA can piss it in and hand count perfectly well and perfectly fast. Don't give me these dumb rear end excuses that it's not viable because it drat well is.

The USA doesn't have the political will to make it happen due to your hosed up electoral commission systems. Thats it - you are all putting the cart before the horse. You can have a perfectly good, rapid paper system that is reasonably tamper proof following the Australian model but the first thing that needs fixing ISNT the vote count. It's the gently caress up of how the USA organizes elections in the first place.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

other manufacturers don't need to "optimize" how their brakes work months after shipping the car because they worked right the first time

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeaally?

Subaru's early ABS equipped Foresters would disagree. Thats not the only one either.

Oh if you want a real laugh Subaru just recalled every Ascent made in I think July 2018 because the B-Pillars werent welded

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

Do you have any more information about the early ABS issues? The only thing I find when searching are people who thought ABS was supposed to reduce stopping distance on ice, which isn't an ABS defect but a problem with people being unfamiliar with what the system is for.

The b pillar issue is indeed hilarious but less than 300 cars were affected of which only 9 reached customers. All were completely replaced. I don't think anyone is arguing there are never recalls for other manufacturers, just that they don't pretend they can fix critical glaring mechanical issues with an OTA update.

The ABS systems were badly calibrated so that anything less than perfect road surfaces increased stopping distances ie if you had a bump in the road when braking the ABS would pulse hard and even the correct response to this - bury your foot hard against the pulse - would lead to failure to stop. Pulling the ABS fuse would give you considerably better braking.

Sound familiar? Thats your Model 3 braking problem... calibration of the ABS was out.

A lot of issues that get recalls that seem to be hardware are in actuality software control related like a seat tensioner recall some did not long ago. Modules get replaced physically as most car makers just havent gone as far as Tesla have in making everything reflashable. So thence in a situation where say BMW had a problem with taillights that wouldnt work as required that was a physical recall... Tesla have gone a step further and the same issue can be fixed OTA.

Wether thats good or bad Im not commenting on.... this is about Tesla have deliberatly chosen to control more subsystems in a way that can be managed OTA rather than requiring physical module changes and ODB2 reflashing for ECUs

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

muon posted:

There are multiple CAN buses in any vehicle, connected by gateways that filter messages. Infotainment systems are not connected to the engine CAN bus except on poorly designed vehicles.

Name what you think is a well designed car. Then have a wander to AI and recoil in horror just how bad that car and its maker are at security.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

I could be naïve here

Yes

muon posted:

Security is extremely difficult to do well. Adding a CAN gateway is not, like Bosch probably has a ready-made— and so they do

I refer to the previous point I made. There is more than enough evidence car makers are loving awful and make utterly insane design decisions, usually due to accounting pressure constantly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What does that mean though?

His post is obvious. Yours on the other hand can be summed up by that because holy poo poo what the gently caress that was literal word vomit

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Reading two posters argue against the fact that bitrot exists and technical obselence effectively makes data unreadable is making my head hurt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

Wow and real life rot exists with books and vast swathes of them are literally unreadable by the average person. So how about you make a real point?

You really just dont even try to post a) in good faith or b) with any knowledge.

quote:

You're not going to be able to read a NTFS formated SATA disk in 2080 without some digital archaeology

I have well stored disks formatted in NTFS that are IDE that I am already having issues with. Thankfully I dont rely on single backups and the data was also elsewhere. Every floppy disk is already a mess and just LOL if oyu think I can read them. CD's - Welll..... some work?

But then again I'm not a complete idiot so I persistently swap formats and keep backups up to date. But every one of my books is perfectly fiiiiiiine no matter how old or abused.

quote:

Ok I guess even smaller concepts:
You lose books if something really bad happens. Fires, floods, thefts.
You keep digital if a miracle happens.

Stop equating the two.

I was thinking about "But if you actively curate your digital data" buuuut... yeah okay you have a point. It only takes one drop and the SATA drives are headcrashed. Or I dont power the SSD's. Or any dozen likely scenarios like the online provider goes out of business that lose everything.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

Absolute nonsense.

Magnetic tape was first used as recording in 1951. 68 years ago. Punch cards were used to program, not as data storage.

The rest of your insipid crap has already been addressed as false. Once again you just dont know a thing you are talking about and you are posting in bad faith.

Yes I know its Fishmech and I shouldnt reply to his crap. I apologise

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

Not sure why you're interested in lying about computing history like this, you seem like someone who went to a museum once and that's the extent of your understanding.

When you try to engage in good faith I will bother expanding on a quick shitpost point and any history actually using paper and tape for mainframes that will show Im the one that belongs in a museum

VideoGameVet posted:

From 1980 to 1982 I was a game developer for the popular computers of the day (Atari 800, Apple II etc.). The cassette tapes and floppies were less than reliable. I did at one point, dialing into UNH's DEC-110, backed up the source for a game onto punched cards.

Now on the other hand.....

In case what I was more referring to is the more traditional punch card batching with output / storage to tape. The claim that Fishmech was trying to make was patently absurd esp with tapes being such a prevalent datastore pretty much from the beginning of Big Iron esp IBM formats. Sure punch and paper have been used alongside and I used it going back to the mid 1970s. gently caress sorting a pile of cards if some doofus dropped them..... part of my first job after high school was batch card processing and archiving. Which got interesting if you had to refer to something created three years prior.

Annnnd oh boy do I hear you on the problems of cassettes. I really hated trying to work out my own Space Invaders or Joust clones all for ten minute attempts to save go wrong. I think I even have some of those tapes around....now I kinda wonder if the old Microbees still boot? I know my old Apple II disks are unreadable thinking of bitrot

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So not true. I worked with a sociologist on a survey in the 1980s, and he pointed out that his data sets on punch cards lasted decades, while his data sets on magnetic tape had to be re-copied every few years because of changes in tape formats.

My next post in reply to VideoGame Veteran shows I know that :). That will explain why it was a quick poo poo post deliberatly short on nuance but highlighing Fishmech is a bad faith posting fuckwit who had no idea mainframes have been using magnetic media since the beginning

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

LOL that bad faith poster and OOOC are starting up again? And even on the same subject they got ruthlessly keelhauled about last week?

MickeyFinn posted:

If you want to talk about how the tech industry as a whole doesn't give a single poo poo about consumer privacy, and in fact preys upon it, then they look like two sides of the same coin.

Pretty much this. Tech companies make a godawful amount of money off user data and these "mistakes" they keep making .... yeah well you could have in good faith argued it was honest mistakes a few years ago but given it keep happening over and over again, it's either incompetence on a level that is pretty much unbelieveable or it's completely deliberate and the tech companies are scrambling to find excuses

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

I don't have "limited" knowledge about it

Exactly, you have absolutly zero knowledge and you keep proving it over and over again.

You really are a bad faith poster and should always be treated as such.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

Lmao, silly me, I didn’t realize bumpers that fall off when they get wet Don’t Matter

The point he was making - and that people with actual industry knowledge knows too well - that the issues Tesla have are in fact common across the entire industry and I can name half a dozen dumb gently caress things "established" car makers do that go by without comment, while every tiny bit of unsubstantiated report of a Tesla gets breathlessly reported over and over again.

Like Subaru *literally* didn't weld the B-Pillars on the 2018 Ascent. They are recalling 2000ish Outbacks for faulty welds due to something didnt get cleaned. The BRZ is being recalled due to incorrect valve springs. Mercedes regularly have bumpers torn off in the rain or motors grenade. Want a new high performance Alfa? Better hope the diff doesn't explode, you wont get a replacement for at least a month. And oh hey Hyundai are having engines starve themselves of oil. Tape issues? LOL hi there GM, let alone the scandal of the faulty steering locks. BMW? Oil starvation issues, electronics issues. And god help your wallet fixing that out of warranty

Or how about those dry plate DSG Ford Fiestas that randomly go into neutral and there has never been a fix found - and that issue was well known BEFORE the car was released?

And while not specifically a car manufacturer issue the whole Takana airbag gently caress up is truly a gently caress up that might STILL take a decade to fix.

Tesla are certainly below average quality but they are arent a unique disaster.... or even THAT much worse.

Their logistics issues were pretty drat funny tho and a proper fuckup.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ryonguy posted:

Did any other CEOs headbutt a car on the assembly line because they hate safety standards?

In a industry that includes Chrysler, Ford and GM let alone the famed British car manufacturing sector and the so well known for being honest with diesel emissions VW along with such legendary caring CEO's like Roger Smith - what do you think?

(There might be some sarcasm in the above)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

Dude, they knowingly put perforated batteries in cars where you can’t open the doors if your battery lights on fire. Then SWAT’d the dude who blew the whistle, and turned off their system for tracking parts so no one could blow the whistle again.

Mate we haven't even gotten warm with the fuckups and wrongs of the car industry. That was literally what I pulled out of my head in five minutes with doing a seconds worth of checking - Tesla aint anything special, you really think GM or Ford don't go nuclear on whistlebowers? Or deliberately and knowingly install electrical systems that shutdown and lock people in cars then furiously cover it up - or even worse in GM's case the cylinder lock jammed the steering on freeways so the driver basically had no chance to steer? It's an industry that is dragged kicking and screaming to make cars that didnt impale you through the chest or turn large suburban areas into airborne chemical swamps. Or how about cars that can have their braking and steering system tampered with via the infotainment? Tesla are barely a drat speed bump in the long long long line of car industry shitbaggery, they are in no way uniquely awful. Yeah sure people here don't want to hear that because it goes against the narrative but come on. Have a dig and just read about the long history just how loving bad the industry really is - for fucks sake even today right now they are balls deep in oil and gas lobbies trying to utterly gently caress us all with climate change. Do you think they don't spend millions trying to buy laws that favor themselves and dilute proposed standards? Hell, why doesnt the USA have decent public transport? One good reason is the Big Three have been lobbying hard against it for years

And this is an industry people are trusting to bring out Autonomous cars????? gently caress no, this is an industry you should trust about as far as you can drop kick an F-150.

I was about to say the Japanese are better but then I remembered in 2000 Mitsubitshi got caught covering up safety defects

quote:

Mitsubishi Motors’ propensity for trouble, current and former employees say, is partly the result of an insular corporate culture that never fully absorbed the lessons of its last major scandal back in the early 2000s. The company covered up safety problems and ignored customer complaints that resulted in unsafe vehicles being left on the road to avoid the embarrassment and costs of recalls.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/05/19/business/corporate-business/mitsubishi-motors-scandal-accident-waiting-happen/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2016/04/22/editorials/mitsubishi-motors-cheating-scandal/

And yes those defects did kill car occupants.

So yeah I'm not going to single out Tesla as being uniquely awful - they have a long way to go for that. I'd say it's far more just another exclaimation point on a very long line of reasons the car industry has been a blight

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Have you heard of headphones as a service?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/headphones-as-a-service-exists-now-thanks-to-manufacturers-nura-3710648

You have now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

It's both.

Every independent-contractor delivery app puts its workers under insane pressure to hit metrics that are essentially impossible to make if their employees free and independent contractors follow the law.

Also, most drivers are somewhere between ignoring the rules of the road when they see a bike, and actively lusting for cyclist blood.

I'm quite familiar with a lot of those delivery riders (mostly because I'm a commuting cyclist). Frankly since the pandemic started cycling around Sydney has gotten considerably easier and safer. There is simply not the volume of traffic and there has been a real push to put in extra cycling infrastructure in places where it was desperatly needed. Drivers have been in the main far more considerate and observant of cyclists too so it's not a bloodsport to cycle in Sydney anymore. The crazy idiot rule breaking cyclist have been replaced by a larger number of law abiding not reckless commuting cyclists so visibility is way up. So if anything, cycling accidents should be down even witth he increases in cycling activity

The delivery riders have increased too but these riders are noticably problematic. Many are not particularly skilled cyclists on heavy hard to hand e-bikes with heavy backpacks. A number also ride on multi lane roads that most commuters and experienced riders wouldn't even dare even on the best of days. It's noticable delivery riders as the ones who regularly break traffic rules. Many of these riders I think are foreign students who would be normally working other jobs that arent availible at the moment. So you have a group of riders who are not familiar with cycling in Sydney, are not obeying formal road rules and informal rules commuting cyclists have learned. Also on top of that, the weather has been windy and wet. Oh and commuting cyclists are going to be more sticking to cycling infrastructure, delivery riders don't have that luxury - like their GPS is telling them to take Parramatta Road because thats the fastest route and they dont know any other way while a commuter with years knowledge would be OH gently caress NO I'm going via Harris and Drummoyne.

While I believe some of these riders have been found on the face of it to be at fault for the accident, you should not (I dont) dismiss "Yes well they did the wrong thing so...." - there is something else going on that is pushing these delivery riders to make mistakes. There is clearly something not right in how these delivery riders are trained (Do they even GET training???) and monitoring that they are remaining safe while doing their job. There is clearly something not right in making sure the delivery riders are competent riders. And there is def something not right in making delivery riders have heavy and large back packs that must be a right gently caress to have on your back on a bike in crosswinds.

So here's my take. It's delivery companies who dont give one iota of a poo poo about employing unskilled riders working on unfamiliar roads in adverse conditions with poo poo equipment and demanding they make unrealistic metrics that leads to so horrible risk taking and accidents that your core problem. And I aint seen anyone say poo poo about how to fix it, except the same loving handwringing "Oh what a tragety"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Jesus Christ we really need some regulations on cars to strip out all this unnecessary electronic poo poo that doesn't do anything except jack off tech bros and make cars more unsafe in a variety of different ways, to their drivers, pedestrians, and other drivers. And while they're at it they should regulate the size of trucks and SUVs to reasonable levels so that they aren't perfectly sized for not being able to see children or animals darting in front of them.

This loving stupid rear end car brained country sucks poo poo

Welcome to the Automotive Insanity resistance

JFC I hate the current crop of average vehicles right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kyte posted:

The price for that is worse gas mileage, less safety and more pollution.
Yes, all the doodads inside the cabin are useless, but stuffing computers into the engine has been an objectively good thing.

Absolutly none of the "easy to work on and last" precludes engine bay electronics or better pollution controls or safer in a crash.

Simple.... yeah I'll give you that one abeit some 30+ year old cars are truly hosed in the head to work on in ways some modern stuff cant achieve and TBH some modern cars diag abilities make them way easier to work on esp when they work with cheap scanners. The ones that need special equipment to diag can gently caress the hell off.