Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Poor Krillin. Even 18 was making GBS threads on him after he got knocked out.

I got sad because 18 would have gotten knocked out almost immediately last episode without Krillin to save her so I was hoping that she'd yell at 17 to shut up and focus on his own fight instead of talking poo poo alongside him. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Onmi posted:

It would suck so much to build up so many characters to just erase them at the end of this arc. And like... Marketing would argue so hard against it.

This is basically why I'm in the tank for "the inhabitants of all the erased universes get merged into the winning universe to make one big mega-verse", since it allows Zeno to keep to the rules of erasing the loser universes without having to delete all of the new characters while also simultaneously opening up like a trillion new potential plot hooks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Covok posted:

Perhaps. I mean, can we un-erase a universe? Is that a thing? Like, Universe 9 was wiped out.

You know, while most of them sucked, I did kind of Bergamo.

We've seen that Whis has a pocket universe inside his staff that he can arbitrarily send people to like when he sent Goku and Vegeta to train, so it's entirely possible that instead of deleting everyone from U9 the Grand Priest just kind of shuffled them off somewhere for the time being while having all of the angels smug out and look super evil and self-satisfied to encourage everyone remaining to fight even harder for Zeno's amusement because HOLY poo poo THESE GUYS ARE SERIOUS. If everyone knew that they and everyone they knew or loved would survive the ordeal, win or lose, they might not put their all into it; hell, the U9 people called their own universe a trash dump so they probably would have jobbed on purpose! Keeping everyone alive would also make sense because it would make sure Zeno has a large supply of fighters to fight it out for his amusement in the future. Also, it would be sort of weird to put an absolute no killing rule in place in a tournament where every team who loses is worse than dead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Momomo posted:

Every time someone mentions then teleporting universe 9 somewhere I feel the need to mention that Future Trunks no longer has a universe because of Zeno. I don't think they'd show us that he plays for keeps like that, just to have him pretend to do it later.

Future Trunks's universe was a hosed, dying wasteland with pretty much no one actually left alive and no hope or future. It was also infested at its most elemental level by an insane genocidal manchild god, who was so powerful that he was beginning to bleed over into other timelines and realities to gently caress them up too; remember that the U7 folks in the present day started seeing crazy laughing Zamasu faces.

It's a little different.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jedah posted:

To be able to watch Cabba go SSJ and then copy it immediately, and then to see Goku's SSJ2, and copy that immediately, requires a certain kind of intelligence. Maybe not traditional Bulma/Gohan research & book smarts, more like possessing strong instincts and extremely high combat intelligence.

It's pretty much completely identical to Goku's ability to instantly copy techniques he's seen once or to instantly figure out how to beat enemy techniques that leave other veteran fighters completely flabbergasted.

Her watching Goku go SSJ2 and then figuring it out immediately is basically the same thing as Goku copying the kamehameha after seeing it for the first time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

I liked how she asked Goku about the tingly back thing and he absolutely knew what she was talking about.

I wonder when he figured that out. I bet he never mentioned it to anyone. Not out of malice or anything, just because it wasn't relevant when every existing Saiyan he knew was already a super Saiyan.

It would make sense that he figured that out when he and Gohan were in the time chamber before Cell, because it was a big thing that they were working on staying as super saiyans indefinitely to reduce the strain of the form and it's pretty impossible to be super angry literally all of the time. It just never came up after that because literally every other fighting Saiyan at that point already knew how to go and remain super saiyan on their own.

E: Hilariously, Goku nodding when Caulifla mentioned the back tingles means that Goku figured out the muscle group trick and Vegeta didn't and Goku never mentioned it to Vegeta, since Vegeta teaches Cabba to go SSJ by goading him into a rage and then tells Cabba to remember that feeling any time he wants to transform. This also implies that Vegeta still goes SSJ by getting really loving angry every time, which is entirely in character for Vegeta.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 29, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

For a team that's supposed to be big on teamwork, the five Pride Troopers in this episode sure did a lot of standing around watching their teammates attack instead of actually helping each other. There was the duo attack and then the final combined beam and the rest of it was Kahseral smugging it up about how the Pride Troopers are awesome before getting dunked on. A little disappointing.

My favorite part of the episode was 18 simply because of how completely stone cold she is. It was like a case study in why Goku and Vegeta are written to be stupid/arrogant/prideful because if you coupled their insane power with 18's practicality a lot of fights would be over really fast.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nessus posted:

That Pride Trooper guy couldn't sense 'em either. I feel like they're going to have some kind of larger role in the end. Maybe the Angels are also Androids, or something similar? If #17 wasn't married he'd be the logical next GOD, really.

17 would be literally a perfect GoD candidate. Besides the basic fact that he's enormously strong and completely inexhaustible, he's also shown to be immensely dutiful(not wanting to leave his island unprotected even for a day even in the face of universal annihilation), results-minded(he's mostly concerned about how to win rather than how to have fun fighting), mostly uninterested in material rewards, and emotionally detached(willing to let his family get erased if that's what the universe wills). These are all really ideal traits for someone whose job is supposed to be evaluating what planets need to be pruned for the good of the universe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheHan posted:

Yeah but that's still in his own universe, he seems to have trouble getting to Beerus's planet so there's definitely some kind of limit.

He can only teleport to ki sources he can sense relatively strongly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Is there anything stopping Goku from instant transmissioning back to the living world when he is dead? He can go the other way around, and dead people seem to exist fine in the living world with their halos.

I suppose its more a matter of Goku hating his friends and family. He abandoned his family to train Uub, when he could very easily just teleport (or heck even fly!) back home for the night.

Presumably it doesn't work like this, since Goku had to ask Baba for help and King Yemma for permission to bring Freeza back, as opposed to simply teleporting to hell and prison breaking him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jedah posted:

I got the impression that was Goku needing their permission to release Freeza from his punishment in hell, and that they had the ability to free Freeza for 24 hours. But I won't pretend to know how this works.

If he just randomly decided to release Freeza from hell without notifying anybody, Beerus would probably catch wind of it (from one of the Kaiohs), and erase him on the spot. Don't you think?

Yeah, that's what I mean. Goku actually went through the process instead of saying "Hey let's add Freeza to the team" and then teleporting to hell and bringing him back, which implies the process is actually necessary instead of instant transmission making you immune to being dead.

Rutibex posted:

I assumed he was just being polite.

Since when has Goku ever been polite about overcoming obstacles between him and a fight?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Burkion posted:

I'm going to be very upset if Toppo and Freeza don't face off.

That would be absolutely perfect.

Toppo meeting Freeza would either make him realize that he's read things wrong and that Goku is what passes for a good guy in U7, or it would push him over the edge into believing that U7 is entirely a benighted sphincter of evil.

Or both.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Yeah that is weird, everyone would just assume he's talking to Gohan.

Piccolo always calls Gohan Gohan, as is the right of the surrogate father.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I love how this tournament has been working really hard on making up for 17 and 18 basically not existing in the plot for so long. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HGH posted:

It only just occurred to me but 17 not wanting to let opponents transform might go back to what happened back during the Cell saga. It's kinda morbidly ironic in a way.

I think it's a lot simpler than that. 17 and 18 don't really have any time or patience for people pulling their poo poo this tournament; they're in it to win it, not to show off or have a fun fight. Both of them have been pretty consistently and brutally practical in all of the fights they've been in so far, and beating up your opponent before they have a chance to get stronger is just par for the course.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nessus posted:

Eh it makes sense that they wouldn't be considering fusion until like the very last possible moment. In the current system a fusion might just mean they get rung-out 2 for 1 by some random bullshit that does nothing but massive knockback. This leaves aside the question of Vegeta hating to do it.

Goku also isn't super fond of it and typically only wants to resort to it if the chips are down and every other option is completely exhausted.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Vegeta's response to that would be hilarious.

Vegeta openly acknowledging that he's jealous that Goku is cheating on him with other fight rivals is always loving fantastic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd buy it given what we've been shown in the anime. Goku was able to do some funky rear end poo poo while SSG like instantly repair a gaping hole punched through his torso(that would have helped in RoF!) and punch Beerus so hard it was making universe-shattering shockwaves. Blue has never done anything quite that nuts on screen, with the closest thing to being that wacky being Blue Kaioken straight up no-selling Hit's gimmicks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tbp posted:

thats def not gohan

i dont think SSG will end up being stronger than SSB mainly because that'd be such a dramatically different story beat difference btwn the manga and anime. like ofc there have been differences, yeah, but nothing that huge.

also when did goku heal the wound in SSG? i only watched the movie and skipped a lot of the anime episodes, but i might not be remembering even if it happened in the movie lol

In the Super adaptation, at one point Beerus gets bored with Goku because Goku isn't putting up enough of a fight, so he punches a hole in Goku's torso and sends him plummeting into the ocean from orbit. Goku muses internally about how excited he is that there's someone as insanely strong as Beerus out there and how something inside him is refusing to let him give up, the wound is covered in his red/gold flame aura and vanishes(with the hole in his gi still there so you can clearly see that the wound is gone), then Goku recovers and bursts out of the ocean and flies back up to orbit in an instant to continue fighting. Beerus is impressed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

yeah the big end-of-arc battles so far are

Beerus: Conceded
Freeza: Goku wins but only by effectively killstealing from Vegeta
Hit: Conceded
Fused Zamasu: Trunks kills his body and Zeno kills everything else

outside of the one-off episodes Goku hasn't won a whole lot so I dunno where this is coming from

Goku doesn't even have a good record in one-off episodes. He didn't even get to beat Fake Vegeta.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The 0 views really sells it. :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

I guess U11 is gonna be down to just Jiren and Toppo after next episode.

I guess at least Dypso and the other guy are going to put some wounds on Hit and be taken down by Goku in a 'new'ish form but still a pretty disappointing showing so far for what felt like it was supposed to be the actual antagonist group of the section of the show

Also with the Yardrat's elimination this episode, Universe 2 is now the group with the third most Eliminations in the entire tournament at 2, behind 7, 6, (I have no idea what these are even at, 7 is well over 10 and 6 is probably close to 10) and directly above 9 with 1.

Jiren and Toppo have been pretty much the only Pride Troopers who the show has been trying to sell as a threat for any real length of time, so it doesn't really surprise me that the rest of them are getting dunked.

I actually want Jiren to do something besides fold his arms and stare menacingly and maybe throw a single energy ball before loving off, because right now he's just a way less interesting and cool Hit to me. I care a lot more about Toppo because we got to see Toppo have a whole cool fight with his own unique fighting style back in the U9 vs U7 tournament, but Jiren hasn't made me care yet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

From a narrative standpoint it sort of makes sense, as they're clearly being targeted by the other universes because "this is Goku's fault."

Also it's been made painfully clear that U7's general fighting power is miles ahead of the the general fighting power of the vast majority of the other universes. Goku and Vegeta fought almost the entirety of U9 on their own and pretty much stomped on them with minimal effort, not even needing to bust out their actual tricks to dunk them all. The Androids have spent the last several episodes demonstrating pretty much effortless superiority, Freeza's only appearances so far have been showing off how he's so far ahead of most of the competition that he can intimidate them into submission without even using Golden form, and that's not even touching on whatever Gohan's been cooking up. Hell, Piccolo is probably way ahead of most of these guys, since he singlehandedly beat one of the last remaining fighters from U10 nearly instantly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darko posted:

Universe 7 needed everyone to shine somewhat because they are the main characters and everyone wants to see their favorites do *something*. The eliminations will probably start in a couple of weeks, and probably quickly after they begin. This is basically the prelims and round 1s of the Budokai.

Same reason that Winnie the Pooh is the only character eliminated from his universe so far.

Yeah we're in the "fight a bunch of dumb mooks to show everyone's coolness off" part. Basically everyone who has been eliminated so far from the other universes has been a total nobody or a C-list fighter who nobody expected to accomplish anything like the Trio de Dangers. They've been pretty studiously avoiding really conclusive fights between U6 and U7, have kept Ribrianne from really fighting anyone yet, Jiren and Toppo are still jerking off somewhere "saving their power" and not doing poo poo all yet, U4 hasn't really done anything yet despite its GoD apparently really hating Beerus, etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I think he's lost his fight sense, if he ever had it. He hasn't been properly challenged in years, and that was Cell, which he handed off. Gold Frieza he was able to out-power. with added reset. Whis has been training him but not fighting him-we've seen him resort to biting, the last he did that was Buu, and before again back in Dragon Ball. Goku's got absurd power and reserves, but he doesn't understand pacing himself anymore. Then again, given the nature of his fights, he's always had to give everything because it's all on the line, and such.

Everyone's telling him the same thing, but he keeps going along, figuring it'll work out and/or someone else will work out what needs doing so he can do it, or help out. Well, that's the nature of Monkey, I guess. Irrepressible fight-loving. Anyone who's willing to literally get themselves killed to figure out someone's trick...

Did you miss his fights with Hit? Both of those fights tested his ability to read and adapt to an opponent more than almost any fight he ever had, and the only way he was able to even match Hit in the U6 vs U7 tournament was to break out an untested powerup that could have killed him if he hosed it up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

He tried to kill Vegeta but Vegeta managed to live through Goku's blast and sneak off to his pod to escape, then went to shoot Vegeta's pod down but Goku stopped him from doing it and Reincarnated Yamcha realized that if he murdered Vegeta everyone would get horribly killed later on and it would be his fault.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Or the multiple other times that child Gohan got the piss kicked out of him.

That said, Zeno hasn't been portrayed as actively malicious, just a naive child who doesn't really get what he's doing. I doubt that's the kind of dude Goku would want to punch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah this is my point.

Zeno is at best Fat Buu levels of evil. He'll be befriended and talked down. That's it. Anyone expecting some dramatic rage against the heavens has forgotten what show they're watching.

I dunno, I could see a fight against the Grand Priest or some other part of the divine bureaucracy status quo in the offing. There's been a whole lot of hints dropped that Goku isn't terribly happy with the proverbial Sword of Damocles dangling over everyone's head that it would actually feel kind of weird if nothing of the sort happened.

Definitely not going to have Goku punt Zeno's head like a football, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It would be pretty believable at this point to think that Goku is on par with Beerus or even beyond him. Goku managed a fairly decent punch up with Beerus when he had just achieved SSG for the very first time; Beerus was very clearly sandbagging, but Goku continually surprised him with his resilience and adaptability. Since then, Goku has trained with Beerus's personal trainer for extended periods of time, fought a ton of incredibly strong dudes including a literally immortal rogue god who corrupted an entire universe, and has developed a lot of new techniques and refinements. While Goku's been doing all of this stuff, Beerus has been sleeping, eating, or sitting on his rear end and complaining.

We've already had an instance of a mortal shrugging off Hakai, so we know it's possible to not get instantly deleted by a GoD if you're simply strong enough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hit is ridiculously badass because he's basically what Piccolo would be if the plot allowed Piccolo to be as strong as Goku instead of the guy they call on to delay the villain for a bit because Goku/Gohan/Vegeta are still traveling/training/dead.

It's really, really fun to watch Hit fight because his combination of ridiculous time/dimension skip shenanigans and cleverness means that he gets really good fight choreography that is a lot more interesting than simple punch ups/beam struggles.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

Tien had a dojo, and none of his students seemed to know cool Z Fighter poo poo. I don't even think he taught them to fly, literally the Crane school's special technique.

Maybe he didn't have the dojo for very long and he was still building up the basics before beginning to teach them Z Fighter stuff. Like how you need to learn how to doggie paddle and tread water before you learn swimming strokes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Dr. Gero was the 2nd greatest scientist in the entire universe, nobody in frieza's army came even close

Freeza's army managed to make a machine that could assemble a 100% completely functional living person out of a collection of giblets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was more on Freeza's biology then their machines.

Freeza's biology let him survive as a pile of giblets, but they still had to put him in the Healing Washing Machine that somehow reassembled him into a functional Space Emperor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It kind of shocks me how for a dumb joke fan project started by some nerds in their houses a zillion years ago, TFS's take on a lot of the characters is generally really good, even in "serious" parts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I could see Towa making it in just to have another lady fighter if they don't want to dig too deep into recent Super stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Andrast posted:

No garbage characters from lovely games please

The Xenoverse games are really good fun if you're not looking for a balanced, competitive fighting game and you're not an OCD completionist who has to grind out every lovely move.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I could see Hit making it in just because he's got a super unique fighting style that is potentially visually amazing. I'm a huge sucker for his punch combos that do the energy flash thing through the enemy's body.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lmao Tien.

Krillin saved a powerful and valuable teammate from a surprise attack and then kicked the poo poo out of several opponents before getting sucker punched off the side by Frost and getting yelled at for letting his guard down by everyone. Tien's contribution was to get shot in the face several times by running in a straight line towards a sniper, shooting said sniper with a Kikoho, then walking into melee range and entirely letting his guard down and letting his opponent blow him up and only barely succeeding at managing a double KO, and despite his loss being entirely his own idiot fault, everyone compliments him for trying his best, including loving Beerus.

Tien is the worst character, christ.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Y'know I was hoping for an episode purely focused on 17 and 18 but if Gohan and Piccolo can't even get 5 minutes to themselves there's no way in hell that's happening

I like how Gohan's role was to be completely stupid and helpless in this episode while Piccolo did all the thinking for him. I'm not really sure why they kept trying to push the "Gohan is the smartest tactician" angle when "not as strong as others but incredibly savvy" has been Piccolo's entire characterization since the character was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Momomo posted:

The last time they pushed that he lost to Frost in the exact same way Goku did, so I'm not even sure he's great at being savvy either.

Literally nobody noticed Frost's poison needles except for loving Jaco, and that includes people like Vegeta and Beerus, so I'm going to give Piccolo a pass on that one.

seiferguy posted:

Gohan is smart though.

At academics, that is.

Pretty much this. Gohan is really smart at some things(academics, being a family man) but he is and always has been dumb as a sack of rocks and totally reliant on idiot brute force in combat. I guess it's plausible to read Goku as dumb enough to conflate the two.