Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

What kinds of pricing are we talking about to buy the site and have it redirect to this thread

No, I demand we redirect it to a fake Planet Namek site that portrays the series as if the Fake Namek arc was real Namek, and we go from there with stupid parody ripoffs of everything else in the series. Like Frieza is Friya, the Ginyu Force is Kola Squad, instead of Androids we gave Mechanoids, etc etc, and have bios and poo poo and fake power level charts and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's died three times (trunks, himself, goku)

what

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I love how people keep acting like the show debuted in the US on Toonami with Z. FUNimation dub-wise, kids, I was watching the OG Pilaf saga and the Raditz-to-Recoome+Tree of Might conveyor belt in syndication years before you fuckers got your grubby Toonami mits on it.

I feel so old.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

My country was in the loving Buu Saga when I started watching it on Toonami. It kept stopping mid Namek saga. Gohan getting his neck broken by recome and krillin crying, and THAT'S when you loving dial it back to the beginning? What the gently caress?

Basically, they dubbed exactly as many episodes as they needed for syndication (I think it was about 65 at the time). They didn't give a poo poo about whether or not they had a good stopping point; they just shopped it around as a series that could fill airtime. You get to the end of the available episodes, you loop back around. It's how syndicated series work all the time.

It also meant when Cartoon Network picked it up to fill space on their Action Cartoons For People To Watch block, that was all that was available. Then, it turns out, people really liked it, and negotiations started for more episodes, and we know the rest.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Maybe their parents were cross-universe lovers and they were born in the World of Void. Never thought of that, huh, didja? Huh? Didja? Didja?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Thinking about it, Cabba is Vegeta, Caulifla is Goku, so that means that her brother Renso, the dude Cabba highly respected and thought was extremely strong, and who was humble and a former leader of their defense forces...

...is Raditz.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Everyone who keeps saying that Goku and Vegeta should fuse at the drop of a hat seems to forget that they really, really resent doing so. They'll only do it when they've exhausted EVERY other option, like in Trunks' timeline. Both of them prefer to get as strong as they on their own, and not rely on the other.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Did you guys forget the unbeatable double warrior, Bota Magetta?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Trunks isn't THAT much smaller than Imperfect Cell, and he wasn't exactly crammed in there with no room whatsoever. It was just a Toriyama story beat, so don't think on it too hard.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

They probably have SSGSS as the trademarked or whatever usage, and they don't want to go through all the trouble to change it now. Japan's laws regarding copyright aren't as loose as they used to be.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Goku goes Kaioken in SSG. How red is he, and is he, in fact, now three times faster?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

He's got angel-style halos around him.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bergamo attempted to save everyone by waging the universal survival in his match with Goku. Goku then proceeded to not only defeat, but one-sidedly humilliate Bergamo, because he cared more about having a cool fight than saving the lives of an uncountable amount of people.

I feel like this was added specifically to make Goku undeniably culpable in the whole thing. As other people in the thread have said, Goku can be absolved in that he didn't know what his actions would lead to, just that Zen-O wanted a tournament and so did he. Erasing universes didn't enter into it until later.

Once he knows that, though, and that there's a way to completely avoid it, he still goes all out. That, and him being fine playing the villain to Toppo's hero, both show that Goku isn't innocent in all this, and willingly shares some of the blame.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

But then Beerus beats everyone teaming up on him with no effort to show how powerful Beerus is so Goku can look strong despite being weaker. And then we remember we're reading the Super manga.

I'm not sure why this keeps getting said, it's not what happened. Everyone went for him at once, he dodged their opening attacks with a skill Whis taught him, he proved to not be perfect at it when he got grabbed, and then he managed to force the robot dude's hands apart and get out of the way of a follow up attack. Yeah, he tossed Champa into the air and distracted everyone, but his energy ball was completely no-sold. He didn't curb stomp anyone, he dodged a few attacks and used a distraction that led to an attack that completely whiffed.

The only person there who we saw him overpowering was robot dude, and even that was just escaping from a grab. Yeah, he managed to trick a bunch of them for like a second, but that led to nothing. He certainly didn't do that stuff effortlessly, either. He doesn't even get the first proper elimination, Belmod got that.

Dislike the manga all you want, but at least argue from a position with facts, not with exaggerations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You know, thinking on it a little more, the reason Japan doesn't really care about Cell compared to the West might be based on how the series was introduced to each region.

In Japan, you go through the entire series, manga or anime, as one serial adventure. Yeah, you get filler and stuff, but it's basically one big thing, from Bulma finding Goku in the forest and shooting him, to Goku flying off to train Uub.

In America, at least, you got the Pilaf arc of DB, which was aired in syndication for like one season, before they jumped directly into Z. From there, you got up to Recoome, and then it looped back to Raditz. When Cartoon Network picked it up, they started directly from Z, without airing DB. They also kept looping it until it was so popular more episodes were funded.

The difference here is very much in how the two regions told the story. In Japan, the entire thing is clearly the story of Goku. He's the primary character through Dragonball, it's all about his journey. Once you get to Z, yeah, he gets killed real fast and stuff, but the journey is still about everyone getting ready for the big fight where Goku comes back. From there, of course, it moves to Namek where Goku, again, comes back midway through. We move to Androids and Cell, where Goku may be out of the spotlight for a while, but he's still the driving force behind the plot. The Androids all want him dead, Cell wants him as an opponent, all that stuff. The Buu Saga is, again, Goku coming back for a bit, leaving for a bit, but then saving the day again. The entire series is Goku focused, starting with Dragonball being all about his journey and only expanding later to move the focus off him at points.

In America, since the vast majority of people started with Z, something different happened. We didn't have Dragonball to establish that Goku was the super focus of the story. Even just having the Pilaf Saga, if you happened to see it, was closer to an ensemble cast. Going into Z, if this is your first introduction to Goku, he is nearly immediately killed off after his son displays amazing power. You know Goku is the best fighter and stuff, but your introduction is him being surpassed by his young son, who is then being told he could be the greatest warrior. The series moves on to everyone preparing for the Saiyans, including a heavy focus on Gohan becoming a fighter under Piccolo's teaching. Goku goes through Snake Way and trains with King Kai and saves the day with Nappa, yes, but then the ensemble cast manages to take down Vegeta, and Goku is in a medical bed again. So Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma go to Namek, and it becomes very much a story about them. Plus, halfway through the Ginyu Force, it breaks and loops for years, establishing the story of Z as more Gohan focused than Goku focused in the minds of viewers.

An important effect of that is when Goku and Gohan both have their biggest moments. All through Dragonball and into Z, there's talk about how Goku is this prodigy. He has losses, yeah, but Dragonball establishes that Goku always manages to overcome, and that it's his journey the viewer is following. His biggest moment, then, is when he literally embodies a legend from his home planet, and becomes a Super Saiyan, defeating Frieza.

If you cut out DB, you cut out a lot of the establishment of it being Goku's story. Suddenly it makes a ton more sense that, despite Goku swooping in to be the best warrior, it's Gohan's story now. Gohan's story of becoming like his father, and everyone's talk of him having all the potential, and him needing to fight to protect those he cares about and the such. We follow his journey from a little whiny brat to a budding fighter, and then the Namek loops establish even further that he's on a journey. To the western viewer, there's a lot more to Gohan's journey than Goku's, because most of Goku's journey already happened. Gohan is the kid that viewers want to be, the one who has this hidden potential that could be tapped into. His biggest moment is it all culminating in going Super Saiyan 2, surpassing his father and everyone else, and finally letting loose the potential that had been hinted at for years.

Having said all that, their greatest moments are against different villains. Goku's is against Frieza, Gohan's is against Cell. Considering how differently the airings went, and botches along the way (like Frieza's original set of voice actors and scripting), Japan's fans would focus on Goku, and the west would focus on Gohan. Along with that, their respective villains would get a massive bump due to pure association. Whomever they were fighting when their arcs finally climaxed would be their greatest antagonist, and that would be reflected popularity-wise.

So, looking at Dragonball/Z as Goku's story, as Japan would have done, gives you Frieza as the impetus for Goku's legend. The west, having gotten a version of the story that shifted the focus more towards Gohan, went for Cell. Thus, the split.

Obviously this isn't hard and fast, and there's a million other reasons too like old fashioned differences in tastes, but regardless it does make sense that both regions would feel the series focus differently.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Android 21 is clearly a Cell from another timeline only this time Cell absorbed 18 first and instead of becoming a big hulking dude Cell became a shapely woman who has no idea how to handle a massive head of hair and with a fashion sense that falls somwhere between the old British mod scene and a harlequin outfit. How this isn't blindingly obvious to everyone, I don't know.

Oh also her 17 was accidentally killed by a meteor or something. I dunno, it happens.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, all the dude has for him is "is immortal". He's not immune to getting rung out, and killing is illegal in the tournament anyway.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

sassassin posted:

Why would it?

It literally doesn't, they go out of their way to hold back on it until Vegeta just swings and vaporizes it. The only similarity is that you can "hide" your strength level by pulling your punch.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Goku was like "Good guy Frieza! Cool! I want you to be my best buddy and fight at your fullest and we have a fun fight and then maybe you'll train and get better and I can fight Golden Frieza but WITHOUT the whole incredible hatred and killing my planet thing and it'll be great!" and then Frost turned out to be an rear end in a top hat and Goku just lost all interest in him. Then he found his NEW best friend in Hit.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I could legit see Belmod having created Jiren either as his ultimate replacement so he can retire without any concerns, or even sort of his universal protection switch, embodying his concept of justice through protecting the innocent, using fightmans.

I wanted to say "maybe he used the Super Dragon Balls at one point to wish for a loyal fighter who would never lose" or something, but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of evidence against that.

Honestly though, having posted that, it feels really fanfic-y and stupid. So probably not.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

Chichi would never stand for it.

Train her too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Next movie villain: Gag manga characters gone too far.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

graham cracker posted:

I'm kinda disappointed we haven't checked in on Goten and Trunks on 17's island lately. I hope that weird minotaur thing is okay. :ohdear:

We're going to get back to the island after the tournament and it'll turn out somehow the minotaur has had a massive litter of children and also all the poachers are in jail.

"What the poo poo? It's only been 48 minutes!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think Hit has never trained. Dude's what, 2000 years old? If you're thinking of the u6/7 tournament what I think he said is he can't get physically stronger, so he relies on improving his technique. I took that to mean he's at his physical peak already.

I thought it was that he's physically strong as gently caress, yes, but that he never worked on improving his time stop. He got it initially, it lasted a split second, he was like "good enough". Fighting Goku, he started trying things like kiai and poo poo and actually pushing it, and discovered "oh hey, this can actually do a lot more than I thought it could" because he never put ANY effort into it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

What we didn't see was the horrific wreck 5 seconds later

Saiyan driving skills work like their fighting skills, the only problem is the horrific loss of life that results in the process.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I watched the first four episodes before American had even made it to Buu because my cousin was a tape trader back in the day and that's the only four episodes I've ever watched :v:

I have some passing knowledge of the show but I see things like "Super Baby" and "Baby Vegeta" and it just looks really silly.

"Hey, this guy is like a clone of the king of the tuffles, the race the Saiyans wiped out, and with a bunch of extra abilities and poo poo. What should he be named?"

"He starts as a baby slime ooze thingy right? ... I GOT IT!"

"No sir, 'Dragon Quest Slime' will not pass the lawyers."

"...Ok, so, my SECOND choice is..."

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

:eng101:
Freeza has a penis in his first three forms. Obviously the final form is only for combat so this weakness is removed:

That is his true form. Clearly, you are not an expert in Friezas. Please turn in your Frieza Card.

Shifting the topic a bit, it's pretty interesting to look at Frieza's forms. I mean, we know his true form, and we know Golden is a new form he designed that's essentially "gently caress you bitch I'm fabulous(ly powerful)", but his other forms are supposed to suppress his power. We don't know the order he made them in, but we could assume he worked backwards, going to Third, to Second, to First. That's the order of strength for them, so since the goal was to suppress his power it makes sense that his weaker forms are actually considered improvements and likely came later.

In that case, the first form he developed was a massive monster looking fucker with spikes everywhere and an elongated head and other poo poo. Probably the most different from his final form, and sort of like a big "IS A HORROR MONSTER" sign that you don't want to gently caress with him. Like, say, what a teenager would design to look edgy and dangerous.

After that, you get big man form, still with horns but otherwise just a tall dude who looks like he could kick your rear end, and will, also impale you on his horns. Maybe like someone who really wants to feel like an adult, or even wants to be regal like his father. Perhaps a form Frieza designed when he was getting to the end of whatever counts for a Frieza race's puberty, and wanted to show he was an adult?

Finally, you have tinychairman, who is like his previous form but smaller, more compact, and not really threatening looking. Sort of like a child. Is he trying to look less threatening while still being kind of creepy, like someone moving on from displaying power via appearances and more through willing restraint, like "I am so powerful I feel no need to display that power because it is self-evident"?

Are these forms like potentially some sort of display of where he was in his lifespan, mentally, when he designed them?

(no, of course not, they're because toriyama was like "ok what would be cool here" and then his editor was like "no not that")

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Time Skip is explicitly named as such.

Hakai, too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I figure with Kale and Caulifla, Goku is doing that Saiyan thing where fighting powerful opponents causes your body to start powering up, so he can recover better than if he just sat and rested. He can do it with those two because their goal isn't "knock Goku out of the ring", it's "get better and stronger", so they're not going to try to steamroll him; and they're not quite strong enough to, either. If he tried it with, say, Toppo, he would get blasted away before he could get his Saiyan recovery going. Meanwhile, Kale and Caulifla are having the same thing happen to them, which is how they plan to reach SSJ3. They're basically in a feedback loop of powering up.

I also figure that Goku can just plain access some of that SSJ/SSJ2 power in base, or something. It seems like the tiers between forms start to flatten out a bit the more powerful the Saiyan is, so while SSB is still "oh poo poo" levels compared to SSJ1, SSJ2 isn't quite as much of a leap as it used to be. They still give boosts, but it's not the level of "being SSJ2 lets me body SSJ without effort".

One more thing, I think Jiren might actually be in Ultra Instinct pretty much all the time. Goku only ever really gets two good hits on Jiren while in UI mode, and otherwise Jiren is matching him pretty much attack for attack and block for block. Jiren only takes those hits at the end, when Goku goes all out for them. He doesn't appear to actually be damaged, though, and even counters Goku immediately thereafter. Meanwhile, he dodges Goku's initial "no one else saw that coming" kick, something Goku clearly didn't even know he was about to throw. Goku manages to scuff his face, but at no point lands a decisive blow until he goes all out at the end. Even there, though, Goku clearly go for the finisher with his left fist, and then at the last second switches to the right; and Jiren catches it.

Jiren generally has no aura, but Whis clearly states that the "heat" Goku is radiating is odd for UI. Jiren even points out that the "heat" is Goku's limit, as the form begins to wear off, suggesting he has some idea of what's going on. He generates his own aura here, but it appears to be attack-related.

It might just be that being in UI, properly, doesn't have an inherent aura. We've seen aura control be a thing before, especially with Goku Vs. Beerus, we've seen that having control over one's Ki is a vital part of maintaining a form's power, and we've seen Jiren explicitly pop an aura and channel it right into an attack. Goku leaking aura is odd to Whis, and Jiren notices it too.

Jiren even has grey/silver eyes; his eyes are basically black, with a white pupil or shine, and they seem to consistently make sure the outer portions have a greyish circle around them. Not like how a shine would work; it's like under whatever his black lids are, his eyes are silver.

We also see him meditating whenever he's not fighting; presumably, he's keeping himself under full control to keep in Ultra Instinct mode. Whis makes it pretty clear it's mostly a mental thing; Beerus, someone far beyond Goku's power, can't do it properly. He's too hot headed. Goku gets forced into it by trying to resist the Spirit Bomb and control the raging power; as the boost wears off, he loses it.

So, I figure Jiren is just constantly running in Ultra Instinct mode, and has to keep himself under control to avoid losing it. He's incredibly dedicated to justice, he drops into meditation as soon as he feels he's not needed, and the only time a non-UI fighter gets blows on him, it is someone can literally freeze time for an instant.

I'm not sure what the point of typing all that was. tl;dr: Jiren always in UI mode, dude owns.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Nah, if this was the case everyone wouldn't have been freaking out when Goku did it, or at least would have been talking about Jiren doing it before that.

Except what was freaking everyone out was that Goku suddenly overcame the distance between their strengths, and that he appeared to have pulled this entirely out of his rear end. No one recognized what it was until Whis stated it, and then everyone was like "oh poo poo this is THAT thing". Goku reached it out of nowhere with a flashy aura, a complete change of movement, and a level of power he hadn't displayed before. Jiren, meanwhile, has been like this from the start. Like I said, it might not have an aura or anything, and if that's true, then no one would recognize a change because Jiren is always doing it.

I mean, I could be completely wrong, but it feels a lot like this is something Jiren already has, and is more adept at using than Goku.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also he still fell and hit his head and got amnesia, I guess, but not outright brain damage that changed his personality.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The Bee posted:

My favorite "something goes wrong" scenario is what would happen if Goku survived Raditz. With no Kaio-Ken Vegeta would have floored the Z Fighters and become immortal near uncontested. From there, it'd just be the long, long, immortality-fuelled grind to overthrowing Frieza and becoming Emperor Vegeta.

Wouldn't that actually mean Vegeta wouldn't give a poo poo about the earth beyond being the planet that rear end in a top hat Raditz died on, because they wouldn't hear about the Dragon Balls since Goku's not dead? Also I feel like if they got the warning, Kami would still be like "well gently caress, guess I better see about getting them trained up" and possibly contact King Kai or something.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I just really love that they IMMEDIATELY went for it.

"Hey, I'm you in another dude's body from another timeline."

"We must embrace."

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Probably a bad question but where did Black get his outfit from? Do the kais also know Clothes Beam?

Explicitly yes, due to Gohan's training outfit in the Buu saga.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Considering Frieza's forms are basically his own chosen attire, I want them to be recognized as a variation of Clothes Beam.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Not counting any skips for holidays or whatever, it's approximately 20 episodes.

We've been doing about a minute per episode, at best, for the past half a year.

There's over 20 minutes left in the tournament.

I don't think it's ending in March without something major happening, and even then it feels like there's way too much to do left. I'd see it changing titles and poo poo though, to widen the focus.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yesh posted:

How many dbz fusion rules are still being used? Because a fused person that dies is permanently fused even if the earrings are removed.

Wait what?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, thinking about something, the wishes to Super Shenron have to be made in the language of the gods. Assuming Frieza has not randomly learned it out of his rear end (a valid possibility), any wish he makes will have to go through one of the angels or something. Unless they've upgraded Super Shenron to, like Porunga, make wishes in whatever passes for "standard" in Dragonball's multiverse, anything he tries to wish is going to be known beforehand by whomever is making the wish for him.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

I SERIOUSLY want to know what his long term plans for loving Gero and Clown Bot were.

Like was Gero going to get a new form, or was it going to be super young punk Gohan VS Aged Elder Gero

If I remember correctly, Toriyama has admitted that his planning at that point consisted of "I have no idea what's going to be in the next page, much less the next chapter or the next volume" style writing. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever to learn that he didn't have any idea where to go with them until he moved to the next chapter and whipped it up from there.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I preferred the insanity of the Buu saga myself, where there were more and more powerups and fusions and plans that just didn't work and the finally capped it off with one of Goku's oldest techniques.

Patting Buu on the crotch to discern his gender was truly the pinnacle of DBZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You know in a few years though they'll be jaded as gently caress and whining about how Super Saiyan 4 Super Saiyan Vegito should be able to totally trounce Muy Cell Dorado (The World) in one hit, because power levels.