Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Professor Wayne posted:

Hey, god I personally know. Don't really believe in ya or your powers. But thanks for turning me into a senzu bean.

I figure in this case it's not agreeing with his philosophy, not literally disbelieving the Kai's existence. Still kind of a hilarious translation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

seiferguy posted:

Let's look at how all the Saiyans went SSJ:

Goku: saw Krillin die and lost his poo poo
Vegeta: tried to train too much on some meteor, got upset and lost his poo poo
Future Trunks: saw future Gohan dead and lost his poo poo
Gohan: realized he was the weak link of the z-fighters and lost his poo poo
Goten and Trunks: ???
Cabba: Vegeta threatened to blow up planet salad and he lost his poo poo
Caulifla: midochlorians back tingles
Kale: saw big sis getting too friendly with Cabba and lost her poo poo

With the exception of Goten, Trunks and Caulifa, seems like losing your poo poo is a preface to going Super Saiyan, ya'all.

Tends to be, but with even a bit of discipline and training you learn how to control it, regularly access it, and refine it. I imagine it's something straddling the line between an innate ability and a technique.

Imagine if you never punched someone before. Then one day you got really upset, lashed out, and clubbed someone with your fist. That's what Goku did on Namek, and in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber he and Gohan refined it so they didn't have to throw wild, tear-stained haymakers every time they punched.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Stallion Cabana posted:

I legitimately hope they add Cooler Form into XV3. Make it an alternate to Golden that makes you good at the punches instead of the kis.

I hope Frost breaks it out, especially since Universe 6 already has Broly.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's because GT writes Gogeta as if he was Gotenks. They might as well be two completely different characters, to the point where Xenoverse 2 has SS Gogeta criticize SS4 Gogeta's personality, despite being the same person.

Okay, I need to see this.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Covok posted:

I decided to check on dbm and, boy, is that fan comic Off the Mark. With the tournament of power story line, it's even more obvious now how much that comic it takes things too seriously and misses the nature of DBZ. It's basically american-dbz-fans-not-getting-it.cbz at this point.

What are they doing currently?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
God, I hope you guys are right. It'd make God feel truly amazing again, and to be honest I kind of really prefer the form to Blue.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

tbp posted:

thats def not gohan

i dont think SSG will end up being stronger than SSB mainly because that'd be such a dramatically different story beat difference btwn the manga and anime. like ofc there have been differences, yeah, but nothing that huge.

also when did goku heal the wound in SSG? i only watched the movie and skipped a lot of the anime episodes, but i might not be remembering even if it happened in the movie lol

Manga could just directly skip to whatever new form Goku is cooking up, because lets be honest there'll totally be one.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

lezard_valeth posted:

Red God is def stronger than Blue.

If the Goku in the Goku poster turns out to be Goku, his "new" transformation will def be a perfected version of what he used in his last minutes of fight with Beerus, the "You have absorbed God's red and made it your own" thingy Beerus said.

That actually makes a disturbing amount of sense. Last time, Goku wasn't consciously holding onto that feeling. This time, he already knows what to expect and is preparing himself to hold his godhood close in any way he can. Going God isn't the power up. It's the transformation sequence.

Also, another thing I noticed. Both "I can't get no satisfaction" and "Gonna take the challenge of God" are sung with basically the same timing and cadence, with the latter line on a downswing and the former on an upswing. I like that this implies that Goku has taken the challenge of the gods, and now he's goddamn bored of it.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 12, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

heeheex2 posted:

I think that bulma ep was filler my dude

They actually had Bulma react to Ginyu Frog, so who knows?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Man, I guess Mojito is just an rear end in a top hat.

His universe was a shithole, his Destroyer was incompetent, and his Kai was an asshat.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Stallion Cabana posted:

This may be true and it may even be logical but that doesn't always make for thrilling television.

At the same time, Universe 7 not getting to fight and win a lot is equally disappointing of an idea. This is the wave of mooks for cool fights, and soon we'll get to the heavy duty stakes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Kinda disappointed that this means SSG is still basically just an intermediary form. I feel like Blue and Kaio-Ken could've achieved that without raising so many questions.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Theres still time for Caulifla to ask Goku "So how do I do the red hair thing?"

Every time Goku does something new, I want Caulifla to find him and bug him about how to do it. I don't care if he's busy fighting zombie ghosts in Universe 12, she'll find him.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Skinty McEdger posted:

The only English VA I don't really like much is Future Trunks. The Japanese VA absolutely nailed it during that arc.

I feel like TFS does a really good Future Trunks. They really sell how frustrated a character like him has to be.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Frieza wasn't built to have an undetectable power. In fact, I bet if he was, he'd throw a tantrum until it was turned off.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

sassassin posted:

How would you build a robot to have detectable chi?

By not putting a dampener on the ki being made by all of the fleshy bits. Especially when Cyborg Frieza was basically just Frieza wearing fancy prosthetics, since he can basically stay alive through anything short of atomization.

Cyborg Frieza and the Androids are two very different cups of coffee.

Also, yeah, with Kai and Super, at the very least Toei and Toriyama have been showing that some filler (Gregory, Bardock) is more legit in their canon than other filler (Garlic Jr, Broly).

The Bee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Obviously at the start of next episode, Frost will run in out of nowhere and shove Roshi out of the arena. This will occur at some point during every non-Goku focused episode.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I looked up that scene and yikes. Please save us, dub writers.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

extra row of teeth posted:

Yeah I don't know what it is about DBS Roshi but his perv side feels less...innocent? Playful? Whatever and much more sinister and rapey. Even in Dragonball it wasn't as bad, and that show had Bulma flashing him while underage and Roshi sneaking into the bathroom while Bulma was on the toilet. I think it's because in Dragonball and Z, he always got his comeuppance. In Super, there's either no karmic payback or not enough.

Like how much better would that disturbing Puar and Roshi "training" scene be if a shapeshifted Puar kicked his rear end? Or turned into a big ugly Bactrian looking dude the second Roshi made contact?

The framing doesn't help either. I imagine if Roshi appeared in the bathroom door on fire while Bulma cowered and screamed in the corner, the scene would've felt way different.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm really hoping the dub just stresses the parts where he mentions giving earthly pleasure in favor of power and tranquility, because that's a cool old master speech. Just make him regularly intimidating, and not . . . That.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I want to see Goku win, and then instead of reviving 7 other universes finally remember to wish King Kai back to life.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Could've asked the lesser kais.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Forget the noodle people complaints for a second. That is the least spiky looking Saiyan I've seen, and that makes me deeply uncomfortable.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
If any others from Super, Hit and Merged Zamasu seem like the only ones I'd expect. Beyond that, Gotenks for sure, hopefully Satan, Saiyaman, and Ginyu.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
^ Nice.

Considering 16 is in, I could see Nappa making it as well. Hell, if we want a main villain and minion from each saga (sorta like Cell and Androids), I could see Nappa repping the Saiyan Saga, Ginyu representing the Frieza saga, and Dabura or another Buu form repping the Buu saga.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think we're really overstating the assist and main fighter here. It'd really dilute, say, 18 and 17 if every other character put in had some sort of assistant gimmick. Especially for ones not historically paired to a literal extent like the Androids, or Black and Zamasu. Even then, in the latter I see Merged Zamasu being more likely.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kild posted:

Black + Zamasu, Goten + Trunks, Burter + Jeice are the only ones that would fit imo.

In each of those cases I feel like there are better options, like Merged Zamasu, Gotenks, and Ginyu with the entire Force as temporarily called-in assists. Still agree that those are the best options for full-on teams, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Not a taunt, but his winpose.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Ledgic looks like Quark dyed himself blue and got outfit ideas from Vince McMahon's house of bad wrestling gimmicks. His design just doesn't land with me at all.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Black August posted:

instantaneous #1 most used/popular emoticon for the entire game's lifespan, preview now to heat death

Don't be hasty. We could get dead Yamcha.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Manatee Cannon posted:

frost might be stronger than freeza was when he blew himself up on namek but I doubt he could beat the robot or winnie the pooh

Frost can be a nasty bastard when he wants to be. He'd ring out Magetta for sure. Botamo would probably cause more trouble.

Either way, Cabba is definitely the weak link of the U6-U7 tournament.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Forget the HIt-Vegeta "rematch." I want Cabba to beat his master, and Vegeta to die as a proud papa.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blockhouse posted:

the manga's reveal that the other gods of destruction hate Beerus because he hosed up Zeno's Universal Hide And Seek tournament by sleeping through his turn to hide is THE BEST

The manga has some amazing jokes to it that I wish leaked into both versions.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

canoshiz posted:

FYI this is basically never true (and the Fox only meme especially so) if you are not a top level player of a game. Tiers do not apply to 99% of the players of a game and of all the "important" things that make up a good competitive game, balance alone is one of the least important despite common perception. As long as the DBFZ is fun to play mechanically and has numerous interesting matchups and varied team compositions to provide depth, it should be a great game.

I'd argue it's a little more complex, depending on how much of a tier list is skill ceilings and how much is skill floors. At casual play, a high floor character is going to seem really "cheap" compared to others. For example, Meta Knight was pretty much an overpowered scourge at any tier level, but he's kind of an outlier in that regard.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

amigolupus posted:

Something else that makes me feel really sorry for Chi-Chi is how she had no idea what she was getting into marrying someone with an appetite like Goku. Didn't Ox King used to have a literal mountain of loot? Something like that might've lasted for generations, yet it only took almost 20 years of Saiyan appetite to completely bankrupt them. (Also including Gohan and Goten here)

Given how the Budokai announcer reacted as if he hadn't seen them in ages during the Buu Saga, Goku never bothered participating in tournaments to earn them prize money. And Super shows Chi-Chi has a hard time getting Goku to focus on farming, so that wouldn't do wonders for their income either.

I feel like it adds a sense of desperation to how much she pushes Gohan to study and be a scholar with a high-paying job, really.

She probably has at least 75% of that money saved up for Gohan and Goten going to college, lets be real.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I could see 2 or 3 being left from universes 6, 7, 2, and 11, leading to a slightly more traditional tournament.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I will say that Freeza has been acting a little strange since being revived again. In Resurrection F he was totally his old Namek era self, but now he seems sort of subdued I guess? Usually he acts like a spoiled brat, and can hardly go five minutes without losing his temper, but now he seems to be taking everything in stride. Even in this latest episode he appeared to be untroubled by the fact that Goku had surpassed him again. Vegeta, who's been putting up with this sort of thing for years now had more of a reaction than he did.

He's by no means nicer, of course, but this really doesn't seem like the same Freeza who rage quit by trying to blow up a planet on two separate occasions.

At this point, he's done everything possible to stop Goku. Goku told him "dude if you took things in stride and didn't rush for revenge 4 months after freshly learning a new form maybe you'd put up more of a fight." I think Frieza's been taking that advice seriously.

Besides, Frieza was always cool and collected on Namek before being on the receiving end of a bad situation. So far, he hasn't been on that receiving end yet. He'll likely tantrum once his house of cards collapses.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Burkion posted:

Dude is strictly in his Namekian Lord Of the Universe persona and loving every minute of it.

And so am I. Resurrection F gave me my fill of petulant child "dirty monkey this, dirty monkey that" Frieza. Seeing the Frieza that was so intimidating back on Namek has reminded me why I love the character so much.

I can't believe how well this arc has been justifying Resurrection F's place in the show.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I can see why people are seeing her as a fat joke, considering the constant sproinging noises whenever she moves and Vegeta's "it was so repulsive I instinctively dodged".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

extra row of teeth posted:

To be fair it's more than just her weight, I believe they designed her to be comically ugly or at least uncomfortable looking and it's not just "lol fat". Like the camera is loving obsessed with her nose for some reason, it started with that :wtf: extreme close up into her nostril in that earlier ToP episode and has kept happening to smaller degrees.

Maybe she's supposed to be an (extremely sanitized) Magical Girl version of a Bactrian-like idea? Where instead of Anime version of Ren and Stimpy-style grossout we get a subdued "ugh" vibe under the magical girl tropes.

That's true. Also the fact that she looks like a Teletubby. And I think the contrast between magical girl glamor and goofy, comedic design makes more sense than "ha ha fat," even if the latter is unfortunately part of the former.

I don't get why people seem so vehemently against her as a character, though. Bloodly outlined like at least 3 reasons why so far she's been fun and interesting. I loved her ranting at an increasingly unamused Jiren.