Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Worth the Candle is also pretty self-congratulatory, but well that seems to be a function of most "rat" fictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

blastron posted:

Word of God. Wildbow constantly posts things on various forums, subreddits, and comments sections with extra setting information and explanations not given in the actual text. These are technically canon (although you could make a Death of the Author argument that it can be ignored) and is referenced thoroughly in fan discussions and on the fan wiki.

Death of Author is about themes in literary analysis not setting building.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Wandering Inn:Yeah, being uncomfortable with cutting off chunks from live unanesthetizied animals, is more common than veganism...

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Silynt posted:

Wild Patreon chapter of Wandering Inn this morning. Non-patron readers, look forward to Saturday.

Now this is just needlessly cruel.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

TWI Patreon spoilers: Welp, I guess that's one long-running complaint about the story done and over with! :v:

Where's the damned "punch somebody through the internet" button.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
The Wandering Inn: So that happened.

Frankly I do not know if I would prefer the death to stick or not to stick. Like would it cheapen the sacrifice, on the other hand one of the most powerful mages in the world is right there...

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI 3.34 : Thank god, thus could have been such a mess.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

New MoL is up and it looks like there are probably only a few chapters left!

This plot development has been something a lot of people both been anticipating or dreading. And it does seem something that needs space to work through itself.

TWI: We have a goblin chapter. It is nice, but does not really does anything new.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Silynt posted:

TWI: I was underwhelmed by the Greydath reveal. Obviously the old goblin had been built up to be more than meets the eye, so the fact that he's a powerful Goblin Lord isn't too surprising. I was annoyed at how the reveal 100% made him into a new character - he didn't seem to be faking his senile old man shtick from the past several books, but all of a sudden he is tall and powerful and disdainful of Rags when he previously had been old and shriveled and supportive. Like, there is literally nothing similar between Greydath and Greybeard, and that to me is a lovely reveal.
I think she made him too powerful and then did not want to take back the combat scene. So she had to remove him from Flooded Waters.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI: So there has been a plot development chapter and drat. Everybody is going to fight so hard for peace, there is going to be nothing left afterwards.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Argue posted:

That's how they're building it up but if the mage is whom I think it is, then as someone pointed out in the comments, basically everyone Magnolia is gathering up is more inclined to listen to Erin or Ryoka than her. Draw your own conclusions from that :v:.

That would be pretty funny.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

that said, there probably is a major dissonance in how all the readers view the antinium and how the non-offworlders view the antinium, namely that Klbkch and the free antinium just happen to be the only ones that aren't hivemind Von Neumann probes.

But we see members of other tribes and they too do have minds of their own. Antinium overall seem to be at this strange cross-section of real-world eusociality and fantasy hive-mind, so it would not be suprising for Innworlders to just see hivemind. Many people in real world do not understand eusociality still.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Speaking of Gobbos, the latest Wandering Inn is pretty great. The evil necromancer Goblin Lord just wants a home for goblins where they aren't monsters scrapping for survival, similar to Rags. It also brings up that we don't know what is motivating Az’kerash.

I found explanation for why Redfang cannot be a Goblin Lord some what more interesting actually. The goblins seem more and more alien.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Argue posted:

Indeed. The death flags were obvious but I was hedging my bets all the way to the end, since Magnolia still had that Illuminati council of hers that I assumed he'd have a lot to do in. I think Reiss turning against the Necromancer happened a bit too fast all things considered, but I'm satisfied with it. Also, that stuff was great and all but I really miss happy fun times with Erin!

Reiss has been waiting for the opportunity this whole time. And what better chance is he going to get? Az'Kerash is out of teleportation scrolls and his minions are out of commission.

I am wondering if he will free Ossia though.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

Why has no one gotten that girl a piece of slate so she can actually communicate?

I think it is the combunation of Mrsha being primary school or late kindergarten age and her not being interested.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I'll admit, claiming that you're putting a book up for sale on Amazon but it's really just advertising is certainly an... interesting strategy.

I don't think it's a revolutionary thought that if something is available for free, and you claim that you'd, in fact, prefer it if people followed the free version, then perhaps you shouldn't take money from people.
Dude. People were repeatedly asking Pirateaba to put the e-book up. I really do not get what is so terrible about taking money from people whi reapeatedly ask you to take their money. You are literally equating it with scams.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Lamquin posted:

[Wandering Inn]
You weren't kidding - I was fully expecting it to end on a cliffhanger but it just kept going. I'm hoping Jelaqua gets herself a new fresh body and I'm curious what levels everyone will gain out of this.

Loved it and many of the scenes in this chapter. Going to be interesting reading what happens next!

What I appreciate more and more about WI as I troll royalroad is how in such a spectale filled chapter Pirateaba is advancing both plots and worldbuilding.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Flos and Erin importing generic ideas (theater, humanitarian aid) are the two annoying parts of TWI.

The theater is extra annoying as the excuse was that Izrils' is a too martial culture. Whereas in real life plenty of martial cultures were pretty obsessive about the arts

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Affi posted:

Welll yes and no. Having many different classes can also result in getting cool classes like general of the line or druid and crap. I'm guessing there is a manual out there somewhere that all the rich people are hogging.

I would not go so far. It had been explicitly stated that the Innworld has fallen a lot. Probably even the rich know lot less than was common knowledge thousands of years ago.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

I am taking break from TWI for this. Please, could you post in thread when the story thread plays out?

Yes it is still less terrible than a lot of what is happening in other works of fiction, but this TWI, and I read it primed for Erin's zany hijinks.

Gladi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 24, 2018

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Okay can somebody spoil the ending of those two G/E chapters if TWI?

Also, anyone following Heretical Edge?

Gladi fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 19, 2018

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

I tried. Lost track around the point they came back from space. Has something interesting happened?

That is not a lot behind current happenings. I think just the chapter after that one of the longer plots got resolved. I can see how you could lose your track. I binged it in three days and have trouble with all the stuff author keeps piling on.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, how did any civilization in InnWorld got to be, with all those bloodbaths going on. I get that it currently has been centuries in decline, but all of it has such deep system flaws that I cannot see how it ever worked.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
It is always strange hearing people praise so much something I disliked. The whole way the character approaches the world as a badly run tabletop rpg game was just so infuriating. Both for how navel-gazing it was and for the idea that this is actually a good way to run RPGs in general.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI: Can any patreons tell me if I can read the next G chapter or if it is still infuriating?

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
I am always looking for new stories, but Lord all the anti-heroes and edgeness.

Does anyone have recommendation for stories with a nice protagonists and the world is to people sometimes bad and sometimes good?

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Kalas posted:

TWI early update: Every Mrsha the Great and Powerful chapter is a good chapter. Also, Death flags in a web serial format.

You mean Patreon chapter? If so, I am really looking forward to Saturday. I have been wondering, who would die in the arc, so if the field is narrowed a bit it would be mist welcome.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI, I think pirateaba could have openly stated the plan for goblins to open the Door in the Ras camp. But all the pieces are shown in the text

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Silynt posted:

Should probably spoiler the Patreon chapter stuff

I am not a Patron. This is from the currently public chapter.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
TWI: Well, so that was it. Good for Erin to do better than I thought. That said, while on one hand I am relieved that no one died it does feel bit strange that no one died.

Also, interesting skills there.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

I thought it was heavily implied that Veltras' plan was to herd they goblins towards Laken's town and have them take out the goblins and/or vice versa. . I came to this before today's chapter.

The idea I got from the Niers interlude was more that he would "save" Laken. Emperor would be useful for the goal of uniting humans to kill southerners.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

the wandering inn had an update.

Good news, it's a good Rags update! Bad news, the good Rags updates are just "violence is inescapable" to a degree that even eclipses The Very Wise Frog:

Yeah. But maybe we are really reaching the finale of this arc? Important things happened and Rags's character arc should have for now be over.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Argue posted:

(Unspoilered) I seem to recall Flos bemoaning that he didn't like war, but he was the king of destruction, so what else could he do.

I think it was more that his Skills work only in war. Like when he is conquering everything works at peak efficiency, people do not jaywalk and babies are healthy.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
So something strange happened at TWI with the entire chapter being scrapped. I know that there are Patrons here, was it like this even on Saturday or did Pirateaba changed their mind over time?

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Wandering Inn: The Half Seekers should have died. I like them but that should have been the end of their story.

It was a good place to kill any of the people involved. Personally I expected some of the goblins to die.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

You use TWI as an example, but the Wandering Inn is terrible so I'm not sure why you would use it as an example.

Personal tastes aside, TWI works mostly fine as a piece of genre fiction. It has sometimes problem with side chapters as they interrupt the ride or change the flavour too much. But on the overall it is written competently enough to be readable and with (for most part) solid enough character and with little outright off putting.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

TWI has a ton of issues. The writing is like objectively awful, pacing is essentially nonexistent, and it's a piece of genre fiction that has no plot. It's really quite bad.

I'm not saying there are no issues. I am saying that it is serviceable enough for what it sets out to be.

Like two years ago I tried to reread Perry Rhodan from the beginning and found it to be much more of a chore than a number of the web serials. And Perry Rhodan is far from the worst of pulps.

Just declaring the writing to be awful seems silly, when talking about pulp SFF. Where the writing serves as information delivery.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
I think that it is relic of old views about historic times. In the past few decades the historians have been more and more showing the actual reality of ancient and medieval times and the plethora of life skills, technologies and social developments. But it takes time to filter through the population and I feel especially to non-European peoples it would take a lot to move them from a Monty Python sketch to more modern portrayals of European past. Who have been driving force being webnovels and web serials for most.

So, until we get that one web novel focusing on medieval bath houses, the peasants will remain unwashed.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Goblin language and social order are insanely loving better at communicating ideas and facilitating collaboration.

This is the actual text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

TWI has a lot of issues, but I enjoy it a lot most of the time. skip all the Flos chapters besides 6.15.K.

Do not do that. Those chapters have some crucial meta-plot elements.