Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sirtommygunn posted:

What are some good scenarios to aim for while looking to kill vermlings? I've only seen them pop up in a couple missions and usually not in large numbers.

Scenario 17 has a ton of vermlings as well (scouts and a handful of shaman), as well as tons of money tokens, just saying. I ran that scenario in some free time recently as I have that personal quest and we hadn't seen a vermling in the last like 15 scenarios we played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My first impressions on Music Note! For context I played with a team of Circles and Brute. and I'm level 4. Honestly, it was more cumbersome than I thought it was going to be. I brought a bunch of songs, because I thought I would switch them out a lot. But the Shield 1 Song was SO good, I had no reason to switch. So I often had a bunch of turns where I would use the bottom of one card, and then basically do nothing for the top because that would switch my song. I think need to take less songs, at the very least the +1 Attack song doesn't seem worth it. And I REALLY need more top actions honestly. I also thought the Disarm and the Curse Enemies/Bless Allies card would be more useful than they way. Don't get me wrong, they WERE very useful, but I often found myself pretty far behind my allies and the current enemies so the range of my stuff couldn't quite hit who I wanted. It WAS cool blessing bunch of summons and giving Circles a ton of bless cards. Overall, I'm still excited but I think maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any tips?

Wait until you see the solo scenario reward.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Played one of the new frosthaven chars this morning. May have been the first non-playtester to touch it honestly

Got through 5 rounds as the pink one, saw a ton of new mechanics and then gushed about it for the rest of the day

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

That looks like the most busted class of all of them.

Felt powerful but with clear restrictions on ending up in the form you don't want or being dangerously low on cards for damage avoidance most of the time. Seemed like some higher level cards were at lvl 1 for the demo

Currently waiting in line for the 10 am keynote

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Germinate seems like it'll have the hardest time with a rather crazy mix of positioning requirements and hand management to avoid wasting attacks or being unable to rest.

I love it though.

I'm also stoked about the crafting system, just because I love the idea of stamina potions / equivalents being less of a crutch to making the classes so capable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DarkAvenger211 posted:

When I short or long rest, what happens with my currently active cards?

If they aren't losses, you may choose to put them in your discard pile at any time and as such, you may pick them up when you short / long rest.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There is a problem with going over 4 active players in a campaign in that the item lists and player attack modifier decks become more complicated over time and are annoying to deal with.

However, the game's really good at 2 players and just gets better up to 4

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah I loved Music Note when I started, but after the first dozen scenarios, upgrading the bottom of that card, filling out a bunch of perks and getting the solo scenario item, I just wanted to nerf the class. Just so ridiculously overpowered in a 4 person group. We were just sleepwalking through level 7 difficulty.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NRVNQSR posted:

Nope; rulebook page 20, all defensive bonuses are applied after the modifier card.

Correct, otherwise this would make bless just awful against a lot of higher level enemies.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is mostly just making me hope the Frosthaven monster modifier deck has some rolling modifiers in it to spice things up.

Maybe even have monsters shuffle some cards in at the start of the scenario. Like Frost demons and the like especially would be nastier if they also gave the modifier deck like 3 rolling frosts.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

poemdexter posted:

We tried so drat hard to hit -10 rep from the very beginning, we're half way through the campaign (according to stickers on board), and all we've managed to do is fluctuate between 0 and -4 reputation. This game definitely won't let you be a bad person.

Yeah, the main group I play with has been pegged at max rep for a long time, until we took a few weeks off and I let the main guy running it not realize he was making a choice in which scenario we did next and did the kinda bad thing to the city.

Dropped us down like 4-5 rep, think we've got it all back over the next handful of sessions.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd start with the first scenario, it's very basic for a reason and will teach you a ton about how the actions and monsters work.

And just look at a list of common mistakes people make as well as a video of how monster movement works.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diviner is fairly weak at lower levels, but at high levels her perk setup is ridiculous and you turn into a murder machine at high levels, and can make some funny use of a bunch of weapons.

Early in the game, yeah, you're very much a support class that has to play with a lot of finesse until like level... seven ish?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Are you using the app? That'll help a ton right there if not. If you are and still struggling then yeah, just go down to 2 characters.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, if you want to try to do a 100 damage in a turn, Bolts is the class for you.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From reddit, Pax East card spoilers for the Necromancer and 3 of the 4 Jaws of the Lion classes.
Also has alternate playtesting cards at the bottom that may replace some of them. Fair warning, spoilers for all card levels

https://imgur.com/a/FNeWajE - Necromancer

https://imgur.com/a/NJB87Ek - Hatchet

https://imgur.com/a/k2LxjTA - Demolitionist

https://imgur.com/a/CaxqY9A - Red Guard

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eclipse's is very, very good.

Angry Face's is 25 gold.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

yeah I clicked it it was at ~500k.

By the time I finished scanning through and going, yeah, I'm gonna get the $145 tier, it was at 900k

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

One of my friends was interested in getting this game. Am I reading the Frosthaven kickstarter right in that there's a way to donate $100 and get a copy of Gloomhaven? If so I think that's actually the cheapest way to get one right now.

Plus +$28 shipping for US (I presume if you order Frosthaven + Gloomhaven, it'd be $28 to ship each).

and potentially taxes and it wouldn't ship out until July:

E: Whoops, out of stock, nevermind.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 7, 2020

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

So no plastic miniatures?

There's apparently like a half dozen people who prefer standee versions of the characters and we try not to judge that sick filth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zurai posted:

Circles is actually one of the strongest characters in the game in a 2P party. Summons don't scale with the party size, so fewer enemies means the summons last longer and concentrate their attacks more.

Also, at least at higher levels, circles is solidly powerful. After expecting it to be the worst I was pleasantly surprised with how ours worked out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TTS is definitely clunky, as someone who just finished a 6 person game of Twlight Imperium that took 4 4 hour sessions to finish instead of 1 6-8 hour session.

Once you get used to the interface, it's fine, and then it's down to just keeping people attentive. I would much prefer playing in person, but hey, you take what you can get in a pandemic.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Get it from the backer manager so that you can have cool ~~metal coins~~ like me

I got the metal coins at pax unplugged, but I do gotta wonder what the point of the 3 / 5 coins even are.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the changes are interesting, and while losing curse bomb is sad, the new Careful Atunement looks very, very good and it looks like every scry ability was enhanced with the other side typically enhanced as well so you'd actually consider taking those cards. Rift enhancements look very good as well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Truecon420 posted:

What’s the whole solo scenario reward you are all talking about? Does it occur within a normal 4p campaign

There's a released add on that contains a solo scenario and item reward for each class you can do once you're level 5.

The scenarios range from super interesting to excruciatingly difficult, and the rewards range from utterly useless to absurdly broken. Worth mentioning to your group and seeing if they want them, you can grab the pdf or order the parts for like $15.

PDF of the items and scenarios: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8ppELln5Z0rdFhFTVljWXFyTUE

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Absolutely, note it also uses the monster attack deck, not that character's (unless specified).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

and whenever you have a question, check the rulebook or faq, because otherwise that's how you have everyone retire a character before realizing you get a perk on leveling up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skip the first two, there's nothing to those, I'd start with the 3rd just at a higher difficulty level (2 should feel like a normal easy scenario), and use all the normal cards for everything instead of the A / B cards and basic monster cards.

4 is a straight up normal scenario, with appropriate difficulty and everything, so definitely don't skip past that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You just play 'em as is, they're slightly less complex (their perk deck lacks rolling modifiers for example), but they're all well built, moderately powerful characters

The cards have enhancement dots already even though Jaws doesn't have that, and the only change everyone recommends is Redguard also gets the ignore item penalties perks, since that's also missing from JotL.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Better, full answer:

Can I choose to not perform specific parts of an action and what is considered a negative effect?

You may not skip the following abilities/effects:
* Negative effects: Effects that when performed will (not may) reduce hit points, lose cards, or apply a negative condition to yourself or an ally .
* Stand alone infusions (i.e. not attached to a specific ability). Note that infusions gained from modifier cards are considered attached to the attack so they can be skipped. Also, for characters, at least one ability on the action must be performed in order to gain the standalone Infusion. This is not true for monsters, they cannot skip abilities and do perform their infusion even if they can't perform another ability during their action.
* XP granting abilities, whether standalone or attached to another ability. If standalone, at least one ability on the action must be performed in order to gain the XP.
* +/- X ability adjustments from modifier cards.
* Individual targets of an AoE attack - if you do the attack, all eligible targets in the area must be attacked. Note that Add Target and Target X are not AoE abilities and can be skipped. For Target X, you may attack less than X targets.
* Charges and their effects of a multi-use item or ability if the triggering conditions have been met

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They come right over. JotL comes with a number of intro cards that you're supposed to use for the first few scenarios, but right past them are the normal level 1 & X cards so you can go to town.

Anyway, just about any combo will work out fine, just with some characters taking on funnier roles if you go that route. Scoundrel loves another character that'll stand in melee with them, and a mindthief is a very funny 1-2 punch.

Our current group that's wrapping up the game is currently those two + diviner + another locked class that can't take a hit. It's pretty funny when your tankiest character is randomly going invisible

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thanks, I mocked up the cards to play with my group the last two times, so it'll be nice to have sorta vaguely real ones instead.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Lightning Bolt had my favorite play style, there's nothing better then Charging into the dead center of a room, chugging a potion, hucking axes at literally everything and screaming nobody gets out of here alive. Especially Me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We had a circles go great in our 4 player team. Much better then what I had heard about the class. It did not hurt that we had the one other class that synergizes incredibly well with it.

Also finished scenario 10 of Jaws of the Lion last night and I think that boss scenario was way better then any of the ones in regular Gloomhaven. Excellent design.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think Voidwarden was for Frosthaven, I think it was just a prototype design they had half finished that they decided to use once they moved Necromancer out. It's pretty fun as far as support classes go (and am playing it in a group with 3 newbies, so I spend most of my actions baby sitting them instead of doing cool poo poo)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The most important thing you can do as Lightning bolts is enhance Strengthen on the bottom of Bounce Back. It will be your most used action by far.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bagrada posted:

Can anyone please PM me or spoil with what the current unlockable classes in the PC game are? Symbols are fine, I know music note and triangles are in for sure. Not sure who else they've gotten in there yet. A friend and I did a few coop missions last night as Brute and Scoundrel, it was a lot of fun. It should be great once they get the campaigns and the rest of the classes added.

I believe that is all of them.

dwarf74 posted:

TBH a bottom-side strengthen is ungodly strong on like 80% of the game's classes.

Two rounds of strengthen is one of the strongest effects in the game.

True, but that one also combines it with low initiative and a heal 1 to clear poison, all on a move 3. It's such a perfect workhorse card for lightning bolts

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zurai posted:

This is totally confirmation bias talking, but I played a scenario the other day where I drew a null six times in the first two turns. Four-person party, but still enough to get me frothing mad. I still won, but it was a close thing. I drew another null near the end, too.

You can't do that unless you're somehow attacking 100+ times in a turn.

You only reshuffle at the end of a turn when you pull a null.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aggro posted:

Once the Mindthief hits level 9, I’m going to try out Music Note and Triangles. I haven’t unlocked them in my tabletop game. Do those classes work well together, or are they both too support-heavy? Could I use them as a 3-person squad with the Cragheart?

Music note combos well with literally everything, but poorly with Triangles' main gimmick. Music note is the pure support class until higher levels when it starts to poo poo out damage on top of being the support class. She has by far the best perk deck in the game. Triangles starts off more like a breech loading rifle. Does solid damage, but needs time to setup and things to go right for that to happen and is easily disrupted compared to other classes. Later on his gimmick kicks into high gear and will be constantly making GBS threads out elements and using a ton of them to do cool things. Triangles is closer to a Cragheart that traded being able to go faster for having the most convoluted requirements to actually doing any cool poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's fine for advantage to be weaker for some classes, it means they also get less benefit from bless, but are penalized much less for curse or muddle.

That said the perk decks for certain classes should absolutely be looked at because there's no excuse for what's going on with Music Note or Diviner vs a bunch of the weaker ones.