Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Just finished part 1.

A month or two ago someone made a comment to me about Makima being 'such a snack'. They deserve an award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Big benefit of catching up in being able to go mining for memes.

https://twitter.com/franmm127/status/1625538057771286528?s=20

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm a sucker for slice-of-life juxtaposed against an off-kilter setting, and Chainsaw Man: Part 2 scratches that itch.

Nothing beats the contextually banal "annual zombie outbreak and hunting contest" in Dorohedoro. Talk of even more slice sells me on part 2.

Did I blank it out or was Aki actually lighting the Easy Revenge cig only in the anime?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Have you not started part 2? You should really start part 2, part 2 rules.

Was trying to stay legit and read it through whatever official source but they aren't making it friendly nor making me want to read anything else they offer; on top of their grammar mistakes and other just weird choices (devilman vs fiend?) I just went through what was on mangadex, took half a glance at their app, and called it a day.

I like reading on my vertical monitor. Gating poo poo in a mobile app is anathema. It was obnoxious enough I didn't even remember the name.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Whichever I was looking at had part 2 to present for free on a 'can open the chapter just once' kind of deal but it was app only. Mangastream?

$3 ain't bad though. Is it the same translation still?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

All caught up.

If I had a nickel for every time Yoshida talks to Asa while she's got her head bonked against the school wall...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Im guessing it's this. the fail devil

Ooo Failure Devil has a nice ring to it...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Denji is the expert of swallowing his trauma

:perfect:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Aww dang, we're gonna be left hanging for two weeks?

Das Boo posted:

Space-brain theory: Kobeni is contracted with the Falling Devil.

My headcanon is Kobeni is contracted with some crazy poo poo like the failure devil in a way that it can just take over completely. What she truly fears is the things it will make her do and succeed at, but most of the time it just likes to sit back and watch.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 16, 2023

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Needed the power-up to go after the rainforest devil.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Technically shark died in hell so should be back already?

Maybe it's less discretely ontological...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Elite posted:

Not to go all POWER LEVELS, but I do think Darkness Devil seemed stronger than Falling Devil. Primals are all extremely powerful, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re all equally powerful.

I think very few devils are afraid of falling, but many could be afraid of the dark. I figure power is as contextual as the fear that powers it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

we were shown dark slacks and what looks to be sneakers of some sort. so my natural inclination is that it's someone younger

I was gonna point out that Fujimoto is super consistent with shoes but then I had to poke around a bit more than I expected. Yoshida is wearing school shoes in all but 103 (I didn't check part 1) and his outdoor shoes are white sneakers.

Anyway, Falling Devil is voiced by Ron Perlman in my head now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I saw a youtube fan video that gave Falling a French accent and that is too perfect.

Yup. Head voice was Mistral's VA from MGR.

SexyBlindfold posted:

i know that we all enjoy kobeni's misery but surely Fujimoto has to draw the line somewhere

Kobeni already got her 'normal' life completely rocked again. Going back to Pubbies is probably safer and less traumatic just for whatever nutty contract had her ninja flipping bullets.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Based on the clothes, it looks like a male student. How many such students carry swords?

tbh Kobeni upgrading to a proper sword would be truly badass.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

This chapter was another beautiful example of the Denji Derail. It's when Denji seems to be speaking deeply about some subject like death or companionship or obligations, but then switches to saying something outlandish at the very end. This happened after the first fiend he killed too, or pontification on boob touching being overrated.

I'm starting to think he does have those real deep thoughts, like his care for Nayuta and the doggies being the seeming subject this chapter, but lacks the emotional and maybe even literal language to express such things to others and instead settles on something he does know he wants.

Or maybe he's a basic bitch teenage boy. idk.

:perfect:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Eimi posted:

This is getting out of hand now there are two of them?!

Did nobody realize the panels were very intentional in chapter 111, showing Denji asleep while Yuko got bdroom'ed? There's been a second one this whole time. It's probably Pochita still running around solo after the Makima gambit.

My money is he hangs out with Kobeni now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Feels a bit out of character for Denji. He's usually pretty eager to learn.

100% in-character when Power is there to influence him. She steals half the braincell.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Chainsaw Chewsday tomorrow right? I don't think I can handle it skipping the same week as Suletta Sunday.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

NowonSA posted:

All four horsemen serving as parts of a larger whole that all their defining traits/natures fit into would be fun. Kind of similar in context to how the seven deadly sins all fit into that "sin" category, I'd be interested in what "category" the horsemen would fit into the in the Chainsaw man universe aside from just "is a horseman."

Not having 'a word' for the horsemen category can just be because the chainsaw devil ate it. I love this universe.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

tbp posted:

i thought the twist that fami is actually trying to prevent the major apocalypse thing was kinda neat. i genuinely didn't think that was the case

I had the hint from the beginning that she's, for lack of more elaborate description, Reverse Makima. I didn't feel like she'd casually chat with someone in a cafe about the end of the world if she was behind it instead of against it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/Dino_illus/status/1680324311435952131

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Donkringel posted:

To be fair I think he was half expecting what happened to happen and wanted to trigger the trap.

He's known this for a long time. He does enjoy being right.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Flair posted:

The last couple of chapters have been such a ride with twists and turns in its punchline:

1. Denji's depressed with normal life. He is so depressed that a prospect of date does not cheer him up.
2. Denji gets happy once his date propositions herself.
3. Denji finds this behavior suspicious. He goes with it anyway.
4. Denji is now content with "normal" life.
5. "Normal" life becomes abnormal once a row of random strangers try to attack Denji at karaoke.

Did Yoshida set this up intentionally, or did he get tricked? Are the strangers in league with the girl, or does the girl have a devil power to have men fight on her command?

Swap the real meaning of normal and abnormal and that's my read on CSM as a whole:

Conventional, domestic, safe living feels wrong for Denji, like there's more danger in it than the chaos he's known for a long time and ... Wait, is that a common trauma thing? :ohdear:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nayuta did tell him to.

... and wiped her memory.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I saw someone online say that Kobeni is just a courage the cowardly dog gijinka and I thought that was pretty funny.

Also it will be very funny when Kobeni gets dragged into Denji and Asa’s nonsense again somehow.

Maybe you never visited the anime thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9lRU120YOg

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Kobeni's gimmick is that whatever contract she has, she's so afraid of what it can do that it just makes it even stronger.

I still think it's the Success Devil.

Because that's a mood.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Denji doesn’t seem that happy about this lady being super into Chainsaw Man tbh.

Reze was notably into Denji, not Chainsaw Man. There's a difference there.

This is going to turn into a fine treatise on masculine worth errantly being rooted in utility and I'm for it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cleaving whole buildings or something. Teleport slash is too Kurosawa to be anything but katana.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Valentin posted:

it pays off the first choice makima offers denji, to be killed by her or fed by her.

:distonk:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

chefscientist posted:

gently caress YEAH I loved Chinese food in Japan. Although in a similar way it was very homogenized in a way similar to Americanized Chinese food except it was tasty as hell. Also the best place to get cheap tasty gyoza.

The one singular 'actually spicy' place I found in Tokyo was a little Indian restaurant that kicked the rear end of any local one I've been to.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Denji may confuse physical affection with actual love

He very much knows the difference. He knows that biting power was a Very Serious Intimate Thing and what she was to him even after she was gone. He currently doesn't have anyone like that and damned right he's gonna woo the poo poo out of some girl first and they won't bang until she tries to kill him at least once.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Elite posted:

The elimination of wars really just furthered the power of the CIA-backed Rebel Insurgency Devil.

Special Military Operation Devil

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

galagazombie posted:

All you posers saying Chainsaw man ate the years after 1999 when I’ve been saying it since part 1!

Y2K devil would be a thing...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Reze was notably into Denji, not Chainsaw Man. There's a difference there.

Aww man. Is Fujimoto reading my posts? Please don't be reading my posts. You'll know how to hurt me more...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

So Makiyuta being a sister to other horsemen means 'Conquest' makes just as much sense as 'Control' right?

It's very much the same domain but also way better fits Makima's description of how she could gain power.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

GloomMouse posted:

EDIT: Basically the four horseman and what they represent is kinda all over the place so Fujimoto can do what he wants

It can also just straight up be five, but sometimes Gabriel riding while blowing the horn is the 5th, sometimes Conquest is the 5th, and sometimes Conquest just randomly replaces one of the other four (Death, Pestilence, Famine, War).

It also seems really stealthy and intentional to go with 'Control' instead of 'Conquest' in part one, but is probably just a happy accident.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I do not want to think about what goes awry if something happened to their critters in the meanwhile. I don't want this whole scene to be telegraphing... :ohdear:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah, Barem Greyjoy Tarasov is getting fuckin' eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah and I hate it. Having a movie that is inaccessible to me in any legal manner until like a year after it aired and then after I finally watch it having half a season wasted on the movie recap sucks! Looking at you, Demon Slayer. At least One Piece, Spy x Family and MHA have the grace of their movies not being a part of the main story.

I think the Reze arc almost manages to? It's like a side-story that explains what Denji also is before the endgame. It's plenty self-contained and should fit in a movie.

I was actually worried about the rest of Part 1 fitting into one season, but slicing Reze off into a movie should be just enough. They can't do a big recap in the season proper without undoing what this solves.