Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Entropic posted:

GTN ebook is free for a bit on Tor.com!

Ooo, nice. Thanks for the heads-up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ragnarokette posted:

Ok this is what I was pretty much looking for. I think I got sold some bad expectations going in because I was told it was a light romance, and it's really not, at least yet

Wait, wait, what?

ragnarokette posted:

a light romance

What?

Someone lied to you, friend.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Alopex posted:

There is and it is titled "Talk Derby to Me"

Hot drat, please tell me it's at least entertainingly bad.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ConfusedUs posted:

Past me was an idiot. Harrow was one hell of a book.

I largely despise second-person perspective narration, have just walked clean away from books over it, and yet Harrow was definitely worth it.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Someone in full skull facepaint trying to make eating a burger look dignified and failing. Possibly intentionally.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Well. It's not the burger I wanted, but I can still appreciate the burger we got.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Leng posted:

100% agreed with this. I get what the marketing department were going for with "lesbian necromancers in space" but it seriously put me off because it only conveyed the setting and nothing about the story. Also I had heard a lot about things being meme-y. If it had been pitched to me as locked room murder mystery with necromantic science, I would have read it a lot sooner.

I will confess to the Lesbian Space Necromancers pitch totally working on me. I was in the mood for something that didn't take itself too seriously while also taking itself totally seriously, if that makes sense, and was rewarded amply. Plus I am a sucker for necromancy in specific and space fantasy in general, so your suggested pitch also would've worked really well on me.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh dear. Nona is a good kid. She's not going to have a good time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fortunately, they do have their own site.

https://www.onefleshonepod.com/

Gonna have to start listening to this.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

mewse posted:

I like "We go looking for why the art we love is moral even if the art we love is a donut."

Heck yeah. Similar sentiment to the sometimes vague, sometimes very focused feeling that art must be high-minded, that literature must be literary. And screw that, most literature that's hung around was pop culture in its time, told for the masses.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I suspect Nona is going to give me a curious mix of flashbacks to my niece's toddler years and flashforwards to her impending teenage years, frequently all in the same sentence.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

cptn_dr posted:

Get in friend, we're gonna gently caress up an octopus

gently caress yeah! Fourth House best house, time to be some horrible impulsive teens!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

One flesh, one bone, one true religion,
One voice, one hope, one real decision,
Give me one light, yeah,
Give me one hope, hey,
Just give me
(mumblemumblesomething)

Jod: "Gimme fried chicken."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fourth House just like the older quiz had it. gently caress yeah, gonna be a lovely teen when I grow up!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

If the protagonists were smarter Muir would have to create an even more tangled reason to avoid explaining basic setting facts.

Oh, that one's easy: They already know this poo poo, why do they feel the need to have an expository discussion on it?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

Would you have to avert that dark future by banning him, or by asking him to become moderator of ADTRW?

It's too late, he's already set on that path from the day he dropped the :10bux:.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

cptn_dr posted:

If people are bored of this they can tell me, but I made another Locked Tomb cocktail

I don't drink at all so I can't evaluate a drat thing about them aside from looks, but these are neat to see.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fuuuck it's already so close, I kept putting off rereading the books because I wanted them fresh in my mind when I started on the next but now Nona's right on the horizon. Welp.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That may have been the plan, but we all know the actual reason behind it all is that she's an overdramatic twit who was absolutely enjoying hamming it up as the slasher movie murderer as well as playing the poor dying sick girl. There's no way she wasn't doing it for that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

smug n stuff posted:

Seems like the emperor should establish some kind of system for keeping track of his Lyctors, imo.

He tried chipping them but just had to give up on taking them to the vet in the face of Gideon the First's puppy dog eyes.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

Did he even pick the individuals? It seems like he just asked for all the heirs (since Teacher was surprised when two princesses showed up).

I'm honestly unable to figure out exactly what John thought was going to happen.

He did name Harrow directly in the missive to the Ninth, so he knew which names to call, but most likely was still just calling for the heirs because they'd be most invested in continuing his empire since they're already on top of it. I imagine he called for Coronabeth formally in his letter because she is the heir but the house had to push the "born at the same time" excuse to have Ianthe along, given she's the actual necromancer of the pair.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

silvergoose posted:

Like who wants to kiss whom, which is the most important kind of question to be answered

According to my meta-analysis of all the fanfic ever, the answer is, "Yes, but not all at once, except sometimes all at once."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

DreamingofRoses posted:

Honestly there’s something specifically about this book release that’s super electric. I mean, The Golden Enclaves, the last book in the Scholomance series, is coming out next Tuesday and Be the Serpent has been out (I’ve just been waiting for the audiobook release) and while I’m excited for them I’m not going anywhere near as crazy about them as Nona.

Personal theory, it's because of how Gideon and Harrow were both such very different books in a lot of ways, like in tone and what parts of the world they dealt with and how they dealt with it. It demonstrated already that Muir could handle an abrupt shift like that and still make it something really good and compelling, and even often still funny despite the general tragedy and fear miring Harrow in her book. So suddenly we've got a book whose premise sounds like a high school AU fanfiction joke? Where the cover art goes from "slightly goofy but also really cool Gideon" to "cool and grim Harrow" and then suddenly to "cheery teen and her dog"? So we've got another shift, one that sounds like a big goddamn joke, and I am also holy poo poo all on board with seeing how it plays out this time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

gently caress yes my library has Nona in their digital collection already, nobody else has checked it out, and I think I know exactly which librarian is responsible for its presence. I love having speculative fiction nerds with good taste at my library.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kesper North posted:

suddenly imagining Nine Houses breakfast cereal in the shape of tiny medieval weapons

That stuff sucks, though, just get the bulk bag full of bone marshmallow bits.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Going back to the practicality of Jod's world-saving plan, I think that's mostly about him having a huge messiah complex even when he was a normal person. He picks up on this Musk-esque "save everyone by launching them into space!" idea that's just not practical even with space elevators and an easy canning process, and is unable or unwilling at the time to process that he bought into some prick's stupid plan that eventually got shut down on him. And ever since he became some kind of actual necromantic god-thing, well...

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

A friend has just started reading these books and his commentary as he goes along is a delight. But he's also a fast reader so I'm going to have to actually focus if I'm going to finish Nona before he does.

Also, as an aside, finally got myself a copy of The Dawnhounds after this thread put me on it. The blurb is very enticing and it's going to be the first thing after Nona for me.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Not done with Nona so I don't know if this bears out any or is strongly contradicted, but with the constant slow expansion of what "necromancy" means over the course of the series - not just between books but even within them - makes me wonder if instead it wasn't supposed to be some kind of more general biomancy that John was to have learned. Power over organic material, not just death and souls. But John, being very focused on saving people, never really expanded properly out beyond that and explored his abilities beyond his whole death-and-human-biology thing. Yes, he gains power from thanergy, but complex life basically requires feeding on death so of course things would have to die in order to be renewed. Basically he was supposed to be a D&D druid instead of a D&D necromancer.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cavs and their necromancers are also an incredibly romantic concept (in all the various senses of the word) that make for beautiful propaganda back to the Houses' own people about... everything. It humanizes the necromancers, it's good for love stories both salacious and courtly, and it gives a lot of non-necros something to aspire to within the Houses. Imagine all the necromancers without their cavaliers in the first book - without a cav around to moderate their impulses and help with their image, nearly every one of them would've deservedly been shoved out an airlock by their peons at first opportunity.

EDIT: Normal necros also have actual limits. Even prodigies like Harrow are seen breaking out in blood sweat a lot more easily early in GtN. Your average necromancer probably benefits greatly from having someone reasonably buff and trained by their side so they aren't risking burning out defending their own lives should it come to it.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 21, 2022

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Danhenge posted:

Follow up question, y'all think Muir will sink to a "kneel before Jod" or "kneel before God" moment before Alecto is though?

Zod, I loving hope so.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

And I am finally done. Good book overall. I wasn't that into the stuff around daily life and the gang, but also Nona's story really deserved to be its own full thing if only to make her unraveling at the end really hit as hard as it does. Poor sweet kid.

Also I was right, Jod absolutely was supposed to be some kind of super-druid but was so caught up in his meat-and-death paradigm that he hosed up what Earth was trying to help him do.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Sailor Viy posted:

Finished it, loved it. The one unanswered question that really stuck out to me by the end was:

How did Gideon's and Harrow's bodies basically swap location between Book 2 and Book 3?

At the end of HtN, Harrow's body is on the Mithraeum. And in "As Yet Unsent", Gideon's body is held by Blood of Eden (at least I'm 90% sure they said that?) But in NtN, it's the exact opposite.

Pyrrha briefly explains to Nona how she absconded with Harrow's body, so that's fine I guess. But as far as I could tell there was no mention of how John got his hands on Gideon?

Camilla or Pyrrha (I can't remember which right at the moment) does mention to Nona that there was some kind of altercation when she was still very young and they lost "something important," which I assume is about Camilla and Corona losing Gideon's body after "As Yet Unsent."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

AcidCat posted:

So was Nona actually in some kind of communication with the resurrection beast above the planet - and was that beast speaking to her through the captain when they were on the trucks at the end? Or did I misinterpret that.

That's pretty much how I read it too. There was some weird kind of communication going on, not just Nona's usual attempts to befriend everything.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

One of the things of Nona that hit me the day after I finished it, a very "wait, what the gently caress," thing as the back of my brain nudged a couple pieces together, was the question of, well... Remember when John promises to send people to restore the Ninth for Harrow, early in HtN? At the time I was just all, "Of course he somehow has people on ice for this, he's a weird necromancer god, who knows what he gets up to." Oh gee he just still has EVERYONE from the death of Earth and the Resurrection still hanging around, he can manipulate memories when he resurrects people, he's probably got billions in reserve still and just plays with them however he wants. You know, all those people he was so desperate to save.

Jesus Christ, John.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh yeah, Jod loves being God. Dude is full of false humility about it, wants people to be his friends because he doesn't want to be surrounded by completely obvious yes-men... but are still basically yes-men that he can boss around when it comes down to it. He wants both.

He's the kind of person who likes humans but only in the abstract, because he doesn't actually like people. People are messy and annoying, but fun when he can move them about as he feels like. When they're listening to the Obvious Smartest Man In The Room: him. And, like with the end of the world, why might people ever not listen to him? Clearly because they're too stupid, not because he lacks credibility or suggests something dumb himself!

I say this as someone who also thinks of himself as humanist yet dislikes actually dealing with people. I empathized strongly with Jod during his (self-serving) narration in Nona. But I also don't have any illusions that everything would be solved forever if everyone would just listen to me.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Also, are the "Enemies of the Nine Houses" ever expanded outside of the Resurrection Beasts (and Heralds) and BOE? Because the former seems to be something that you wouldn't be able to have a formal military fight with, and the latter sounded like a terrorist group rather than an army, which makes me wonder who the 2nd and 4th houses are fighting.

Also, look at the War on Terror. Or imperialism in general.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Reclaimer posted:

When in this particular series has the simplest answer ever been the right one?

Hot Sauce's name.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Everyone posted:

Honestly if you're at the point where you're weighing the value of genocides you've kind of gotten off track.

The series doesn't seem like a "we must overthrow the evil sorcerer no matter the cost" so much as "how can we fix/mitigate this one guy's really bad decision?"

Plus for some people an element of, "Sure the cost is terrible but he hurt me personally so gently caress it," that I got out of the Lyctors realizing there could've been a better lyctorhood where they didn't destroy their best beloved, among other issues they have with Jod. Or at least that's how I read certain motivations in HtN, though it's been a while.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Anode posted:

I found out today that my wife is convinced that Ianthe and Corona are not identical twins. The idea that they aren't has never even crossed my mind, and it seems like nothing in the text comes out and says it though it seems sort of necessary to me for thematic reasons?

Even their first appearance makes a lot of how they are basically identical except Corona is somehow wildly more radiant while Ianthe looks drained of all vitality and presence. The line goes, "It was as though the second girl were the starved shadow of the first, or the first an illuminated reflection." I don't think much of their descriptions in relation to each other would make sense if they weren't identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

In my head, Palamedes basically has Cam's haircut in that image except it's white for some reason. I think because it makes him more anime and he would absolutely be trying to be an anime smart boy. Also my brain jammed Raphael from Fire Emblem: Three Houses in to Protesilaus's place and I can't stop imagining him that way.