Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I keep praying that Shoei updates the X-14 so I have an excuse to upgrade from my RF-1200. Maybe next year lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

I've had an X-14 / X-Spirit 3 since 2018, would recommend. Though I guess it's not worth an upgrade if your current one is ok.

The RF-1200 is definitely too good to warrant paying the big jump to the X-14 for no reason but if the X-15 comes out I'm probably going to just say it's time to replace it based on the age even though it's only 3 years old now lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Raluek posted:

what did you like about the SR over the 1400? i spent some time today trying both on, and couldn't tell a difference. I guess it's an older design, but for $100 that seems to be not the worst thing in the world.

I'm really struggling to find gear that fits the rest of my body, though. I'm tall and thin, and apparently that's not allowed. The only gloves in the store that had long enough fingers were the revit ones, and they only had textile. I tried a pair of those forma adventure lows that everyone loves, and they look great, but if I select a size that fits my foot (44) then the calf is way too loose. Or downsize to a 43, calf/ankle fits but toes are cramped. Similarly, if I try on a jacket, it will either fit in the shoulders and be a circus tent in the torso, or it will fit the torso but be tight up top and way too short. Aren't moto brands supposed to fit effete european builds??

I'm in the thin and tall club and Dainese is the closest I can get to stuff actually fitting most the time. It's ended up being my first choice because of it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

FWIW I've gotten away with just using the tinted visor on my RF-1200, it's not as aggressive as I thought it would be. The caveat to that is that I have relatively good eyesight and most my night riding is in the city, but I have gone out of town on the high way the odd time and I didn't feel like I was flying completely blind.

I used to use sunglasses under my helmet in my early kart racing days and its certainly a viable option although I would really push to find something that's as comfortable as possible if you go that route

I'm due to replace my RF-1200 and I'm kinda hoping the X-15 comes out in North America some time soon.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

Yes that is correct!! I haven’t gone helmet shopping yet, so not sure which one they’re going for. M2020D is the “traditional” Snell while M2020R is basically the rubber stamp.

The Shoei website shows the RF-1400 is M2020D, while I don’t see anything listed on the Arai website.

I’m concerned that the NA market will be boxed out of the modern ECE 22.06 helmets because they somehow don’t conform with DOT. It doesn’t make sense to me that manufacturers would bifurcate their helmet line otherwise. Unless the manufacturer don’t agree with ECE and just conform for market access?

Someone please explain :sweatdrop:

I thought it was the reverse with D being a rubber stamp for the DOT market and R retaining the actual standard but to be honest there's been close to zero communication on this to the point where I view the snell standard as close to meaningless now. I'm strongly suspecting thats why the X-15 isn't in America yet. Seems like FIM/ECE standard doesn't really gel with NA DOT standard and Snell only muddies the waters. I'll just bite the bullet and import a ECE helmet cause I don't trust the DOT standard at all.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its very nice that you look incredibly optimistically at them not sticking to their principles and beliefs in their own standard and suddenly turning out two seperate new designations rather than lose market share but I am just a touch more pessimistic at the reasoning behind that.

Proposing the idea that what crash standard is best is really a matter of consumer preference is some absurd business marketing bullshit, one standard will objectively be safer just because we have crash statistics that show what and where the majority of impacts occur and can work to mitigate those risks. I don't trust Snell's voice in that conversation any longer given that they've decided maintaining a presence in all markets is more important than putting together the best standard possible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

No, one standard is not objectively safer than the other, because all crashes are not identical.

uhhh thats not how actuarial sciences work lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MetaJew posted:

Edit: I wish it came in some more exciting colors. The graphics seem pretty generic to me.

I always find graphic helmets a bit kitsch but everyone else seems to love them so maybe I'm the oddball.

Having said that yeah the colour options for the X-15 are fairly uninspiring.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MetaJew posted:

I was trying to commission an art from a friend, that I could get made into a sticker or decal, of an art nouveau prancing ram-- since it's sort of my family's coat of arms.

It never panned out, but it's still on my mind for something to put on a solid white helmet-- which is what I will likely buy.

Yeah thats basically what I did. Small decal on the back of a solid white helmet.

I think doing your own graphics is rad but there's something about going the stock ones that strikes me as a bit garish.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'd wear this one here but not for $1,000 yikes:

I'm going to Japan in October and I just looked up the prices over there, it's around $650USD in Japan. I'm playing with the idea of just buying one when I'm over there with that kind of price differential.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm aware the helmet will be illegal but I'm also thinking that the situations where that's going to come up and be relevant are so ridiculously impossible that who cares.

I only have third party liability insurance so it would have to be one hell of a claim for the legality of my helmet to factor in.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Geekboy posted:

I am pretty morally opposed to anything with a monthly fee, but does anyone have experience with one of those bike trackers? Ideally it would let me share my location with my partner when I’m loving off alone and maybe detect a crash as well as letting me find my bike if anyone ever decides to gently caress with it.

I’m more interested in the first two than the last two. But it’d still be nice to know I have at least some chance of finding my baby if someone takes it.

Yeah, I’m already set up to share my GPS location with her through google, but that’s a bit too dependent on Wi-Fi networks and such. I have an iPhone, in case that makes any difference.

fwiw my solution was buying an airtag and popping it under the seat, not really going to help on the crashing end of things but the tracking would be solid.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

KillHour posted:

Incredibly dumb question but the laces on one of my Dianese boots frayed and broke (this guy https://www.dainese.com/us/en/street-rocker-d-wp-shoes-201775174.html). Where the hell can I get replacements? Hopefully ones that won't be so poo poo. Looking on Amazon, I only see fat round laces for work boots, not flat ones.

This happened with my Daineses too. Fortunately the alpinestars I had before them don't reinforce the holes for the laces which caused those laces to saw through the leather so it was a quick swap over

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

Anyways, a broken rib is miserable. I do not recommend it.

I broke a rib kart racing years ago and it was so loving painful to breathe I went from smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to cold turkey quitting in the space of a week. I don't wish that poo poo on anyone.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've got a perforated leather jacket from Dainese and it works for me other than being cooked a little at lights. But I don't mind the heat that much so it's whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm suprised you fit into into dainese as a fat person tbh because I'm relatively thin and my dainese jackets have all been relatively tight fits. but then again I'm 6'2

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carteret posted:

It's a pain, yeah. good news is they sell "install kits" independently so you can swap the expensive unit from helmet to helmet while keeping the wires in the lid

edit: some thing like this
https://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Audio-...523&sr=8-1&th=1

Maybe more of technical question but is it easy to take the backing plate off and leave the wiring plumbed in? I just got a new helmet and usually I just run a wire to a bluetooth dongle and connect it to my phone, it looks like they're standard 3.5mm jacks so I can make that work if possible. It would be nice to get a pac talk for the 2-3 times a year I ride with my dad but I don't particularly want to have that thing lumped to the side of my helmet while I'm just going around town.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

hit the bricks pal! posted:

Has anyone had luck with a different sized center pad for Shoei? I had a medium Qwest that fit fine but I get forehead pain in my RF-SR after an hour or so. I've dealt with it for a bit now and was debating just trying a RF1400 but if a 5mm pad alleviates it that would be ideal.

It makes more of a difference than you would think. I had similar issues with my X-15 and after playing with the pads it fits really nice with no discomfort and feels better than my old RF-1200 which I was really happy with.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So I had the good fortune of not knowing that mounting your iPhone to your bike completely fries the autofocus on the camera so I just use that as my GPS now and got some helmet speakers and a bluetooth dongle, the audio nav instructions suffice 95% of the time and if I'm unsure I can just do a quick glance. I do wish somebody just made a small screen thing with audio navigation because that's exactly the sort of thing I'd be interested in replacing the current set up with.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

yeah if the screen was half that size lol. I just want a quick glance on where to go, I'm not trying to watch goodfellas while riding my motorbike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Not really sure but my usual method for figuring stuff like that out is to just find the part number for the accessory kit, part or whatever and trace it back to what models are compatible.

I hate wiring speakers in so hoping in advance you don't need to do that lol