Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone ever successfully germinated an avocado pit before?

I tried putting one in a bag with a damp paper towel in a drawer, but it wound up growing some mold before the root could emerge.

Tried again tying some twine around the pit and suspending it over a container of water. This was in lieu of the toothpick method you see on the internet. It's got a light crack, but no root yet.

I have no aspirations of producing fruit. We just eat a lot of avocados and I wanted to add one to my dozens of houseplants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, it’s super easy (just like chuck it in a pot and it’ll do its thing, ideally you can put it outside for a few more weeks) but it’s gonna be super stringy and unattractive unless you can give it a lot of light and time.

Avocados are like apples in that they pretty much never breed true from seed wrt fruit, so you def won’t get any usable fruit and also it would take you like a decade.

Tbh, if you are interested in something attractive that can also produce fruit, you can get a dwarf 4-5’ grafted tree pretty easily.

They produce some that apparently make great houseplants if you can handle a 5-7’ tree (just keep it pruned) and can move it in and out of the house seasonally (or have it outside year round).

I thought about getting one/will probably eventually get one for my mom and was seeing them for around $100.

Apparently mature ones with 3-4 years on them post-graft can throw out a lot of avocados all winter long, so uhh maybe this is a thing you should pursue?

Yeah I had no fruiting aspirations... until you planted the seed of grafted tree.

We barely have enough space in our south-facing living room for my fiddle leaf figs and yucca canes in winter, but if these things are genuinely cold-hardy, it could live on the porch...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s all the pollution, plants live for that poo poo

for real, plants gobble up those nitrates

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

It is dry as gently caress in my house this winter and my fig looks like it's getting the poo poo kicked out of it despite my mistings.

No sagging or anything but I'm getting some leaf drop. Some of the spotting looks more like root rot, which is a little bewildering to me since the soil gets really dry really quick. Is that possible?

Thinking I can maybe move it closer to our backdoor so it will get more light and some distance from a vent. Cat palm also looking crunchy and sad.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Wallet posted:

It's certainly possible. They are prone to it and how dry the top of the soil is doesn't necessarily reflect the rest of the pot. Does it have a drain in it? How often are you watering it? Also realize that how much water a plant uses is relative to how much light it gets, so if it's getting very little light it will also be using very little water.

You can always pull it out and take a look. Rotting roots should be pretty obvious (dark/mushy instead of light/firm).

As far as I can tell misting does virtually nothing to improve humidity for plants unless you're doing it like, once an hour.

I water between once and twice a week in the winter. It's generally bone dry at least a hands-span down the pot and it's got proper drainage. You can see in the pic I also have a soil moisture meter, which I don't think is actually worth a drat, but is at least useful for digging into the soil to see how to feels. Always quite dry! I've moved in front of our glass door and pointed a little grow light at it. Maybe more light will help. It's a bit of a monster, so would be hard to pull from the pot, but maybe I'll try later.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Does look like some light root rot. The roots weren't mushy or decayed, but some were looking a little darker and unhealthy. Looking at my pot, the drainage holes were all in the middle, which is slightly raised, so water may have pooled in the lower area. I just aired it out, drilled a bunch of holes and repotted it closer to the glass door and now we'll wait and see.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Maybe a touch but certainly things could be a heck of a lot worse. If root rot gets bad enough you can tell quickly by the rancid smell, too.

Oh for sure and the lack of mushiness or smell was good to see. Just having a hard time squaring away it NOT being root rot with the appearance of the spots on the leaves.

Spring can't get here soon enough. This FLF loves it outside.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

(Mother plant for display purposes only. Not for sale)

This owns. I took partial inspiration and rescued a philo my wife was killing and it seems to like growing along the wall.

Also put up a couple planter hangers in my office. What should I put next to Ms. Pothos? e: Nevermind, just moved my spider plant there from our west-facing kitchen windowsill.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 7, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Is stem rot a serious concern when propagating a monstera in water? I've seen some people online saying to only put aerial roots in the water, but that seems both logistically difficult and really uncommon based on pictures I've seen.

subpar anachronism posted:

That's not a philodendron, it's a scindapsus :)

Thanks! Updating my spreadsheet. My wife had it in a hanging basket outside last summer and I never saw the tag on it before I had to rescue it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where can I find nice hanging planters for indoors? The home depot by me is pretty sparse

I posted a pic of this a page ago, but I had the same issue. Could only really get plastic garbage, no drainage, or one of these wire things with coconut liners.

So instead I just bought some nylon rope and followed the advice in this twee youtube video to hang some plastic pots I had. (It took me a lot longer than a minute.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

A study in contrasts. Monstera? GREAT. Baby Yuca Cane? Pretty poo poo. (Though only recently relocated to this window.)

Big daddy Yuca? Great! Cat fern? Crispy. Fiddle leaf? Strategic retreat.

I've been able to get the fiddle outside with some nice weather recently, so I'm optimistic after all this leaf drop. But spring can't come soon enough.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t gently caress with poo poo like Fiddle Leafs. No need to subject myself to that torture when there’s all these excellent monsteras and strelitzias and big succulents to get instead

plus you won’t look like an Instagram page from 2014

More like fickle leaf amirite?

I have two of them. One I inherited that would just drop leaves at the slightest change in anything. She is basically left for dead and I'm plotting for better uses of that pot. The one pictured has been a champ for a good while. It's grown a good five feet since I got it two years ago and it handled our move last year really well and thrived being outside last summer. But it did NOT like being stuck in a darker corner of our living room and has been committing suicide ever since. I've pruned the top of one stem and I'll probably notch the other come spring.

It is funny though that all the fiddle leaf advice on the web is from middle-aged rich-looking white ladies.

skylined! posted:

There's also some great ficus that do fine inside that aren't divas. Benghalensis is a beautiful tree that grows very well in bright indoor light and doesn't drop all its leaves the second you turn the heat on. Hell, mine even branched on its own inside this winter.

Funny you should mention, my wife just got me a new little buddy today.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 26, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Beauties! Cool dog/swing too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

come on.........come on..........

it’s still too early in the season, but it’s soooo tempting to start bringing stuff out

We have one day with a 33-degree overnight low on the 10-day forecast. I just got my blueberries in the mail and planted them anyway.

Precious indoor babies will have to wait a little longer.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

You can dig up caladium bulbs in fall and store over the winter.

I've got one sprouting inside, but waiting for Mayish before putting the rest outside.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

redbrouw posted:

I bought a townhouse condo and my condo board just slapped us with a notice saying to get our front 3x8ish ft plot in order. The previous owners had an agreement to let one of the other owners plant in it, but we tore it all out when we saw how terrible it looked and replace it with the barest covering of decorative mulch while we figured out what to do. Then we got covid and forgot.

If this is the right place to ask, what information would you guys need to help me not spend money stupidly? I'm obviously not a garden person, but I don't want to kill anything because it can't survive in Canada or something.

Wait, the condo board is upset with a plain mulched bed? Do they require certain kinds of planting or that it's just weeded or what? I'd think they'd be happy with a mulched bed...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a shrub, preferably flowering, that would do well in partial shade and can tolerate poorly-draining, mostly heavy clay soil? I tried a rhododendron in that spot and got a couple of years out of it before it got root-bound and died. I'm in northern Indiana, zone 6A if that affects things.

Wait how does a plant in the ground get root-bound? Can you not amend the soil in the planting site to give it more room to run?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Serious question, what is the District of Columbia doing to maintain the cherry trees donated in 1912 that are still kicking? Proactive trimming? Luck?

idk the answer, but it seemed like a good opportunity to share my favorite of the Tidal Basin cherry trees.

Still blooming motherfucker!

As of 2019 anyway. Wouldn't get COVID for the sake of blossoms.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Unrelated, I've got some peonies that have enough flower buds on them that they've gotten top-heavy and are splayed out all over close to the ground. What's the best way to shore them up so they grow properly?

I use tomato cages, but they only work for the smallest plants we have. Peonies have gone gangbusters for us this year. Wife has filled like 6 vases inside with them and they just keep coming.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Is there any greater sound than hydrogen peroxide working its way into a pot of soil disintegrating fungus gnat eggs? Fuckers are out of control this spring.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Canadian Bakin posted:

Thought the thread would appreciate a picture tax after answering my questions about my cherry trees.

The fruits of my labor thus far, with probably a good five more pounds to come.

I don't trust cherries not to have worms anymore.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

We're now at that fun time of year where the plants that have flourished and got huge on our back porch have to be brought inside because we're hitting the 40s overnight. Most of our usable windows are east-facing, so it's a crush of green in those few spots right now.

Monstera takes up the whole living room and this is AFTER aggressively pruning. If only it gave a poo poo about that moss pole and grew vertically instead...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Hello again thread. I'm looking for a recommendation for an indoor houseplant and I'm pretty open to anything. Here's the space:

Basically I want a plant for the right side there. The plant on the left is one that I posted about a few pages ago in here that I'm hoping with all the light in the new place will start to pick up a little (and it needs a repot).

Here's the important details:

• Has to be safe for my cat in terms of not being something that will make her sick if and when she bites it
  • I'm in Vancouver BC but it's basically zone 8a in the hardiness map. Guessing that doesn't matter much for indoor plants but thought I'd try to provide as much info as possible.
  • This room and indeed the condo is heated by a gas fireplace and I suspect is on the dryer side of normal. It's a very consistent temperature at least, around 24C all day and all night (75F)
  • I expect to have it on a plant stand but a large plant that can chill with it's pot right on the floor is fine also
  • Related to the above, looking for a plant that's around the same size as the one on the left
  • The light you see coming from the left side of that photo is from floor to ceiling windows facing NW. Lots of afternoon sun and generally lots of light all day long, the blinds are never shut
  • There are a ton of nurseries and such around here so I should be able to get pretty much anything that is feasible for this environment
  • I can't wallmount anything, that's drywall on concrete and the paintings are hung with 3M sticky strip things.
  • I don't mind getting a young plant that's currently small but will grow to fill that area within 3-5 years.

Thanks! Open to very unusual looking plants or really whatever people think might look nice there. If the scale isn't obvious in the photo, the plant on the left is currently standing around 6' tall, on a stand that makes up like 2-3' of that.

Corn plants are toxic to cats, but given that the foliage is generally high-up on a cane, cat shouldn't be able to munch on it. Pretty much the same with a yucca cane. Both do reasonably well in so-so light.

For something on a stand to match the other plant, a ponytail palm can get to around the same size, though they do like more intense light.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Can anyone tell me what type of plant this is? The closest I can get is "some kind of palm" but we need to know in order to make sure it's cat-safe.

We're "inheriting" a few houseplants from some people moving away. The two others (rubber tree and umbrella plant) we already know we'll have to rehome.

Looks like a droopy dracaena marginata to me -- aka dragon tree. Toxic for both dogs and cats, though not especially so.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just planted a couple pecan and paw paw trees. Man, are bare root trees ever an expression in consumer confidence.

"We have sold you this this bare stick. You must now trust it will turn into a plant eventually, long after your window to review this transaction or dispute it with your credit card company."

e: They also came with a fern as a throw-in. What kind of fern? IDK, just fern. Good luck with it!

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 3, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I want paw paw trees so badly, but I have too many trees, its already causing huge problems with trying to find any kind of area in the yard that actually gets full sun. I like hostas and all, but if I've bought a house I can't grow tomatoes in someone's getting pruned next year.

In the specific case of paw paws, they do quite well in partial sun or shade, so you could stick some under trees you already have?

All the ones I've found in fruiting season in and around D.C. have been firmly in the understory of forested areas right by the Potomac. I think water is the limiting factor more than space or sunshine.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Using a spray bottle can help. The smaller droplets adhere to the soil particles better.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Anyone have experience removing pachysandra? The beds in our front yard are lousy with it. I've tried to tackle it in the past, but it holds onto the soil way too well. And there are tons of bigger, shallow roots under it too, presumably from a nearby oak, that make it really hard to tackle with a spade.

Trying to figure if it's really plausible to do by hand or if I need to go nuclear with some black plastic or something.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I was going to take out some by hand with a Japanese weeding sickle last summer. However we had someone with a excavator at our house for another project. I paid him to dig out a huge patch of it. Super fast and easy with an excavator.

I tried once to use a rototiller on some and it just jammed the whole machine up. Would not recommend.

Ha yeah my tiller just bounces off the wall of roots. Was also considering renting a gas powered auger.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

they do smell like cum tho

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

We've got hostas in the gutter-dump plant sewer next to the garage the rain garden we definitely designed by choice and they do a really able job of just filling space with no real input from us.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I put in some sad looking bare root trees last fall -- pecans and pawpaws. It's now May and they still look very much like I planted small twigs. Scratching the bark with a fingernail shows they're green and thus technically alive, but how much longer should I be waiting for a sign of life before giving up on them?

They were uh... not terribly inspiring even from the start. Should just have bought from a local nursery.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What else is out in your yard/neighborhood? For instance, are the trees in full leaf? That's one way of checking whether the winter is actually over. Other than that, I'm sorry, and it sucks when plants don't thrive.

Also, I'm kind of appalled by those tiny root systems on a big ol' trunk.

Yeah they are uh... a bit behind.

Might try again in fall and then in the meantime try and foster some of the volunteer maples that are popping up everywhere.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Can you even grow sunflowers in tiny pots? Don’t they need big roots to support themselves?

Even just sprouting them in small pots is risky because the roots are really sensitive to transplanting, though it can be done.

I'd put that guy in a final, in-ground home as a hail mary but it doesn't look great for him.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've always had middling success sowing poppies in carefully tended raised beds. They do OK, but not very prolific. This year I'm getting some gorgeous volunteers just popping out of my brush pile. Their progenitors were Danish flag variety, but they've got this lovely purple this year.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 6, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Saw this guy post about germinating poppies inside a while back. Apparently they don’t need the cold stratification?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpdXGb1O4Re/

drat that dude is trying hard. I usually just dust the bed with seeds in early spring.

Although like I said, germination was weirdly bad this year. I guess they were older seeds though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The previous owners of my house were incredibly bad at keeping up landscaping, so I am always a little surprised when something like daylilies just pop up amid our nested warren of hostas and native weeds.

Meanwhile I think my poppies have reached the end of their yearly run. I think these are just bog standard blackfly, but they've absolutely covered my lower leaves so I think they'll be done soon.

And then we put up a bee hotel in the garden which has largely gone unused... although this morning I am seeing a ton of eggs for... I have no idea what. They're not the wasps I was hoping for I know that...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Got a new desk lamp because my mothers of thousands were turning into leggy bitches on the window sill.

Bonus view of flowering haworthia in the back.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

To maybe help others, I found this article on combining garden hose with drip main lines, which at least gives a recommended order of how to put the components together:
https://help.dripdepot.com/support/solutions/articles/11000081042-garden-hose-or-poly-tubing-what-should-i-use-
They recommend 1" or 3/4" tube for the distance rather than garden hose, but garden hose is using what I already have, so at least for now I think I'll keep that and save money. Later on I can replace with poly tubing that'll probably last longer and come in a less conspicuous color than my neon yellow flexzilla hoses.

I do timer > backflow > garden hose > pressure regulator > hose thread adapter > 1/2" tubing > 1/4" drip and emitters. Mine runs up a hill in my backyard and while I haven't measured the PSI, it's not optimal for all my emitters, but it gets the job done.

A lot of hoses you get commercially are sneakily 1/2" interior diameter anyway. Poly tubing is kind of annoying to handle, I wouldn't be running like 20-30 feet of it in lieu of a hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Sold my fiddle leaf on FB marketplace and I feel freeeeeee