Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
hi religion thread

longtime lurker, rare poster, but, uh

can i like, dump a bit in here? i'm... going through an experience of what i can charitably call religious upheaval and i think i might need some thoughts from random shitposters on the internet

if this isnt cool feel free to yell or whatever

xoxo sinnesloeschen

ps on behalf of cspam (well, the trump thread) i am sorry to the goon who got avrolled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
ok cool its gonna be long and incredibly incoherent because that's the process at the moment, and i am happy to spoil or whatever to keep the thread readable

so i am a jew. like, wasn't raised, converted -- a jew by choice. not for marriage or any other external locus*, but because at the time i believed that my head and heart and my twice-damned soul were moving in the correct direction by becoming a jew. that was, uh... twenty-ish years ago?

what's unusual (as i understand it) about my conversion process (and i mean, i did all the poo poo, formation classes and mikvot and kashrut and the Beit Din and a b'mitzvah, the whole nine yards -- it took about three+ years, as i recall) and had incredible support from the community and other jews that i would commune with. i even started the process (after conversion) of the cantorate, doing music work and ministry in a lay(ish) capacity while i was waiting for the fuckin JTS to decide whether or not this particular convert could join the ranks

so my conversion ceremony happens, i get my hebrew name, i recite the Shema holding a Torah from a burned out Czech synagogue, a loving Holocaust survivor (z''l) witnessed for me, there were tears &c, it was all very moving and I thought i'd had it sorted. right? lmao, no

so like, the minute my conversion process was completed, the community, like, dropped me? like they were weirdly standoffish and it didn't help that at the time i was (okay, i still am) super-pro Palestinian (no, i dont think white phosphorus grenades should be used on marginalized peoples, sorry not sorry) and super-super active in LGBTQIA+ activism. i remember getting into a screaming fight with my rabbi around the DOMA (2008? maybe) because he wouldn't officiate gay weddings in our "progressive" shul because it was "against the law" and it's like, dude, you're on the wrong side of history, and and and

so. my attendance at shul waned over the course of about five years, although i still kept the laws at home, Shabbat and kashrut and all that, and when the JTS said that i wasn't eligible for the cantorate (for a plethora of reasons, most of them academic at the time -- i have two master's degrees now and potentially a third on the way because i fuckin hate myself and fun and free time) i got a gig working for the episcopal church as a choral scholar and sacred music librarian

now, the episcopal church ain't like nothing i ever encountered as far as christianity -- like, people read books and had debates about them and worked for social justice and held eucharists underneath bridges where the homeless pop slept in my city -- i got real into the music of the church while serving at ______ cathedral as well as a couple of parish churches and the whole time i'm like, episcopalians are cool as hell. i got to learn about thomas merton and that old fart cranmer and people like michael curry and brian cole and carol wade and remember having a conversation with loving kathryn jefferts-schorre when she came to visit. much like the reform jews, the episcopalians were always super welcoming, warm, heavily bent toward social justice and were doing poo poo like consecrating same sex marriages (whether or not this was outside the canons is not knowledge i have at this moment) i got into discussion groups about the bible that we had in fuckin like, bars and arcades and it was just generally a really fruitful and fulfilling time in my life.

so i kept working in churches from then to now, serving as director of music for a UCC, a methodist, and a presbyterian congregation, but none of them ever felt like the episcopal church to me. at this point, i barely keep kosher, i haven't been to shabbat services in ages, and the only holidays i really acknowledge are rosh hashanah, yom kippur, and passover. i am now the director of music for a tiny episcopal parish in the middle of nowhere with an ageing (dying) congregation and a community that has a metric shitload of needs -- transient services, veterans' services, homeless and soup kitchen services, and and and

i have been in my current position for a year. this gig is the nicest ive ever had -- i get to work and teach and have a ton of time left over for scholarship, research, ministry, etc. because i have had this "extra" time to really think about and move through my life and religious experience, it's been p dope. i have no blinders about just how incredibly lucky i am to get to do what i do. i'm fairly active outside of music ministry here as well; i run a soup kitchen night, i've started a compline service, i've gotten to talk about the history of women musicians in the church, etc; i've moderated formation hour, i've done children's and youth ministry, i am (of course) highly active in LGBTQIA+ and indigenous and POC outreach, and i do some interfaith work here as well -- mainly reconciliation, as that's a huge initiative in the episcopal church. i still don't take communion, i'm not baptized (never have been, as far as i know) and there are swaths of the prayers i just dont say (mainly the parts about Christ and the triune God and the like). I've never not believed in the holy spirit, but i conceive of the HS/HG as "the breath, the giver of life (kol haneshama)" who descends like a fire to help us speak truth to power and lift up the lowly.

there's the background (mostly). its much messier than i'm presenting, but if you want the real gory details PM me.

here's the problem: about three months ago i had a "milestone" birthday. i took a week off, hid in a tent in the woods, ate shrooms, and generally tried to see if i could sort myself out a bit. i did, but i'm learning that sorting oneself out is a process that takes time -- unfortunately, there is no on/off switch for being hosed up.

about two months ago, i had a dream that i was a priest. please let me note -- i come from very superstitious and backwoods redneck motherfuckers from the hollers of appalachia. dreams and portents and prophecies were a Thing to my people, and while i take the tack that dreams are often (not always) the brain sorting out its meatbag's lived experiences, sometimes dreams might be a pull to something. after all, i met my longest longterm partner (20+ years, parted amiably, still love each other) after having a dream about them and then calling them up. so, for me, in my experience, some dreams mean A Thing.

so then i was like LOL WHAT THE gently caress U A JEW, DOG. so i'm clinging to that identity, because when you convert specifically to judaism you are (sort of, not completely, i don't want to be appropriative) changing your ethnic and social identity alongside your religious and spiritual path. so i didn't do anything for like, a month -- i just kind of sat with "lmao what does this mean what the gently caress am i doing oh god help"

so then i started, real slow and quiet like, asking questions of a dear friend of mine who is a lifelong episcopalian and in their 70s is undergoing discernment for
ordination. just things like "what is the church to you, why did you decide to do this, what are your issues with church polity" &c) and bless them forever, they have been incredibly patient with my occasionally misguided and usually blasphemous questioning. and i started reading, like, a lot. im still reading a lot, but i did then, too (thanks ill be here all week)

so then i read about THE DISCERNMENT PROCESS, which is huge and scary and whatever, and i was like, nah, man, i'm cool, i'll just keep being me and just being musical in the church until my rector stopped me in the hall after easter day service was done and said "you and i are gonna have A Talk" and i was like oh poo poo

so it turns out the Talk takes, like, a million loving meetings? and like, homework and poo poo? so now after two meets (ongoing) with my priest and folks in this diocese i'm now in official, honest-to-god discernment courses -- real small baby steps. i am going very slowly, and i am trying to be very, very deliberate about all of this, because a) I'm A Jew, b) my last conversion process took for-loving-ever, c) lol oh god what am i doing here, and d) i need clarification, i guess, on the Holy Mysteries and Divine Miracles that are the bedrock of smells and bells church poo poo, right?

so i turn to you, my beloved shitposting religious community, for help. i have a lot of basic questions about like, the baptismal covenant (in the context of High Church, i guess) but i am 120% open to any christian willing to sit with my bullshit. in the process of all of this, i am forming an idea of the kind of ministry i would do, and there are.... watchwords? things that catch my eye and my breath and make me go "gently caress YEAH I WANNA DO THAT LFG" but i wonder if i'm not just, caught up in the spirit?

the other Big Thing I am struggling mightily with is this: when i converted, i considered myself a jew that needed to be codified -- like, i been a jew all my life, and the conversion process was just sort of, like, cementing that? but now i wonder if all of that pain and turmoil and struggle that i navigated was, like, not real? like because i am considering followin jesus, was all of that stuff just me like, lying, or, was it inauthentic? will i be betraying my beloved witnesses and former community because i... wasn't right when i said i was jewish? nobody, ever, likes to be told that they're wrong. and not only is the possibility that i was wrong, but that my spirit was wrong. i've been using the baptismal covenant of the episcopal church to kind of suss out what im feeling/thinking/being, and the whole part about dying unto sin makes me think, like, well, poo poo, is that what i'd do? i'd label my jewish life and two decades of experience as "sin" because i was wrong? and what's to say i'm not following yet another "wrong" path now, because i had a stupid fuckin dream with a golden host and the lights were so warm and comforting that i didn't want to wake up?

im sure theres more but im at 10k+ words and im out of juice. hopefully there is something in this big loving pile of bullshit that yall can speak to, and even if there aint, i appreciate the chance to dump some of this out and try to sort through it

xoxo yr longwinded rear end pal sinnesloechen lol gently caress i guess i should hit post

*this is not entirely accurate. i started conversion because of a potential life-partner type situation but once that fell spectacularly and violently apart i kept going, for reasons

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Cyrano4747 posted:

So this isn't what your asking about at all but this stood out like a flare to me:

You might want to reconsider this unless you have some specific and compelling reasons for stacking masters. Reasons like "this particular niche industry/career path I'm on needs these." Feel free to swing by the academia thread in SAL if you want to talk about that, but the tl;dr is that stacking masters is almost never worth it from a career perspective.

If you're independently wealthy and this is what entertains you, shine on you crazy diamond.

i appreciate this, dad, i know that, and you know that, but lmao in the state of kansas (ten years ago) its not enough to have a master's degree in music to teach public k-12, you also need an education degree (whereas i was mentoring university students with one master's and a shitload of practical xp, gently caress you kansas)

fuckin kill me (it turns out after more research and a frantic call from my rector that the diocese has a school that is free of charge for postulants just like me!)

tldr dont ever get a fuckin master's, kids

thx for the reassurances yall, its helping a little but i still feel kind of weird about it

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just saying something because I've seen that pattern in other places, from people who were getting really bad advice and being strung along by predatory admissions officers. MA + MEd makes sense, even if the second requirement is silly. Didn't mean to offend, my apologies.

no offense, mate, it pisses me off to type it and have experienced it and that probably comes across real hateful-like

i advised all my students to only do it if they literally cannot do anything else

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Nessus posted:

It sounds like this shul let you down hardcore. Was it Chabad or something? They might have thought, OK, our job is done, we got the stray sheep back in the herd.

reform as dammit, progressive, active in the community, young(ish), thriving at the time (and now as well on cursory glance)

it was disheartening but i thought that was kinda how it was :shrug: turns out, not so much

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Earwicker posted:

good perspective

Freudian posted:

excellent advice

AngryRobotsInc posted:

this is actually super comforting

hey y'all i'm still listening, keep it comin if you've got it -- i know it's a lot and its probably not relevant to most ppl ITT but i really do appreciate your thoughts; esp. freudian's advice to chill tf out (i really am trying to do so)

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Killingyouguy! posted:

re: this and also the three masters degrees - i don't mean to diminish all you're going through and all you've achieved but, do you just need to always be working towards something?

this here post has taken up quite a space in my heart the last few days; mostly because it's been an ever-present fear of mine for so long (also wrapped up in things like feeling inadequate or like an imposter, poor self-esteem creating a space in my head to always try too hard in order to be validated but then i got way older and just lol if your work is the only thing you think makes you valid, it's a load of poo poo, please relax) BUT i started thinking about the concept of always working toward something and then this thought spiral of "well is always working toward something objectively a negative thing?" and it's like well in judaism there are the concepts of building the world to come but also leaving a little work unfinished for the next generation -- is that bad? is the building of the dominion of god on earth and in community a bad thing? or is it the idea that i'm always working because silence and stillness are sources of fear/pain/terror for me; that i cant be content with present and now.

after a lot of reflection i think it's both, for me, personally. ive absolutely had periods of my life where i had some poo poo to prove and i worked pretty relentlessly to complete and achieve those goals. i have absolutely considered pursuing a doctoral degree (i'm capable, have gone as far as the funding stage, and just wasnt in the spirit i needed to be to go forward). my teaching career is stable, solid, and blooming a lot of opportunities for ppl in my community to access smart instruction. at the moment, i'm actually pretty content with my life and where it has been and is (once i accepted responsibility and agency for my choices, the consequences, and my future dreams) and the bolting of this new paradigm in my life a) makes me skittish, and Tias down below here hit precisely that point -- EGO EGO EGO? or legitimate conversation with the holy spirit? and b) would upend a life ive worked real, real hard to build, and while im not "scared" of change (obviously) or new and different, i am enjoying a calmness, after a sort

all thats to say thank u user Killingyouguy! u made me think a lot and its helped to clarify (a little) the stew in my brain

Tias posted:

Yo Sinns, I'm not actually certain having lots of problems with faith necessarily qualifies you to be a spiritual leader. I mean, it *can*, but I've wanted to be a preacher for a long time, and I've found that I actually am an expert mostly on me. This means that I've started helping folks doing what I need to do, getting clean and sober, and helping others. It's a valuable job too, and probably does further some sort of spiritual development for both me and others.

Also, kudos on doing mushrooms in a tent, that is no joke a not insignificant part of spiritual enlightenment if I'm any judge.

yeah i moved to a place where tent ceremonies are common and had a lot of help from them in figuring out what i was going out yonder for

huge fuckin grats on gettin clean and staying clean -- as a former heroin user this is always really comforting to see (others made it out!) i am completely enamored of how you worded the idea that you feel like you want to help and serve a higher purpose but really maybe thats your pompous self putting on airs, when instead of the pomp and circumstance the real work is on the ground helping others and in process healing yourself. we need more people like you

Prurient Squid posted:

I read Sinn's post on and off over the course of several days!

Anyway, they said something about discernment.

I kind of think that a lot of the mechanics of Quakerism: concerns, meetings for clearness, ministry etc... is actually about creating a ballast or counterbalast against enthusiasm or sudden ispiration. Like the aim it to stop you having a sudden epiphany and deciding to go to Africa to help children or whatever without slowing down and going over it.

Actually I very almost did vocal ministry but someone else spoke and the moment past. Afterwards I was told that I was right not to have spoke because if it was really the spirit I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. This annoyed me at the time but maybe she was right.

idk man im neurodivergent and that friends statement (probably meant in earnest kindness!) sounds like justification after the fact; and that "the time" isnt right maybe means that you needed more time/different time to figure out if you want to pitch in, and ppl who arent versed in the weird diversity of brains just saw it as a "oh well Prurient Squid just isnt interested". my lived experience has led me to be a lot more forthright (probably to an obnoxious degree) about stuff like that just because i think the other way is elitism/gatekeeping for old broken systems

HopperUK posted:

Moby Dick is really good.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Killingyouguy! posted:

I guess, yeah: if you're at a crossroads spiritually, how do you distinguish 'I believe this is true' from 'I would like this to be true'?

this is a fuckin mood right here, stupid loving brain, why cant i just be mindless like most american christians

eta also these

quiggy posted:

I think this is a much better way of phrasing what I'm trying to get at. Like, how do I reconstruct my sense of place in the universe without just feeling like I'm either making up some bullshit or picking an off-the-shelf answer without interrogating it enough?

Killingyouguy! posted:

Making up some bullshit is valid imo

p much yes in my estimation; i feel like the best we can do is kinda, like, gently caress around towards right speech and right action and hope it goes well? (i am only being sort-of jokey here)

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
i love borges to pieces but all that made me think of was the wisdom cube talking to meatwad about his amazing 5-page-long vacation plans that he wrote in a fugue state and then lost

meatwad: "you lost it?!"

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
today is the feat day of athanasius, which meant that i got to make the following incredibly tasteless joke

OFFENSIVE DO NOT READ: ARIAN SUPREMACY BITHC

now i get to listen to how much the church and diocese appreciates the diaconate, who they dont pay and also treat like complete dogshit

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
brb injecting myself with hematite to avoid getting COVID-69

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
i sure hope the pope isnt reading the thread for your sake

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
ooooOooOOo this is dope rn im worrying my way through the hilarious car crash of greek/jewish philosophy during the second temple period (cos i wanna know how jesus became god and how that eventually "made sense" to the early church or whether they just like, shoved a round peg in a square hole and called it good)

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Bar Ran Dun posted:

shitloads of quality words and like at least three months of rumination on my part

holy poo poo a lot of interesting ideas here; it's funny because i just finished daniel (the Son of Man bit) and i had a lil epiphany that the maccabees were struggling because the elite (daniel &c) couldnt or wouldnt provide support, tacitly or otherwise, but the idea of overthrowing leads right up to jesus repeatedly and blessedly owning the pharisees as hard as possible :allears:

second: the commingling of memra and logos makes a shitload of sense once it's flatly presented (as it is here)
i will still go to bat for my man arius even though he was a complete heretic (but i wonder how much the political situation in alexandria contributed to this, with athanasius being king poo poo of gently caress mountain and arius bein like, havin camel poo poo thrown at him of whatever)

third: the concept of angels and demons being subsumed pagan gods from other cultures is fuckin, like, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat -- i mean, i completely see it but imma personally need some more time with the concept because its cool as poo poo and also scratches my syncretism itch

last: just started the book of tobit and fuckin lo and behold asmodeus rolls up in like, the third chapter. it's a little funny to me that ol asmo becomes like, the scooby-doo stock villain of second temple literature, and is (unless i am 100% wrong which is typical and expected) the main push to "creating" THE DEVIL, so to speak

thx and jah bless

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“The element of doubt is an element in faith itself. And what the church should do is to accept somebody who says to them that this faith for which this church stands is a matter of my ultimate concern, which I want to serve with all my strength. But if you are asked to say what you believe about this or that doctrine, then you are driven into a kind of dishonesty even if in this moment you can say "I believe," e. g., concerning the Virgin Birth – or whatever that may mean. If you say you will agree, then you are dishonest.. . .; you may subject yourselves to this whole set of doctrines as long as you are ministers, and you can say you cannot promise because you cannot cease to think, and if you think you must doubt. And that is the problem. I think the only solution on Protestant soil is to say that this set of doctrines represents your own ultimate concern, and that you desire to serve in this group which The element of doubt is an element in faith itself. And what the church should do is to accept somebody who says to them that this faith for which this church stands is a matter of my ultimate concern, which I want to serve with all my strength. But if you are asked to say what you believe about this or that doctrine, then you are driven into a kind of dishonesty even if in this moment you can say "I believe," e. g., concerning the Virgin Birth – or whatever that may mean. If you say you will agree, then you are dishonest.. . .; you may subject yourselves to this whole set of doctrines as long as you are ministers, and you can say you cannot promise because you cannot cease to think, and if you think you must doubt. And that is the problem. I think the only solution on Protestant soil is to say that this set of doctrines represents your own ultimate concern, and that you desire to serve in this group which has made this the basis of its ultimate concern, but that you can never promise not to doubt anyone of these special doctrines.”

Paul Tillich

srsly fr this hit in a cool n good way thank u

also lol who says u cant attend mass and temple

thomas merton is a thing for a reason

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
some examples of anger in music (and this is only drawing from the western art canon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KkSsj75sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NACeUqS2D4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL6mtix9Xbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvZqNQ71l0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWE0pVQPXJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s0Mp7LFI-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOQzo4QuY8U

also wtf is christ doing throwing chairs and turning over tables in the temple, chasing out the moneylenders -- is he not (righteously) angry?

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not a Christian but "anger is based, actually" is, I'm pretty sure, a very un-Christian message.

Also would Jesus doing that fall under the realm of "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord?" Many a Christian encountered far, far greater evil than that and greeted it with equanimity.

well tbf there's... a bit of distance between the raging alcoholic dad semitic war god of ezekiel's preaching days and the jesus movement, and i admit my read of jesus is v much along the lines of "incredibly pissed off rabbi who upset the entrenched political systems vis-a-vis table throwing and by serving the poor and lifting the marginalized" rather than the beatific (lol) peace-christ that a lot of christians read him to be (i got no beef with ppl who follow jesus and arent self-righteous dicks about it)

i do think jesus was really the only guy that could have upset the structure of post-second temple judean collaboration with the roman government, kinda like how "only nixon could go to china"

eta: please also understand that i am literally, legitimately, dumb as poo poo

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
an... "unemotional jesus christ" take was not one i was expecting, and if im completely honest i simply dont think im studied enough to understand that particular perspective

eta: same with god fuckin carving the poo poo out of settled peoples in order to get the israelites to judea; i always pictured that part of the torah like the nuclear fire scene from terminator 2

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm just going to infodump a verbatim Jeff Foster post on the self help industry. I do this as a self help junkie who might have gone a little too far at the moment.

edit:

I kind of want to read this out in front of an audience. Maybe I should look for venues?

this owns

do it

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

quiggy posted:

God Hates Figs

lmao

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Nessus posted:

I don’t get it either. I guess this is why Bertrand Russel brought it up. That said, if the one thing Jesus did “wrong” as the mark of humanity, was curse a bad fig tree, that’s pretty small change.

apocryphal, but jesus also blinded a kid and threw another off a roof because they pissed him off

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Deteriorata posted:

I think actually Jesus was accused of pushing the kid off the roof, but he raised the kid from the dead and the kid then admitted he fell off the roof.

ok but he totally blinded that one dude (afaik he fixed it later but lmao)

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
birth gospel owns

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Nessus posted:

I think we're mostly just shooting the breeze.

:hai:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

NikkolasKing posted:

If Religion thread wants to talk Metal Gear Solid 2, I'm down.

hell yeah lfgggggggggggggg

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Liquid Communism posted:

I'll be blunt, there's no paradox if one simply accepts that a lot of Christians historically have been hypocrites regarding the difference between what they preach and what they practice. That doesn't mean there isn't good to be found, or that the teachings are wrong, just that people and organizations are flawed and prone to do terrible things for power. The worst excesses of the Church's support for imperialism (or outright corruption and sale of religious apointments and indulgences back home) are matters of historical record.

DING DING DING DING DING DING

like literally right now (okay, actually monday because i had to put my baby boy down today) i am working with the episcopal church to try and even attempt to undo some of the horrific assimilation poo poo they did w/r/t boarding schools and anglicization of the indigenous populations, and im not alone

a lot of us in the ECUSA are incredibly angry at the seemingly endless litany of the wrongs the church (the whole church) has done in order to both spread and maintain patriarchal white supremacist hegemony, and ignoring that history is a sin, in my opinion -- BUT -- this anger spurs positive change in the work we try to do to unmake a lot of this death of the spirit, the death of the message of christ

what finally got me to come round was that there is categorically and explicitly no evangelism in these works -- we feed poor folks, we get resources to the rez, we try real fuckin hard to build bridges that by all rights should not exist because jesus said to help the least and so thats what we're gonna fuckin try and do

so yeah any christian that willfully ignores the holocaust of violence that it took (is taking) to make christianity the "default" religion in the west is guilty of sin and they need to seek christ (unironically)

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
so im watchin some bbc thing about the history of christianity (as such) and for real did luther and zwingli split over a fuckin sausage?

please confirm this in the affirmative, i need this

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
from everything i know about zwingli, this

quote:

Word of their transgression quickly got out, and the people who partook of the sausages were jailed for breaking canon law. Swiss reformer Huldrych Zwingli, who was present but did not inhale, quickly took to the pulpit to defend them. Historians think Zwingli helped stage the Wurstessen, planning the event alongside Froschauer with the intention of challenging the legal obligation to fast during Lent.

is 100% plausible

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

these own

i got my mind blown open the other day when i learned that the orthodox churches got around their interpretation of ''graven images'' by doing 2d representations of christ et al

i was like ''hell yeah that owns''

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm too tired

Put better, I think art, politics, these things are the new meaning structures people need to deal with life given the collapse of organized religion.

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i just wrote a theological reflection on this very thing (sort of)

too many swears in it tho

sinnesloeschen fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 31, 2023

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There’s quite a lot of broiling unhappiness over schools and the pandemic, and in some places curriculums are very legislated with little deviation allowed which is a pocket if one has ND kids.

Remote was a massive failure and it’s basically gone unacknowledged and in many places they’ve basically just given up on trying to fix the problems it caused.

This of course is being used by the right to do racism.

'It is this collective trauma, the abject failures of technocracy, capitalism, ‘’democratic representative government’’, the myths of white supremacy, American and Western exceptionalism, and failure of “the shining city on the hill” that’s enabled and inspired a lot of analog horror (and adjacent weird ARG projects) which have beautifully showcased the incredible talent, ability, skill, diversity, and passion of regular-rear end people; people who are trying to make sense of a world that is now not only senseless, but actively hostile to rising generations... Why should any of them trust any of us, for anything, at all?... [U]ntil we (and yeah, I mean WE) acknowledge our failures, admit our mistakes out loud, and start walking the Jesus walk as opposed to just using Jesus as a cudgel for moronic, hateful, bigoted, and spiteful ‘’culture war’’ paradigm, we – and the beautiful and precious things we hold dear – this fragile earth, our island home, treating other people as whole and complete human beings, the beauty and diversity of our shared lived existence, and true, honest, and vulnerable community -- where all are fed, all are clothed, all have a safe and warm home, and all are acknowledged for who they are instead of the stupid cookie cutter capitalism and religious dogma that has forced us to abandon hope for our future – will die. All the things we know will die. All our ideas will die. All the work we’ve done will die. And it will get worse.'

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

i would like for this writer to be slowly lowered into a vat of bleach until he is dead

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Prurient Squid posted:

This week on Thursday I found an open mic venue in town. The turn out was pretty low. There was me, a guy who came out of curiosity and about five regulars there for the jam night.

So I was encouraged to get up first and read the poem by Jeff Foster (posted earlier). I got a big round of applause when I was finished.

Some day I think I might write my own poems and read them out!

So I enjoyed it anyway.

gg!

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is pretty close to the idea of: the event of Jesus as the Christ as the ground of being.

the stone that the builders rejected has become the &c

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Tias posted:

Well, some faiths (heathenry, hinduism) says we ARE in the age of poo poo going wrong, but that it will eventually resolve itself for good, or at least balance.

hi can i hear more about this plz

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
re episcopalians (also only my perspective, im heinously leftist, dont listen to what i say, etc)

so rn in ECUSA theres been huge shifts in their social and religious thinking, mostly w/r/t social justice, inequity, the fact that lots of episcopalians can be hilariously racist and/or maintain the racist power structures that have benefitted them and their parishioners for long and long

meanwhile there's a shitload of us working with no money, no power, guarding migrant borderland groups, leavin gallon jugs of water behind fences, and feeding folks (i just served 100 meals last night)

i was talkin to a beloved buddhist friend of mine about why people dont come to our particular parish church and he was like 'because they think they're better than other people' and i was just fuckin floored; i'm having to really pray and reflect on that lately

i dont think we hate god. i personally know that i fuckin hate what we've done to god. for a not-insignificant number of people membership in an episcopal church can be seen as something of a status symbol (although in 2023 this is vestigial at best). i know a lot of episcopalians do look down upon charismatic and evangelical churches for their typically odious social views (but privately parishioners share with me their longing for a more joyful, energetic, and charismatic episcopal church, which i largely agree with tbh). there's also something sort of like but not quite what the UMC is going through at the moment within ECUSA, although it's been mostly done and dusted it seems everything is being relitigated these days.

we've also got our presiding bishop in hospital with severe heart trouble so everything might change if he pops it

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:same: btw, thank you for that post Bill!

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The Christians I grew up around spoke intensely of the love and safety they felt from God, but also of a sense of terrifying awe that made it clear it was not the kind of love I had ever yet experienced, being an actual child. But they were equally intense in their disapproval of me not experiencing the "right" emotions for God, in a way that made me extremely conscious of the fact I loved God wrong, or just not enough maybe. I felt the absence of feeling the kind of Belief all the adults and seemingly other children around me felt too. Eventually, something began happening in my life that necessitated my prayers and praying to my family's God continued to leave me feeling alone and wrong. I prayed instead to a God from an ancient history book I had read and I felt it -- that love and safety and then immediately behind that a little bit of terror that I had felt so heard. Religion was from then on a very confusing thing for me, but I have always been able to center back on Belief, because I felt it when I needed it and knew it by its name.

this is a really cool story and all of ur posts in here have been cool and good

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Azathoth posted:

No small amount of ink has been spilled on exactly that question. I'll offer my own thoughts, which I think are generally in line with mainstream Protestant interpretations, and I'll touch a bit on the Historical Jesus, as that's one of my personal areas of interest.

First, that cry must be understood as Jesus directly quoting Psalms 22 and so any interpretation of what the cry itself means has to be grounded in what the psalmist is saying. I'd recommend reading the whole thing, which I'll link but not quote: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2022&version=NRSVUE. The psalm is about someone feeling that all is lost but still trusting in God, so keep that in mind as we go forward.

Given the psalm, I take the cry to be that of one suffering in absolute desolation and despair, which is fitting for someone being crucified, as crucifixion is not only designed to be supremely painful but also supremely humiliating. Jesus, at that moment, feels furthest from God the Father, but with his cry he doesn't just express that he also expresses his trust in God's plan. This is an area where Jesus the man as understood in the context of the Historical Jesus butts up against later theological development of the Trinity, which I'll address more in your second question, but for now, let's not inquire too deeply over exactly who's plan we're dealing with.

This idea of Jesus being willing to suffer and die is prefigured by his anguish in the Garden of Gethsemane earlier when he says "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39) and then "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.” (Matthew 26:42).

I would also argue that Jesus, as fully human, experienced the full range of human experiences and an unavoidable part of that is feeling despair at not being able to perceive the presence of God in times of hardship, yet with that cry, he also simultaneously expresses that he knows God is there and that he trusts God.

Now, admittedly, this is a complex reading of the text and more plain readings are possible. One of those readings is that Jesus the man was crying out to God because God had actually departed from him before his death. This is a view considered heretical by most modern Christians. Basically it says that Jesus wasn't born divine but that God entered into Jesus at his baptism by John the Baptist and he then departed Jesus on the cross, usually reasoned because God cannot possibly die. It also has the advantage of explaining why Jesus needed to be baptized at all, another theologically tricky question. I don't personally hold to that view, but it was common enough in early Christianity that it needed to be condemned as a heresy later.

Now, this brings up a point that will take me into your second question. The four narratives of the crucifixion presented in the canonical Gospels are irreconcilable. Jesus cries out to God in Mark and Matthew but says other things in Luke and John. So we have to ask ourselves, did Jesus really quote Psalm 22 from the cross?

My answer to that is that it's possible but we don't really have a way to know. Matthew is very concerned with portraying Jesus as the fulfillment of Israelite prophecy about the Messiah, so having Jesus quote a Psalm there fits perfectly with what he's doing. That Mark includes it when he doesn't have the same goal is a point in favor of authenticity, but it's an open question in scholarship exactly how scripture Jesus would have been able to recite as it's generally accepted that he was illiterate. Personally, I think it's likely that, on the cross, he did express a feeling of abandonment and desolation, though I question whether it was in those specific words.

And here we come to the Historical Jesus.

The mainstream (little-o orthodox) understanding would say that Jesus understood at all times that he was God and this view seems to have developed early within Christianity, though it was by no means universal in the early Christian community. It is, however, the view expressed by the eventual winners of the theological struggle.

Something that may help here is understanding the order in which the Gospels were written. It is generally accepted that Mark was written first, followed by Matthew and Luke, then John. Whether Luke used Matthew or vice versa is an unsettled area of scholarship but most scholars agree that they were written pretty close to each other and that they used Mark when writing, with John coming later. Personally, I subscribe to Mark being written first, then Matthew who had a copy of Mark, then Luke who had a copy of both Mark and Matthew.

This is relevant because on the chain of Mark -> Matthew -> Luke -> John, we see a historiographical shift in the presentation of Jesus. In Mark, Jesus is portrayed as the most human while in John he is portrayed as the most divine. Scholars will vary on that, but to me it is plain as day, with the caveat that I think Matthew and Luke both are about on the same level.

It's also important to remember that despite the names attached, none of the authors knew Jesus. None of the writers claim to be disciples, and we know with certainty that they were not. Mark claims to have been written by the companion/translator of Luke, but that is not likely for a variety of reasons. So basically it needs to be accepted that although the writers of the Gospels were passing on hearsay about the life of Jesus. Also note, they are called by convention after the name of their Gospel though not accepted by anyone anymore to actually be said historical figures.

So when Mark includes the direct Aramaic that Jesus spoke, he didn't hear it from Jesus' lips. He also likely didn't hear about it from someone who heard it directly either. Same for Matthew, who likely included what Mark wrote because it fit his goals, not because he necessarily knew it to be historically accurate, though he may have thought it was.

By the time we get to John, we have gone from the very human Jesus sweating bullets about the crucifixion in Mark to a very divine Jesus in John who acts much more in line with the modern view of a Jesus who could look upon the world in knowing bemusement as it all plays out.

Personally, I think that Jesus understood himself to be the prophecied Messiah eventually but not right away at birth. My reading, informed by a historical critical framework, is that Jesus was initially a follower of John the Baptist and at some point around his baptism came to understand himself as the one John was talking about, and thus began his own public ministry. I tend to view this as being caused by the killing of John the Baptist, which caused Jesus to rethink a lot of things.

I get this and the next point from Historical Jesus scholar John Dominic Crossan, who asserts that Jesus' big innovation was understanding that humans were waiting on God to fix the world and God was waiting on humans to start the process. So Jesus preached about the coming Kingdom of God, which he viewed as very much an earthly creation. Note, this is in express contrast to little-o orthodox understanding of the Kingdom of God as something spiritual. He asserts that it is likely that Jesus thought he was building an earthly kingdom and that God would eventually place him on the throne of said kingdom.

I am dubious on that specific point about earthly power, in that I view Jesus through an apocalyptic lens (which Crossan does not). My view is that Jesus also thought the world was going to be radically remade by God in the very near future, so unlike Simon bar Kokhba who a hundred years later would claim to be the messiah and rule over an earthly kingdom, I don't think Jesus thought that it would get that far before God came back, resurrected the dead, and instituted his kingdom on Earth.

As for why Jesus would not know all this, well, if he knew everything, he wouldn't be fully human. Humans cannot be omniscient so it makes sense that Jesus would have a period where he would experience that. I don't think that continues today of course, but there's a bunch of places where Jesus either explicitly or implicitly lacks full knowledge, and that's fundamental to the human experience.

I've rambled enough on this, so I think I'll just cut this here.

this is neat

ive been reading several historical chronologies and for the most part (i havent read all of them, and literally every christian in here is smarter than me about this) but its my understanding that the gospels unfolded chronologically, with mark "first" and john "last" and through a weird game of judaic-christian telephone the gospels are changed and evolved to fit the communities that the writers were working to evangelize. i profess a fondness for mark because of its simplicity and its leaning on christ the human rather than christ the divine, but i also think its worth noting your perspective of "which came first is hilariously muddy, welcum 2 theology &c"

i am also curious if folx in here have knowledge or understanding of why jesus needed to be baptized. i always saw the john/jesus rivalry as just that, and that jesus (like rome converting to christianity) saw it as politically... not expedient, because the dude knew what he was doing, but like, john's baptizing gives jesus' messianic claims more legitimacy? i could be like 10000% wrong here

thanks ill take a 10-piece spicy nugget and a vanilla frosty