Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They're for background football games and blasting fox news not pedestrian things like "watching something from a seated position".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love these houses but I always wonder "where are people putting their poo poo??"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

This is a great please look at everything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Youth Decay posted:

I can't figure out where the original bathroom is vs the infinite mirrored bathrooms

Blowing rear end inside the tesseract.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oooh I love TX and TN today.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Your may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
You may find yourself in a beautiful house
With a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, "Wait... Where do I poo poo here?"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deviant posted:

love to bring my meals through two bedrooms

You bring it round the side. This isn't better.

I think the plumbing location in prohibition/depression era America could have influenced the location of the kitchen and bathroom.

E: beaten.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Having multiple sensors on our ecobee is the only reason we got it. Thing lives it's own life away from the internet and off my network.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It reads the sensors and modulates the overall temp based on schedule and occupancy, which is all I want.

They do get you by making the remote sensors dependant on wifi network connection for pairing an additional one.

You can have it forget the network after setup too, and you only lose the app and the usage tracking on ecobees site.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SkyeAuroline posted:

I am once again asking for search engines to give me anything but Ikea results for bookshelves, even when I explicitly filter it out as a keyword
All I want is a bookcase that can handle tall books and also stay stable on carpet, this is apparently a herculean task to do with anything but endless Ikea cardboard

You gotta search "hardwood" bookcases, and even then it's a crapshoot if you get particleboard or actual wood, but it's easier to find better results.

Bookshelves are just shelves. Bookcases have sides and poo poo.

Allegedly. We ended up hiring a guy to build ours.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hiring a guy here in LV cost $800 + 500 in materials, which was plywood, and 1x3's and 1x2's for the face frame; I agreed to do the finish work of sanding, staining, and sealing myself.

Hire a guy but don't do it right now because wood is getting expensiver. The plywood was $43 a 3/4" sheet at a lumber supplier and like $65 at Home Depot; the face frame hardwood was actually the most expensive part at like $4-5 a foot.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 21, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We got the house painted and we used a color!

We like it! We have a lot of artwork stored up we've been dying to hang up and it finally finishes the major cosmetic upgrades we've saved up for, including our (my wife's) library.

Siding ladder coming soon.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 4, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

actionjackson posted:

lol at the old school tv

what paint and sheen is that?

Dunn Edwards - Jazz Age Blues
Performed by Sherman Williams - Low Sheen Mix

falz posted:

That's a pro BVM or PVM CRT, i must presume for retro gaming. $$$

Sony PVM-2030 that my neighbor left on the curb after moving.

SW has a straight up "low sheen" mix. The color is darkening up nicely to a rich blue that we saw in the samples. Here the scheme, but we ended up getting the grey (DE Porpoise) darkened a shade because it was way lighter in SW.

The color is vibrant enough that with warm lighting it just reads almost cobalt and dark enough to read as navy when the lights are off; we offset the darkness with the extremely clean white and a light grey on the walls that didn't have a chair rail (basically hallway and guest rooms).

It's so good with making colors pop IRL.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 4, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have dogs and ADHD so a concrete floor sounds just groovy to hose down.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

actionjackson posted:

I have a greyhound who is quite elderly and a bit prone to falls, she would seriously injure herself on a concrete floor

But in general it just seems like something where if you had a fall it would be really dangerous

Oh gently caress I didn't even think about that, that's definitely something to keep in mind actually. Thanks for the perspective.

Anne Whateley posted:

Unless you're in a severe scarcity/drought situation, I have to say "one big bucket of filthy water with one squirt of soap" is much less optimal.

Dishwasher is the most water efficient way to clean dishes. Period, as long as you put the soap in for the prewash and just compost/throw away the solids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 7, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They also make remote controlled motorized pulldown ("fireplace") mounts now.

The new paint is curing and it's getting so nice and satiny and deep now.

I highly recommend painting your walls neat colors. I'm very glad we did.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They look comfy but any oversized seat and foot rest would probably be comparably so, and less than a sofa so deep I can swim in it.

Still, they are pretty objects, and I think that's about the appeal. Get a knockoff and be done with it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vintersorg posted:

Crude floor plan:

BadSamaritan posted:

eta: not sure how recently you moved, but I’d wait a bit to get a good idea of what you want out of your space and where the problems are before dropping too much $$ on it

This.

That room looks just plain too big for your poo poo, but you didn't need new poo poo yesterday, so don't go rushing out for it.

Definitely figure out what you dislike and actually is uncomfortable to live with and take mental notes on that.

Right now, bring the living room poo poo closer, and put a sofa table (or reasonable facsimile with your current things) behind the couch.

Otherwise, I would say visually separate the room; could be hanging up some ceiling lamps, some assorted furniture made into a intermediate den, or even different more colorful paints; it will allow your floorplan to remain conveniently open, but make the space not seem so vast and wide.

I'm thinking something from the ceiling, if you went the latter route, but then my brain wants to put tables and chairs under lights. Big rear end Fan?

E: yeah I'm just gonna say slide your couch and TV like six ft over and put a little table behind it for keys and drinks, a sofa table would be useful right there by the stairs, if that is an entrance.

Alternative, slide couch over to jaunty angle and put TV on a console more proximal to the right corner, pointed back at most of the room.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 2, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BadSamaritan posted:

A side table and a big palmish houseplant next to the end of the couch might do a little work to make the den area feel a bit blocked off, if you’re looking for a temporary fix

gently caress that's really solid lmao. Even a little console table with any vertical element would do.

Oh there's a recess on the ceiling where your projector is supposed to live, just center your stuff on that.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 2, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

This is my vote.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You don't have to even match brands and stands.

You can get a stand from other brands to work with a little tweaking, like a plywood sheet on top of the riser, and putting sorbothane pads on the feet of both the riser and washer.

Cheap plywood can be harvested from trashed and thrift store furniture.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You're not my friend...

Nah I'm just kiddin' with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_KfBaRWxs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey what if the landlord was a real piece of poo poo?

Anyway good luck getting their "investment" back!

Holy gently caress the renter ran a homegrown kill shelter jfc

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 17, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

actionjackson posted:

couldn't believe an article in my local paper today saying modern farmhouse and barn doors are on their way out

noooooooo

Horizontal doors are an evolutionary dead end, just like the modern "barn door" design ancestor, the pocket door.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh we posting reading lamps?

I like mine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I just made irl Zillow Skit sounds.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Glimm posted:

How do people deal with having their TVs above fireplaces? Are they on arms that allow them to reposition them lower to watch?

I would break my neck during my 4-6 hour TV binging every day.

Pull-down fireplace mounts or creative seating.

I have my regular full motion mount set as low as it goes and the couch area is mostly reclined seating; It should probably come down a little more, but no one but me is even remotely concerned with it.

They also make remote controlled electronic fireplace mounts.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 2, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What in the everliving gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6oi-Sc9G90

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Norse Code posted:

Has anyone ever seen a tub like this, or know which one it is? I've never seen one like this before.

Idk but I like that whole steeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0j0d2ymixY

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

actionjackson posted:

The fixtures in that Illinois home are dope as hell, but wouldn't a stainless steel kitchen cause lots of zaps in the winter?

No just hard water spots and smudges if my kitchen is anything to go by.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brawnfire posted:

Amen. But they do polish up real nice with a little effort! When I bother.

Ceramic auto detailing spray.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
LEED certification just means they used the bulbs with the leaf on them right?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want to give you a budget and see what you find.

Under $500k?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Youth Decay posted:

That's a broad broad search, you have any preferences as far as location/size/style of house?

wait nevermind I know what I'm going to do

Chef's choice man.

I know the staged photos bias towards expensive homes, I would just like to see some stuff that isn't $$$-$$$$.

I think I just feel a little depressed when nothing multimillion dollar homes get posted, because design doesn't HAVE to be expensive, and I want regulars like us to feel like we have a chance at pulling off "a look" too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Buy used furniture and learn how to restore a finish.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAw_BU_Zk4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ZYtj0lfY8

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Home is listed at $149,900. Someone is getting a STEAL if they don't mind living in the middle of nowhere. I'll even forgive the kitchen reno because they replicated the original cabinetry instead of modernizing.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13100-Blues-Farm-Rd-Laurinburg-NC-28352/126782261_zpid/

holy gently caress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah if they're buying billions in property and were mysteriously wealthy in post-soviet Georgia, they weren't humble immigrants.

No one is that lucky, and buying real estate seems like a common way to launder huge sums of money.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Like i can't imagine normal life in a lot of those houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

actionjackson posted:

seriously, whenever I get my white table (timeline: 2028), I think I want to do the blue seat with the white base, it really coordinates well.

That community college commons aesthetic.