Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This guy rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

every time maki shows up the manga gets worse for it and this caterpie-metapod evolution fight is almost offensive

You're stupid Maki rules.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

chapter is out in like an hour and there’s bad translations out that you can find

SPOILER SPOILER I’m not even mad at naoya vs maki for once, it’s the two new characters gege introduces at the end in the middle of a loving fight that isn’t finished

Did you cry this much when this has happened....in every other part of this manga like this is kind of the deal at this point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

if he’s not outta here in the next 2 chapters I’m going back to whining

You've never stopped.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

any time a manga starts bringing us politicians into the story I completely check out and this is no exception

This chapter and plot turn owns I'm sorry you're dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tonfa posted:

Current bit has some funny haha memes but as a story beat it's sucking the air out of the room.

No it's good actually.

And also their post wasn't "Oh I don't think this is turning out well" it was "I see a politician in the manga I close the app." which is...look it's a very kneejerk and short sighted reaction worth poking fun at.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Wait, so did Kenjaku bodyjack Yuji's mom and then have sex and go through pregnancy?

Yes. Go back and read the flashback with yujis dad and grandpa, it's very clear.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Saying Maki sacrificed her femininity by getting a short haircut and mostly remaining the same person but more determined is incredibly telling OP.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm glad Dad's home.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Taima posted:

That's true, you don't change the game with propeller on his head guy without years if not decades of planning.

Just kidding, I don't know what to say man it's just an opinion, I am not Gege. Were parts planned? Clearly! There's plenty of good poo poo in this manga.

If your bar for organization is "had an outline where some major characters do things for the story" then sure, no debate there. Where it gets a lot more fuzzy is the details, namely, starting and stopping many threads over and over.

Seriously read culling games onward and try to keep in your heads the things that Gege brings up and then drops :shrug: It's a good rear end manga which is why I'm even bothering to state my personal opinion but cmon.

Manga artists burn out all the time but Gege has imo left pretty solid clues that he's burned on the series and I just think the writing and short chapters and pacing and "see what sticks" method of throwing spaghetti at the wall post Shibuya is all pretty unfortunate evidence for a broader theme here.

The good news is I think CG and onward will play well when it comes to the anime; they just need to pick and choose what they animate and that should be a tight enough plotline. The individual elements of a good manga are there, they're just clunky and uninspired sometimes. That's ok. Dude is human, it's still in my top 10 so the criticism should be viewed in that light.

I'm also intentionally not critiquing the indiviual plot beats because I accept that other people might like them more. I don't know how you enjoy, like, Tsumiki being a huge plot point in the Culling Games that was telegraphed basically the entire manga, only for her to like... be taken over by some evil naked lady who is then killed in the dumbest way possible by all of Sukuna's cool Shadow Toys. Just one more in a long line of lady characters getting done insanely dirty for what seems like very little reason.

At least that plot thread was resolved even if it was kind of dumb, which you can't say for the other million dropped points along the way post Shibuya. Like I said, it's a good manga, you just need to Not Think About It Please once Shibuya concludes.

It just kind of sucks (imo) that it's come to that because JJK always prided itself on having a pretty coherent and tight structure and it really did, minus a couple of things, until CG. It would be easier to not worry about the week to week plot specifics if that was the goal from the beginning. Plenty of manga have weird pacing and plot issues, hell sometimes that's what makes a manga awesome. It just seemed like Gege specifically was doing everything in his power to avoid that style of writing, until a very specific point in the series where that just... wasn't true anymore.

He does cool things to, for example I kind of like how he just kind of forgot Yuji existed besides the (awesome) Higuruma fight and we're about to end the manga and we still don't even know who Yuji is, what his overall purpose is, and he isn't even powered up yet. Having a protagonist for a story and then basically saying gently caress you to that character takes a lot of balls and while I wish Yuji stayed the main character, I can totally respect the inherent rizz of saying "classic basics for writing a story are not for me". In fact that's something I love about Manga and Anime in general, it's so creative and up to the author's wishes vs. western media which has gotten soooo restrictive in every way possible.

You can use as many shrug emojis you want this is a skill issue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

It's pretty amazing that Gege managed to write himself into such a no-win position with her. He really hosed up

Counter point: when our resident idiot villain starts making his big final plan and connects everybody's soul that means literally everything is a voodoo connection to him so Nobara will save the day by nail stunning him long enough for Yuji to punch him so hard.

And I guess Megumi will use the boss shadow to turn off some poo poo I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The pachinko power is the single best power in the manga. Just a man incredibly in love with a lovely romance manga so much he developed a fighting system based on the slot machine adaptation. That's HxH level dumb guy energy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's Gojover.....

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chapter good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's bad. Hard to have confidence in how things will wrap up, tbh!

It's good. Easy to have confidence.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

UnderFreddy posted:

this thread looking like a CIA document for like a week also sucked last week.

This idea is so dumb and always has been. People posting about the early chapter leaks would just not be posting otherwise, ao you're not missing anything. So is it just aesthetic issues? Just don't read it then.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RC Cola posted:

So, Itadori is going to end up eating Sukuna's finger and other Sukuna will gives us a weak point or something to exploit right?

Yeah and they'll do this by Nobara returning and nailing sukunas spirit inside megumis body through the portion inside Yuji.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Taima posted:

Holy poo poo the new leaks, fuckin hype

"Oh when I get my HANDS ON YOU!"

Very very excited.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What’s up with yujis arms and hands

Gojo was right

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also literally none of the students are dying here. From this point on its gojos dream of all his kids surpassing him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RatHat posted:

Saving this post for later

I believe

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah besides Kashimo everyone introduced that wasnt instantly defeated are pretty well liked in the reader base outside of like...angel and honestly that extended chapter earlier is turning even that around.

Comedy man, Super Lawyer, Hikari. Hell people even liiked sumo man and the katana pervert.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 6, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I feel like "Megumi can be rescued" at this point feels kind of lame. Sukuna incarnated in him and then proceeded to absolutely destroy him spiritually and mentally. Even if he gets rescued he has basically nothing left.

Hes got the same thing the rest of the protags have. Each other.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

even better. he has a good dog

His name is Yuji.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

More or less how I felt about the love angle that's been introduced into the plot. I also liked Kashimo and I fully understood he was going to crash against Sukuna and die when he finally got that fight. But come on Gege, the guy is probably the last person to care what other people think he was literally Sukuna 2.0 of his generation and killed until the moment he realized he was never going to get the fight of his life and about to die. If anyone could 'get' Sukuna it would have been kashimo.

Except no he wouldn't because the whole "SUkuna 2.0" was always Wrong. He was as far from him as everyone else in this fight. That's the whole point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

There's literally only one thing said about Sukuna since the very start of this manga and that is "holy poo poo this guy was the strongest in history." The major antagonists say repeatedly "IF we can reincarnate this guy our plan is 100% guaranteed to succeed." The villains had an argument about killing Yuji because Sukuna was so strong that the possibility of having him join their side was more than enough. Kenajku considered incarnating Sukuna as a back up plan if they couldn't seal Gojo away.

What do you mean "suddenly gassing" him up? From halfway into the first volume the question of "Could even Gojo overcome this monstrous being?" has been a floating issue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Saying it is different than showing it at any time before. Nothing Sukuna did before he fought Gojo (obliterating the finger holder, mulching a bunch of civilians in Shibuya, dunking Jougo, 1v1ing Mahoraga) was something Gojo couldn't do just as easily. They are absolutely, unequivocally gassing him up here at the end.

No there's not you're just actively ignoring every detail to try and make this somehow not exactly what it's always been lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

See, Yuki is even worse than Stars, and by a considerable margin. Which is impressive! Stars was terrible, but JJK managed to one-up by

1) Having the hero who dies be someone who was set up since before the manga started as One To Watch, rather than a random new character to let the main badguy show his strength without losing someone important. It means that the feeling of "waste" is lesser. Stars was maybe a cool design. Yuki was someone people were actually excited for.

2) Shigaraki's victory came from the whole AfO personality conflict, which is a huge part of his big villain arc. It's something set up for a long time in advance, and something still coming into play now. Meanwhile, Kenjaku won because he's immune to black holes. It's the same rear end-pull no-sell that people point out for All for One now, only ramped up even further, since it's countering an attack that can destroy a planet.

3) Stars managed a no-score draw in death. AfO didn't get her quirk, and even managed to do some (narratively insignificant, but hyped up) damage to his quirk supply, in addition to saving her squad (if they choose to die like idiots later, that's not on her) Meanwhile, Yuki lost hard, despite having heavier support. Kenjaku took no lasting damage, he accomplished everything he set out to do, and she didn't manage to do jack to him.

That's a big sweep. And it kind of connects to another way MHA's managing its last arc better. You look at it, and pretty much every character people care about is getting A Big Moment. Sure, verdicts differ on how many are any good, but Horikoshi's trying to let almost every living character of note get something, from La Brava's hacking to Lemillion showing Shigaraki his butt as a distraction, to Uraraka finally managing to get through to Toga and understand her life, letting Toga return the favor and actually do something good for once, even if she dies in the process. It's an attempt to reward reader investment, succeed or fail. Meanwhile, JJK feels more like it just discards characters lately, giving Gojo and Kashimo speeches that are more about the latest plot point than about them. (And the Kashimo fight meant skipping right over the mourning you'd expect for a bunch of characters losing their mentor).

MHA feels like the story is trying to get everything in, even if it's clunky sometimes. (Although Jujutsu Kaisen isn't in any position to criticize leaving a character near-death in an unknown state for a long time) Meanwhile, Jujutsu Kaisen feels more like it's tossing everything except the absolute necessities out, only to then meander over and just have the US soldiers and Helicopter Guy for a bit to avoid even having things feel tight.

No.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Literally every modern special grade, human or cursed spirit, got better showings in the story and more tlc than Yuki did. It just sucks that her death ultimately accomplished nothing and the story has forgotten her wholesale.

Togo and Hanami.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Togo? If you meant Jogo he got a congratulatory handjob from Sukuna and was the 2nd most prominent of the cursed spirits and also arguably the strongest despite the potential that Mahito had. Hanami might have never won a single of his fights but all of them were good and he still got something resembling character development as he learned to love combat.

If you meant Toge, he's not special grade

Togo was stated to be strong but spent every fight getting literally clowned on and he got 'praise' from the guy who might as well be called The Sadistic Sarcasm Elemental.

Hanami was in 1 good fight where he was being used as a training dummy for Yuji being trained by his big bro and then was hydraulic pressed basically to taunt Togo.

Both were stated to be so strong and special and only got owned. Often comedically.

They may have technically been in more panels but they weren't getting better treatment.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 13, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The better treatment is that their fights were still good and also their role in the story is antagonist not mysterious good-guy mentor figure. Hanami got to have fun against two guys who had insane chemistry. Jogo basically only loses when Gojo or Sukuna show up and even without that he has a lot of personality and managed to kill Naobito who might not matter but is is the catalyst for the destruction of the Zen'nin family. Jogo also put Nanami's foot in the grave properly before Mahito finished him off and that let Nanami go out like the freaking terminator with half his body burned to the bone itself. Both all also belonged to a tight-knit group and helped form the backbone for half of the series as the main antagonists. Yuki got a last minute reveal that she was a previous star vessel that went nowhere since even Tengen has been made irrelevant as of the current chapter.

The point isn't that they win, the point is the story didn't spend scattered chapters implying they had more worth than being throwaway characters before they died. Hanami's death at least contributed towards sealing Gojo, something that did have actual consequences. What pray tell did Yuki's death accomplish? So far absolutely nothing and maybe we get something when Kenjaku finally shows back up but that's to be determined. At this point Choso's two brothers that died had more of an impact on the actual plot than Yuki because at least they served to help bridge Yuji and Choso's relationship and also gave Nobaru a tip on how to use her ability that aided them in Shibuya.

2 things: Mysterious goodguy mentor figures in a battle shonen do in fact usually get got and they didn't fulfill their roles as big antagonistic threats they were jokes from moment one that the story quickly moved on from to the actual antagonist who turns out is the person that killed her. She's done way more by being big character moments for geto and Mr. Boogie Woogie than hanami did the entire manga. She did not in fact get done worse than literally every other major character. Shut up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Getting really mad about the author not fully utilizing this Dadoria character that showed up on namek.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Funny enough Fushiguro did need rescuing from that guy.

I mean if you're gonna remember things that's cheating

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

My anime-only buddies can't remember what they don't know.

Yeah that's why it's cheating compared to them. That was the joke.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

lol this dude is straight up worse than afo

You're so dumb lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jogo would get bodied by most of the cast because he had accepted defeat into his heart.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Finally, a weapon to surpass Orochimama

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's peak

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's peak. That's all you can say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

No denying that 10S is busted, but I honestly feel like any jujutsu sorcerer could elevate their technique with the right combination of willpower, skill, spite, and raw determination. Even if you weren't born with heaps of natural talent you can train for that.

It's just that most people aren't crazy enough to devote their lives to it.

I mean the series has repeatedly said this. If you're dedicated or just crazy enough you can pull bullshit out of anything. Gojo himself stated repeatedly he believed the entire class of students he taught could rival him one day at least.