Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There was a thing in the old thread about a device that coloured filament on the way through, I wanna say using marker pen ink. Does anyone remember that? I'm tempted to experiment a bit with some light grey filament that prints lovely but is just dull to look at. I'm assuming the effect would be relatively subtle because of course it's only colouring the outside and so it'd get mixed in and diluted a bit on the way through, but I think it'd be fun to try especially as I'm back on my Arduino bullshit right now.

https://youtu.be/yQwkHDDed0o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I modeled a name tag stake for my plants. Should help keep the garden a bit more organized this summer.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Dear 3d printing thread, I never thought it would happen to me.

The teeth in the coupler on the extruder apparently decided to all shatter.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

gbut posted:

Time for that direct-drive upgrade, I guess.

You make a solid argument. :hmmyes:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Just completed this fun project today:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Sockser posted:

Though this could also be remedied by software that
A. isn't loving meshmixer

I hate meshmixer. For simple stuff like plane cuts or subtractions I've had great luck with windows 3d builder. Might be worth a try if you haven't checked it out.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

In the related things:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3729357

I sent her that link asking if it was a good enough model and she said "the one with veins is perfect!"

So now I need to check what colors I have in my shop and decide what to print some dicks in.

Kinda wish I still had a spool of that creepy pink flesh color filament...

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-flying-dino-dick-200639

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Toebone posted:

I over-tightened the nozzle on my Ender 3 and stripped the threads in the heater block. Do the more expensive copper-plated blocks give any advantage with the standard hot end, or should I just grab another $3 aluminum block from microcenter?

In my experience you shouldn't try to get the nozzle tight to the block, only tight to the bowden tube inside. Thread it in by hand all the way, then back it out a turn or two. Adjust the bowden tube in your hot end so it is touching the nozzle, get it up to operating temp, then turn the nozzle a quarter or half turn in.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Upgrading my ender 3 with yellow springs and a firmware with manual mesh bed leveling enabled bought me years of not having to touch that part of the process at all. It was well worth the afternoon of getting it set up. The only adjustment I've had to do since then is changing the z offset if I swap out a nozzle.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Toebone posted:

When I got my Ender 3 I printed off a bunch of "must-have!" thingiverse upgrades; they've all gone in the trash. An improved fan duct and a little tool bin are the only ones I'm still using but neither is a must have when you're starting out.

Yeah, people fresh to the hobby should stick with stock until they have enough experience to know what their printer isn't doing well for them before going to look for "upgrades". It's enough of a learning curve to get printing, no need to add more variables for issues. There's plenty of files people in the Facebook groups tout as must have, like the filament guide that puts a 90 degree angle in the filament path, which are just poor solutions when the option to remount the spool location entirely exists. If you just go looking for what's popular you can potentially limit yourself by other people's lack of critical thinking.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Hadlock posted:

What is the ownership/use ratio of FDM to Resin printers in this thread

My guess is 8:1

Every time I read about skin allergies uv, gloves and toxic fumes I'm just like :psyduck:

If I had a separate space to dedicate to a resin printer I'd have one in a heartbeat. All the fumes and cleaning without that make it a hard pass.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Any of you nerds attending the Midwest reprap festival this weekend?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I've been playing around with homemade bi-color filament. It's pretty neat if you don't need to print anything too big. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3565827

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

Found it. I don't want to talk about. Poltergeists might be real.

Oh now you have to tell us where it was.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

My two Pretty Big Printers sit on one of these (on a medium pile carpet) and it's absolutely rock solid. There are a lot more bolts holding it together than you might think and it's surprisingly rigid for as cheap as it is. I didn't know the price was still that low on them, I may go grab another one this weekend.

I have this and love it:
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/workbenches/46-in-mobile-workbench-with-solid-wood-top-black-64012.html

It's more money but you can find it on sale occasionally.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What do you do when you change ISPs and get a new modem? You use the magic of rapid prototyping to create a bespoke mounting bracket of course.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

gbut posted:

The bracket is upside-down. Try again.

How about now? :v:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

He's not wrong. People get unbelievably hung up on cranking out these perfect little cubes and towers and whatnot, but very rarely do those reflect how the printer is actually going to make things that aren't shaped specifically like little cubes and towers.

Just print things. If you see that you're getting blobbing or stringing or under-extrusion or any other common issue, then just print more things and address those issues one at a time.

Far too many people get caught up chasing the tuning/printer modification dragon without being able to state what they wish their printer would do better.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure a chill pill needs to look like a Xanax.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Tremors posted:

I'm pretty sure a chill pill needs to look like a Xanax.

Another excuse to fumble through fusion 360.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

*hooooonk*

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Amazon's new show The Peripheral reveals how to unclog a printer nozzle the right way.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Are there any recommended brands/models for magnetic steel beds that fit the ender 3? Any pros/cons for PEI surface versus powder coat? Hoping to get away from relying on glue with the original creality flexible bed.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I had another go with homemade multicolor filament, this time I used green/silver/blue!

I was curious how it would behave on a vase mode print to get the most size out of the limited amount I can make at once.

I can't honestly tell if the silver came through at all, not sure if it was due to the color itself or if it was because it was the one in the middle. Still pretty though.

https://i.imgur.com/AAa5qFH.mp4

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Deviant posted:

I have a highly specific question.

I was gifted a usb wall light that I quite enjoy. I'd like to plug it into my rasperry pi that's running octoprint, and have it power on/off as prints start/end. I can see no way to do this, as the pi seems to only be able to shut off all 4 usb ports simultaneously, which would obviously be bad.

Can this be accomplished in some other way?

Do you have any smart plugs you could plug a wall wart into for your light? There's a few octoprint plugins that let you control those.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

If your freshly washed dishes are dripping rancid water you may want to review your cleaning method.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What is the slicing/printing workflow like for the P1P/X1C? Does it rely on any cloud services? I believe I read it doesn't work with octoprint but that's probably a very small price to pay.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I braved the downpour today to buy the last X1C combo kit in Chicago and this thing is loving awesome compared to the ender 3 I've known for years! Are there any good beginner resources to learn this thing? I printed the onboard benchy with the default settings and it looks like the flow calibration takes up a good amount of space on the plate. Is that something I always want on or will it save the results of that test? Also what does the "sweep xy mech mode" do other than make it hum some scales? :v:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Does anybody have a specific product recommendation for a smooth pei bed for the x1c? The cool plate is working fine but I'd love to ditch the glue.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Was happy to discover this so thought I'd share in case somebody didn't know. You can print your own qr codes and stick them on third party build plates so the bambu printers don't throw a warning every time you print. https://www.printables.com/model/432805-build-plate-qr-code-for-bambu-lab-x1c

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Sure, but this lets you keep using bed detection. One less thing to have a brain fart about now that I'm printing more than just pla.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Snackmar posted:

So I tried using the Bambu Lab Poop Chute Bucket V2 today.. As you say, lots of colour changes means a lot of filament being pooped out.

What happened was that instead of all the filament falling on the floor, the bucket got full and backed up into the printer. I am definitely open to some alternative ideas because none of these bucket designs seem to be tested on real-world use

https://www.printables.com/model/436366-bambu-lab-x1c-wastebin

This one has worked well for me.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

mattfl posted:

iiidmax is running their usualy holiday sale. 10% off their bundle packs. A 30 pack of PLA comes out to $9.89/roll.

Code is LABORDAY

Do these spools work well in the AMS?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I've never bothered worrying about filament dryness. That changed when I went to show off my x1c to some friends and had the PLA snap in multiple places between the ams and hotend. :v: I now have a filament dryer, rechargable dessicant, air tight containers and multiple hygrometers to keep an eye on the conditions in said containers and the ams.

Tremors fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 13, 2023

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

It isn't a purge tower. It's a prime tower that gets the nozzle ready for the moment it starts printing the next layer.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Snackmar posted:

Anyone using one of the Y-splitter designs on their Bambu printer? Thoughts?

I got a roll of TPU the other day, and since it has to be used on the regular spool holder instead of in an AMS I was thinking I'd maybe I'd add a splitter.

I use and like this one: https://www.printables.com/model/430347-y-splitter-bambu-lab

That combined with using 3mm ID tubing throughout the system has run well and eliminated the occasional retraction errors I was getting.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

They don't make it super apparent but you should avoid putting abrasive filament in the ams. Carbon fiber, glow in the dark, etc will cause excessive wear on the internals.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Would a half bath with exhaust fan running and door closed be sufficient in dealing with resin print fumes or does that stuff leech into the walls?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I don't think the brims will be an effective flared base. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Bondematt posted:

Hell yeah, I get my several "holographic" beds probably today according to piggyship.

Time to print some new ASA cases and see how well they work.

I got one of those recently and was very impressed with the effect. Going to get one of the rainbow style ones next.