Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Several MSQ trials also checkpoint. The level 79 trial and the 5.3 trial definitely do, and I believe the capstone 5.0 trial does as well since the healthbar resets, but not totally sure about that one.

Come to think of it I guess you could view the two-phase fights in the Praetorium and the 3.0 capstone dungeon as having checkpoints, though it feels a bit different.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

bi crimes posted:

Pulled the 84 trial in trial roulette today. Last time I played it, I wiped for 90 minutes in a group, then in my next group, I put a marker on my character and told everyone to follow my lead. That was for EW and I haven’t done the fight in the month or two since. This time, no wipes and one shot easily with no marker lead on my head. Did people learn the trial, or is this due to me having recently transferred to a new data center? I left Crystal for Primal

The trial basically just requires 1 healer to live through the intermission mechanic to avoid a wipe (or a couple rezzers but the timing will be tighter). Groups with more than 2 or 3 new people total are very rare at this point so it's just a matter of not getting unlucky with that.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Hommando posted:

You shouldn't regen the tank until they've stopped pulling, it can make aggroing all of the mobs annoying because they run after the healer.

If the healer is doing their job and stacking on the tank, then taking a first round of autos instead of the tank is just free mitigation.

That said there is basically no reason to use regen in high level dungeons, use that GCD while running to stick a dot on something instead.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

On the subject of Triple Triad, is there any way to get cards out of your inventory besides going through the tutorial and, I guess, getting the card bank or whatever? I don't really want to do TT stuff, especially since I have enough distractions in this game as stands, but I got a few cards from Heaven-on-High and it'd be nice to get those inv slots back.

Lots of people already replied but no one has pointed out the specific vendor who buys your cards. It's the Triple Triad Trader just to the right of the Mini Cactpot Vendor you talk to every day. Note that, sensibly, the trader will only buy copies of cards you've already added to your deck.

Selling cards is probably my third biggest MGP source. The crystal tower cards have very high drop rates and are all worth 1500 MGP, so there's a bit of compensation for rolling them in roulette.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

it can be completely destroyed, as Emet-Selch's was

This is totally wrong.

(spoilers through EW) We see Emet-Selch's soul return to the lifestream after the 5.0 end trial, and if somehow you failed to pick up on this in the moment or from 5.3, the Tales from the Shadows story + the EW plot make this explicit. Elidibus's soul was trapped as a result of 5.3, but not destroyed, and it seems pretty clear that it also returned to the lifestream after we returned from Elpis. We've only seen two, possibly three, souls get destroyed: the Sahagin priest in 2.x, Igeyorhm in 3.0, and possibly Lahabrea (possibly in 3.0 when Thordan absorbs it into the eye, or maybe in 4.0 when Estinien destroyed the eye, but honestly maybe when the eye was destroyed it was released into the lifestream).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

dying multiple times and having no idea what killed me
Going from this to understanding what killed you and being able to internalize how to avoid it is called 'prog', and it's possibly the best part of the game.

On the other hand I hate the entire concept of Dark Souls so what will and won't trigger your Successful Accomplishment endorphins is subjective ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 16, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This would be cool as gently caress for a deep dungeon, let people switch jobs between floors.
You can already do this in map dungeons!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's in the name too DoTon.

Whenever I put it down on a trash pack the mob immediately drags them Dotout.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Trash Ops posted:

what do people spend so many poetics on
Leveling desynth.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yesterday I subbed into someone's static that uses with a solo scholar healer for P1S and P2S reclears and while it was totally fine for P1S, P2S required them spend so much time planning out cooldown rotations that it was a clear case of false economy. also they weren't just looking for a tank but only for a warrior, which is the sort of thing square should be extremely concerned about.

It seems totally reasonable for a static looking for a single sub for one night to want the same job as you're filling in for. Saves having to replan cooldown usage.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Kerrzhe posted:

i never liked TBN tbh

Imagine not thinking of this every time you use The Blackest Night.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

CJ posted:

It's been a while but i'm pretty sure one of the last quests i did had the moogles do a funny dance and tell me the dark arts were actually the power of friendship or something. I don't think i'm missing out.

The moogles weren't wrong.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fiye posted:

Now I want to see what happens when you touch SMN at 80+ when you don't have bahamut. Are you just never allowed to summon phoenix or do you always summon phoenix?

The wording of the Enhanced Summon Bahamut trait is "Upgrades Summon Bahamut to Summon Phoenix when Demi-Bahamut returns from summoning." Since that can't happen without using Summon Bahamut once, I assume you just keep using Dreadwyrm Trance.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Bring back monk positionals, you cowards.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The lyrics of Flow are pretty clearly being sung to someone who is now dead. You aren't the "brave little spark", but it might be Emet, Hermes, Minfilia, or (comedy option, but also how it's framed in the music video) Zenos.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 20, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Sinking deeper and deeper in calm embrace
Loving tide sweep in and bear you down
Should you meet a soul rising surface-ways
With your unbeating heart, wish them well

ETA: I guess the true Warrior of Light, Hildibrand, has an unbeating heart.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Bruceski posted:

If you're skipping these you missed a baby troll and who knows what else.

No, sadly the baby troll isn't at the end of the quest chain, but instead is an incredibly rare untradeable/unsellable dungeon drop that *also* happens to be required to spawn the Labyrinthos S rank. Whoever designed the EW S ranks hates the hunt community almost as much as the hunt community hates itself.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 6, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
As usual, the optimal position to be in for learning savage fights is "worst person in the static but not quite so bad that they kick you", because when you die it's a chance to learn from your mistakes but when other people die it's a tedious waste of time.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

You don't need to have the weapon equipped for the whole dungeon, you just need it for killing the final boss.
And when you inevitably forget to swap back before the last boss you will have wasted way more time then you gain from using a different weapon.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I'm using excess poetics to buy the materials for an anima relic weapon. I'm trying to buy Pneumite, but none of the vendors I'm talking to that are supposed to have it (like Auriana in Mor Dhona) have it. Do I need to do something to unlock it?

Yes, get your first anima weapon up to the stage you'll need it. This is true for a bunch of the required mats.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

DanielCross posted:

How possible is it to blind prog Omega Savage on the Party Finder nowadays? Specifically, O8S. I'm playing through this game with my SO, and FFVI is their favorite game ever, so I wanna do the Kefka Fight with them with the full transition into Final Boss Kefka...but I don't want to spoil that transition for them by us having to watch/read a bunch of guides before we go into it.

If you're doing it unsynced because you just want them to see the transition, music, etc., it should be very easy, just make sure to put "we're blind" in the PF description. If you're doing it synced it's gonna be a hassle.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

is this loss

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
goons comprehending that other people might be more sensitive to spoilers than they are challenge [impossible]

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

You were the person in Sanguinia’s Stormblood LP thread arguing that telling them the expansion was called “Crimson Liberators” in Japanese was a spoiler

Yep, and Sanguinia thanked the person who wrote the post for editing it to hide the color information for the expansions they hadn't gotten to!

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 16, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

The real thing to do is to start ranked climbing as soon as the season is out so that you're not stuck with the dregs of society who couldn't fight their way out of Bronze 3.

This. It's not a proper MMR because you can't go down in tier, so if you didn't start playing right away you're going to be placed in matches with a combination of other people who just started playing and awful players.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

Unless you're Oceanic, in which case a feature advertised initially for you to return to your old friends after swapping to the OCE servers is now doing literally nothing for you.

Is this the same mindset as the people who argue that if they can't personally get a house all neighborhoods should be deleted? Discuss.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 21, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The most defensible reason to make an alt is to attend a friend's wedding on another world, since offworlders still can't attend for some reason.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Ifrit Normal takes 3-4 seconds per run at most, plus loading times. Doing it 100 times will finish the step. I put on some good music and just blasted through it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Go give Summoner more than 3 buttons.
Please god this. I played SMN because I liked to press buttons. Take away the useless carby if you want and give me my dots back.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Vitamean posted:

It's always a little bit annoying when I read this, because in my experience Frontlines is the most influenceable out of the three PvP modes. I've seen plenty of matches pushed from 3rd place due to a good shot caller wrangling the team into key positions and keeping them aware of the battlefield with macros. Obviously it's not guaranteed - nothing about PvP is - but even in a match with no one taking charge you can help guide people by calling out situations like an incoming pincer from the other two teams.

It's fine if you don't want to - I don't, typically - but to not and then say there's no way to influence a match sucks rear end.

you made the classic thread mistake of taking a Cleretic post seriously

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

The one with 6 capture points that takes forever should have Bahamut erupt from the earth at some random time to reenact End of an Era and start permakilling people for the rest of the match until only one team has any survivors left.

10% chance for Yojimbo to show up instead and start doing the Slice is Right GATE on top of the battlefield.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

Hella congrats.

What is the best strategy for starting on this? I figure since my Shadowbringers project was collecting all the triple triad cards, my Endwalker project will be catching the fish.

Is there a good way to plan the attack on that? I'm sitting at 504/1140 fish for the resplendent rod and 29/204 (0/45 for ShB) toward Big Fish.

Get to know https://ff14fish.carbuncleplushy.com/ really really well. I also used https://www.lalachievements.com/ to go through my fishing log and check off what I already had but honestly CP (and its included links to Teamcraft) is all you really need.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Oneiros posted:

the people who get murder boners for the elementals are hilarious because they're basically real life ghibli movie villains and they seem completely unaware of it

Please, I prefer to be called a Dr. Seuss villain.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cephas posted:

hot take: Hien, despite his dubious wartime policies, is an absolute hunk and has the sexiest voice out of all the expansion boyfriends

the most unexpected thing about ff14 is that it has such a high ratio of bfs to gfs. who even are the cool girls to swoon over in ff14? yshtola and.... fordola? i guess there's hilda.
Moenbryda. Lucia, though only as a thruple with Aymeric because I'm not breaking them up. Ysayle. M'naago. Depending on your character and taste for selfcest, Fray (the "I can fix them" character who we canonically succeed in fixing).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

I can't wait to experience tragedy as a boss mechanic

We already did this in 4.3.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

RME posted:

You fool, if you keep angry man facing the same way the healers still end up walking into it
I MTed the 4.3 trial the other day in a roulette and the sprout SCH managed to get murdered by the conal tankbuster every single time. It was genuinely impressive, they weren't stacked on top of me usually but somehow right before the cast bar came out they'd be hanging out in its zone.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Note Block posted:

Are there jumping puzzles in the Island Sanctuary? This is very important to me and I must know.

No sightseeing logs, just really egregious invisible wall placement.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Bloody Emissary posted:

I did that this week (moved ahead of time just far enough to dodge the punches, that is) and felt like a god. Either the order in which the arms move forward after the back slams is always the same, or my wrong impression on that front was coincidentally right for that particular run! :sun:

In general the first few mechs of normal aren't randomized even when they could be. For example p8 always starts snake then bird even though the opposite would teach the mechanic just as well. Same with Shadowkeeper's front/back cleave in Eden.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Dareon posted:

but I'd much rather play well enough people don't drop below 50% very often.
As a tank, it's always fun in dungeons to play the game of "is this healer letting me drop low so they can get maximum usage out of Bene/ED/whatever, or are they actually overwhelmed?" I respect the hell out of the former type of healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

blatman posted:

thank u for not wiping groups in stone vigil, dzemael darkhold frog canyon, bardam's mettle, holminster switch first hallway and sometimes zot right before the last boss

probably others too but those ones i listed are the ones that make me groan audibly when i get them

edit: also vanspati is a disaster more often than not, basically leveling roulette can be pretty aggravating

I'm grinding out the mentor roulette mount, so I've tanked all these dungeons a billion times. Notes:

Stone Vigil is easier since the revamp last patch. You're still not supposed to go past the first room on the first pull, but now you can get up to the boss in two easy double pulls without worrying about wandering mobs.

(In theory you could do everything between the second and third boss in one single pull but I've never been crazy enough to do that, or seen anyone else try. Maybe with double dancer + AST but those ice sprites are spicy and arm's length doesn't work on them.)

DD frog canyon is tricky but I wouldn't do it with a sprout healer.

Bardam's got hit hard by the EW stat scaling. I haven't had any trouble with it since then.

Holminster Switch first hallway is fine because the tank should be using their invuln on the first pull to get it off cooldown. The second pull I might break up into two small pulls if the first big pull dies slowly.

The two pulls between the second and last boss of Zot are a little spicy by comparison to the rest of the dungeon, but again one of those pulls the tank should be using an invuln on.

Vanspati loving sucks because there are a billion mandatory single pulls. I've never seen a wipe on anything other than the last boss (if the healer dies and there are no rezzers).

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 24, 2022