Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if the court imposes a fine and he reuses to pay it?
(Not just doesn't pay it, troots out that he'll never pay it)

Mar-a-lago goes Hasta Luego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

elhondo posted:

What book deal are people talking about? The article mentions books that are already published and not authored by Gen Kelly.

I took it to mean in the more general sense. "People aren't willing to do anything at the time when there's an opportunity to get paid later for airing out dirty laundry."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Nitrousoxide posted:

Which statement of Trump's is he referring to?

Follow up tweets have what he said.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

How'd they get that picture? I thought Trump wasn't there on Jan 6.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Police responded to a bomb threat at Engoron's house today, hours before closing arguments were scheduled to start.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/bomb-threat-targeted-home-judge-trumps-civil-fraud-trial-rcna133416

The article makes it sound like it could be related to Engoron not allowing Trump to testify.

quote:

Trump had asked to deliver part of the closing arguments himself, but Engoron rejected the request Wednesday in a contentious email exchange with Trump’s lawyers after the former president refused to commit to only speaking about the facts of the case and not engage in any attacks.

“You are not allowing President Trump, who has been wrongfully demeaned and belittled by an out of control, politically motivated Attorney General, to speak about things that must be spoken about,” Trump attorney Kise wrote in an email to Engoron.

Engoron replied, “Take it or leave it. Now or never,” and gave Kise seven minutes to agree to his terms. Kise did not respond, prompting Engoron to say Trump won’t testify.

This whole thing is almost certainly a result of treating Trump with kid gloves when it came to him spouting all his bullshit on truth social, making vague statements against Engoron's secretary and bitching about how unfairly he's been treated.

Hopefully the judges on his other trials see this and grounds him like the petulant child he is.

Also, satire is dead.

quote:

Outside the courthouse, protesters chanted behind a banner that said, “No Dictators in the USA,” briefly blocking traffic before law enforcement officers moved them out of the way.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Maybe she's angling to give Trump grounds to appeal by way of ineffective counsel? :shrug:

Also, those were the closing arguments? I thought you weren't supposed to object during closing. Or maybe it's just bad form?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Like a parking meter, except for legal work.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Boots would've appealed to his base more.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Paracaidas posted:

Subjunctive posted:

Otherwise every exec wshould get paid $1 in salary and the rest as a “gift” to avoid paying income tax on it.

Isn't that basically what already happens, with CEOs getting a majority of their salary as stock options? That's why we get dickhead billionaire CEOs saying stuff like, "I only get paid 30k a year."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

haveblue posted:

What happens if you fail to post the bond, the state takes all your stuff, and then you win the appeal?

Doesn't any money or capital towards a bond get held in escrow during an appeal? So I don't think it actually "goes" anywhere until the appeal is over.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

The just sounds so tired of this hearing.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

I've had this in my back pocket for a little while now. I think now's finally a good time to post it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

gregday posted:

When you apply for a loan is there a field for "Why are you requesting this loan?" and can you write "CRIMES"

Specifically loan fraud.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Wonder how much is he gonna try and sell Eric for.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
He also might end up working at his favorite restaurant!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

"What I'm doing is buying the Republican candidate."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Charlz Guybon posted:

Does that mean he can pay 175 to secure a 464 bond, while on appeal. (Which we know he'll lose)

Or, the fine has been cut completely to 175?

My read is just that the bond amount has been cut for the appeal. He's still on the hook for the full judgement.

Edit: vv that's my read, yes.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
"Mr Trump, you are hereby ordered to post bond by the time I count to three or we start seizing assets. One, Two... ...two and a half... ...two...and three quarters..."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
If the punishment for a crime does not meet or exceed the benefit of doing said crime, then it's just "cost of doing business."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Deteriorata posted:

Show how he can do that.

The bond isn't a requirement for appeal. The bond just stops the court from seizing and selling his assets immediately to collect the cost of the judgement.

If he doesn't post bond and wins his appeal, then he gets the money back from the sale of his assets.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

JunkDeluxe posted:

Questions from someone who knows nothing about trials and such.

- Will they go through the whole case again in the appeal, or will they only consider new findings/arguments?

- Will he be able to appeal the appeal?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the appeal isn't a redo of the case, but a review of whether the court followed proper procedure. If they rule that proper procedure wasn't followed, they can rule to have a new trial, or some other outcome (including altering the judgement, maybe?)

The appeal can be appealed, but again, it's limited to reviewing the actions of the previous appeal, so the original trial isn't even considered.

Trump can technically appeal as far as there are higher courts to appeal to, but eventually he'll run out, or one of the higher courts will refuse to hear it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

mawarannahr posted:

America is an amazing place and I'm glad to be here for these moments
God Bless The USA Bible

Misread the URL for your quote source as Godless: The USA Bible

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

SpelledBackwards posted:

But unfortunately no bailiffs or other officers are tasing Trump in the courtroom to maintain order (...yet?)

He might burst into flames from all that spray tan.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jesus, I feel like anyone could be a successful prosecutor against Trump.

Prosecutor: "You are alleged to have done this very serious crime that could result in sever punishment. Also, you did it in a very stupid way."

Trump, during a press conference just after court: "What I did wasn't stupid. It was the best version of that crime. It was perfect. Criminals would wish they could do that crime like I did."

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Pikavangelist posted:

I once attended a talk by Neil deGrasse Tyson (back before he lost his loving mind) where he mentioned being dismissed from jury duty because he asked why the prosecution was using a particular unit of measurement for a drug charge. I think it was something like referring to 10,000 milligrams instead of 10 grams.

Apparently he's been rejected multiple times for jury duty. Here's a clip about witness testimony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRLj7bBCgI4

E: Found a clip of what you're referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-lqO1dnX4&t=212s

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 17, 2024

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Charlz Guybon posted:

Elon Musk exists, so we all know how wrong this is. The urge to post is the strongest one of all.

He has no self respect. I mean, he even renamed Twitter in honor of Grimes.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Tesseraction posted:

He told them to be more responsible and then specifically forbade them from reporting on the person's occupation both current and former.

So obviously the NYT decided to Air Bud there way into a juror getting executed.

Why aren't jurors anonymous to begin with in any legal proceeding? At best, there is no benefit to the jurors being identifiable, and at worse, they end up getting harassed and threatened as we're seeing now with what Trump and the media are doing.

E: I'm referring to public anonymity. The court would need to preserve their names for record keeping, obviously.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Accipiter posted:

I really want to know where that $9000 actually came from, and why they needed two separate checks.

The attorneys probably just covered the cost of the fine with the expectation that they'll just add it to his bill (like they'll ever get paid). Two checks is probably because it came out of two different accounts from the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

There won't be much to talk about.