Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
So, we're in our final thread before the series ends, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

lih posted:

it's a continuation of the gag where he was mad about his previous poster having general franky on it, idk if it'll do anything except set up a future gag where some marines are confused in person about it or something though?

It's Franky. Consider - what are the odds that he built in the potential for the General Franky and the Sunny to be able to combine?

This is foreshadowing the fact that Franky's final powerup in the last arc will be Tengen Toppa General Franky using the Sunny's hidden transformation powers to make a larger mech. There is no way the guy who secretly wants to write a mech anime isn't going to do this.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I basically assume that the power discrepancy with Crocodile is due to us, as in the reader, not being able to see haki at the time, combined with the fact that the Nika Nika fruit has probably always given Luffy a mild degree of ability to bend reality. Crocodile's haki was much weaker as a result of his spirit and ambition being broken, Luffy was using mild armament and conquerors coating without realising it due to being in a berserk rage, and the remainder of the gap is filled by the Nika fruit having slight passive activation due to Luffy fighting to free a bunch of trapped people from oppression.

Yes, I am aware Oda probably didn't have the full nature of Haki thought through at this point, but luckily his themes are so consistent that it more or less matches the nature of how these things work anyway.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Cat Machine posted:

Luffy beat Crocodile because he punched him really hard

That's what I said.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Guy A. Person posted:

Ehhhh, even as of Marineford a lot of the visual cues we've come to expect from Haki use weren't established, particularly anything for armament haki. No black coated fists/weapons and even in the moment Luffy uses conqueror's haki to knock out the executioners we don't see the black lightning that power has become associated with. You basically just had random people saying "woah did that attack have haki?" every so often, but you can bet like 90% of the attacks thrown in that arc were heavy hitters throwing out a ton of armament haki and there's no visual cues present at all.

EDIT: Whitebeard has a lot of visual flair to his attacks which are somewhat similar to some of the haki effects we've come to see but as far as I can tell those were all specifically meant to represent his quake powers. For example he punches the air to create shockwaves and those look like lightning crackles. However, when he attacks Aokiji and some mook is like "woah Aokiji just got hit with pure haki!" we don't see any kind of visual cue for that

We also didn't see it on the arrows etc from the Kuja. You can put it down to Oda not working out the visual symbolism until later, and that's probably true, but in practice we as the readers "couldn't see Haki" until the timeskip happened.

Do I think Oda was consciously having Crocodile use or not-use Haki? No. However, it makes no sense whatsoever for Crocodile, or the Vice Admirals seen at Marineford, to not have been using it given what we later learned about Haki, and "We just couldn't see the Haki in use" sort of neatly fills every potential plothole created, so I'm inclined to just take it.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I wonder how many of the old Baroque Works members will end up in the Cross Guild.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

BoosterDuck posted:

why are you still following 4kids translation
they're called the marines

Some of us keep to the old ways.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Punk 01 is wearing a Daft Punk helmet, isn't he. Very appropriate for a character presumably first sketched in 2006.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Theory - that Seraphim is malfunctioning because Vegapunk put Kuma's consciousness in it. Seraphim Kuma will join the crew as the final member, finally fulfilling the "Paw Paw Fruit User Joins" numerology thing.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

anime was right posted:

for suspension of disbelief purposes i think its easy to think sugars power needs a lot more haki to break out of (kaido/current luffy tier) while a disease takes a lot less, and the DF users haki probably matters in some fashion.

Also seems like a power that humiliates you and makes people forget you exist would be a haki debuff.

I bet this is the wash-wash fruits real edge, it's so degrading that breaking out is inherently hard.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
The point of Haki nullifying DFs is that it allows Oda to decide if a specific fight should be more DBZ or more JoJo.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I can see Lucci fighting Gear 4, but I can't see him fighting Gear 5 for long. It would be bizarre if he could. I don't believe Kaku can take Zoro either. Ergo, the only place real threat can come from in this arc is Stussy. Feel like she's about to reveal a horrible devil fruit.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah even if the show is good, One Piece is just too long to adapt fully with actors who are bound by the passage of time.

You just have Luffy age realistically. That one's easy to fix as he has already had a development arc that eclipses most people between 20 and 30. Post timeskip Luffy is not a 19 year old, he is mentally like 28 and if he was physically 28 it'd feel fine.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

mabels big day posted:

Why did we gaslight ourselves into believing the human human fruits awakening is a giant monster

The human human fruits awakening is a giant. This definitely has no implications with regards to the theme of human gigantification throughout the series.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Since CP0 now intend to "Block all escape routes from the island", seems pretty likely they'll be paying a visit to the Sunny soon. Good job they left Zoro there to guard it. Wonder if the CP0 guys have any swordsmen present who might be capable of seriously fighting Zoro? For example, a clone of Mihawk.

It's a waste if that kid doesn't try to slice the ship in half and get blocked.

Edit: Now I think about it, it's even more obvious. That's literally a cross between Mihawk (the guy he needs to beat next) and King (the guy he just beat), and it's going to have some of King's gimmicks which only Zoro knows how to counter. This is a perfect chance for Zoro to get practice before the real thing.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 22, 2022

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my theory is that oda couldn't figure out how to have sanji to react in a way that isn't gross so he sidestepped the issue.

Do you really think Oda disapproves of Sanjis behaviour?

I swear you guys are projecting a version of the man that shares your very much western values. He's not American or European, the same political consensus isn't present.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Zoro is first mate because he's the best fit for the job. He proved this very quietly during the Usopp situation on Water 7.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Drakkel posted:

Was thinking about that one silhouette we saw of Vegapunk back at Punk Hazard and how unlike many silhouettes in the series it's completely accurate:

He definitely had Vegapunk's entire design for like 10, 15 years imo.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It's Scopper Gaban, IMO.

The way Vegapunk talks about that character implies that he genuinely thinks the entire combined forces of CP0 will not be able to win.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Super Rad posted:

Actually it's not impossible that the mystery person is Sabo, we know that Vegapunk has some sort of teleporter tech, he could have rescued Sabo and vowed to keep him hidden and is now reluctantly calling him for aide even though it would mean revealing that he's still alive to CP0
This is exactly what would happen if this were one of the movies.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Jose posted:

Who the gently caress is scoppet gaban

The guy with two axes who wears sunglasses.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Crosspeice posted:

He's the third strongest of the Roger pirates, so the Jinbe of our crew.

His coconut gun can fire in spurts.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It seems ludicrous not to have a spoiler/non-spoiler split of threads at this point, honestly. We have this same discussion on a monthly basis.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Brandfarlig posted:

Why split a thread with 10 posters?

Because it used to have 50 posters and now those of us who read spoilers frequently just go elsewhere.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Is posting spoilers in this thread actually against the forum rules? Pretty sure we had several years where posting spoilers here was routine, way longer than it's been "unacceptable".

Tolth fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 15, 2023

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Runa posted:

a thread can have its own rules if someone's willing to enforce them

Who is that person in this case?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Eiba posted:

It's been against the thread rules since a mod came in a while back and asked us about it. Don't remember who it was, and I dunno if that's still the current mod of ADTRW as I don't keep up with things beyond this thread. It's always seemed like a polite "please don't" that the thread largely agreed on.

We're currently doing things a way I'm happy with, but if the prevailing mood in the thread was to be more or less lax with these things, I'd be fine dealing with it.

Edit: What I'm not fine with is the lack of a lovely speedscan! I want my crappy translation while I'm still bored at work! It was here this time last week!

Almost certain it was a previous mod. There was a period way back before even then - 5 years? - where we posted spoilers routinely and everyone agreed it was cool to post spoilers, the wind then changed.

I suggest we simply have a spoiler thread and only open it for like 3 days each week before locking it again.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I don't know if youtubers or whatever have come out with this one, but I'm like 99% certain I know where Raftel is now. See spoiler if you want.

The Road Poneglyphs actually just indicate Reverse Mountain - the incredibly obvious giant X marked the spot the entire time. At the very end of the Grand Line, there's a grove of Yarukiman Mangroves (as in Sabaody) which provide the bubbles used for ship coating. If you coat the ship at this grove, you can go under Reverse Mountain, where there's another undersea chamber similar to Fishman Island. Raftel is in there.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Waffleman_ posted:

This MF still saying Raftel

It's comfy.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wonder how they're going to show rubber powers in live Live Action.

Man I bet you don't even know who Bad One Gracie is

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bird cage is kinda uninteresting and awkward a plot conceit but don't get why it became the thing to point to for "why Dressrosa is bad".

It was horrible to read weekly. It works pretty well in the arc overall, but when those were being released week by week it was intolerable and the weekly readers are still mad about it.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ronnz posted:

Also, check out Sanji's eyebrow.
That big kick is Okama Kenpo - it's the same move Ivankov used against Kuma once.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It's the Blackbeard Pirates. Devon is like the only person who could imitate an Elder or Vegapunk to give those orders. The shooter was Van Augur, which is why his footsteps at the end of the chapter have a weird sound effect - he wears tap shoes.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Caidin posted:

Lafitte is the one that wears tap shoes. Plus... Eh, it'd be kinda weird for at least the latter, who happens to have been last seen at the fight with the Heart Pirates in a different stretch of ocean to suddenly factor into a long term complicated infiltration and sabotage of Vegapunks digs.

Yeah I meant Lafitte, sorry.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
York's luring that Elder to the island that has human cloning technology on it. One possible plan is to force an Elder to step onto the island, clone him, and then brain link with it or something so she can manipulate the WG to become a Tenryuubito.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Plutonis posted:

1079 spoilers:

It's loving Joever for Kidd.

Everything about it is beautiful.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

jassa posted:

Have the thread's spoiler rules changed? Last I heard, we don't discuss new chapter leaks here until scans are out.

There are a ton of people who like spoilerposting, we just mostly gave up on this thread and went to post elsewhere.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Scholtz posted:

It's pretty great ngl

Whiny people posting elsewhere, I mean. I haven't read the spoilers yet because they were clearly marked.

Yeah I mean you're entitled to not want to see things, but I dislike the weird idea that "there have never been spoilers in the One Piece thread and no one wants them" - we literally had spoilers in here for over ten years, it's pretty clear that a wing of people who want to post spoilers exists.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Upsidads posted:

Ya got got pages after pages of nothing but spoilers covered in black bars. It doesn't hurt me to have to go somewhere that isn't 90%spoiler talk, but I'm a goon and I don't go anywhere but here for One Piece talk
It is my problem alone then
Maybe a shonen jump release only thread?
I just will not go to Reddit.

It would be nice if we could have a spoilers thread and lock it for the week when the good translation drops.

No Wave posted:

Lol what exactly was the point of this character? Superfluousnovas.
That was possibly the most satisfying thing I've ever seen in my entire life. That was the point of that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

side_burned posted:

If One Piece has a weakness its that Oda's choices on what to draw out and what to compress are arbitrary. I think Kid deserved a fight that went on for one or two chapters rather than getting chumped in one hit.

He's consciously refusing to give Kid a "satisfying" ending - as an author - because he was a violent fool. It's a classic Taoist/Shinto morality thing - "The Violent Man Will Not Die A Natural Death" type stuff. Kid was, in the end, an animal that massacred civilians, so he doesn't go down in some grand noble duel - even though it was offered to him - instead he gets put down like a dog. Kid would have had his multiple-chapter fight in a scenario where he didn't go school shooter.