Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

If we are getting Marineford 2.0, then it stands to reason that we'll get Squard 2.0 as well. It'll never be a straw hat pirate though. I could see maybe... ok honestly I can't even imagine any of the captains from the grand fleet doing it, either. drat it, Oda. Maybe Sai if Baby 5 is threatened. So not willingly. But Luffy would do the same thing as Whitebeard, tank the hit and hug the person who did it. And laugh, maybe make confetti come out instead of blood because you know he'll be in Gear 5th.

Eh. Maybe I'll eat my words in like ten years when there is another Marinford or something, but I just can't see a Squard 2.0 happening with Luffy.

It was a great character moment for Whitebeard because we didn't really know a lot about the guy at the time. We knew what happened if you messed with his family, but we didn't know what happened if his family messed with him. It was the first (and only?) time those bonds are really tested. And we learned in like three pages that he is kind, forgiving, and also trusting in those bonds that he immeadiately sees the bigger picture of how it was set up. It was also mostly for our benefit as readers since as far as I remember none of the other pirates or people who knew Whitebeard in general bought that poo poo at all.

We don't need to know any of that about Luffy. Since we've had over 1000 chapters to know what Luffy and the Strawhats mean to each other. And as you said I can't see anyone in the armada trying that either. Like, the way they got Squard was by convincing him that Whitebeard was playing favorites.

Everyone in the armada already knows that Luffy's favorites are his crew. He rejected the parent cup because he didn't want to be beholden to them or take responsability in any way, and they drank anyway because they felt like serving under him anyway.

If there's gotta be a stabbing (or an attempted stabbing even) I'd expect it to be from whoever's left in the story at that point that's still dumb enough to shoot their shot (So, Buggy or maybe Crocodile, but probably just Buggy). And that would absolutely get played for laughs.

And if we're gonna rule out the stabbing but still have a Squard 2.0, I expect it'll be Luffy being tested in some other way. Like maybe it'll happen before then but I'm really curious how or if Oda'll have Luffy coming to grips with becoming a symbol of liberation. He already didn't want to be a hero back on Fishman Island, and that was just because he didn't want to share food. I can't imagine he'll be too happy when people are ready and willing to die for him. And not necessarily for him but for Nika, the god he didn't choose to be.

So if there's a betrayal at that point, I don't think it'll be a betrayal of Luffy the man but maybe a betrayal of Luffy's dream. We don't know all of it, but we do know he wants a world where his friends can eat as much as they like. And if someone sacrifices themselves for him, they might save him but they'll hurt his happy ending.

(And yeah, this has happened before with Bon Clay, Pedro, and Ace. But those were before Gear 5 and in situations when he was still out of his depth. Maybe I'm overall just wondering if there'll be something that can break Gear 5's sunny disposition?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Gologle posted:

As another point to Jinbe, in the scene where Luffy and the gang are decided whether they're going to have to jump Greenbull, it's Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Jinbe.

Yeah, Jimbei's always gonna be up there. Same as Yamato, once he joins. But there's always been a monster trio and there probably always will be. Like, Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji will always take the 3 strongest guys. Half the reason why Yamato didn't join in Wano, I think, is beacause he's already way better at conqueror's Haki than Zoro and Sanji. It's why those two got stuck with King and Queen, while Yamato was tangling to stall Kaidou.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Fun time for it to hit it off too, might actually finish before it gets passee and people get annoyed at said popularity.

I don't know a lot about American fans, but do you really think it's popular enough to become passé? Like, maybe the Live Action series has been a real hit over there, but down the border I've talked to a couple of people who've been interested but that's about it

they want shady
May 11, 2013
It really didn't help that back in the day (I'm talking about 2005 or thereabouts, we got a Spanish dub in México that was based on the 4kids script but was otherwise unchanged From the original (think we dubbed we aré, even)

they want shady
May 11, 2013

mikeycp posted:

The 4kids dub is bad BUT the rap is immaculate

Zero flaws

Absolutely, despite being Mexican I actually became a fan beacause of the 4kids dub lol. So when I read the manga I was blown away. Also the reason I could pinpoint where the script came from when the dub started down here.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I knew it was the case for the US and Canada, but I didn't know Mexico was in the same boat. It really can't be understated how much damage the 4kids dub did to One Piece in North America.

North America is an anime-first continent, with dubs being a much bigger deal than most hardcore anime fans realize and/or want to admit, and I really believe the pre-Netflix rise in popularity is due to the series being discovered by a generation of kids that didn't grow up with the 4kids dub.

And yeah, I knew that was the case in México but I didn't know it was the same in Canada. 4kids really did gently caress over an entire continent lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013

tbp posted:

important question: which zoro getting lost gag is the best?

for my money i think its the one in enies lobby. it's just so abrupt and chopper and nami seeing him run off perpendicular to them hits so well

I like the one ni Skypiea where he's walking with the southbird looking north the best, I think. Second best and way subtler is Wano where he gets lost riding a dog and ends up on the other side of the country.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

lmao incredible

they want shady
May 11, 2013

they want shady
May 11, 2013
What a good chapter

Luffy's reaction and Vegapunk's very specific phrasing of "If I move now I'll die" make me think that Stella might just make it out alive, meaning Saturn came to the island to gently caress poo poo up and all he got was hosed over lol

Bonney asking Luffy to show her how it's done was really cute and Booming Dawn Gatling was great.

Honestly very excited to see what Blackbeard's got up his sleeve and wondering how copying Saturn will come into play since if he comes out of this alive there might be less mileage to get out of copying his appearance (does Catarina's power just copy appearances or also powers? dunno if that's ever been stated). Might be enough that they can use it to get Seraphims and Pacifistas off their backs whenever they want.

Excited to see what Blackbeard's whole deal is in general, think we know more about Imu than him at this point lol

That said the best part was still:

Rohan Kishibe posted:

People being hard on Zoro, but he's fighting Awakened Lucci and he's still in no bandana mode. If this was Bleach, that alone would say it's gg.

Sanji's cooking, Zoro's doddering

they want shady
May 11, 2013

lol at the av but, I can understand the hype and I really don't want to sound like the fun police or anything, maybe next time wait until the official chapter's release to buy that poo poo? Probably not a big deal since most of the thread reads the scans and knows what's up, just out of consideration for the 2 or 3 poor bastards that wait until Sunday and might come into the thread to discuss, say, the recent wishcasting from the Netflix cast or some other random poo poo. Not asking to blank it or change it or anything, just saying as consideration for the future since getting to that panel unspoiled was pretty fun, speaking for myself.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not sure why it's striking me as remarkable, but Lucci is as strong as an admiral now, right? Considering he's fighting Zoro to a stand still (maybe even leading a little) and Zoro's stronger than Sanji, and Sanji just made Kizaru piss himself a little?

Then again deflecting a single kick isn't the same thing as a victory. But I'm surprised Lucci is still running around doing skullduggery nonsense after all this years if he's grown proportionately stronger since the timekskip. Maybe he just really likes the job?

Back in Enies Lobby he made clear that he liked the violence part of the job and not so much the pretend to be friends with people for five years stuff, so he probably loving loves his new job.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Begemot posted:

What? I think you've been misinformed, the anime is good until Thriller Bark, and then the quality drops precipitously. I've heard people say Wano is good, but every clip I've seen has the same old problems: glacial pacing killing jokes and tension, awful coloring, animation that looks bad even when they put more frames in, etc.

Anecdotally, one of my friends finally got into One Piece in the last few months and they noticed the pacing getting way worse after the bridge jump in Enies Lobby. That said, what finally broke them and got them to abandon the comfort of having the episodes up on Netflix and finally switching to One Pace was some point in Thriller Bark.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Spoilers for next week:

they want shady
May 11, 2013

lol we love that poo poo

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

The Nakatani/Casselman translations aren't unreadable or anything, but they do have some issues. There's a few embarrassing errors ("the fruit of the Gum-Gum tree," confusion about whether Helmeppo has one dog or multiple). There's some lines that comes across as an attempt to capture the vibes of the 4Kids dub (Zoro: "If he gets me with one of those cat-whammies...I'll be a pirate-flavored pancake!!"). There's some awkward bits of "pirate-speak" (mostly from the Buggy Pirates).

I read through the official translation when I did a re-read last year and while that's all true, I remember the awkward stuff dying off by the time they hit the grand line. After that it's mostly fine. Honestly the part that took me out the most when reading was Skypeia and that's mostly because there's plenty of lines in that story that don't flow the same when you can't say G*d (don't think that's the fault of the translators since that decision probably came from above but it's gotten funnier seeing where the story's gone since then).

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Woozie66 posted:

Do we even know if VP knows the full truth of the world? Like, does he know what Rayleigh knows? Or does he "just" know almost everything?

Probably doesn't know anything Roger's crew learned in Laugh Tale, don't think it's been stated that he's met with any of them.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

4Kids knew what they were doing with Sanji’s accent

yeah, it owned

they want shady
May 11, 2013
no chapter, ff rebirth pre-order missed the date, what the gently caress is up with today

All Blue is my balls rn

they want shady
May 11, 2013

this is very good tho

they want shady
May 11, 2013

JahRoo posted:

2 week probe minimum lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013

The darkness of night falls around my soul
And the hunter within loses control

they want shady
May 11, 2013
or maybe he's just a fun charismatic dude and they thought he could pull it off? Might,ve thought like, hell yeah let's send Rockstar! Whitebeard's gonna love this guy!

they want shady
May 11, 2013

DeadBonesBrook posted:

At last, the wait is over!

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7677/one-piece-chapter-1109?date=1-3-2024-12

Honestly? Kind of a letdown of a chapter, especially before break week. Was a bunch of technical issues really necessary?

Between the cymbals, Kizaru's laser eyes, and Saturn's everything this was a pretty good action chapter

Shame about no answers and also having a slight nervous twitch remembering the last time something took ten minutes, but still good stuff.

Break week's gonna be hell tho

they want shady
May 11, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I think its funny and in character for vegapunk to do this. Oda loves putting his arcs on a timer.

The Gum Gum Cymbol was hilarious. Every new Gear 5 gag makes me laugh.

If we're getting *all* of the gorosei here at the same time, that *really* accelerates the end of the story with regards to the plotline with the world government, assuming they are all defeated. At the very least it makes it less likely that we will dive as deeply into each gorosei member as we did for saturn, which makes me believe that they will be able to escape unharmed.

Also the most exciting part of this chapter for me is the cover story. What an opening image for that. I thought Momo landed Onigashima next to the Flower Capital but maybe they just pushed it into the lake/ocean because it was an eyesore? Anyway its possible we will discover the true fate of Big Mom and Kaido now, and I could see this cover story following Jack since he's a fishman and can breathe underwater (though idk how he can move, unless we get back into the fresh vs saltwater debate)

Yeah, don't think they'll be defeated since Luffy's stressing that he's not doing any damage. The ancient robot still hasn't done anything so it might give them a hearty gently caress you on the way out at least.

Agree about being excited for the cover story. Don't think it'll be about Jack tho, wasn't he the only big player in the raid that wasn't blasted off? Probably chained and locked up in Wano or something

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real the buildup to the chapter release is better than the chapter itself.

Sorry, not sorry, not going to care about the Egg Head Island incident because I spent the day waiting for an alcoholic, psychologically abusive translator in constant state of distress, anxiety, and worry about the future.

Refreshing the thread and seeing one new reply was my own "Egg Head Island incident" for almost 20 hours.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

frajaq posted:

next chapter is gonna be hype

lol, that's a great loving Imu

they want shady
May 11, 2013

hatty posted:

Wish he were horny more often lately. Too much Kung Fu chopper imo

Still miss his pre-timeskip forms. Like some of the post-timeskip ones but they're more hit or miss (I do like both horn points tho, so point still stands)

Ryaomon posted:

The first time Brook ever encountered a woman who didn't wear panties he immediately pivoted and asked to borrow some money instead. It's all about the game.

Still horny though

Spoilers for the person going through fishman island, just in case:

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Voxx posted:

i think thriller bark and punk hazard get such bad raps because they are more comedy focused arcs. after water7/enies set the stage for mostly serious one piece, with people drawn to the extreme peaks of drama oda can dish out

Dunno, I've never heard about Thriller Bark having a bad rap especially since it gets so strong towards the end with the Oz fight, "nothing happened," and Bink's Sake.

Punk Hazard is a bigger slog because it kills its momentum really hard at one point, but there's plenty of good gags throught and all the stuff with the kids is Oda exploring ideas about fatherhood that've come more to the forefront as it's crept up to him how long he's been doing this comic. It's definitely grown on me on re-reads but it's one of the weaker arcs still.

Meowywitch posted:

I LOVE this shirt

It's the best shirt

they want shady fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 8, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

But Zoro vs Kaku is the funniest 2 chapters of the series. If you havent read it at least a dozen times read it again.

Also Chopper messing with Franky while getting him a cola, Zoro and Usopp getting cuffed, fuckin Michael and Hoikel from the old town... Water 7 and Enies Lobby are filled with really good gags throughout.

Ryaomon posted:

I think this is why Davy Back Fight & Foxy are kind of not very popular either, but I like it because it's a necessary exhale, because between "attack and dethrone god" and "government black ops conspiracy" sometimes you just need to chill out and go "wow that dog is really long".

I loving love the Davy Back Fight too, might be One Piece at its funniest for me personally. Tonjit might be the funniest character Oda's done relative to how little he appears lol

I guess I'm just saying that Oda's godly at making stupid gags and I think there's at least one in every major arc that gets me again on a re-read.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Well Manicured Man posted:

Kuro was far from the most memorable or interesting villain, but I'll always remember the way he pushes up his glasses, as well as how those glasses act as visual storytelling to represent how little he fits the role he's been playing as a mild-mannered butler. As shallow as the character was, Oda still showed a lot of his strength as a character designer and storyteller with him. He's also kind of the prototype for bigger and badder villains like Crocodile and Doflamingo, the manipulators who slither their way into having power over people and take their freedom from them for their own selfish reasons while propping themselves up as responsible rulers (or in Kuro's case, caretakers). He might just be the first appearance of a thematic through-line that could run all the way to Imu and the Gorosei.

Neat, huh?

also he had poop in his suit so I can never forget him

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Mihawk, walking down the stairs to his final showdown with Zoro, flashbacks to when they traded stories while drinking and realizes how he can still get out of this one

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Absolutely sick chapter

Can't stop thinking about bone horse, who can freeze things like brook and is also made of bones

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I thought that Lucci accusing Zoro of being a burden was a pretty weird thing to say to the only person on the crew who is on par with Luffy, it seems like more of an Usopp thing. With this last chapter, Zoro's reaction to Sanji calling him a burden makes me think that Lucci got inside Zoro's head and we're going to get more into that. Also there's a Strong Sword Guy on the island, perfect to kick Zoro's rear end to make him feel worse and establish Ethenbaron V. Nusjuro (:wtf: is this name) is Good With Swords. Oda is specifically showing Nusjuro using his sword instead of just being a monster, aside from Saturn's head he's the only Elder with any human features.

edit to add: I hope I'm wrong, at least about Zoro actually feeling like a burden, Zoro's my favorite and I don't want him to feel bad :ohdear:

Don't think it's that complicated. Lucci calling him a burden, whatever. Sanji calling him a burden, actually pissed.

Zoro does have a sense of duty about being strong enough to protect the crew, 's why he was hard on himself back in Punk Hazard and called out to Luffy for also getting got with dumb bullshit when they're supposed to be better after having trained for two years. And he's still hard on himself here, especially since it's Sanji calling him out.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Also, we know what Oda's been watching so no need to speculate on that

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

D. Reaming, don't give it up, Luffy!

Rubber, man

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

I'm already kinda sad I didn't get to experience the Weekly Wano Mines

Speaking of, how many manga arcs are as long as Wano, if any?

If you're only talking One Piece, nothing. If you're asking about manga arcs in general off the top of my head there's stuff like Naruto's ninja war or Bleach's arrancar saga. Just from weekly magazines you could make a case for things from Ippo or Kingdom, depending on how you're counting arcs.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Augus posted:

Im really not a fan of the Arlong fight in One Piece live action, where Luffy destroys the map room as a strategy for beating Arlong instead of in the manga where he destroys the room out of sheer disgust for what it represents

Just about every change they did on live action Arlong Park felt like a miss to me. Kinda disappointing to end on it since they did a good job of doing their own spin on other things like Syrup Village and the Buggy episode.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

Kanjuro, if that counts

You mean Ashura Doji, right? Cause I might be remembering wrong but I don't think there was anything lionized about Kanjuro's death (could be different in the anime, didn't watch that version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013
amazing chapter

Meowywitch posted:

But who is The King of Red Lions in this scenario?

I heard Franky turned himself into a ship.