Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

first page post. achievement unlocked :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simone Poodoin posted:

It’s me the annoying “hbrawl is so much fun you guys” poster.

it's only annoying if you complain about losing as baral

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Black doesn't seem like it has a strong identity this set

phyrexians take away your identity and they're primary in black so this tracks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fucker posted:

:gonk:

the classic ajani avi...

lol awesome

would have been even better if they had the balls to just straight up delete the Jaya avatar

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mr. Meagles posted:

Should you be able to use Cut Down on a creature that's been dealt combat damage, thus reducing it's P/T to less than 5?

Like if I block a 3/3 with a 1/1, making it a 3/2 until eot, should Cut Down work? Currently does not but I dunno if it's supposed to. I assumed it did and failed

damage that's marked on a creature does not change its toughness. A 3/3 creature with 1 damage marked on it has total power and toughness equal to 6, not 5.

some effects give creatures "-X/-0", "-0/-X" or "-X/-X." these effects do change a creature's power and/or toughness. if an effect gives a 3/3 creature -1/-1 until end of turn, its total power and toughness is 4 until end of turn.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my first premier draft. it can only go down from here

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the smoke on the street is that Wingmantle Chaplain is the mythic uncommon of the set lol

I will happily snap up all the actual good cards in draft while defender tribal is overhyped for these next few days, hahaha

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

four chaplains? wtf????

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq4T44EvPvo

ugh I wish I was smart enough to do something like this in a reasonable amount of time

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

(I have gone 4-3, and 2-1 bo3, so my results are pretty poo poo too right now.)

if you have a positive wr you're allowed to complain. I'm kicking you out of the loser's corner, go sit at the big kid's table

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm glad a card with the title The Apocalypse is living up to its name

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

little munchkin posted:

fyi all of these have looked something like this:

what the hell is this crap. and how come when I do it I get smushed???

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'd love to get feedback on my deck construction for this premier draft (comments on the draft portion itself are welcome as well). my four drop slot was very stuffed and I almost didn't play the defender package, but at the last moment I decided to put my balls to The Wall and it paid off really well. I wonder if there's any way I could have shaved down my two drop slot so I could fit in the second micromancer and a third one-drop instant. but serra paragon is a monster if allowed to live so I really needed those 2 and 3 drop creatures

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uw still seems underdrafted to me but the tide is slowly turning

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Huxley posted:

Anyone looking for something new to do in Explorer, Gobs is being pretty kind to me over the past couple of days.

https://mtgazone.com/deck/explorer-boros-goblins-by-cunicoligoblin-56-mythic-september-2022-ranked-season/

The format's removal right now is VERY 1-for-1 heavy, so you're pretty resilient to Rakdos.

Huxley posted:

Probably 60% of the decks you play are trying to Fatal Push, untap, Graveyard Trespasser (or Fable or Greasefang etc). Snoop, Krenko and Warchief all get eaten up in this game, but Fodder and Outburst make their spot removal just worse enough that you can play a fair game.

I was having similar thoughts about the meta bubbling in the back of my head earlier this week. I was unrelatedly looking to resurrect an old archetype--here's my take on GW hardened scales in explorer:

I tinkered around with this in the bo3 play queue for a bit. the shaper's sanctuaries were in the board until I realized, wow, shaper's sanctuary is pretty cracked in this meta. I put them in the main, but then my brain looked at hardened scales and shaper's and immediately thought "enchantment synergy!" so I came up with this:

it's silly but it get wins in the play queue and it's fun. walker isn't synergistic with the enchantment side of the plan but it's stupid value. one thing I haven't seen a single bit of is uw control in the bo3 play queue so I have yet to test this against that. I'm a coward so I'm not doing ranked with this

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Am I a scrub or is Salvaged Manaworker an awesome include in this format? There aren't that many great two drops, its colorless, the 3 toughness is relevant and the mana fixing is great. I've found having one in my decks is super nice, almost always.

ur a scrub. lmao

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I know I don't ever offer help (thats because I'm terrible at Limited BUT I TRY!)

I have this sealed pool that I think might be the hottest piece of poo poo ever, I'm having trouble even trying to figure out what direction to go. Could anyone please offer me advice?

I'm confident your base bg in this pile, the question is whether to add blue or white. I think blue edges out just so with phasing of zhalfir and three mystics

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

can you even quit and rejoin for a new pile or are you just screwed

the second one

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: see previous page for more suggestions. I disagree with a BG plan, see above.

I disagree with your face

you're probably right

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

I like BGx https://sealeddeck.tech/BO15JdgvBp for the self mill package it has going. I'm putting a lot of creatures in so the Writhing Necromasses get cheap fast and we get 9 green creatures that can trigger Defiler.

yeah I agree

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

paging the deck doctors. after loving around in the freebie mwm phantom sealed I entered an event for the real deal (bo3) and I think my pool is less than stellar

configuration 1 is esper, config 2 is rg splashing b

I think the first has better card quality but the second is more consistent (except for the black splash which feels necessary for lack of creatures (e: maybe I should change this to a white splash)). I might side into one or the other depending on the matchup but I'm curious what the thread thinks

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 7, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/aefhyNhgBU BGx looks pretty good to me. Could see cutting Meteorite for Tribute, Strike or Might.

:pwn:

I can see bgx but I think fires of victory and sprouting goblin as two drop splashes + relic and meteor to support them and the dimir cards is getting way too lost in the sauce. I would sub those four out for splatter gob, tribute, defiler of flesh, and hexbane tortoise. lower average card quality but more consistency. I'd probably cut the two dimir cards too and just go jund with a couple of white cards and cards with blue kicker costs

Can you explain your thinking here?

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 8, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

What the bear doin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I'm hooting and hollering

Patch Notes - 2022.19.10 (Sept 8 2022)

quote:

Gameplay Bug Fixes
  • We sat down with the bears from Kaldheim and convinced them to stop wandering and sit back in their cozy pet zones (They had fun on their outing, but sometimes got in the way)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/aefhyNhgBU BGx looks pretty good to me. Could see cutting Meteorite for Tribute, Strike or Might.

wei posted:

Gaea's Might and Tribute to Urborg can come in over Rona/Meteorite. Vohar I'm keeping because it's great with Urborg Reposession. Your graveyard package is the best part of this pool so I'd try my best to run all of it.

thanks wei :love:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hard mode: sealed with only a single dual land

despite the lack of land-based fixing, three deathbloom gardeners and two micromancers means I'm very incentivized towards UGx. white is also a draw with all the token makers and payoffs (protector, charge, argivian). my instinct is to do rw, but leaning into the multicolor pile life seems like the place to be.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

Glad the last one worked out!

Yeah opening only 1 dual is sad. I don't know if I want to be multicolour because all the fixing costs 3 mana and there aren't many good cards to splash. Your instinct is correct I think, WR is the most coherent deck I could come up with and it's close to a good WR draft deck. I tried building UR but it was missing a few playables and the cheap interaction that deck needs to get Amplifiers through.

https://sealeddeck.tech/u9NQ3K1Fpp

well we'll never know, I submitted my deck and went 2-2. Connecting with Shanna once basically ended the game but most of the rest of the time I was kind of derping around

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Boxman posted:

I've got enough WCs for an explorer deck. Something top tier? Spirits? Something dumb? Gates? Something else? What's fun in there?

answer 1: wait at least a week before doing anything because the format is still in flux after the release of dmu

answer 2: if you are entering a format for the first time and you only have the resources for one real deck, you may want to consider crafting a single budget deck that you can incrementally improve instead. if you go all in on one deck and end up hating it or getting bored, you're SOL. as a suggestion, rakdos sac is very budget-friendly as most of the key cards are uncommons. rakdos midrange is also a consideration if you've been playing standard for at least a year--you may have some of the rares that deck uses like graveyard trespasser and fable of the mirror-breaker. but that deck is easy to budgetize since it's just removal.dec with a planeswalker top-end.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hbrawl is diseased with five color commanders

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

wow what are the odds of that???

thinkin about the other [ 60 choose 16 ] alternate universe versions of that post and loling

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

The most insane thing about this format is how all the dual colored legends have active synergy between the other dual colored legends that share their colors. Super impressive.

yeah they really followed a k.i.s.s. approach to the color pie in this set and it's really refreshing. Honestly my first couple of limited games reminded me a lot of the original dominaria limited environment

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the thing about midrange is that it's usually a reliable thing to be doing (if not the best thing) in any post-rotation standard environment because aggro and control haven't gotten the tools they need to balance out the midrange strats. see last rotation an example: shambling ghast, deadly dispute, lolth formed the core of a lot of early decks when afr released and they became even more prevalent after rotation with innistrad 3

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

Probably going to be too late for most of these because I was busy playing paper magic (I top 8ed my DMU RCQ!!), but here goes

swag, congrats

I'm not really a sealed person normally, but I've been having a lot of fun with trad sealed this time around. It feels like a well-balanced set, you can make a deck out of anything. I've never put together a DMU sealed deck and felt like it was anemic or uncohesive. There's a lot of synergy and common and everything just fits together really well

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

babypolis posted:

man DMU drafts are great but the sealeds have been miserable. somehow every pool is dogshit

kalel posted:

I'm not really a sealed person normally, but I've been having a lot of fun with trad sealed this time around. It feels like a well-balanced set, you can make a deck out of anything. I've never put together a DMU sealed deck and felt like it was anemic or uncohesive. There's a lot of synergy and common and everything just fits together really well

the DMUality of man

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yeah a lot of Magic's problems go away once you accept the truth of capitalism into your heart

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

What’s a good rule of thumb for how many tap lands are too many? If I’m just hoovering up all the domain lands in draft - when do I want to cut myself off before I am having waaaay too many and I’ll be too far behind in tempo?

you're never going to have that problem in DMU. the real issue is that your deck quality is too low because you valued duals too high

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

PlayingExplorer just released a new tier list for explorer,

their greasefang list going to 2 sky sovs in the 75 is not surprising, it's an utter smashing against creature decks when you can't just win with P2. I'm really glad to see glowspore shaman go. corpse churn is great tech against instant speed gy removal (plus you can hold up grisly salvage at the same time).

no kalitas in RB midrange seems pretty loving Wrong, though sheoldred letting you cast infernal grasp more freely is neat. hitesugu consumes all is a fun card and I'm glad to see it show up in the board. I'm curious what the right number of pw's is in the main of rb midrange. I feel like I want the full 4 Chandra in the 75

also, we need to inspect the brains of rock players. for science

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

My opening opponent in the sealed event has TWO Cruelty of Gix’s…uh??? mods???

one of my opponents at prerelease had two as well. although he was a noob so the first time he played it he tried to "store" the second trigger for later use lol. He was a really nice guy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Assuming there was nothing else relevant to the board state in that scenario, you should have been able to sacrifice a creature token. Were you playing on a mobile phone? Maybe the interface was preventing you from selecting the token

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

was it highlighted in orange as if it was selectable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Node posted:

Not exactly Arena related, but I've got a collection of a few hundred Magic cards that I played in the 90s. I sort of want to sell what I can and get rid of the rest, but it is really overwhelming to try to find some way to catalog them. Is there any sane method to it, or do I just need to dive in there, card by card?

Most of them aren't worth anything except my six dual lands, which I can't tell is if they're Revised or Unlimited.

look up a card scanning app on your phone, like the TCGplayer app or Delver Lens. they tell you what card you have and how much it's worth, which makes it very easy to compare and separate cards out

you can also head over to the the sa mart MTG buy/sell thread for advice and questions on how to sell them. people might even send you offers in the thread if you show pictures of your collection, it's very likely you have some random rear end commons from the early 90s that are worth a pretty penny