Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Gonna see the Leafs in DC on the 24th, I'll let you guys know if they feel any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
its cool that the first Friday night of the NHL season only has two games and they're basically at the same time so you can't even watch hockey for ~5 hours

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Saturday has 14 games too, which is too many. The perfect night of NHL hockey has roughly 6 games, at staggered start times, so you can flip back and forth between two games between roughly 7pm (EST) and 1 in the morning.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Owen Power's choice made me laugh. Obvious route to go but still good

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yea I'm not really seeing the sacrifice. He was a third overall pick and while he definitely never lived up to it, the talent is there. He's basically on a league minimum salary and he's playing with a guy he's had proven, insane, chemistry with (even if it was a decade ago) and your superstar franchise player is happy about it. Landeskog is on LTIR and who else is going to be the LW for Rantanen and MacKinnon? Lehkonen? Seems like Drouin is just as fine an option.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Coyotes are cool

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
was just perusing the NHL site and I saw this and thought "yea that makes sense"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
IMO the way it works in the east is that the only locks are Carolina, NYR, Toronto, and New Jersey. Tampa, Florida, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Buffalo could all fall anywhere from 5th to 9th in any order and I wouldn't be particularly surprised. The Islanders and Ottawa are teams I could see being a wild card playoff team if a lot goes right for them, but I don't see them finishing 3rd in their division.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Olen Zellweger has to be the most Star Wars rear end name in the history of the NHL

I think it's basically any of the Finnish guys to be honest. Finns have alien names.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
they should just park Ovi in front of the net and let Carlson and Sandin try to blast deflections off him

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

It's so annoying. I don't remember other guys getting this much coverage, even McDavid, but I could have just forgotten.

There was another headline I saw today that was like "Matthews and the Leafs fall to Bedard" or something and I looked at the boxscore and Bedard didn't have any points.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Has anyone told Seattle they're supposed to score goals

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
As a neutral fan who lives in DC and subsequently watches a lot of Caps games, I will say it's kind of in between. I think Laviolette is a good coach, I don't think he was the right coach for where the Caps were at. The Caps thought they were still in a window of contention when they hired him, or were trying to keep it open, and it just didn't work out that way, although he kept them somewhat competitive. He's definitely a coach who favors the veterans and he's probably not the guy you want if your goal is development, which is probably what the Caps should have been doing. For the Rangers, who are in a window of contention right now, I think he was a good hire. Although you may be disappointed at the opportunities (or lack thereof) that some of the younger players get.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

Tom Wilson is so slow now that he’s basically just Ryan Reaves, and his 7-year extension kicks in next season lol

who could have foreseen this

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I see Seattle saw my post about how they needed to score more. Probably printed it out and had it hung up in the locker room.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also Pastrnak scored one of the strangest goals I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1715220350877978652?t=eD4h4n2LqEgyckPbqSytAA&s=19

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I was waiting for him to trip at the end

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

One of these things is not like the others...

Boston is undefeated (Vegas and Colorado are the only others with no losses) and they haven't allowed more than 2 goals in any of their games.

Don't check who they played.

Although, kidding aside, people who think the Bruins are going to be bad this year are probably in for a surprise.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Jack Hughes rocks. I will always stan the best American hockey players. Please let us have the Olympics please. I need to see the best Americans of right now play Canada.

E: Was that Luke's first goal tonight too?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

Its going to rule when Vancouver ends up with all 3 Hughes brothers.

we all know Quinn is going to find his way to Jersey

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ovi really needs to get close to 40 this year to have a shot at the record imo. Even if they're like 90% empty netters and PPG. Father Time is already coming for him and it's only gonna get worse.

And yeah, this current Caps team looks godawful. They really should've traded Tom Wilson for a haul of prospects and picks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm looking forward to it. Going to Caps-Leafs that night and I think it'll be fun to see a game and be home by 9 instead of like 10:30/11 on a week night.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Interested to see how much people overrate the Red Wings in the near future. Couple big wins lately. Debrincat looked sick today too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Excited to see how many goals the Leafs dump on Washington tonight

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Someone should do Palestinian flag tape to really set off the old hockey guy demographic

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'll watch hockey until 3am on a weeknight I don't give a gently caress. What do I have to do tomorrow? Work? Pfffft

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I actually really like the staggered start times I dunno if people complaining are actually serious

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jhet posted:

My complaining is only serious when they put puck drop for a dumb time for the people going to the rink for it.

I'm going to the Caps game and it involved leaving work at 4pm instead of 5. No complaints.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I picked the side of the arena Toronto shoots on twice because I'm expecting the Caps to get fuckin shelled

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The schedule has been a real cupcake so far but Boston being undefeated and only allowing 7 goals through 6 games is pretty good.

Also: Matthew Poitras for Calder

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought he was an EBUG. Had no clue who he was.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the Sharks could turn things around real quickly if (when) they stink for the next two years. If they can get one of the top 2 picks this year, which seems reasonably likely, Celebrini and Eiserman are good pieces to build around. Probably not a generational talent level prospect but maybe like Matty Beniers level, which you probably take in a heartbeat if you're them. Will Smith should be good, and they got plenty of younger guys who can fill out the depth. Having Pittsburgh's pick is interesting. Ideally you probably hope that Pittsburgh is done for good and you end up with the unprotected pick in 2025, but even if it's in like that 11-20 range this year, that helps a lot even if they flip it. If Pittsburgh keeps their first this year though, sucks next year, and the Sharks suck next year, I could see them having 2 picks in the top 10 of 2025 which could be big for them. No idea what the 2025 draft looks like though. Michael Misa and James Hagens are the only names I've really heard of related to it. Misa is one of those guys who got granted exceptional status to play in the OHL. Hagens because he played with Eiserman at the USNTDP and looked really good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hearing that Shane Pinto has been hosting cock fights in his basement

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston Wicked is so insanely stupid/funny, I hope they do it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Leo Carlsson is pretty good, I dunno why the Ducks are sitting him for half the games.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hey this Dylan Strome fella is pretty good

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah he's easily their best forward and he's able to bring the best out of Ovechkin.

It's interesting because it seemed like the book on him was he couldn't carry a line but it does kinda seem like he's found his groove or whatever, he looks like a guy who got drafted 3rd overall. Even if it took him a while to get there. I realize it's also only been like 8 games.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh for sure. He definitely had a big year last year. But I feel like this year (and this might be a "me" thing) was a big test. The Caps are bad. They weren't great last year, but I thought this year would really expose the guys who couldn't play, and Strome has looked great while just about everyone else has not.

I think you're right, in an ideal world he's an elite 2C, but as a defacto 1C he's been a nice surprise so far.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
that looked like the Flyers I was expecting to see this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Caps are definitely bad, but the Sharks are on a whole other level. Like, the Caps have won some games and have more than 8 goals, for example.