Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I remember when Shanahan made a video explaining a non-suspension to Tom Wilson when he boarded I think it was Brayden Schenn. And it just made everyone mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie first line tonight.

Will they even be able to make it up and/or down the ice?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

God drat the Capitals "stars" looked absolutely miserable again. It took Darcy Kuemper posting a .950, Markstrom letting in a stinker, and Matthew Phillips scoring a goal to eke out a shootout win.

There's no path forward with this core. They really need to just let the clock run out on some of these contracts and give some of their young players more playing time.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Thank goodness for 2018 this would be unbearable without that miracle run

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Devon Levi is already injured huh. Who could have seen that coming.

Anyways Buffalo has been really overrated this offseason by the pundits. I know things can change but I thought it was a bit wild that so many people had them in the postseason and a lot of talking heads even had them above Boston somehow IIRC.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Caps really do look to have fallen off, wow. Wilson especially, I had to check at one point during the 2nd to see if he was even playing.

Extending Wilson was the stupidest decision possible but also I get why MacLellan extended him because the fanbase would have gone apeshit if he was traded away since Capitals fans are morons.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Out of all of the Capitals so far I think I'm most annoyed by Tom Wilson. Backstrom's hip is shot, Oshie can't play golf any more because of back pain, and Ovechkin is just old as gently caress. But Wilson has no excuses and is out there gliding around doing nothing. He's not even looking to kill people any more. Of course to be fair I'd check out of my job if my dumbass employer gave me a 7 x $6.5M extension too.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This dude played in and won his first NHL game tonight.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

hey this Dylan Strome fella is pretty good

Yeah he's easily their best forward and he's able to bring the best out of Ovechkin.

Backstrom, on the other hand, looks absolutely finished. He can barely move and has no strength on the puck any more.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Yup, I’m ready to healthy scratch him to retirement.

Yeah and they need to prioritize getting McMichael significant minutes at center. They have basically no other centers in the pipeline besides McMichael and they can't have Backstrom's shell blocking his NHL development.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's interesting because it seemed like the book on him was he couldn't carry a line but it does kinda seem like he's found his groove or whatever, he looks like a guy who got drafted 3rd overall. Even if it took him a while to get there. I realize it's also only been like 8 games.

Strome was also very good last year. He scored 65 points and generally brought the best out of his linemates.

I wouldn't call him a true 1C but he's an excellent 2C and can pass as a 1C on a bad team like the Capitals. When Strome was in Chicago people attributed his success to playing with Kane and DeBrincat. Of course now it seems like Kane was probably the one being propped up.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think they assumed he was basically being carried by Kane/Debrincat and he wasn't worth it. Seems kind of wild in retrospect. He's 26 and would have totally fit with the Bedard rebuild.

Yeah obviously DeBrincat is great but it's funny how much credit was given to Kane and how little was given to Strome. Glad Washington took a flyer on Strome because without him their center depth is the worst in the league.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It should have been obvious that Kane was the one being carried there.

Yeah I can't say I watched him much in Chicago but the analytics were pretty clear on Strome being a strong player and Kane struggling.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I love how coaches/GMs will always make excuses for their lovely depth players but the moment a star player makes a defensive mistake they need to be Taught A Lesson

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I like the Hockey PDOCast. They have a good variety of topics and have a bit more of an analytical bent that most shows but it's hardly a numbers only podcast.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd argue Ken Holland deserves to keep his job indefinitely, because he entertains me.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We don't have to worry about Celebrini going to Edmonton. They're going to rig the lottery again for Chicago.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

HookShot posted:

How the gently caress do the Caps have seven wins? I swear they've won like 2 games in my head.

Played some bad teams and also Backstrom going on LTIR significantly improved them, sad as it is to say.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Thank goodness he's on the final year of his deal and didn't just get signed to a mega-extension for the duration of his 30s

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gustafsson was quite good in DC and it was funny seeing Toronto healthy scratch him in the postseason after he was traded to them.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Tage Thompson broke his hand or something blocking a shot. (Edit I guess he got cut?)

Looks like the Sabres are the same Sabres as always.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 15, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington somehow has the third best points percentage in the East, behind only Boston and NYR.

This is all while Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Carlson have had varying degrees of bad seasons.

Also Dylan Strome kicks rear end. And Rasmus Sandin was a shrewd pickup. Sandin leads the NHL in EV TOI and has looked mighty competent in doing so.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://x.com/swhyno/status/1727731137529733297?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

With the exception of Dylan Strome, how good Washington's players are is inversely proportional to their salaries.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is ThinkTank okay? Does anyone know?

Yeah I'm actually a little worried. Has he posted elsewhere?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Love that the NHL makes rules so dumb that they can't even enforce them when broken because the PR hit would be so bad

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This is the worst slap fight ever. I'd rather Rex and others do 5 pages of penguins posting

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I wish Tom Wilson was still a shithead. At least that would represent some sort of effort even if it's a malicious effort. Now he just collects a paycheck and trips over himself all the time.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why does John Hynes keep getting jobs

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

bring on Phil Kessel

More like Patrick Kane Round 2

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Just lol that NHL's version of "The Decision" was about a washed up dude coming off hip surgery that no fans actually want on their team

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals keep bullshitting wins and I like that

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I always thought Laviolette was a good coach in terms of implementing modern systems. He was just terrible in terms of player evaluation on Washington and he seemed worse than the average coach in terms of hating younger players.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Well I think Ovechkin might be finished. Never seen him play worse than this season.

It was a fun ride.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

how do the Caps keep winning

This was one of their only wins that they actually deserved. Most of their other wins have been Charlie Lindgren standing on his head.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

He's either playing injured or just stinks now. I don't think he's checked out or hates his coach or whatever. He's old and he can't skate any more and now his hands are also gone.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hate to say it but NYR seems like the favorite right now. For as much as Laviolette wasn't a fit in DC I thought he was pretty good tactically in the postseason. he just didn't have the horses to actually win.

I think Vegas might be the best team but their path (some combination of EDM/LA/VAN) is much harder than the Rangers. Carolina and New Jersey might get back on track but unless NJ trades for a good goalie I can't take them seriously. And NYR just has Carolina's number even when Carolina is playing well. Other than that no one in the Metro can be any real threat.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 19, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't hate the Penguins any more but I definitely hate the Hurricanes and to a lesser extent the Rangers.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

They don’t really have a hateable player besides Tony D but ya something about the Hurricanes pisses me off. Sebastian Aho and a bunch of middle 6ers rear end team

Brent Burns has become so bad that not even Rod’s system can hide him anymore, and it owns

Brind'Amour irritates me too. Always has this whiny look on his face and I feel like Carolina gets away with more interference and other penalties than most other teams.

Also I hate the storm surge. That's some corny poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Tom Wilson has 19 points in 36 games and was selected as an all star.

This team blows.