Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what’s libux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

its fine for browsing or w/e and nicer than powers hell for running scripts

games, no. media creation, no. but its a fine consumption OS

yeah that’s why apple uses it for all their devices

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m buying a new mobo and cpu and some ram and stuff to update my current system and use the old parts for a plex box and little nifty things to mess around with, and I think that I’m gonna give Linux a fair shake for gaming. I don’t want adverts on my OS, and win11 sounds like it’s bad? idk I’m still on 10

anyways, it is the year of the Linux for gaming

gentoo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

i deleted my windows 11 and put kubuntu on instead and it feels serene and pleasant by comparison. thank you linux

your welcome

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

lot of lignux apologists here in the linux haters thread

its very sad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

what does this mean

you ever heard of hiroshima?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

im gonna be honest with you guys: i like linux and its the operating system of the computer that i actually own

you have a mac?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gentoo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

everyone post ur session cookies. jonny first

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Asleep Style posted:

speedrun your linux journey by starting with nixos

good 2nd choice after gentoo. w/ nixos you can finally have repeatable haskell builds

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ryanrs posted:

Setting my serial adapter to the RK3399's weird default baud rate of 1,500,000.
code:
560 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 115200
561 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 230400
562 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1500000
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
563 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 1843200
564 ~$ stty -f /dev/tty.usbserial-AB0KNDIJ 3686400
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
gently caress, it doesn't like the non-standard 1.5M baud rate. But 1.5M is not actually that weird. USB controllers have an internal 48 MHz clock to do USB stuff. That is usually generated from a 12 MHz crystal. Generally the serial port baud rate generator is fed from the 48 MHz USB clock, perhaps divided down a bit.

Cracking open the Baofeng adapter, the only chip inside is a FTDI FT232RL which does indeed feed a 48 MHz clock to its baud rate generator.

So 1.5M baud should be possible. Maybe it's Mac OS that doesn't like setting the weird baud rate? Time to tag in the Rock Pi S from page 1, the one with the wifi driver problems. Under Linux, 1.5M baud works fine.

code:
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500000
rock@rockpis:/dev$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 1500001
stty: invalid argument ‘1500001’
Try 'stty --help' for more information.
So that worked. Here's the full boot log from the RockPro64. No obvious PCIe errors, though.

Hmmmm. Any ideas?

no, sorry

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nobody Interesting posted:

it might honestly just be that pacman spoiled me. it downloads the files, and extracts them to the place. in comparison, apt is like doing a bank transfer.

??? bank transfers take milliseconds

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i feel like if your spending a significant part of your life waiting for a package manager. its either coffee time at work, or if its not for work, what are you doing. stop it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tankakern posted:

i wouldn't recommend it

stopped reading here lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i also have strong opinions about dnf/yum/rpm vs apt-get/apt/dpkg

NOT!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nerds

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont recognize that as a valid occupation

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

can you really call that "work"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

see? this guy thinks five sentences specifically replying to things mentioned in the op is three paragraphs, he's an idiot. sorry five sentences are such a monumental lift for you

you don't have to compile anything on clear, all of the packages are already optimized. either way use whatever you want, i don't care

i also dont care!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i havent installed a desktop linux for like, idk, 8 years?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fresh_cheese posted:

:wrong:

ubuntu is “i just want everything to work”

debian is “i just want everything to work for a headless server and i am probably going to run this without touching it for many many years”

fedora is “i want the most current kernel and userspace within reason”

rhel is “i want to run this for 8 years and i want to pay somebody to fix my issues specifically if i find any”

opensuse/sles are the same as fedora/rhel but with better internationalization and a more pragmatic approach to backporting/retrofiting fixes vs starting at upstream and waiting for the support to trickle down to a release like RH does

clear is “i want everything compiled with -O6 insane optimizer flags using intels secret sauce compiler”

gentoo is clear but compiling it yourself and learning how far is too far for optimizations. it also is kinda good at teaching you how the linux os works since you have to build and connect and config the whole thing

arch is like gentoo but with no compiling

what about nix os

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Captain Foo posted:

it’s definitely pipewire. i mitigated the worst of it by manually setting quantum values real low and also switching over the output device to non amp instead of an amp, but it’s still crackly

try asio

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

gnome is the mac of linux windowmanagers

xfce is the linux of linyux window managers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont like linux

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

this is going to sound like an advertisement but: you can make kde function like macos with just a couple of clicks. just download a theme from control center and apply it

it's unlikely but i guess you might have to add a global menubar widget yourself if the theme doesn't come with one, but that's also extremely easy, just right click on the desktop and go to add widget

also you want to download plank for a dock probably, it's dead simple to set up and use ime. others that are good but more complex are docky and latte dock

i feel like you keep saying you're trying kde but are not actually doing that. all of these things are pretty easy and even easily discoverable, and we're talking about linux here ffs

im not actually trying kde, or gnome

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

i hope you have some real friends around here because when you’re getting melty about linuxpionions you’ve got some serious mental poo poo going on

if anyone actually gives a gently caress about beeftweeter now would be a good time for an intervention. tia

it’s just linux window managers op it doesn’t really matter or merit an intervention

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

beeftweeter has convinced me to use kde if i ever need to use desktop linux again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

if kde seems cool to you then, great, fart. enjoy its many options and incredible Mac themes and, uh, maybe its nebulous ability to maybe or maybe not add something that may or may not resemble the mac global menu bar :) :awesome:

cool is a stretch. it seems fine for what it is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

can you use Clear with a Ryzen? I thought you specifically said you can’t lol

im jizzin for ryzen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

outhole surfer posted:

why are there two linux threads
this is so confusing

there’s at least 3. there’s also the linux help thread on page 2

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

i just realized that "ppa" is just app spelled backwards

do you like linux?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

there’s at least 3. there’s also the linux help thread on page 2

update: the yospos israel/palestine thread is turning into yet another linux thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

there's a lot of things i'm prepared to tolerate funny computer jokes about but this isnt one of them

youre loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

Micro$oft

reported