Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

fridge corn posted:

Yeah, again I'm only about 7 hours in having just done the 3 "bandits" boss with the one dude who does the rune attack that hits your front row for like 3/4ths of their health. It was nice to be able to see that attack coming and prepare for it by defending which significantly reduces the damage. Also I had brought along Yusuke who gets a significant attack boost when defending! . I know it doesn't sound like much but I appreciate a tiny bit more thought goes into the combat than just spamming your most powerful attacks

If you're having that experience are you maybe underlevelled? If you're on PC have you been doing the FPS thing so you actually get random encounters? Or maybe not getting your armour upgraded?
NORMAL enemies hit quite hard but bosses often don't, surprisingly so. Like I'll have a bit where they do some massive attack and I get ready to heal and realise I've only taken like a fifth of my health.
Unless maybe you've got it on hard or something, I'm just playing on default difficulty.

And yea the voice acting for me is all over the place. Random accents and some really poo poo performances. Some people are great (Perielle is definitely one) but some are loving atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

fridge corn posted:

Haha, see my above post! Wasn't impressed by Yusuke until I had him in that fight ;)

I'm looking forward to when he gets his magic rune and I can set up some truly massive hits on bosses by charging twice, using the buff spell from an elemental enchantment rune (and probably adding other buffs, such as Falward and Francesca's combo), and popping off with Armor-Piercing Strike.

By the way, Falward is very interestingly designed, and shows the somewhat experimental approach taken with some of the cast. Dude's stats are absolutely goddamn insane, but his rune slots are terrible. It's an interesting approach to balance.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I do find it really faffy trying to get runes on and off people as well, I think that could be done a bit better.
I've unlocked a load of passive rune slots right now but actually not found any passive runes!

Also the description of some runes - mostly the "Enhancement" ones - are kinda poo poo. I couldn't work out what they did AT ALL but the answer is "they give you a castable buff". It makes it sound like they allow you to equip certain weapons!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Taear posted:

If you're having that experience are you maybe underlevelled? If you're on PC have you been doing the FPS thing so you actually get random encounters? Or maybe not getting your armour upgraded?
NORMAL enemies hit quite hard but bosses often don't, surprisingly so. Like I'll have a bit where they do some massive attack and I get ready to heal and realise I've only taken like a fifth of my health.
Unless maybe you've got it on hard or something, I'm just playing on default difficulty.

And yea the voice acting for me is all over the place. Random accents and some really poo poo performances. Some people are great (Perielle is definitely one) but some are loving atrocious.

I think my team was level 12 for that fight. I had bought all the best available armour before entering the mine. Playing on PS5 and on normal, so dunno what the discrepancy is. :confused:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I think my team was level 12 for that fight. I had bought all the best available armour before entering the mine. Playing on PS5 and on normal, so dunno what the discrepancy is. :confused:

Honestly with this game it could be bugs, who knows.
I've found damage extremely weird and swingy. Like Garr gets hit for 1 (he does have armour AND a high defence score) whereas Lian gets hit for 70 and Nowa gets hit for 40 all from the same enemy. Nowa and Lian have almost identical defence stats and no armour, I assume it's down to damage types but I can't really tell what they're weak to and WHY they're weak to it.

And using "Defend" doesn't make that damage lower in any appreciable way.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Taear posted:

I'm 20 hours in and I've not found this.
That said with the last boss I'd gone to a place where enemies were a ton higher level so I was level 36 instead of level 30 and absolutely thrashed it.

Don't get me wrong the fights are fun but Defend seems broken to the point where it doesn't do anything.

HOWEVER Garr has a Rune of Armour and he takes 1 damage from basically everything. It feels like cheating almost how impossible he is to hurt.

My biggest issue with Magic is that it's weirdly slow. What's the fuckin' point of that Earth spell that stuns things if it goes last???

For Defend commands, it really depends on the character.
Characters have different versions of the Defend command, some of them don't really seem to help much, and others are really good.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Taear posted:

I've found damage extremely weird and swingy. Like Garr gets hit for 1 (he does have armour AND a high defence score) whereas Lian gets hit for 70 and Nowa gets hit for 40 all from the same enemy. Nowa and Lian have almost identical defence stats and no armour, I assume it's down to damage types but I can't really tell what they're weak to and WHY they're weak to it.

Vanilla Defend roughly halves damage, I've definitely seen it work when I'm powerleveling underleveled characters.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Taear posted:

I mean, there was a patch on PS5 like yesterday or the day before so maybe it's something that got fixed lol??? :shrug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EclecticTastes posted:

Vanilla Defend roughly halves damage, I've definitely seen it work when I'm powerleveling underleveled characters.

Again I'm thinking it might be down to damage type. I had my entire party defend against the armour boss in the tree place and the difference in damage was nothing at all. But maybe it's a magic attack and therefore Defend doesn't work against it?
Or again, maybe just a bug, it was the day before release.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Taear posted:

I do find it really faffy trying to get runes on and off people as well, I think that could be done a bit better.
I've unlocked a load of passive rune slots right now but actually not found any passive runes!

Also the description of some runes - mostly the "Enhancement" ones - are kinda poo poo. I couldn't work out what they did AT ALL but the answer is "they give you a castable buff". It makes it sound like they allow you to equip certain weapons!

My one criticism of combat would be that runes are generally not customisable enough. Every character seems to have mostly locked in runes, I think I'd collected like 10 runes before I could even change a single one on a character. I know Suikoden did this too and had even fewer rune slots, but it would be cool to have more freedom to build your characters and mix up different runes. Maybe that will become more of a thing later

I also miss multi hits, I think they do exist but can't work out what determines them? Lian sometimes seems to get a 3 hit combo, but Mio who has insane speed/Dex only ever hits once. I thought that her lovely str stat would be offset by multi hits or crits, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Her speed makes her a really good healer though

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

My one criticism of combat would be that runes are generally not customisable enough. Every character seems to have mostly locked in runes, I think I'd collected like 10 runes before I could even change a single one on a character. I know Suikoden did this too and had even fewer rune slots, but it would be cool to have more freedom to build your characters and mix up different runes. Maybe that will become more of a thing later

Part of the issue is that rune slots are generally locked into specific categories, so even when a character doesn't have unique runes taking up slots, it may be hard to find something to put in there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EclecticTastes posted:

Part of the issue is that rune slots are generally locked into specific categories, so even when a character doesn't have unique runes taking up slots, it may be hard to find something to put in there.

Yea this is what I'm finding.
I guess in reality suikoden worked that way (because some characters would be loving shite with magic runes so even though it let you give it to them they could barely use it) but somehow it still feels restrictive?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah, and runes dont exactly provide a lot of skills so you're waiting to slap one attack in or at most a small pool of mostly useless spells

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah, and runes dont exactly provide a lot of skills so you're waiting to slap one attack in or at most a small pool of mostly useless spells

Like I've got a rune called Sleep Attack. It requires a 3 slot rune, so it's considered the same power as the level 2 Water rune.
But it has one attack, it does "normal damage" and it sometimes makes things go to sleep.

I don't quite get how it considers the current rune (four quite decent spells, honestly) as the same as this attack.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If I'm going to criticize anything about the combat, it's the unite attacks being completely useless. My characters can team up and expend all of their SP, or they can just attack separately and do twice as much damage.

The exception is the one healer combo which heals everybody for 200+ health. Whoever balanced this game was drunk.

Paperhouse posted:

I also miss multi hits, I think they do exist but can't work out what determines them? Lian sometimes seems to get a 3 hit combo, but Mio who has insane speed/Dex only ever hits once. I thought that her lovely str stat would be offset by multi hits or crits, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Her speed makes her a really good healer though

Characters attack a number of times based on their weapon strength. Mio has a strong weapon, she swings once. Lian has a medium weapon at half that strength, she swings twice. Sabine has a weak weapon one-third the strength of a strong weapon, so she swings three times. Everyone's weapons are at one of those three levels.

Attributes aren't explained anywhere, but Dex seems to function as an accuracy stat, and I would presume that Luck affects crit chance.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If I'm going to criticize anything about the combat, it's the unite attacks being completely useless. My characters can team up and expend all of their SP, or they can just attack separately and do twice as much damage.

The exception is the one healer combo which heals everybody for 200+ health. Whoever balanced this game was drunk.

Characters attack a number of times based on their weapon strength. Mio has a strong weapon, she swings once. Lian has a medium weapon at half that strength, she swings twice. Sabine has a weak weapon one-third the strength of a strong weapon, so she swings three times. Everyone's weapons are at one of those three levels.

Jr/Sr was strong for me for a short time. Like for one boss battle it did more damage than they did combined, usually because it had a very high crit chance.
Also where are you getting that weapon strength thing from? The S/M/L thing is range not strength if that's what you're looking at.

What's really funny is Lian and Nowa are both M range but Jr/Sr is short range so it will only work if one of them is in the front row. The game doesn't tell you this anywhere.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Taear posted:

Jr/Sr was strong for me for a short time. Like for one boss battle it did more damage than they did combined, usually because it had a very high crit chance.
Also where are you getting that weapon strength thing from? The S/M/L thing is range not strength if that's what you're looking at.

What's really funny is Lian and Nowa are both M range but Jr/Sr is short range so it will only work if one of them is in the front row. The game doesn't tell you this anywhere.

Nah not talking about the range. Check the weapon strength values when you upgrade weapons at the smith. This value corresponds to the number of times the character swings; the weaker the weapon, the more times they swing. Francesca has lower Dex than Mio, but Fran always swings twice and Mio always swings once. The difference is their weapon strength value.

But I just checked and there appears to be a fourth even lower value than the three I mentioned; Perrielle has a particularly weak weapon and seems to attack four or five times. Her animation makes it hard to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Nah not talking about the range. Check the weapon strength values when you upgrade weapons at the smith. This value corresponds to the number of times the character swings; the weaker the weapon, the more times they swing. Francesca has lower Dex than Mio, but Fran always swings twice and Mio always swings once. The difference is their weapon strength value.

But I just checked and there appears to be a fourth even lower value than the three I mentioned; Perrielle has a particularly weak weapon and seems to attack four or five times. Her animation makes it hard to tell.

yea I think she attacks 4 times
It's pretty frustrating how much stuff isn't documented. Like you say, why doesn't it tell us what dex does??